Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,971 members, 7,810,692 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion (15431 Views)

N500b Capital Base: Capital Needed By Commercial Banks With International Spread / CBN May Raise Banks Capital Base To ₦‎900 Billion / CBN To Increase Capital Base Of Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by seunmsg(m): 10:21pm On Mar 28
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has unveiled new minimum capital requirements for banks, pegging the minimum capital base for commercial banks with international authorisation at ₦500 billion.

A circular signed by the Director, Financial Policy and Regulation Department, Haruna Mustafa, to all commercial, merchant, and non-interest banks and promoters of proposed banks emphasised that all banks are required to meet the minimum capital requirement within 24 months commencing from April 1, 2024, and terminating on March 31, 2026.

CBN spokesperson, Hakama Sidi Ali, confirmed the development in Abuja on Thursday.

According to Ali, the new minimum capital base for commercial banks with national authorisation is now ₦200 billion, while the new requirement for those with regional authorisation is ₦50 billion.

The apex bank also disclosed that the new minimum capital for merchant banks would be ₦50 billion, while the new requirements for non-interest banks with national and regional authorisations are ₦20 billion and ₦10 billion, respectively.

The announcement comes just days after CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, urged deposit money banks to expedite action on the recapitalisation of their capital base in order to strengthen the financial system.

Last November, Cardoso, who assumed office two months earlier, had said commercial banks in the country would be directed to increase their capital base to service a $1 trillion economy ambition of the President Bola Tinubu administration.

The last time the CBN increased capital base for banks was in 2005, when the current Anambra State Governor, Charles Soludo, was the apex bank chief. Capital base was raised from ₦2bn to ₦25bn.

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/03/28/breaking-cbn-pegs-minimum-capital-base-for-banks-at-n500bn/amp/

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Paraman: 10:23pm On Mar 28
The likes of wema and unity bank might become regional banks again.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Didijiji: 10:25pm On Mar 28
500 Kini
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by seunmsg(m): 10:27pm On Mar 28
All our commercial banks will have to source for more capital including investment from foreign partners. This will bring more forex into the country and strengthen the banking system. The positive impact will flow to the capital market and other associated organizations. This is super bullish for the country.

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by seunmsg(m): 10:28pm On Mar 28
Paraman:

Who told you Wema bank can’t raise the new N500b capital base?

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Paraman: 10:32pm On Mar 28
seunmsg:

we shall see

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Wayan1: 10:34pm On Mar 28
Adequate capital levels enable banks to attract funding, cultivate strong customer relationships, and effectively manage risks associated with lending. It promotes greater market discipline and ultimately reduces the likelihood and severity of financial crises.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by DeLaRue: 10:41pm On Mar 28
seunmsg:

Wema is not international, so it will only need to raise its capital to N200b. That's still a lot for Wema.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Penguin2: 10:52pm On Mar 28
When I said in the other thread that buffoons have taken power in Nigeria, it seemed like I was just hating on Tinubu government but it’s the truth.

Or tell me what this particular policy is meant to achieve.

Explain it to me like I’m in nursery school.

In the end, what they will achieve is that banks come together and merge together so they can get the 500billion naira base capital. That’s how we will end up having about just 5 commercial banks remaining.

So, ultimately they will end up shrinking Nigerians’ choices and leaving us at the mercy of just few banks who will treat us as they like because our options are limited.

If you disagree with this, then tell me the advantages of this policy.

I’ll wait

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Antoeni(m): 10:54pm On Mar 28
This will force some consolidation but given the macro conditions at the moment might not be the best time for the rebase.

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by emkz: 11:14pm On Mar 28
Penguin2:
When I said in the other thread that buffoons have taken power in Nigeria, it seemed like I was just hating on Tinubu government but it’s the truth.

In the end, what they will achieve is that banks come together and merge together so they can get the 500billion naira base capital. That’s how we will end up having about just 5 commercial banks remaining.

So, ultimately they will end up shrinking Nigerians’ choices and leaving us at the mercy of just few banks who will treat us as they like because our options are limited.

I’ll wait

Mop up most of the funds stolen by certain people. Force those who took funds out to repatriate them as a way of cleaning the funds. Attract more foreign investors who want to make money from our economy. Making the banks stronger and competitive. Get them to be involved in the core practice of banking instead of funding rubbish.

103 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Penguin2: 12:02am On Mar 29
emkz:

Mop up most of the funds stolen by certain people. Force those who took funds out to repatriate them as a way of cleaning the funds. Attract more foreign investors who want to make money from our economy. Making the banks stronger and competitive. Get them to be involved in the core practice of banking instead of funding rubbish.
How would having about 5 commercial banks with 500billion naira capital base attract investment?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Mercury12(m): 12:09am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

I’ll wait
there is never a choice in the first place. There was never were. Do you think you live in the sixties or you think it's just a Nigeria thing?

