Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! (675 Views)

Help! My Corolla Jerks During Acceleration / My Toyota Corolla Verso Jerks When Accelerating / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 5:19pm On Apr 02
I own a Corolla 2003 model, I take care of it very well cuz it's my only car,

I went to fuel at a station close to my house before I parked on an evening I return from work, only to start my vehicle that always has a smooth sound the next morning to hear it jerk seriously.

It cleared overtime from jerking at stationary, only to jerk when I engage the gear to move, and also jerks and stalls on motion when I drive in the morning,

It doesn't respond promptly to truttling , when you throttle, it stalls, pick and drop,
And when I engage a/c, it gets worse.

Mechanics have services nuzzles, injector and injector pipes, fuel pump strainer has been washed, (even though it was not dirty) plugs has been cleaned, but the problem still persist.

Pls I need help expert in the house, wat more shall I do?? wat could be wrong with my vehicle cuz it's giving me sleepless night??

Help pls
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by Onyeka90210(m): 6:44pm On Apr 02
I wonder how you guys just start doing trail and error instead of scanning the car for error codes.

2 Likes

Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by Nbote(m): 6:45pm On Apr 02
It's possibly a fuel fuel pump problem. You'll need to change your pump
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by ipobcannibals: 9:02pm On Apr 02
izaac23:

I went to fuel at a station close to my house before I parked on an evening I return from work, only to start my vehicle that always has a smooth sound the next morning to hear it jerk seriously.

It cleared overtime from jerking at stationary, only to jerk when I engage the gear to move, and also jerks and stalls on motion when I drive in the morning,

It doesn't respond promptly to truttling , when you throttle, it stalls, pick and drop,

Mechanics have services nuzzles, injector and injector pipes, fuel pump strainer has been washed, (even though it was not dirty) plugs has been cleaned, but the problem still persist.

Pls I need help expert in the house, wat more shall I do?? wat could be wrong with my vehicle cuz it's giving me sleepless night??

Help pls
Most likely the filling station where you bought fuel sold bad fuel.
Get fuel injector cleaner from a genuine filling station and pour into your fuel tank and fire the car on the highway for an hour and see if it will cleanse your fuel pump, injectors
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 11:15pm On Apr 02
Onyeka90210:
I wonder how you guys just start doing trail and error instead of scanning the car for error codes.

I took it for test, I think the guy cud not even see the main problem, but he scammed my 5k and said that I shud go and service the strainer cuz it shows strainer is dirty, after that I shud drive the fuel till it finishes completely and go to a certain filling station he recommended that has the best fuel and buy fuel from there, which I did all that, but the problem persist.
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 11:18pm On Apr 02
Nbote:
It's possibly a fuel fuel pump problem. You'll need to change your pump

A mechanic tested the pump and said that it's still good, I don't know how true that is, although the car work perfectly after being driven for some time
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 11:20pm On Apr 02
ipobcannibals:
Most likely the filling station where you bought fuel sold bad fuel.
Get fuel injector cleaner from a genuine filling station and pour into your fuel tank and fire the car on the highway for an hour and see if it will cleanse your fuel pump, injectors

I have driven all the fuel to the last meter hand and bought a full tank again, but to no avail.
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by ipobcannibals: 12:55am On Apr 03
izaac23:

I have driven all the fuel to the last meter hand and bought a full tank again, but to no avail.
I say buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner from a filling station and pour into a full tank, then fire it on the highway to clean out dirt from your injectors/fuel pump.
A fuel injector cleaner looks like this:

Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by ipobcannibals: 12:59am On Apr 03
izaac23:

A mechanic tested the pump and said that it's still good, I don't know how true that is, although the car work perfectly after being driven for some time
Your fuel pump might still be good, but it’s clogged up with dirt and not pumping enough fuel, that’s why you’re experiencing stalling. Buy the fuel injector cleaner from a filling station and pour into a full tank, then fire the car on the expressway.
Also, check your air filter and change it if it’s dirty to allow air flow freely in and out of your engine. Do these and see the difference.
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by Nbote(m): 2:39am On Apr 03
izaac23:

When your fuel pump is bad, it still works but begins to act up when it gets hot. For some cars you'll need to open your fuel tank for a while for the car to even start again after it's worked for a while. Like someone stated, you bought bad fuel somewhere and that brought the problems from the pump. Get an injector cleaner as well bur you'll need to change your pump
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 9:49pm On Apr 03
ipobcannibals:
Your fuel pump might still be good, but it’s clogged up with dirt and not pumping enough fuel, that’s why you’re experiencing stalling. Buy the fuel injector cleaner from a filling station and pour into a full tank, then fire the car on the expressway.
Also, check your air filter and change it if it’s dirty to allow air flow freely in and out of your engine. Do these and see the difference.

Alright, I will do that and report back, thank you for your suggestion
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 9:52pm On Apr 03
[quote author=Nbote post=129241171]

When your fuel pump is bad, it still works but begins to act up when it gets hot. For some cars you'll need to open your fuel tank for a while for the car to even start again after it's worked for a while. Like someone stated, you bought bad fuel somewhere and that brought the problems from the pump. Get an injector cleaner as well bur you'll need to change your pump[/quote

thank you so much, I will try that and report back.
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 9:07am On Apr 09
izaac23:

Alright, I will do that and report back, thank you for your suggestion

Good morning pals,
I have done as stated, I bought Visa fuel injector cleaner and poured it inside a full tank, fired it for 40mins on a highway, then reaching where I went, I fired back again.

