Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,278 members, 7,849,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:27 PM

Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? (7488 Views)

Poll: What say ye?

Yes: 60% (39 votes)
No: 39% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu / These Women Really Need The Wardrobe Allowance More (photo) / The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by kabukabu50(m): 9:52pm On Nov 16, 2011
Jakumo:

Nigerian law permits gun ownership already, 2Buff. With that license any civilian resident of Nigeria with no criminal record [/i]may LEGALLY own and use a double-barrelled shotgun or bolt-action rifle, though neither of those two categories of firearm are ideal for self-defence. Indeed, the small-print of Nigerian firearm licence booklets includes the stern admonition that the licenced weapon is authorized for use ONLY as a "hunting and gaming" instrument. Finally, by Nigerian law, ONLY serving or retired SENIOR military and law enforcement officers are permitted to legally posses handguns, and anyone else apprehended with one will either cough up serious bribe money or do time in the pokey.

To serve up rapid and profuse follow-up shots that are paramount in self-defence scenarios, ONLY a pump-action shotgun will do, but to qualify for [i]legal
ownership of a pump, one would need to join a neighborhood vigilante group, which ought to be workable for anyone willing to spare the loose change that will buy exemption from vigilante patrol duty. With that paperwork hurdle scaled, do NOT be tempted to acquire a semi-auto shotgun, because they jam frequently and that takes precious seconds to clear. Furthermore, a seasoned hand operating a pump-action shotgun can blast away as rapidly as any autoloader, while un-jamming way faster, if needed.

Say No to semi-auto, aim true, shoot safe and NEVER waste your ammo on warning shots.

Well said grin

ode remo:

Guns are everywhere now, no dulling. Even private guards with heavy weapons now patrol your reedeem church and other places of worship, @ shagamu in ogun state vigillantes with guns patrol openly during the day and night, same within all that remo axis, reason cos the community have to step up and protect their ppl as the nigeria security system have totally collapsed.
Dont kid yourself guys, protect yourself and family.
Report any crime @ the station and u pay them toeven write you a report talkless of investigate .

No be lie, Putting trust in olokpa to protect your hard earned money and loved ones is a grave mistake.
Years back I experienced a robbery that took over one hour, remain smallthe robbers for pull out chair begin knack gist while dem rob us. grin
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Wallie(m): 9:52pm On Nov 16, 2011
Nobody want to die but I would rather die on my feet than on my knees!

Benelli M4 Super 90 or AR15s?

Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 10:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
those of you saying yes I wonder what you're thinking, Its NIGERIA we're talking about oh, a Country full of mad men in clean clothes, this will definitely increase death rate drastically
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Horus(m): 10:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
The question we should ask is: Does more guns mean less crimes?
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by gascoign1(m): 10:52pm On Nov 16, 2011
Cant wait to own one
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 16, 2011
Natasha,,:

those of you saying yes I wonder what you're thinking, Its NIGERIA we're talking about oh, a Country full of mad men in clean clothes, this will definitely increase death rate drastically

I see people are still looking at things from a "nothing has affected me yet" position. It's not your fault dear. It is the typical nigerian mentality you have been surrounded with and hence grown up with.

I'm sure your tone would change if your dearest uncle's family house was broken into,
looted,
your uncle's wife and his daughters(your beloved cousins) brutally and continually  r[i]a[/i]ped
while your uncle was forced to watch.
And, if he's lucky, he gets shot afterwards.

When all this while this would have been easily prevented if the man had a gun firing at the robbers outside from the safety of his house, causing them to scatter and run as "this one no be easy job oo".
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by bigsean(m): 11:24pm On Nov 16, 2011
@2buff, as much as i see ur point, the price to pay for everyone having a gun go nastily high oh.
Altough, on code i go get gun 1st thing if i show nig, no stories.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by bigsean(m): 11:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
Its just an unwritten law in nig, if u earn above a certain tax bracket, U must get Gun, (on code oh)
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 16, 2011
Y'all know that at a certain point in his ministry when danger was imminent, Jesus told his disciples to sell some stuff and buy a sword. They were only able to buy one, to which he responded "It is enough"  cool

My guy, just one gun, is enough to prevent some of the atrocities I hear in naija everyday  cool
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 11:56pm On Nov 16, 2011
2buff:

I see people are still looking at things from a "nothing has affected me yet" position. It's not your fault dear. It is the typical nigerian mentality you have been surrounded with and hence grown up with.

I'm sure your tone would change if your dearest uncle's family house was broken into,
looted,
your uncle's wife and his daughters(your beloved cousins) brutally and continually  r[i]a[/i]ped
while your uncle was forced to watch.
And, if he's lucky, he gets shot afterwards.

