Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria (4721 Views)

"We Found Stockpiles Of Dollars, Not Arms In AK Govt. House” — Official / 20 Militants Surrender Arms In Akwa-Ibom / Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 6:48pm On Sep 19, 2013
Hi Guys,

I don't know if this should thread should be classified a "political" one but I didn't find any other thread to categorize this under. I will like everyone with information about "Owning a Gun", a Nigerian "Legal Right to Bear Arms". What are:

1. The Federal laws, if any about owning a Gun, using it, how to use it?
2. Are there any State laws that govern the use of owning a gun
3. Or is the local government that handles such laws
4. Where do you legally apply for a gun i.e. the police, are their legal gun stores you can purchase a gun?
5. If we are to apply for a gun from the Police, is the police a Federal Institution, State Institution?

I am asking these questions because many Nigerians don't know the answers to these questions. We know armed robbers get guns that they use to attack the population and we don't do anything. We pray that they don't come visit our houses/apartments at Night or rob us on the highway.

We have terrorists blowing up our institutions, churches, killing innocent women and children. Yet all we do is pray and wait for the authorities to catch them. Is it legal for us to be armed to protect our property, our family and lives. What about people that like to hunt, can you get a rifle to hunt for sport and recreation?

I will greatly appreciate if anyone can provide some good information with reference on these questions

Thanks
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Kairoseki77: 6:50pm On Sep 19, 2013
Guns are illegal as far as I know.

I also know that MANY people have them.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 6:57pm On Sep 19, 2013
Kairoseki77: Guns are illegal as far as I know.

I also know that MANY people have them.

So, you are saying as a Nigerian citizen - there is no way for me to legally own a gun to protect my property, family and my life?

1 Like

Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Kairoseki77: 7:03pm On Sep 19, 2013
alexis:

So, you are saying as a Nigerian citizen - there is no way for me to legally own a gun to protect my property, family and my life?

Don't know. You CAN hire armed guards though. Labor is cheap in Naija.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Kairoseki77: 7:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by cashkid18(m): 7:27pm On Sep 19, 2013
lolz..u nid jesus
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by horpe132(m): 8:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
Kairoseki77:

@op i swear hire dis abokii^^^,,I tell u,hez d CHEAPEST u'll eva get...

*But Must You Protect Yourself With a Gun ??*

,,Do u carry large Cash around ?....Can u handle being shot or shooting someone ?............Walk into any DSS office & u'll know more abt dis .......
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by ogb5(m): 9:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
you can get gun for hunting purpose legally in Nigeria.
You have to register it with the police. It has to be a gun that can not be concealed, something like a rifle.

But it is registered for hunting only and if you decide to use it for something else, it's up to you.
Note that owning a gun in Nigeria may put you at increased risks as criminal elements may decide to get it off you at all cost.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 10:01pm On Sep 19, 2013
Kairoseki77:

The post talks about protection at home, for myself and family. It talks about recreational hunting. Having gun doesn't necessarily mean you want to harm someone or you are scared.

I am sure when we all go to bed at night, we lock our doors with have Iron bars and gates.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 10:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
cashkid18: lolz..u nid jesus

So Jesus will come down from Heaven when armed robbers are in my neighbourhood?
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 10:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
horpe132:

@op i swear hire dis abokii^^^,,I tell u,hez d CHEAPEST u'll eva get...

*But Must You Protect Yourself With a Gun ??*

,,Do u carry large Cash around ?....Can u handle being shot or shooting someone ?............Walk into any DSS office & u'll know more abt dis .......

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. It's not a matter of carry large cash and yes, I can handle defending myself when my life is threaten as well as those of my family. By DSS, what do you mean? I appreciate your information
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 10:08pm On Sep 19, 2013
ogb5: you can get gun for hunting purpose legally in Nigeria.
You have to register it with the police. It has to be a gun that can not be concealed, something like a rifle.

But it is registered for hunting only and if you decide to use it for something else, it's up to you.
Note that owning a gun in Nigeria may put you at increased risks as criminal elements may decide to get it off you at all cost.

So, the only way to legally own a gun in Nigeria is to register it as a hunting rifle and apply for a hunting license?. I am not asking for a concealed gun i.e. a pistol. Technically, my car is my property and if I am been attacked or robbed, I have the right to defend myself smiley

What kind of gun can you get for hunting in Nigeria? Where can you apply for this gun or license?

