Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,362 members, 7,812,027 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion (15458 Views)

N500b Capital Base: Capital Needed By Commercial Banks With International Spread / CBN May Raise Banks Capital Base To ₦‎900 Billion / CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Helpfromabove1(m): 5:12am On Mar 29
B
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Kloenboi: 5:14am On Mar 29
pretydiva:

cheesy cheesy

fine girl why are you laughing?

send me your aza ASAP.
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Urgent1Million: 5:14am On Mar 29
Male marketers in banks should start looking for other jobs.
Female marketers should start polishing their kuntus to fvck like mad because they're the only ones who'll meet the new outrageous targets that the banks are about to set for them.
And the male money bags are already planning their escapades with the marketers.
I wish I didn't type this. Sadly, it's the unfortunate truth.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Solsix(m): 5:15am On Mar 29
I know some tier one banks already have something more or close
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by kolamilan(m): 5:18am On Mar 29
Make I go remove my #1,500 from Wema. Cos I no say dem no fit meet up.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Chrisog: 5:19am On Mar 29
That's a good step from the apex bank, at least all this banks piping up here and there will reduce.

Kudos to "Cardoso"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by smasher1(m): 5:23am On Mar 29
seunmsg:

Who told you Wema bank can’t raise the new N500b capital base?

Where Wema bank want see that kind money?

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by smasher1(m): 5:24am On Mar 29
DeLaRue:

Wema is not international, so it will only need to raise its capital to N200b. That's still a lot for Wema.

It would be hard for Wema to get 200b. A merger may be the best option for them.
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by HenryTimes: 5:26am On Mar 29
grin cheesy grin

Paraman:
The likes of wema and unity bank might become regional banks again.
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by MadamExcellency: 5:26am On Mar 29
OPAY Digital has a $2 billion to $2.6 billion capital base hence I see no reason why a full-fledged commercial bank should be done with N500 billion.

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Sirtee19: 5:28am On Mar 29
No Nigeria bank was among the 10 richest bank in Africa according to Bloomberg 2023 survey. The 10th one, People's Bank of Morocco has capital base of $28 billion, in which no Nigeria bank come close. Even if 5 biggest bank in Nigeria come together, they can't even come close.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by pretydiva(f): 5:30am On Mar 29
Kloenboi:

fine girl why are you laughing?

send me your aza ASAP.
Thank you. But no

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Omenlon: 5:36am On Mar 29
Penguin2:
When I said in the other thread that buffoons have taken power in Nigeria, it seemed like I was just hating on Tinubu government but it’s the truth.

Or tell me what this particular policy is meant to achieve.

Explain it to me like I’m in nursery school.

In the end, what they will achieve is that banks come together and merge together so they can get the 500billion naira base capital. That’s how we will end up having about just 5 commercial banks remaining.

So, ultimately they will end up shrinking Nigerians’ choices and leaving us at the mercy of just few banks who will treat us as they like because our options are limited.

If you disagree with this, then tell me the advantages of this policy.

I’ll wait
is like you are so jobless. Where on earth does any useful person have all the time to by typing what will not put food on his table.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Eleph(m): 5:46am On Mar 29
Some people kept mentioning WEMA Bank as if the whole policy change is directed at the first generation regional bank which hitherto started on 2nd May,1945 under the name Agbonmagbe Bank Ltd, as an indigenous Bank before being taken over by Western Nigeria Marketing Board in 1969 but against all odds, the bank has overcome all difficult and stringent hurdles put before it by the regulatory agency since time immemorial hence, I see no reason why meeting the minimum threshold of the apex bank will now pose a problem for the bank which is not just there to do business but also there as the heritage of the old Western Region as one of its legacies which will never be allowed to go into oblivion without putting up a fight as it as always does. As at 2015, the banks capital base was around 44 Billion Naira which is about 9 years ago and it has since been a bank with a national outlook since 2015.

You can hardly mention the likes of First Bank of Nigeria, UBA or Union Bank without mentioning WEMA even though, Union Bank is no longer what it used to be. But WEMA Bank is nothing but a cat with nine lives going by its antecedents. It's nothing but the Phoenix of the banking industry as it remains the only surviving indigenous bank in Nigeria.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Curious346: 6:02am On Mar 29
Paraman:
The likes of wema and unity bank might become regional banks again.
what are regional banks
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Curious346: 6:03am On Mar 29
MadamExcellency:
OPAY Digital has a $2 billion to $2.6 billion capital base hence I see no reason why a full-fledged commercial bank should be done with N500 billion.
Opay is actually bigger than most Nigeria top banks

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Curious346: 6:04am On Mar 29
smasher1:

It would be hard for Wema to get 200b. A merger may be the best option for them.
wat about FCMB . Because my capital dey there ooo. Abii make I move am nii
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by mokset123: 6:07am On Mar 29
You see in this report it never mentioned the current capitalization that the banks are on for us to justify if it's a tall order for the banks to achieve despite being given two years to hit this target
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Lithiumite: 6:08am On Mar 29
Penguin2:
When I said in the other thread that buffoons have taken power in Nigeria, it seemed like I was just hating on Tinubu government but it’s the truth.