When all this while this would have been easily prevented if the man had a gun firing at the robbers outside from the safety of his house, causing them to scatter and run as "this one no be easy job oo".
That's where you're wrong, my family has been robbed before, my  Father was shot it was  God's grace that kept him alive, but so because that happened I should carry a gun?  shocked come one, does it have to boil down to one of my family member been killed? this is what you don't understand, just look at the statement you made  it wouldn't be wrong if i say that such incident has robed the victim of ''clear thinking'' hence the reason for saying we should carry arms. Following this its obvious that that judgement coming from such a person is definitely not right because the persons sense of clear judgement has been blinded by his unfavourable experience. I will not let mine to be blinded by any experience. Carrying arms is just a no no no and I don't think any reasonable person will say such   
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 17, 2011
Read previous post my dear.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 12:04am On Nov 17, 2011
BTW 2buff if that happens God forbid all I will pray for is that justice prevails and not to carry arms for what? so that at the slightest provocation you can kill someone and blame it on the devil, so that people can start killing those they don't like because they might never get caught, so that arguments would be settled by gun shots? or so that senseless teenagers can go on shooting rampage, probably when you get shot by one you would have a rethink. Just why? oh you think its for self defence really how well can you defend your self from a gun man standing distance away from you? a gun man you can't even see? tell me, How well can you defend your self when you find yourself in a situation where your gun isn't reachable? tell me? or having so many guys attacking you and eventually using your own  gun made for ''self defence'' to kill you  cheesy  
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 12:08am On Nov 17, 2011
I just read your previous post, you're talking about the US and their legalising carrying of arms really? so how come their crime rate is still increasing, how come they have so many unsolved murders? how come hey have the highest rate of violation cases in the world? My dear carrying of arms solves nothing.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 17, 2011
Poster watches too many movies. Guns are already legal in Nigeria, as long as you have a license. To pass a law which allows people carry guns always will increase the crime rate, not reduce it. Moreover, most of the poor Nigerian masses won't be able to afford one
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 17, 2011
Natasha,,:

BTW 2buff if that happens God forbid all I will pray for is that justice prevails and not to carry arms for what? so that at the slightest provocation you can kill someone and blame it on the devil, so that people can start killing those they don't like because they might never get caught, so that arguments would be settled by gun shots? or so that senseless teenagers can go on shooting rampage, probably when you get shot by one you would have a rethink. Just why? oh you think its for self defence really how well can you defend your self from a gun man standing distance away from you? a gun man you can't even see? tell me, How well can you defend your self when you find yourself in a situation where your gun isn't reachable? tell me? or having so many guys attacking you and eventually using your own  gun made for ''self defence'' to kill you  cheesy   

Like someone already said, people are allowed to have guns in their homes. This is good, all I'm saying is if everyone actually tried to go out and get one for their home, robbers would not have such a field day destroying lives every night. And fanatical muslim f*cks wouldn't find it so easy to kill and r#pe people undisturbed in service of some demon god. Do you agree or disagree with this?

these things go on for HOURS with no one intervening, because there is nothing near-by in the various homes to use against these offenders.

Natasha,,:

I just read your previous post, you're talking about the US and their legalising carrying of arms really? so how come their crime rate is still increasing, how come they have so many unsolved murders? how come hey have the highest rate of violation cases in the world? My dear carrying of arms solves nothing.

You totally missed it. That was not my previous post. trace again.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 17, 2011
We should be calling for a law which bans the possession of guns for civilians. Guns will not be allowed to be imported into the country, unless for police/military. That way, it gets harder for criminals/terrorists to get hold of weapons to use.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 12:21am On Nov 17, 2011
2buff:

Like someone already said, people are allowed to have guns in their homes. This is good, all I'm saying is if everyone actually tried to go out and get one for their home, robbers would not have such a field day destroying lives every night. And religious f*cks wouldn't find it so easy to kill and r#pe people undisturbed in service of some demon god. Do you agree or disagree with this?

Yes I disagree 100% if things worked that way how come the  US has the highest rate of r@pe cases in the world?  How come people just wake up one day and go on killing holiday? answer me 2buff how come?   when soldiers are on war front do they get scared because the other party also possess arms? NO its bumper to bumper,
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:23am On Nov 17, 2011
nwanna89:

We should be calling for a law which bans the possession of guns for civilians. Guns will not be allowed to be imported into the country, unless for police/military. That way, it gets harder for criminals/terrorists to get hold of weapons to use.

there are tons of laws to ban tons of things. How's that been working out?  cheesy

All you create is a disbalance in the system where the bad seed do their usual thing (disobey the law and import guns) while the good seed obey the law and don't.
All that would do is create a situation where the good seed are doubly f*cked whenever the bad seed feels like buying a new mercedez but not with their own money.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 12:25am On Nov 17, 2011
2buff:

ewo 2buff so you sabi lie like this  grin grin grin no be you start this thread?  shocked shocked shocked or are you talking about the last post you made before I posted on this thread?
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:29am On Nov 17, 2011
Natasha,,:

Yes I disagree 100% if things worked that way how come the  US has the highest rate of r@pe cases in the world?  How come people just wake up one day and go on killing holiday? answer me 2buff how come?   when soldiers are on war front do they get scared because the other party also possess arms? NO its bumper to bumper,

Who's talking about US this instant?

