Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,745 members, 7,813,441 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. (22087 Views)

Olatop Ekula Ft. Zigi Terry & Molla Boi - Mama Mini / Watch Thrilling Highlights Of Nwa Agbara Nmiri (son Of The River Goddess) / Nollywood Movie Review: A Lawyer’s Review Of The Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by CaveAdullam: 9:42pm On Mar 30
"If you marry a monkey because of money, the money will one day finish, but the monkey remains".

Kanayo. O. Kanayo

I love the fact that the movie didn't portray human ritual as a means of making money. Because it is superstitious and inhumane. This is not to say people aren't involved in it. But that human ritual is just a term to cover up money laundering, fraud, and other form of illegality.

The movie from start to finish was intriguing and exciting. Though, the producer and writer were trying to sell a narrative that I found disturbing, however, their point was understandable. We'll get there later.

Afamefuna was a man like his father and master. Men who will toil the soil, with long streams of sweat and sometimes blood breaking on their backs and legs. Rather than steal or beg.

Afamefuna was a man who understood what integrity entails. He was so passionate about his apprenticeship that he rose to a rank even his master was mirthful about.

He was attentive to his job. Always on point. Making friends and avoiding enemies. Mapping his terrain to know where his territory borders and how to make good harvests from it.

He would have ended up being a doormat man even though he was honest. That's where Paulo comes in. Paulo was a senior colleague at first, then a friend, later a brother, and unfortunately in the end, an enemy.

Paulo is like men who aren't able to sustain themselves to the end. May not be exactly their fault; some seeds don't reach the farm.

Paulo was a friend who thought Afamefuna the way of the street, the modus operandi of doing business among sheep, goats, and tigers. Integrity was not enough. Honesty was not enough. Kindness was not enough. The good man must pose as a warrior to defend himself and attack enemies. That's who Paulo was to Afamefuna; his shield and sword.

Afamefuna's father raised his son using his experience, never leaving his son in the dark, feeding him daily with the wisdom of sages. Giving men a highlight on raising quality sons. Which by pure serendipity, the young man quickly leveraged in his time of need - when his boss was almost going bankrupt and helpless.

The movie portrays hard work and integrity as the key to success. Having a keen eye to spot a good location to start a business and becoming the mayor of that town.

Afamefuna had a crush on his boss's daughter, however, his timidity, and also, the engagement of Paulo to the beautiful damsel he admired stopped him from making any amorous move.

This damsel, Amaka indeliberately turned Paulo into Afamefuna's worst and bitter enemy. Afamefuna has to take much blame here, however.

Paulo got jealous that Afamefuna got the blessings of his boss and has now gained his freedom. That act unfurled the dirty nature of Paulo, eroding his little integrity and efficiency. Paulo became wild and angry and sort for other means aside from legality to make money, riches, and wealth. Of course, he made a lot of money but at the cost of his dear life.

Afamefuna getting married to their boss's daughter, Amaka, was another fuel that aggravated the fire of hate between the duo who were once friends but now enemies.

Afamefuna broke the bro code: Bros shouldn't lust after their bros sisters, girlfriends, and wives. Paulo too broke one of the bro codes: Bros shouldn't eat where they shit; he was dating his boss's daughter.

Amaka also portrays the fact that women don't mind jumping high fences, crossing seas, and values to prove their love for a man they have a genuine desire for. She stole from her father to feed the fraudulence of Paulo, her boyfriend who promised her marriage but later jilted her. Funny enough, after many years of separation, she was still entangled with Paulo despite his ill-treatment of her. Genuine desire has a taste of Stockholm syndrome.

Afamefuna capitalized on the abusive relationship of Paulo et Amaka. He was able to lure his long-time crush into a housewife. Surprisingly, unfortunately, and unknowingly for him, he paid a dear price by raising Paulo's biological son. He was a victim of paternity fraud.

Paternity fraud is where I have an issue with the writer and producer of the movie. Amaka wasn't scolded for her actions. Probably, she didn't know because she was playing a home-and-away sex match. Rather she was condoled for her fraud.

Instead of letting Lotanna go meet his biological father, Paulo, Afamefuna didn't, and that was used as manipulative bait by Paulo to blackmail him. All Afamefuna wanted was peace to reign in his life and family, however, he was paying a high price that was detrimental to his total well-being.