It appears that there is little to no information in this area and I wonder if there is even legislation for this.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by ogb5(m): 11:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
alexis:

So, the only way to legally own a gun in Nigeria is to register it as a hunting rifle and apply for a hunting license?. I am not asking for a concealed gun i.e. a pistol. Technically, my car is my property and if I am been attacked or robbed, I have the right to defend myself smiley

What kind of gun can you get for hunting in Nigeria? Where can you apply for this gun or license?

It appears that there is little to no information in this area and I wonder if there is even legislation for this.

The only way for civilians to legally get a gun is getting a hunting rifle, registered with the police in your locality. The type of guns people normally get is double barrel gun or pump action.

You apply for the licence at the police station, am told you are not supposed to take the gun out of the police jurisdiction where it was registered, so technically you are not supposed to be travelling around with it to defend yourself in case of robbery on the highway. But people do different things from what the law says, and in most cases if the gun is registered you get into less trouble with the police even if you use the gun for other purposes other than hunting.

Honestly I will not advise anyone to have a gun in their car while driving in Nigeria. If you run unexpectedly into armed robbers and they see the gun, you are dead. If a policeman stop you and in their numerous stop and search, sees the gun, he may decide to shoot you first as an armed robber and ask questions later.

Why get a gun anyway, if you have money you can apply for police protection when travelling or to guide your home. They will come armed to give you 24/7 protection at a little fee.
Having a gun means you might have to defend yourself with it when the need arise and if you fail in the process, you will be meeting God early.

A police DCO once advised me to get a gun to protect my property. I turned it down because little by little you can get into serious trouble with guns in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Stunner1(f): 1:32am On Sep 20, 2013
i really wish dey legalise it... i need a pistol
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by YoshiMaster: 3:09am On Sep 20, 2013
#1-stunner:

A girl packing heat? Now that's some gangsta shhit!

1 Like

Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by YoshiMaster: 3:16am On Sep 20, 2013
OP, with the current illiteracy level in the country, granting citizens that right would be like setting off a time bomb.

Unless you are trying to achieve population control, cause I foresee so many people being wiped out in the name of "Right To Bear Arms".

My suggestion for protection, pray and make sure you have all the relevant police numbers. You can also make friends with some officers, so you can call them directly should the need arise (though I would not trust police enough to have them too close to my private life).
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 5:09am On Sep 20, 2013
ogb5:

The only way for civilians to legally get a gun is getting a hunting rifle, registered with the police in your locality. The type of guns people normally get is double barrel gun or pump action.

You apply for the licence at the police station, am told you are not supposed to take the gun out of the police jurisdiction where it was registered, so technically you are not supposed to be travelling around with it to defend yourself in case of robbery on the highway. But people do different things from what the law says, and in most cases if the gun is registered you get into less trouble with the police even if you use the gun for other purposes other than hunting.

Honestly I will not advise anyone to have a gun in their car while driving in Nigeria. If you run unexpectedly into armed robbers and they see the gun, you are dead. If a policeman stop you and in their numerous stop and search, sees the gun, he may decide to shoot you first as an armed robber and ask questions later.

Why get a gun anyway, if you have money you can apply for police protection when travelling or to guide your home. They will come armed to give you 24/7 protection at a little fee.
Having a gun means you might have to defend yourself with it when the need arise and if you fail in the process, you will be meeting God early.

A police DCO once advised me to get a gun to protect my property. I turned it down because little by little you can get into serious trouble with guns in Nigeria

Ah, we are getting somewhere. It makes sense that they will issue you a pump action because it's a normal gun for home protection and because it is hard to conceal - that been said, what makes a gun a hunting rifle is the ammunication and not the gun itself - So, a hunting caliber is different from a regular caliber. And as it should be - the gun should be used to protect your property in the local government it was issued. This leads to another question -

1. What happens when you have more than one property and you are not in the same locality.
2. I wouldn't carry a shotgun/pump action in my car for everyone to see. If you carry a gun in your car; you should be able to conceal it i.e. a 9mm, something with high capacity i.e. more than 15 rounds per magazine or a semi automatic.
3. Is the police a Federal Institution? If the Police issues me a gun, they will issue me a permit or a license stipulating how and in what context I can use the gun. I am sure, you can apply for a pistol license as well (It might be hard to get it but I am quite certain you can.). If they are a Federal institution, then I am covered by Federal law and can use it to protect myself and my property i.e. ones car is their property.