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by bigpicture001: 12:18am On Mar 29
Paraman:

I think is only for those who operate at international level...dox which h are active in other countries

1 Like

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by emkz: 12:24am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

How would having about 5 commercial banks with 500billion naira capital base attract investment?

Only banks with international accreditation would need 500 billion naira. Others with national accreditation need 200 billion while regional banks need 50 billion naira.

With 500 billion naira funds as capital base, the bank is seen as very strong, and systemically important to the country and continent. With such strength, they can mobilize more deposits from more customers, capture the unbanked population, and that means they may attract more investors to take loans for business, mortgage, auto, fees and so on; or buy more shares and they'd be able to mobilize high ticket loans which servicing can give them more profits and shareholders are happy.

Corporate governance and internal controls would be more stringent. The era of bank MDs living like kings would also be over because people who have put their funds into those banks as investors would put them under pressure.

67 Likes 10 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by blacknp(m): 12:30am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

I’ll wait
Sharap, why must you always be negative every time?

Oversized bird, way siddon tied for kitchen dey wait make water boil, make they take am use am cook make penguin stew, wan claim say em know pass CBN?

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by aieromon(m): 12:42am On Mar 29
2004 CBN Recapitalisation exercise
- Twenty-five banks emerged from 75 banks, out of a total of 89 banks that existed as at June 2004.

- Licenses of 14 banks were revoked for failure to meet recapitalisation conditions
African Express Bank
AllStates Trust Bank
Assurance Bank of Nigeria
City Express Bank
Eagle Bank
Fortune International Bank
Gulf Bank
Hallmark Bank
Lead Bank
Liberty Bank
Metropolitan Bank
Societe Generale Bank
Trade Bank
Triumph Bank

- Lucky 25 after injection of capital or Merger & Acquisition deals

1. Access Bank
2. Afribank
3. Diamond Bank
4. EcoBank
5. Equitorial Trust Bank
6. First City Monument Bank
7. Fidelity Bank
8. First Bank Plc
9. First Inland Bank
10. Guaranty Trust Bank
11. IBTC-Chartered Bank
12. Intercontinental Bank
13. Nigeria International Bank
14. Oceanic Bank
15. Platinum Bank
16. Skye Bank
17. Spring Bank
18. Stanbic Bank
19. Standard Chartered Bank
20. United Bank of Africa
21. Sterling Bank
22. Union Bank
23. Unity Bank
24. Wema Bank
25. Zenith Bank Plc

https://www.cbn.gov.ng/out/speeches/2006/govadd%2016-1-06.pdf

11 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Donaldoni: 12:45am On Mar 29
Penguin2:

I’ll wait

Just shut up if you don't know what to say. angry

Now, the banks will be in a mad, desperate rush to have Naira thereby mopping up excess liquidity from the system.

The Naira will then appreciate! cool

76 Likes 10 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Jokay07(m): 1:17am On Mar 29
Here to read comments

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by IBBG(m): 2:10am On Mar 29
Banks will now have to seat up and buckle their belt to meet target

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Kloenboi: 2:41am On Mar 29
$380m

Meanwhile how would you classify providus Bank?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by CodeTemplar: 3:29am On Mar 29
Will that make them give loans freely? Especially to MSMEs?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by leisuretym: 4:33am On Mar 29
Whatever strengthen the Economy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by SEGLIZ: 4:37am On Mar 29
season of unnecessary deductions are here.
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by id4sho(m): 4:39am On Mar 29
tongue
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by pretydiva(f): 4:43am On Mar 29
Kloenboi:
How would you classify providus Bank?
cheesy cheesy
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Offpoint1: 4:48am On Mar 29
500b is easy to actualize as a bank. Just do abracadabra with ya customer N100 - 1k

2 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Simeonjoe1: 4:56am On Mar 29
Ok
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by Arnold1(m): 4:58am On Mar 29
N500 billion naira = > US$ 350 million

N200 billion naira. = > US$ 150 million

Tall order!

The banks have till March 31st, 2026 to comply
with the CBN’s directive.

Overall, I believe the merits of this policy out weigh
the demerits.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by kollybay4u: 4:59am On Mar 29
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by karzyharsky(m): 5:00am On Mar 29
Chai liability target
Re: CBN Pegs Minimum Capital Base For Banks At ₦‎500 Billion by kollybay4u: 5:01am On Mar 29
Kloenboi:
How would you classify providus Bank?
Regional bank

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

276,852 Pos Transactions Failed On Christmas Eve —NIBSS / 7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / Aliko Dangote And Femi Otedola Richest Nigerian Billionaires: Forbes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.