Natasha,,:

ewo 2buff so you sabi lie like this  grin grin grin no be you start this thread?  shocked shocked shocked or are you talking about the last post you made before I posted on this thread?
Ok you seem to have trouble tracing "immediately previous" posts. You're instead going several pages back. Here I'll repost what I intended u to read:
2buff:

Y'all know that at a certain point in his ministry when danger was imminent, Jesus told his disciples to sell some stuff and buy a sword. They were only able to buy one, to which he responded "It is enough"  cool

My guy, just one gun, is enough to prevent some of the atrocities I hear in naija everyday  cool

(come to think of it , it was probably 2 swords) So again I tell you, wisdom is profitable to direct. If you are living anywhere in the north or even ABUJA as things are looking, I highly suggest you guys get one for your homes. Because when poo goes down, it won't be funny.
You SHOULDN'T have to be like sheep slaughtered on the alter of some demon god. The chances of you going on to live normal lives after such events are highly increased if you GO AND GET A GUN FOR YOUR HOMES.

Those abokis are furious. I don talk my own  cheesy
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 12:37am On Nov 17, 2011
2buff:

Who's talking about US this instant?
Ok you seem to have trouble tracing "immediately previous" posts. You're instead going several pages back. Here I'll repost what I intended u to read:
So again I tell you, wisdom is profitable to direct. If you are living anywhere in the north or even ABUJA as things are looking, I highly suggest you guys get one for your homes. Because when poo goes down, it won't be funny.
why do you keep shying away from the us thing? since they are the one with it why won't I make examples with them? isn't it their system you want to follow?

okay tell me this 2buff how useful is a gun to you when an armed robber comes in the dead of the night with you lying unconsciously on your bed? lemme give you this instance this morning a gentle man of the road visited my neighbour, collected his valuables through the window. He only realised this when he woke up. Now this is my big question, even if my neighbour had a gun, what would he have done with it when he was in deep sleep? tell me what if they came to kill him? wouldn't they have shot him? with him lying on the bed and not knowing what's was happening around him? Carrying of arms is certainly not the way forward.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 17, 2011
^^  And why do you keep shying away from the fact that having a gun in the home drastically increases your family's chance of survival?

Okay I will follow you and face the US issue. The reason I ignored u on this one is because u were just talking out of bravado. You say US has the "highest rate of violation cases" (na only that one u see?).
No be just to talk and voke my little strumpet. I've always known the charts, and you're not even close. Post evidence and the facts to back up this your statement. Until then, I can't do but ignore all that mosquito noise.

-----

As to the guy that got robbed from window. We thank God. When a thief comes with only stealing on his mind he comes with stealth. Armed robbers are more bold and don't have time for window runs. That aside, how will they use window to enter if you are on the top floor of a 2 storey building? They GATs to come through that door, and they simply die if they break the door open. Simple.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 17, 2011
Takes me quite a few years back when I used to spend some nights in my grampa's house. He is a retired soldier.
Late at night when we heard gunshots in the distance (which meant nefarious activity was afoot), he would take his rifle to the balcony and fire into the air to warn off evil folk that if they step foot onto his compound, they die. It's usually in the morning we then hear that this neighbour was robbed and that neighbour was robbed and killed, etc etc.

Everyone in naija needs a gun @ home.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 1:10am On Nov 17, 2011
2buff:

^^  And why do you keep shying away from the fact that having a gun in the home drastically increases your family's chance of survival?

Okay I will follow you and face the US issue. The reason I ignored u on this one is because u were just talking out of bravado. You say US has the "highest rate of violation c@ses".
No be just to talk and voke my little strumpet. I've always known the charts, and you're not even close. Post evidence and the facts to back up this your statement. Until then, I can't do but ignore all that mosquito noise.