The issue here is the law. I don't need to hire the police as an exchort - that will draw attention. I am a regular person wanting to protect himself and his family within the confines of the law.

Having no gun to defend yourself MEANS you will be meeting your maker. If 5 thieves come to my house, and they hear a gun shot from me - two things are going to happen:

1. They will either leave
2. They will still come knowing that they will meet their maker that night just the same way I could too smiley

Ever wonder why thieves don't attack military people houses like the do civilians?

What I have noticed in Nigeria is that most people wish problems will go away but they DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT. How can you keep doing the same thing and expect different results?

Someone once told me he keeps up to =N=15,000 in his house, so when thieves or armed robbers come, they will have something and not harm him and his family. I was SHOCKED to say the least. He has started allocating money for thieves as well sad.

In the words of Fela - "My people too dey fear"
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 5:11am On Sep 20, 2013
#1-stunner:

I am no expert but I believe you can go to the police headquarters and inquire. I a certain there are laws that most Nigerians are not aware about regarding owning guns and carrying them. If you can show and demonstrate why you need one - you should have the right to own one.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 5:12am On Sep 20, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

A girl packing heat? Now that's some gangsta shhit!

This is the kinda girl I would take to the shooting range grin
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 5:24am On Sep 20, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
OP, with the current illiteracy level in the country, granting citizens that right would be like setting off a time bomb.

Unless you are trying to achieve population control, cause I foresee so many people being wiped out in the name of "Right To Bear Arms".

My suggestion for protection, pray and make sure you have all the relevant police numbers. You can also make friends with some officers, so you can call them directly should the need arise (though I would not trust police enough to have them too close to my private life).

That is the thing in Nigeria - majority of the people are ignorant. Remember the saying - "My people suffer because of the lack of knowledge?". People that own guns legally and want to own them legally are law abiding citizens. More people die from accidents in Nigeria than from armed robbery. And most of the people that have guns have them illegally and that is why they use them at night to rob and kill others.

The reason I am asking all these questions is to get information. To increase knowledge on how to obtain a gun legally. If you think protection means praying and calling the police - then you shouldn't lock your doors at night when you go to bed smiley. It amazes me that in this day and age, such mentality of protection means been ignorant smiley
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Danhumprey: 5:35am On Sep 20, 2013
alexis:

So Jesus will come down from Heaven when armed robbers are in my neighbourhood?
LWKMD..........Chai! You really need Jesus. grin
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 5:45am On Sep 20, 2013
Hello Alexis, I own a number of lisenced guns in Nigeria, so I can speak authoritatively on this subject. As some respondents have rightly mentioned, you are ONLY allowed to own certain categories of rifles and shotguns, essentially the single-shot variants. Anyone caught by the police with a handgun or an Uzi would be up chit creek without the proverbial paddle, UNLESS that person was well-connected enough to have obtained a concealed-weapon permit, ALL of which are signed by none other than the president of the country himself.

In recent years, Nigerians have acquired pump-action shotguns by the chit-load, and they are now everywhere, despite their being technically illegal for civilian ownership. Pump-action shotguns are issued to civilian vigilante squad members in most towns and cities of Nigeria now, and many law-abiding members of the public own them as well, covered with carefully-worded permits. For home defense, there is NO other firearm under the sun that is as devastatingly effective as a pump shotgun loaded with buckshot, so you ought to be able to snag one after some diligent research on your part in Nigeria.

Unless you live or hunt in an area characterized by vast grassland, I cannot see the utility of a long-range rifle in suburban Nigeria, though I do have a beautiful bolt-action 308 annihilator for my open country deer hunting, where I typically harvest bucks out to 300 yards easy.

In summation, you can get a shotgun with a permit in Nigeria, and yes, the police can hook you up, for a generous fee.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 5:46am On Sep 20, 2013
Danhumprey: LWKMD..........Chai! You really need Jesus. grin

I have Jesus - I think the poster & whosoever supports his argument needs Common Sense. Something that Jesus taught grin

1 Like

Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by StellaBella(f): 6:15am On Sep 20, 2013
#1-stunner:
I support you.

A PINK pistol will be nice!
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by YoshiMaster: 8:14am On Sep 20, 2013
alexis:

That is the thing in Nigeria - majority of the people are ignorant. Remember the saying - "My people suffer because of the lack of knowledge?". People that own guns legally and want to own them legally are law abiding citizens. More people die from accidents in Nigeria than from armed robbery. And most of the people that have guns have them illegally and that is why they use them at night to rob and kill others.