The next morning, when I came to test drive it, the problem still persisted

My gurus, Is there any other recommendation in the house pls,

Is there anyone who has experienced this problem before, I need your expert advice pls.
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by jimts(m): 11:39am On Apr 09
izaac23:

Good morning pals,
I have done as stated, I bought Visa fuel injector cleaner and poured it inside a full tank, fired it for 40mins on a highway, then reaching where I went, I fired back again.

The next morning, when I came to test drive it, the problem still persisted

My gurus, Is there any other recommendation in the house pls,

Is there anyone who has experienced this problem before, I need your expert advice pls.

This might need someone with real diagnostics skills fo figure out. Your 2003 Corolla uses drive by cable throttle body. When is it misfiring on idle, or when moving down the road or both?

Since you said the car was working fine before things went south all of a sudden, I will be suspecting that something failed, something that has close relationship with fuel metering.
I would be suspecting a leaking fuel injector or a failed idle air control valve. It could be a lot of things but let's start with the simple stuff first

Remote assistance is possible only to an extent, if you're lucky, we might get to the root cause of the problem.

Revert soon while I'm free let's see how we can tackle this.

#AutoJando
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by izaac23(m): 3:52pm On Apr 09
jimts:

This might need someone with real diagnostics skills fo figure out. Your 2003 Corolla uses drive by cable throttle body. When is it misfiring on idle, or when moving down the road or both?

Since you said the car was working fine before things went south all of a sudden, I will be suspecting that something failed, something that has close relationship with fuel metering.
I would be suspecting a leaking fuel injector or a failed idle air control valve. It could be a lot of things but let's start with the simple stuff first

Remote assistance is possible only to an extent, if you're lucky, we might get to the root cause of the problem.

Revert soon while I'm free let's see how we can tackle this.

#AutoJando

The first few days the problem started, it jerks on idling when i kick the engine in the morning, but after few days, the jerking stoped on idling and was now jerking on my first drive of the day, especially when I load it with A/C when driving, if I throttle down, it will stall and vibrate instead of responding, then pick and drop and pick.

But it will stop the jerking altogether after driving a while for the day and becomes normal for the rest of the day.
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by jimts(m): 5:44pm On Apr 09
izaac23:

The first few days the problem started, it jerks on idling when i kick the engine in the morning, but after few days, the jerking stoped on idling and was now jerking on my first drive of the day, especially when I load it with A/C when driving, if I throttle down, it will stall and vibrate instead of responding, then pick and drop and pick.

But it will stop the jerking altogether after driving a while for the day and becomes normal for the rest of the day.

We can start this diagnostics with the investigation of the Idle Air Control Valve which is an integral component of the throttle body (aka "injector mouth"wink.

If you can't do this yourself, find a mecho an instruct him to remove the throttle body and unscrew the IAC valve. Check if it clogged. If yes, clean it, use very thin bead rtv gasket maker to seal all surfaces. See attached image
Reassemble and check if the problem persist and then revert..

#AutoJando

Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by ipobcannibals: 3:00am On Apr 12
izaac23:

Someone here suggested starting with the basics which is cleaning the throttle body and I found this video on YouTube, in which the problem is similar to yours, in that the car stalls after the A/C is on. Watch this short clip and let your mechanic carry out the simple task here. Also change your air filter if it’s dirty to allow for better air flow. Hopefully it works out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduZM33x534
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by Kenosky1: 6:48pm On Apr 12
See solution below
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by Kenosky1: 6:49pm On Apr 12
izaac23:

Help pls

If the problem is mainly in the morning (cold weather) then you should suspect the intake exhaust manifold gasket. Get carburetor cleaner and spray on the exhaust manifold and if the engine sound changes then the gasket is bad and should be replaced. It happened also with my corolla and I[b] spent N70,000 fixing other things [/b]and not knowing that it was the gasket on the intake exhaust. GOODLUCK
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by xegzil(m): 8:07pm On Apr 12
Just change the coil. One or two of the coil is bad. This happened to my Corolla 09. And I scanned it. Changed two of the coil and the plugs. And the sounds became normal
Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by woodrow(m): 8:27pm On Apr 12
izaac23:

Help pls

Scan and request for the result of the scan. Since it happens only on cold start, you are likely to get a P0011 code. If for any reason you get this code, it would come along with misfiring codes in other cylinders as a result of the jerk. The Oil control valve is the problem. Picture is attached. You can have it cleaned or replaced. The last time such happened, the ocv valve was found to have broken, it was replaced and that was the end.
Goodluck

Re: My Corolla Jerks And Stall In The Morning At First Drive, Help!!! by AlvinOO7: 12:32am On Apr 16
Check the ‘butterfly’ in the Idle Air Control valve. It’s likely stuck.

(1) (Reply)

Contact For Long/short Car Lease U Can Also Contact For Car Tracking Device / Help Ooooo!!!!! Camry 1998 Wants To Kill Me!! / Fan, Battery And Engine; What Relationship????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.