Children of paternity fraud shouldn't suffer maltreatment due to the negligence and atrocities of their mothers. However, letting the truth known from the onset is better than covering it in an attempt not to hurt the kids. It doesn't help the kids in the long run.

Paternity fraud is a great crime against fathers and humanity. Fathers and kids involved can only survive this storm by making the truth known and administering justice.

Apprenticeship is a good way of raising soft hands who will later become moving economic forces. The Igbo Apprenticeship System is still in vogue, but it needs better regulations for the efficiency and raising of strong economic leaders. This can scale to every part of the nation.

The picture quality of the movie was top-notch. Good actors. Good play. Good movie.

Thanks.

78 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by DenreleDave(m): 7:37pm On Apr 02
Just saw the movie today....

Chai God bless the Igbo business operandi.... It is the best in the world and the envy of the world

Mehnnn I was touched by the loyalty of afemefuna.... I am also astonished in the igbo culture of apprenticeship..... Though it is very challenging but if you can see through it, you will succeed...
Mehn, the place he called the boy to collect the kola nut and drink, I almost shed tears.

God. Bless Igbos.....

The part he was narrating what igbos went tru bcox of the war Ojukwu started and how they Started their lives with 20 pounds to being a millionaire and billionaire.

I also love the concept of brotherhood igbos adopted.. If one doesn't have, he will take you to his brother that sells what you need..

Any place an Igbo man sets his foot for business becomes a hot zone for businesses
They are Pacemakers

Anywhere you can't find an igbo man, it simply means the place is not viable & profitable for business

Also, Never steal from an igbo man

God bless Igbos

Igbo is beautiful - Igbo Amaka

99 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by DenreleDave(m): 7:39pm On Apr 02
I also felt Amaka betrayed afemefuna... She knows the kid isn't his but kept quiet...

Why do igbos allow paternality fraud?.
What if Paulo didn't die, is that how he would have been blackmailing afemefuna till eternity?

I called on the mods to push this thread to front page and they did...

To all nairaland moderators, as you have honored me, so shall you be honored in double folds grin grin grin grin

Nemesis0147:
Nothing to learn in that movie….
Very annoying.
Kanayo didn’t do the right thing…..you can’t settle someone before your manager….very wrong,no matter what!!

Afam too shouldn’t have collected Paul’s gf from him….the girl saw him and decided to follow Paul…..why should I set :otle for less?

Afam fathered another man son and was comfortable with it….even allow himself to be blackmailed because of the child…

Nothing dy there to learn but the Igbo language was good sha.

You are wrong... Odogwu knows Paulo is stealing from him and fuvking his daughter too... There was no way he would have bestow that honor on him

Afemefuna remained loyal. He even added extra money to the original sales

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Otulented: 8:06pm On Apr 02
Igbo Amaka!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Nemesis0147(m): 8:06pm On Apr 02
Nothing to learn in that movie….
Very annoying.
Kanayo didn’t do the right thing…..you can’t settle someone before your manager….very wrong,no matter what!!
Yes paulo Was stealing from him but his settlement must come first before that of Afam….
He must not bestow the same honor or amount on them but Paulo must be settled first!!

Afam too shouldn’t have collected Paul’s gf from him….the girl saw him and decided to follow Paul…..why should I settle for less?

Afam fathered another man son and was comfortable with it….even allow himself to be blackmailed because of the child…

Nothing dy there to learn but the Igbo language was good sha.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Kingkamba(m): 8:07pm On Apr 02
Ok

1 Like

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Streetdoctor: 8:07pm On Apr 02
Woww, let's go their
What a story. Indeed igbos are resilient, after d Civil War, some were given 20 pounds even if u had 1m pounds u collect 20. From 20 pounds to multimillion business empire.
Is only igbo that can do that in Nigeria, if not this apprenticeship, North and West for just dey bully igbos anyhow, but man is not gawd

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by SmartPolician: 8:07pm On Apr 02
I was impressed with Segun Arinze's command of the Igbo language. I know his mom is Igbo, but I didn't know his Igbo was fluent. As for his fluency in Hausa, I don't about that because he spoke Hausa in Afamefuna.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by sonnie10: 8:07pm On Apr 02
Y

1 Like

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:08pm On Apr 02
DenreleDave:

Mehnnn I was touched by the loyalty of afemefuna.... I am also astonished in the igbo culture of apprentice..... Though it is very challenging but if you can see through it, you will succeed...
Mehn, the place he called the boy to collect the kola nut and drink, I almost shed tears.

