Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,933 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

The Battle For Illorin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Battle For Illorin (782 Views)

Saraki Was Actually Stoned In Illorin..punch Newspaper / Saraki Arriving The Eid Praying Ground In Illorin Today (Photos) / The Police That Killed Muyideen Mustafa Has Been Stoned To Death In Illorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Battle For Illorin by aloyemeka4: 9:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
[size=14pt]Fear grips residents of Ilorin as Police battle ritual killers[/size]
on NOVEMBER 15, 2011 ยท in CRIME ALERT

BY DEMOLA AKINYEMI, Ilorin
Palpable fear has gripped residents of Ilorin, kwara state capital, following rising cases of ritual attack which is gradually spreading to the nooks and crannies of the Islamic town. In Sabo-Oke area of the town alone, no fewer than seven people were attacked in the last one month while three of them died before good Samaritans could take them to the hospital for the much needed medical attention.

Crime Alert reliably gathered that three people who were returning from their church after a night vigil on a Friday, were at different times, reportedly attacked by suspected ritualists around the same area in the first two weeks of last month.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/nov/15/vanguard/images/Yemi[1].jpg[/img]
*Latest victim - Ms Yemi Arigbede (Inset) Her sliced skull.

While two of them, a lady and a middle-aged married woman reportedly died on the spot, the third, an aged woman who was found gasping for breath, with blood spilling out from her mouth very early in the morning by passersby, was quickly rushed to a popular hospital along Lajoorin street, for urgent medical attention but was rejected. She reportedly died shortly after.

Crime Alert checks further revealed that two other people who were reportedly attacked around Kaba area of Sabooke on a Thursday are still on danger list in different private hospitals. This ugly development is already threatening the security of the state capital and causing fear among the residents.

This is just as the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, in the state, has called for urgent prayer session to address the untoward development.

Secretary of the assocition in the state, Rev. Emmanuel Fawenu, in a text message sent to members across the state, weekend said, 'in response to the activities of night marauders attacking people with dangerous weapons, CAN is calling all Christians for prayer convocation on Sunday by 5pm at Emmanuel Baptist Church, Sabo-Oke, Ilorin. Please spread the message."

Also,worried by these development, the kwara state house of assembly last week passed a resolution, calling on the governor, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed and the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Peter Gana, to, as a matter of urgency, find a drastic solution to the spate of insecurity in Ilorin metropolis.

The speaker, Hon Abdulrasaq Atunwa while reading the resolution charged the security operatives in the state to rise up to the challenge by ensuring that the situation is brought to normalcy and the culprits brought to book.

A member representing Oke-Ero constituency, Dr Abraham Ashaolu had in a matter of urgent public attention moved the motion, explaining that on October 27th, 2011, around ministry of agric, round about, a Special Assistant to the governor on transport, Prince Deji Oni was attacked by some unknown people, which resulted in his being hospitalized for two weeks.

He added that around the same spot, another young man was murdered and his private part removed. In his own contribution, Hon Suleiman Sunoboro representing Ilesha/Gwanara constituency of Baruten local government of kwara north said that about twenty cases of strange killings and victims being admitted at General hospital, in Baruten have been reported in recent times.

The lawmaker pointed out that the attackers usually use their white handkerchiefs to clean the blood of their victims which they use for ritual purposes.

The latest victim, a theater artist who lived to tell the story of her sordid experience in the hands of ritualists lend credence to the rising cases of such attacks rapidly gaining grounds in Ilorin.

Relieving her experience in an interview with Crime Alert in Ilorin last Sunday, she said,"my name is Ms Yemi Arigbede. I am a member of Association of Nigerian Theater Arts Practitioners. I am also a producer, my film just came out last two weeks and it is titled; Olamide".

According to her, "I was coming from Tanke yesterday[last Saturday]when I dropped at Oro Road Junction, around 10.00pm, a man just emerged from a hideout and beat me with a cutlass. I had cuts and blood was oozing out. I managed to run as little as I could, then I was very weak.

The man did not run away immediately. He just went and hid somewhere. As I was shouting for help, one man came out but immediately I shouted again, he ran back. The man that hit me was wearing a black cloth and he is a young man. I saw some cars and cabs and I beckoned on them for help. But they were all moving their way but after a short-while, one man came and assisted me to a nearby hospital."

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/fear-grips-residents-of-ilorin-as-police-battle-ritual-killers/
Re: The Battle For Illorin by htajz: 9:31pm On Nov 16, 2011
its just sad didnt know illorin was as notorious as ibadan and abeokuta when it comes to this ritualist nonsense.
Re: The Battle For Illorin by ak47mann(m): 9:44pm On Nov 16, 2011
cool shocked
Re: The Battle For Illorin by icez: 9:56pm On Nov 16, 2011
I taught Illorin was a peaceful place. shocked

May the souls of the dead rest in peace.Amen. cry
Re: The Battle For Illorin by aloyemeka4: 10:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
icez:

I taught Illorin was a peaceful place. shocked

May the souls of the dead rest in peace.Amen. cry

Not after the Saraki's lost control of their empire.

(1) (Reply)

Onion Seller To Hang For Robbery In Delta / Ex- Biafra Warlord Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Is Dead! / Ogun Robbery: Forced Closure Of Banks Enters 4th Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.