The reason I am asking all these questions is to get information. To increase knowledge on how to obtain a gun legally. If you think protection means praying and calling the police - then you shouldn't lock your doors at night when you go to bed smiley. It amazes me that in this day and age, such mentality of protection means been ignorant smiley

Hahaha, me choosing to pray doesn't make me ignorant, au contraire, if anything it makes me more sound.

I rep Psalm 91 all day, but as they say, "Heaven helps those who help themselves", and "Be as wise as serpents", so we still have to proffer practical solutions to the issue of security and protection. Hence my recommendation to call the police (a practical secular solution).

Now you say "people that want to own guns legally are law abiding citizens", you can't make that generalization, because even criminals would love to own guns legally, crackheads also would love to use crack cocaine legally, doesn't make them law abiding citizens neither.

Also, the issue I raised was not about criminality, but illetracy. Imagine a car wreck, and some pyscho tout pulls out his gun to shoot you, obvisouly then he becomes a criminal, but he wasn't about a minute ago.

Your question had already been answered by previous posters, I was just extrapolating; giving a major reason why gun rights should not be granted to citizens.

Call me what you want, I am going by statistics, and a country with such a high illetracy rate has no business giving every "so called" law abiding citizen the right to own a gun.

Yes I do lock my doors, because as I said "Heaven helps those who help themselves", even the Isrealites still had to lock their doors and rub the blood of a lamb on their doors to avoid the plague. Basically they still had to do their part.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 8:18am On Sep 20, 2013
jakumo

Hello Alexis, I own a number of lisenced guns in Nigeria, so I can speak authoritatively on this subject. As some respondents have rightly mentioned, you are ONLY allowed to own certain categories of rifles and shotguns, essentially the single-shot variants. Anyone caught by the police with a handgun or an Uzi would be up chit creek without the proverbial paddle, UNLESS that person was well-connected enough to have obtained a concealed-weapon permit, ALL of which are signed by none other than the president of the country himself.

Single shot is fine - as far as there is rapid fire. A bolt action is a single shot rifle so I imagine this would be fine as well?

In recent years, Nigerians have acquired pump-action shotguns by the chit-load, and they are now everywhere, despite their being technically illegal for civilian ownership. Pump-action shotguns are issued to civilian vigilante squad members in most towns and cities of Nigeria now, and many law-abiding members of the public own them as well, covered with carefully-worded permits. For home defense, there is NO other firearm under the sun that is as devastatingly effective as a pump shotgun loaded with buckshot, so you ought to be able to snag one after some diligent research on your part in Nigeria.

It's good to know you can own one - that is all I need. The issue with shot-guns and pump actions is that in close quarters, they are effective. If an attacker is over 100 yards or less, they become ineffective weapons. Also, the reloading ability of pump-action or a single loaded or double loaded shut-gun is a disadvantage in my opinion. However, I rather own one than not own one smiley.

Unless you live or hunt in an area characterized by vast grassland, I cannot see the utility of a long-range rifle in suburban Nigeria, though I do have a beautiful bolt-action 308 annihilator for my open country deer hunting, where I typically harvest bucks out to 300 yards easy.

A bolt action is highly effective in close quarters and easily devastating depending on the caliber you use - it might be impractical but still very very deadly. The danger of a gun is in the bullet it shoots and it's caliber. For example, a 9mm doesn't do much damage or have an effective stopping power as a .45 caliber

In summation, you can get a shotgun with a permit in Nigeria, and yes, the police can hook you up, for a generous fee.

Thanks mate, you have been helpful
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 8:38am On Sep 20, 2013
Yoshi-Master

Hahaha, me choosing to pray doesn't make me ignorant, au contraire, if anything it makes me more sound.

There is nothing wrong with prayer - we should all pray and pray more. However, praying when there is a snake in your house doesn't make any sense - I hope you get my point smiley

I rep Psalm 91 all day, but as they say, "Heaven helps those who help themselves", and "Be as wise as serpents", so we still have to proffer practical solutions to the issue of security and protection. Hence my recommendation to call the police (a practical secular solution).

You are right What is the average wait time for the police in Nigeria? What happens before the police arrives, if they arrive? It takes more wisdom to be proactive. Wisdom is closing locking your doors and gate at night, it's not leaving your windows opened for mosquitoes to bite you even if you believe God is a healing God.

