Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,078 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards (29383 Views)

President Biden Ends Trump’s Travel Ban On Nigeria, Muslim Countries / Chad Lifts Ban On Social Media Usage After More Than A Year / Ghanaian Soldier Sues British Army For Failing To Protect Him From Winter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by fergie001: 4:02pm On Mar 29
Soldiers and officers are now allowed to grow beards while serving in the British Army.

The beards and moustaches must be neat, properly groomed and will be routinely checked.

The policy comes into immediate effect as the Army becomes the last of the armed forces to allow its personnel to grow beards.

The new directive follows years of discussion around the Army's policy on facial hair.

The change follows a review into the Army's policy on the appearance of its personnel which lasted several months, an Army spokesman told the BBC.

Army leadership then looked at the findings before deciding to change the policy.

"We have listened to our people and acted," the spokesman said.

There may be specific occasions where the personnel are required to be clean-shaven, the Army said, and officers and soldiers will be "directed to shave as and when circumstances dictate".

It is thought that Army leaders hope the new policy will help attract new recruits.

Several foreign armies, such as those of Denmark, Germany, and Belgium, allow troops to grow a beard.

Troops of certain faiths, such as Sikhs, Muslims and Rastafarians, were already allowed to grow full beards as long as they did not put their operational effectiveness, health or safety at risk.

The Times reported that the new policy was announced by Warrant Officer Class 1 Paul Carney, the most senior non-commissioned officer in a four-minute video message to troops.

"Getting to an outcome has taken a bit longer than expected due to the larger number of stakeholders that were involved, including His Majesty the King, our politicians and our allies," he is reported to have said.

"CGS [chief of the general staff] has taken account of your views and has decided the appearance policy will change with our officers and soldiers being allowed to grow beards."

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said in an interview with the newspaper last year that banning beards in the Army was "ridiculous", and called on the institution to "modernise".

"How is it we are still struggling with recruitment and then arbitrarily saying you can't join [if you grow a beard]," he said.

The Royal Air Force has permitted its personnel to sport facial hair since 2019, while the Royal Navy has allowed beards and moustaches for years.

SOURCE

8 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by dfrost: 4:35pm On Mar 29
Cool.

It used to be a sign of rebellion back then. Good to see age old institutions evolve in their ideologies.

27 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by damilola4162(m): 6:07pm On Mar 29
Federal Government allegedly subsidizes hajj fare with N90 billion

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/federal-government-allegedly-subsidizes-hajj-fare-with-n90-billion
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by KingAzubuike(f): 6:07pm On Mar 29
The Nigerian defence HQ needs to emulate same for serving personnel's.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by Zxcvbnmghtr: 6:07pm On Mar 29
grin grin grin. This would have taken a different reaction if the Prime Minister is a Muslim and not a Hindu as we have today. It will be termed Islamaization of Britain especially by our Nigerian brothers and sisters who are their colonial fanatical slaves. Na their own cry go loud pass for the whole world. grin grin grin

115 Likes 11 Shares

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by sofeo(m): 6:07pm On Mar 29
Remains the U.S Army

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by DenreleDave(m): 6:07pm On Mar 29
Remain naija

32 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by olusola200: 6:07pm On Mar 29
Good

1 Like

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by saintjimos(m): 6:08pm On Mar 29
Very good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by Mrdecent(m): 6:08pm On Mar 29
Nigeria should copy this..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by mykymyk101: 6:09pm On Mar 29
For security reasons
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by lapo(m): 6:09pm On Mar 29
All former British colonies to replicate this soon.

8 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by nstore: 6:09pm On Mar 29
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:09pm On Mar 29
Good.
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by tollyboy5(m): 6:09pm On Mar 29
KingAzubuike:
The Nigerian defence HQ needs to emulate same for serving personnel's.
Na shaving of beards no let me join military lol

If not I 4 dey invent bomb 4 sambisa, I fit don rip by now because of my strong head who knows grin

10 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:09pm On Mar 29
Nigeria go just dey do mumu dey do follow follow

7 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by oluwaseyi0: 6:09pm On Mar 29
And some people will have been dismissed or denied it employment for this

Change is truly the only constant thing

I remember being in hostel in my younger years and the school owner/hostel master will not let us watch TV because his church (deeper life bible church) believes watching TV is a sin and a medium to foster sins

Many years later when I visited this same man house I see the man, his wife and children all glued to the TV watching cartoons, they even have DSTV subscription, as soon as cartoon is done wifey changed the station to zee world, we also watched arsenal vs Chelsea premiership match in the evening as I visited during the weekend

In my mind I was just swearing for the man, this is same man that nearly ruin our childhood by denying us access to TV even against wards' parents protest

Last last oga claimed pastor kumuyi said they can now watch TV shocked shocked shocked cool

This is a man that have masters as far back as 90s

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by Obakoolex(m): 6:09pm On Mar 29
Very good. Gives them the ability to blend when not on uniform

34 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by merits(m): 6:10pm On Mar 29
fergie001:

SOURCE
Nigerian arm forces will never follow this from their master.
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by mykymyk101: 6:11pm On Mar 29
lapo:

Nigerian Army dey keep beards whenever they are in North or a special mission. It is a common practice for special forces. Infact it is mandatory for a special force to keep beards, this will enable them to blend in different culture and look unrecognised.

God bless and Keep The Nigerian Army.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by GiftofGod77: 6:12pm On Mar 29
Nice one.

2 Likes

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by ngwaIgbo223: 6:12pm On Mar 29
Very soon they will allow hairless men.

1 Like

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by ngwaIgbo223: 6:13pm On Mar 29
lapo:

It's now past move on house negro.

1 Like

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by iampeterben(m): 6:13pm On Mar 29
That's good! Beard gang begins.

1 Like

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by Cmanforall: 6:14pm On Mar 29
Nigeria will follow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by forerunner022(m): 6:15pm On Mar 29
Nigeria will soon copy because they are good at copy and paste
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by IBB007: 6:15pm On Mar 29
I hope naija follow suits…cos we copied everything from those people
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by chopnaira: 6:16pm On Mar 29
Nice.

1 Like

Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by NothingDoMe: 6:16pm On Mar 29
beard geng
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by Oshokhai69: 6:17pm On Mar 29
dfrost:
Cool.

It used to be a sign of rebellion back then. Good to see age old institutions evolve in their ideologies.

Ojukwu must have been a rebellious soldier cos I don’t think Naija soldiers are allowed to grow beards..
Re: British Army Lifts Ban On Soldiers Growing Beards by gohf: 6:17pm On Mar 29
Wonderful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Israel Defence Minister, Yoav Gallant, Says Hamas War Could Last Months / Gun Man Attacks Cinema, Kills Five And Injures 21 In Texas / Intercepted Call: Russian Soldiers Ready To Kill Their General (Audio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.