-----

As to the guy that got robbed from window. We thank God. When a thief comes with only stealing on his mind he comes with stealth. Armed robbers are more bold and don't have time for window runs. That aside, how will they use window to enter if you are on the top floor of a 2 storey building? They GATs to come through that door, and they simply die if they break the door open. Simple.

great I just saw the recent chat lolz  grin okay fine I was wrong but you wouldn't still deny the fact that they still have a very high rate of violation case tongue tongue besides 59% of violation cases are not even reported in the us  

anyways this was where i got that from http://www.mecasa.org/statistics.html

okay that's where you go wrong again even if it was two storey building they can still do the same, few months ago armed robbers visited, while trying to match the door open repeatedly my dad herd the sound and screamed and I believe that was because we didn't turn on the gen. Now take for instance the gen was turned on, they match the door open get into the house and you're are still snoring upstairs how well can your ''gun'' help you?
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 17, 2011
Natasha,,:

great I just saw the recent chat lolz  grin but you wouldn't still deny the fact that they still have a very high rate of violation case tongue tongue besides 59% of violation cases are not even reported in the us  

And you want to compare that to violation cases in naija? either unreported or recorded  shocked shocked cheesy
You'll notice that nowhere will you even see such an index for NAIJA because popo don't give a damn to be collating such data.
I promise you if ever there were a truthful compilation of such an index for naija, you would be disgustingly surprised.

okay that's where you go wrong again even if it was two storey building they can still do the same, few months ago armed robbers visited, while trying to match the door open repeatedly my dad herd the sound and screamed and I believe that was because we didn't turn on the gen. Now take for instance the gen was turned on, they match the door open get into the house and you're are still snoring upstairs how well can your ''gun'' help you?

Do you run your gen in your rooms ( like I've heard some people do) that you won't hear when someone is curb-stomping your door down?  undecided
And that aside, a lot of people also have iron gates in the house. The noise it will take them to break through that thing is enough for you to be pop-locked, and chilling in a tactical position waiting for the first unfortunate fool to walk through the door (while sipping on coffee of-course  tongue).
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 1:23am On Nov 17, 2011
2buff:

And you want to compare that to violation cases in naija? either unreported or recorded  shocked shocked cheesy
You'll notice that nowhere will you even see such an index for NAIJA because popo don't give a damn to be collating such data.
I promise you if ever there were a truthful compilation of such an index for naija, you would be disgustingly surprised.

Do you run your gen in your rooms ( like I've heard some people do) that you won't hear when someone is curb-stomping your door down?  undecided
lmao don't even compare US to Nigeria we are so below in that aspect, I think I saw a thread containing those details maybe I'll check for it later

okay your second question was uncalled for I think if we did that I'll be dead my now , besides are you in abroad? are you ignorant of the noise pollution of a generator especially when its wearing off?
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 1:25am On Nov 17, 2011
The second question was totally called for as I couldn't process how you claim generator noise can mask the sound of your house door been booted off it's hinges.

Unless maybe it was made of cloth or something?    grin

though I'm in Canada, I've lived in naija long enough to know the generator situation. And trust, it's not as bad as to deafen you to such happenings.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 1:28am On Nov 17, 2011
And about the iron gates haha you're so wrong , armed robbers have done that to us before our iron gate was barred but not a single noise was  heard, I wonder why the alarm padlock didn't even ring out
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Nobody: 1:28am On Nov 17, 2011
Eya, how many times have you been robbed?

Be like say dem no like una at all and have gotten too bold.  grin case in point cheesy
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:37am On Nov 17, 2011
I'm at work right now. I was about to post something here like 3 hours ago when I suddenly had to go and sow up a patient who got stabbed multiple times by a drunken idiöt with a broken bottle during a small bar argument. Imagine what my life would be like if all the drunken idiots in Nigeria had guns on them! I shudder to think.

Arming civilians may prevent a few crimes here and there, but the net effect will be a major increase in murder and urban carnage.
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by Natasha2(f): 1:41am On Nov 17, 2011
2buff:

Eya, how many times have you been robbed?

Be like say dem no like una at all and have gotten too bold.  grin case in point cheesy
lmao we've been robbed twice, the first was when my dad was shot, It was a serious robbery  that was the first time I witnessed such including my parents, they came after robbing our neighbour and locked her in her apartment  grin the second was little just window thieves, got away with my dad's laptop imagine after they did that the defecated on the ground and used the white shirt I soaked in a bucket to clean up  shocked   The third was unsuccessful that was when they barred the gate and were trying to match the door open, before my dad woke up. My mum picked up her phone and started shouting DPO SEND YOUR BOYS TO MY COMPOUND  . . .  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin which DPO?  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? by BlackBaron: 2:12am On Nov 17, 2011
Think about what the cultists and the agberos would do.

Neighbours fighting and resort to wielding dangerous weapons.
The kind of brutality I see Nigerians mete out to each other sometimes is just appalling. How much more when they possess fire arms undecided
Next trend would be to slide on a gun suppressors, dispatch opponents and dump the body in a river.

In gun loving America, we hear of 'Columbine' like massacres by students, homicides,gangs easy access to weapons and spillover of American arms fueling the Mexican drug war.

In a sane society, surely. In Nigeria however, it would backfire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

VP Sambo's Convoy Defies Traffic Rules In Abuja / Nigeria's Oil Production Climbs To 2.1m Barrels Per Day, Says Kachikwu / 4,500 APC, GPN Members Defect To NNPP In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.