Now you say "people that want to own guns legally are law abiding citizens", you can't make that generalization, because even criminals would love to own guns legally, crackheads also would love to use crack cocaine legally, doesn't make them law abiding citizens neither.

No one can tell the intentions of anybody. I mentioned law abiding citizens. What makes you a criminal or a crack head is the "intent".

The issue I raised also was not about criminality, but illetracy. Imagine a car reck, and some pyscho tout pulls out his gun to shoot you, obvisouly then he becomes a criminal, but he wasn't about a minute ago.

Illiteracy, doesn't make an accident scene a war movie; the "intention" of using the gun does.

Your question had already been answered by previous posters, I was just extrapolating; giving a major reason why gun rights should not be granted to citizens.

Alot of my questions haven't been answered. I believe one or two has been. Thank you for clarifying though

Call me what you want, I am going by statistics, and a country with such a high illetracy rate has no business giving every "so called" law abiding citizen the right to own a gun.

My apology, I meant no harm and if I came across as calling you names - it wasn't my intention and I sincerely apologize. I don't think it's an issue of illiteracy. Someone with a JSS 8 education can apply for a gun and get it - If the law in Nigeria stipulates it.

Yes I do lock my doors, because as I said "Heaven helps those who help themselves", even the Isrealites still had to lock their doors and rub the blood of a lab on their doors. Basically they still had to do their part.

Yes, they lock their doors - but they needed bigger guns to survive and exist to this day grin
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 8:39am On Sep 20, 2013
Stella_Bella:
I support you.

A PINK pistol will be nice!

.22 caliber pistols are appropriate for ladies as a self defense weapon.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Symphony007: 8:55am On Sep 20, 2013
Nigeria has no 2nd amendment and i will fight any attempt to fomulate such a stupid policy.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by YoshiMaster: 9:07am On Sep 20, 2013
alexis: Yoshi-Master

There is nothing wrong with prayer - we should all pray and pray more. However, praying when there is a snake in your house doesn't make any sense - I hope you get my point smiley

You are right What is the average wait time for the police in Nigeria? What happens before the police arrives, if they arrive? It takes more wisdom to be proactive. Wisdom is closing locking your doors and gate at night, it's not leaving your windows opened for mosquitoes to bite you even if you believe God is a healing God.

No one can tell the intentions of anybody. I mentioned law abiding citizens. What makes you a criminal or a crack head is the "intent".

Illiteracy, doesn't make an accident scene a war movie; the "intention" of using the gun does.

Alot of my questions haven't been answered. I believe one or two has been. Thank you for clarifying though

My apology, I meant no harm and if I came across as calling you names - it wasn't my intention and I sincerely apologize. I don't think it's an issue of illiteracy. Someone with a JSS 8 education can apply for a gun and get it - If the law in Nigeria stipulates it.

Yes, they lock their doors - but they needed bigger guns to survive and exist to this day grin

You highlighted the ineffectiveness of the current police force, we all know that their services at present are below par.

However, when formulating policy like this that affects the entire population, you can't advocate such policy citing a few advantages, while leaving out major disadvantages.

The wise thing to do in this scenario, would be to shun gun rights in Nigeria. The same way I would shun Nuclear Energy in present day Nigeria, not because nuclear energy doesn't have incredible advantages, but due to present day lack of maintenance culture. In essence, the wisdom I possess dictates that we are not ready for such.

Such is the same with gun policy in Nigeria. Even the U.S with their high literacy rates and priority to education, still have random shootouts, how much more dire would the situation be in a country like Nigeria.

I hope you know people still conduct such barbaric acts as jungle justice, something that can't even be fathomed in developed countries, you can't add guns to that mix.

My take is that for this to be a reality in Nigeria, our education standard would need to have increased by leaps and bounds. We would need a generation were almost every child is in school, like 99.9999%, a generation of mostly civilized educated Nigerians, only then would I say we as a country are ready.

I have to settle down at work now, so I will end this here, for now.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 9:08am On Sep 20, 2013
Symphony007: Nigeria has no 2nd amendment and i will fight any attempt to fomulate such a stupid policy.

So, owning a gun is illegal in Nigeria?
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Symphony007: 9:13am On Sep 20, 2013
alexis:

So, owning a gun is illegal in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ongoing Boko Haram Attack On Maiduguri!-breaking. ; Aljazeera. / Ekiti Crisis: 50 Shops, Two Houses Burnt On Friday / See These Aba Made Recycled Metal As Dining Tables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.