Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,982 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Allegory: Burning Bush, Not Consumed! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Allegory: Burning Bush, Not Consumed! (55 Views)

A Response To The Allegory In The Garden Of Eden's Account Of The Fall / The Allegory In The Garden Of Eden Account Of The Fall Of Man By Reno Omokri / Three Catholic Priests Die In Anambra Community After Burning Of Shrines. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Allegory: Burning Bush, Not Consumed! by topshore(f): 12:20pm On Apr 02
Scripture Text: Exodus 3:2

"The angel of the LORD appeared to Moses in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed."
Exodus 3.2

Let's look at the story of Moses and the burning bush. What is the most amazing fire you've ever built, seen, enjoyed, or even been afraid of? There are a lot of answers to that question. Some people have been saved by fire when they were tired, wet, and cold in the woods. Fire has been a threat to some people since their own house burned down. Some of us know people who died in fires. Still, some people have shared their darkest and most private moments with loved ones while sitting by a beautiful fire. All of this is fire. An energy that burns and eats things. It's a wonder that shines with warmth and light.

It makes perfect sense that God showed up to Moses in a fire. In a fire, God spoke to one of the most important religious leaders in history. This story, which is told to us in Exodus chapter 3, is still powerful for all Christians, even if they have never been near fire or are not a great religious leader.

First, take note of Moses's calmness wonder. Moses is out in the desert. In fact, he is on a mountain, far from the woods. Moses saw that the bush was on fire but not yet destroyed. Think about this: it takes someone who is patient to observe that the bush isn't burning.

At first look, most of us wouldn't be able to tell if the bush was burning or not. In fact many will assume that the bush was burning. We see the light first when we see a fire, right? It won't be possible to tell what the flame did until some time has passed. I don't think Moses could have known for sure that the bush wasn't on fire until after some time had passed. To put it another way, his experience with the burning bush took some time. As he watched the fire for a while, he finally realized that the bush wasn't going up in flames. That is something we should all keep in mind as we think about God.

Almost never do we experience God right away in something. For now, it takes time for us to have good experiences with God. And they make us stop and sit for a while to see what is on fire and what isn't.

Then there is the powerful discovery itself. The bush was not consumed. This is the most powerful proof of God that people know of. God's strength, fire, kindness, and love are always there, showing that they are real.

Rudolf Otto, a famous German philosopher from a hundred years ago, came up with this way to describe God: "God is a Great and Fascinating Mystery" but said it in Latin. God is a huge and interesting Mystery. We want to be right next to that mystery, with nothing in the way.

We take off our shoes to get a better sense of what it was like. We also know a huge and interesting secret about fire. When we look into that midnight bonfire, we can feel it. There is still something about fire that interests us even though we know everything there is to know about its chemistry processes and reactions. For example, we know about oxidation and sparks. We are drawn to God's light. We want to learn even more about God as we learn more about him. What we know about God is never a full picture of God. What we know about God never consumes God.

Love works the same way. We are called to love each other with the same kind of love that God has for us (agape). One sign of mutual love is that when we love someone more, we find more love to give them. God's love is not what people mean when they say "zero-sum game." Do it! Give someone something because you love them so much. When you show unconditional love, you have more love to give. Even though love burns, it never goes out. The fire of love burns so sweetly, but it never goes out. Now we have the words.

Moses had an experience with the real God that he could not put into words. It was mysterious and powerful. It did use words, though. Moses, like all people, needed words to understand and be led. So he asks, "Who are you?" "What's your name?" In fact, Moses didn't say this at first. He had heard his own name for the first time from inside that fiery wonder. First, he was told that this God was really the God of his own family and that this God cared about people who were weak and unhappy. "I know what they are going through," this God told Moses.

Finally, God told Moses that he would send him to save those people from Pharaoh. Moses began to stumble at that point. He kept asking himself, "Who am I to do this?" "I'm not strong. There's no sign for me. I can't speak well. People aren't going to believe me. Again, who should I say is calling?" That's the question Moses had. Who do I say is calling? Who do I say sent me? "I Am Who I Am."  "Tell them that "I Am" sent you." God does use those words, but they are just as hard to understand as fire. I'm the person I am. It's not been clear what those words mean since they were spoken. It might be I Am What I Am. It might say "I Am Becoming What I Am Becoming." I'm changing into who I am. That is the version that talks about happenings and moving. The Bible's God is not just a "being" that has things and can't move. Someone once said, "God is not a noun; God is a verb." Just like fire.

Does fire mean something or something else?

God moves things around and makes things happen if God shows up in fire. The action of God, on the other hand, is not always bad. Moving of God does destroy things; it gets rid of what is wrong. It gets rid of things that aren't needed. Ultimately, though, God's will is for life and health, freedom and safety. That's the God who will always free people who are being abused and take them to the land of milk and honey. This is the God who will also move the people and lead us at night with a fire column. There is a fire God who says, "I am becoming who I am becoming." It will hurt me, but it won't consume me.

Are you in a burning fire situation right now? God is telling you, the God who sent Moses: The "I Am" is telling you that that fire, that situation, that problem will not consume you in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ. God loves you, and He will love you forever. Only believe Him, trust and receive Him into your heart today if you haven't already.

God bless you in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ, amen.

If you would like to give your life to Christ just say this short prayer:

"Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You now, come into my life, take control of my life and change my world. I say bye-bye to the devil. I enter into the Kingdom of Light. Thank You Jesus! In Jesus' Mighty Name I pray, amen.

Congratulations!!!

Peace!

Also read:https://www.cathedralatl.org/sermons/the-bush-was-blazing-yet-it-was-not-consumed-1/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Caution To Every Genuine Pastor - Azzaman Azzaman / The Anointed Vs The Anointed / Eid-el-fitri: Makinde Congratulates Muslim Faithful For Successful Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.