In the end, what they will achieve is that banks come together and merge together so they can get the 500billion naira base capital. That’s how we will end up having about just 5 commercial banks remaining.

So, ultimately they will end up shrinking Nigerians’ choices and leaving us at the mercy of just few banks who will treat us as they like because our options are limited.

I’ll wait

Our banks as they are right now are under capitalised to undertake the drive to grow the economy by $1 trillion as this govt envisages.

It's better to have 5 capable banks than have 100 mushroom banks that can't drive economic growth.

No one will be at the mercy of any bank because technology has helped diversify the financial space.....I personally haven't been into a bank for almost a year now.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by oliverwrites: 6:15am On Mar 29
seunmsg:
All our commercial banks will have to source for more capital including investment from foreign partners. This will bring more forex into the country and strengthen the banking system. The positive impact will flow to the capital market and other associated organizations. This is super bullish for the country.
Do you think we are likely to see more IPOs like we saw in 2005-2010?
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Paraman: 6:16am On Mar 29
Curious346:
what are regional banks
Banks which can only operate in a geopolitical region.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by tradepunter: 6:24am On Mar 29
seunmsg:
All our commercial banks will have to source for more capital including investment from foreign partners. This will bring more forex into the country and strengthen the banking system. The positive impact will flow to the capital market and other associated organizations. This is super bullish for the country.

you think everyone is foolish as you...... please if you don't know anything about a topic abeg just STFU
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Babangidapikin: 6:26am On Mar 29
Microfinance Bank ko ... Because na them plenty pass...

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by seunmsg(m): 6:33am On Mar 29
oliverwrites:
Do you think we are likely to see more IPOs like we saw in 2005-2010?

We are going to see more. This will be very massive.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by atiku4President(m): 6:34am On Mar 29
seunmsg:

Who told you Wema bank can’t raise the new N500b capital base?
Wema bank is a regional bank and has to meet up with N50bn only

2 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by deenvibe(m): 6:36am On Mar 29
Kloenboi:
$380m

Meanwhile how would you classify providus Bank?

For now, we are still a regional bank with presence in the south west, south south, south east and the FCT.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Basicend: 6:45am On Mar 29
DeLaRue:

Wema is not international, so it will only need to raise its capital to N200b. That's still a lot for Wema.

Wema will be amongst the first banks to raise that money. .

What you don't know is Wema bank is now what Access Bank was under Goodluck Jonathan. .

Tinubu will easily find ways to fund them. . Na Pan Yoruba "Eparapo" bank. . And most policies will favour them under Tinubu.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Wfaluse: 7:02am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

I’ll wait
Its either you are so shallow or just being negative. A primary school pupil will explain to you advantages of enhanced capital base for banks

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Munamu: 7:04am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

You really reason, like a kindergarten pupil. How would u now understand, if this thing is well explained to u? Okay let me try. There will be massive capital movement. Foreign investors will move in. The liquidity ratio will go up. CBN will be able to control cashflow through different monetary policies.... and finally there will be food on your table

I’ll wait
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by tommy589(m): 7:09am On Mar 29
Eleph:
Some people kept mentioning WEMA Bank as if the whole policy change is directed at the first generation regional bank which hitherto started on 2nd May,1945 under the name Agbonmagbe Bank Ltd, as an indigenous Bank before being taken over by Western Nigeria Marketing Board in 1969 but against all odds, the bank has overcome all difficult and stringent hurdles put before it by the regulatory agency since time immemorial hence, I see no reason why meeting the minimum threshold of the apex bank will now pose a problem for the bank which is not just there to do business but also there as the heritage of the old Western Region as one of its legacies which will never be allowed to go into oblivion without putting up a fight as it as always does. As at 2015, the banks capital base was around 44 Billion Naira which is about 9 years ago and it has since been a bank with a national outlook since 2015.

You can hardly mention the likes of First Bank of Nigeria, UBA or Union Bank without mentioning WEMA even though, Union Bank is no longer what it used to be. But WEMA Bank is nothing but a cat with nine lives going by its antecedents. It's nothing but the Phoenix of the banking industry as it remains the only surviving indigenous bank in Nigeria.

Thank you for this post

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Tareq1105: 7:09am On Mar 29
seunmsg:

In addition, those hoarding dollars would have the basis or opportunity to bring them out to invest in shares meaning more FX for CBN.

I'm convinced more than ever before that Nigeria economy would recover, and Nigeria and Nigerians shall return to the path of economic prosperity during the tenure of Tinubu APC to the glory of God amen.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Tareq1105: 7:13am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

I’ll wait

Go back to school to study ECO 211.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

50% POS Operators Close Shops Over Naira Scarcity / Entrepreneurship Journey Just Made Simple With These life changing Resources ! / Paga Surpasses Paypal, First Bank As Nigeria Mobile King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.