God. Bless Igbos.....

Starting with 20 pounds to being a millionaire and billionaire.

I also love the concept of brotherhood igbos adopted.. If one doesn't have, he will take you to his brother that sells what you need..

God bless Igbos

God bless Nigeria. grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by udma: 8:08pm On Apr 02
Download link please

2 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by DamnnNiggarr: 8:08pm On Apr 02
shocked

My name shouldn't loss — Afamefuna

8 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Naybahood(m): 8:09pm On Apr 02
Afam was a big and stupid ass simp !!!!

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by RuddyFusion(m): 8:09pm On Apr 02
Good movie
Watched with family

7 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by BUDGETBOOSTS: 8:09pm On Apr 02
Ok

1 Like

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by ogolemati: 8:09pm On Apr 02
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool someone said that Igbo amaka

6 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by MasterJayJay: 8:11pm On Apr 02
An nwa boi?
They did not consult an Igbo language expert before giving it that title.

7 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by MaziObinnaokija: 8:11pm On Apr 02
cool

1 Like

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by YourRealFather: 8:11pm On Apr 02
i just watch this movie yesterday, grin grin
Nice movie btw

7 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Dwizeone: 8:12pm On Apr 02
I really love your review, nice job. However, the part of paternity fraud was not interpreted correctly. Amaka didn’t engage in home and away match. Lotanna was the result of the intimacy Amaka and Paulo had just before she jilted Paulo and went for Afamefuna. It was clear in the movie, she didn’t know about Lotanna being Paulo’s because after the wedding, she was faithful to Afamefuna, at least that’s what the writer painted. Afamefuna only found out after a confrontation with Paulo. There was no where it was shown that Amaka was amorous.

Generally Afamefuna is a good watch

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Sirkingsnado: 8:12pm On Apr 02
grin Afamefuna isee

Waking up every morning knowing that am IGBO BOY get the kin joy e dey give me

Biafra will come and other people in Nigeria will understand who igbos are

IGBO Amaka

Ezigbote nwa 042

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Adewale1603(m): 8:12pm On Apr 02
Great movie

1 Like

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Emperormartin(m): 8:13pm On Apr 02
I haven't watched the movie but the way op described it I've watched 70% of the movie

9 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Angelfrost(m): 8:13pm On Apr 02
Saw some petty negative reviews about the movie, and they were largely from Igbo people online.

Will still follow my gut and watch it.

That was how some of y'all panned "Origin: Madam Koi Koi"!
Finally saw it, and it was AWESOME!

I honestly wish some of you movie reviewers will learn to emphatically indicate that your reviews are your subjective views or perspectives, and not facts.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by isaachi4u: 8:13pm On Apr 02
DenreleDave:

Mehnnn I was touched by the loyalty of afemefuna.... I am also astonished in the igbo culture of apprentice..... Though it is very challenging but if you can see through it, you will succeed...

God. Bless Igbos.....

Starting with 20 pounds to being a millionaire and billionaire.

God bless Igbos

Igbo Amaka . Nde ugu ntooo, nde ofe mmanu , ya wute unu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Ensa777(f): 8:15pm On Apr 02
A 10/10 it is.

3 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Nemesis0147(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02
Naybahood:
Afam was a big and stupid ass simp !!!!

swears.
Nothing to learn from that movie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Lovestrong(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02
DenreleDave:
I also felt Amaka betrayed afemefuna... She knows the kid isn't his but kept quiet...

Why do igbos allow paternality fraud?.

What if Paulo didn't die, is that how he would have been blackmailing afemefuna till eternity?

I called on the mods to push this thread to front page and they did...

To all nairaland moderators, as you have honored me, so shall you be honored in double folds grin grin grin grin
where can I download it?
Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by RevenuesBoost(f): 8:15pm On Apr 02
Watching Nigerian Movie isn't my thing but reverse is the case when it's about hubby.

I force myself to stay up and watch with him but will definitely sleep off and will never complete it.

2 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. by Chithauri(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02
MasterJayJay:
An nwa boi?

They did not consult an Igbo language expert before giving it that title.
shut up. Ezi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Nigeria Athletics Support Mike Edwards Of Big Brother Naija 4 / "koko Mansion" What A Show! / Digital TV launches in Kano: 24 Channels Available Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.