Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Why Peugeot 407 Coupe V6? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Peugeot 407 Coupe V6? (475 Views)

Converted My Peugeot 407 Coupé V6 From Auto To Stick-shift / Peugeot 407 - The Most Common Problems And Fixes / EW10A To EW10J4 Conversion In Peugeot 407: Nigerian Factor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Peugeot 407 Coupe V6? by Ikenna351(m): 6:29pm On Mar 29
407 was never in the picture to be added in the fleet. As much as I enjoyed the drive in some of them, the desire wasn't born. At a point, I recalled in one of my private phone discussions with Mr Siena Gbuje in UK, where the discussion was him sourcing a 3.0 HDI 407 for me from Europe. I found the car package interesting, but the transmission killed that desire within days. The fact that they came only with automatic and the chance of converting to manual transmission on that engine was zero. It was a sacrifice I couldn't live with. The unpredictability of AM6 was a reality I have lived and moved on from and never to be stuck with one. So I threw the idea of owning a 407 into the bin until the day I test drove a Coupè version with a V6 petrol engine and a 6-speed manual. While in the drive (not after), I knew certainly I would become an owner of one, which didn't take long to manifest. The pleasure derived in those few moments behind the wheel on high-speed could be likened to sexual climax.

When you gear a 407 Coupè V6 petrol (ES9A) into motion, the toys and the car looks become insignificant. The only thing that would remind you he is a 407 is the dashboard. What made the Coupè outstanding from every other 407 is the road handling. The instrument panel, the steering, the bucket seats, the ES9A V6 engine, the transmissions, the brakes, and the suspension were all made for one purpose: *Track* . No modification is needed, unless you want him faster. The predecessor (406) is quicker, but on general performance, they are not mates.

I drove these 2 Coupès on the attached picture for the past few days, which are both powered by the PR V6 ES9A engines. One is 6-speed Automatic, while the other is 6-speed Manual. Without being biased, both are performance maniacs. I tested both harshly on tough roads (dangerous corners), swinging them as the rpm hits closer to red lines, while they both behaved as if they were on straight lines as they swerved lanes. Both almost abruptly came to a halt from high speedometer figures when brake pedals are depressed for that purpose without being thrown out of the seats or front ends pressing down (Thanks to the TRW OEM brake pads on both Coupès). Steering wheel stayed heavy close to a proper manual steering, even on lower vehicle speed. The bucket seats held and kept my body firmly without a shift, no matter my activities on the pedals, the gear levers, steering wheels or whatever both Coupès were doing on the road. I could go on and on. I would say this Coupè is one of the best production track car Peugeot made, the only best Peugeot V6 track Coupè ever.

ES V6 engines were not known for aggressive V6 sounds, compared to their predecessors (The PRVs). But ES9A on this Coupè actually made a difference than the other ES engines. The ES9A on 607 could be too quiet for my liking sometimes. But when logically considered what 607 was built for, it would be illogical to expect the opposite. The Coupè on the other hand, wasn't made for comfort. The ES9A on the Coupè makes rumble grow and gets louder as engine speed increases (most importantly, as vehicle speed increases). With the 6-manual manual, it's more thrilling when you act on the clutch pedal to isolate the raw V6 engine note from the gearbox scream. And also when you re-engage the 2 to listen to both songs. It's heavenly-like experience (as described by the Book).

This is a thirsty car, especially when geared into his potential. Let me be more direct. If you are the type that always glue your gaze on the fuel gauge behind the wheel, the car is not for you. This Coupè has 300, 400, 500 to 700 kg over that your regular 504, 505, 206, 207, 307, 308, 406, etc. For those who still don't understand, this Coupè (irrespective of transmission type) is like dropping 6 - 10 bags of cement or rice inside the above listed Peugeot vehicles, including some of the 4-cylinder Saloon 407s. You have to be financially capable to keep the car on the road running (fuel-wise). The predecessor is your better option if you want to eat your cake and have it back, as long as you hard-core performance is not your priority.

You are better off with 406 if you are after the quickest V6 Peugeot Coupè. This Coupè is fast, but not quicker than his predecessor (all linked to the weight), which made him thirstier. He is still a track car, as long as you are OK that you might not likely win the race (even though being faster doesn't necessarily win the race). He can be modified to be faster, but the limited space under the hood doesn't help. Mr Dawid Dabrowski Turbocharged his Manual version and got 460 hp & 630 Nm. I saw someone else also supercharged his. You can do same on yours, as long as you can create the space for the accessories.

The Coupè can lose the big chunk of his performance if the shock absorbers fail. I am talking about the outstanding road handling the car posses. These special electronically controlled dampers on them are not easily available, especially the rear ones (both new and used). I have battled with this issue on mine for a while, and i recently got a small window i fixed and tested the car on highway, and the difference was night and day. Still researching and experimenting on a permanent fix to this that will retain the factory performance, even when not with the unavailable stock complex ones. You don't want to lose any of yours. With this, it would be unwise to do a long journey with the Coupè in Nigeria, considering the road conditions that kill struts rapidly over here. However, this is a car I would recommend for long-distance drive, if the road conditions in the journey are as smooth as the Abuja roads. I tried it once and lost a lot of the suspension components, but I never regretted it because the experience derived in the journey can only be experienced to understand than described.

Everyman has a To-do list (physical or mentally), even if some on the list do not feel attainable. A man with no such list is a dead man walking, since such list gives you the drive to keep living. One test drive not only changed my original To-do list, but also closed the modern Saloon car chapter for me. 407 Coupè V6 is not the most powerful, the best performance, or the fastest Coupè Peugeot made, but definitely a car you would be glad to have owned or experienced before your last breath.

Lion-King Monk.

Re: Why Peugeot 407 Coupe V6? by kingbee90: 7:28pm On Mar 29
This Peugeot 407 coupe got good looks, stylish, & heavy on the ground but not as fun to drive, fast & balanced as the Infiniti G35 3.5v6 coupe of the same year.
Re: Why Peugeot 407 Coupe V6? by Timagex(m): 9:14pm On Mar 29
kingbee90:
This Peugeot 407 coupe got good looks, stylish, & heavy on the ground but not as fun to drive, fast & balanced as the Infiniti G35 3.5v6 coupe of the same year.

Infinity is on another level entirely....

1 Like

Re: Why Peugeot 407 Coupe V6? by Drevor: 10:44pm On Apr 01
Nice machine

(1) (Reply)

Cutting Compound Needed Urgently - Car Detailing / I Need An Advice On A 2005 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Limited SUV / Common Automobile Body Problems And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.