Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal (15117 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu: Justice Nyako adjourns indefinitely pending Supreme Court Judgement / Justice Nyako Orders DSS To Let Nnamdi Kanu Watch His Favourite Football Matches / Adeyanju To Justice Nyako: Step Down From Kanu's Trial, Your Husband Is Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by wediehere1: 5:30pm On Apr 04
The detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has filed an appeal at the Appeal Court against the Nigerian government on the ruling of Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.

Kanu, who filed the appeal through his legal team led by its Lead Counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, rejected the March 19 ruling of Justice Nyako on the criminal charges the Nigerian government preferred against him.

According to the notice of appeal court document obtained by SaharaReporters, Kanu’s legal team informed the Appeal Court that the lower court erred when it denied the IPOB leader his constitutional rights to fair trial.

Kanu also noted that the Department of State Services (DSS), failed to provide adequate facilities to prepare for the defence of the criminal allegations against the Appellant and his right to counsel of his own choice, thereby occasioning a grave miscarriage of justice.

The notice of appeal with charge No: FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015, reads, “Take Notice that the Appellant being dissatisfied with the Ruling of the Federal High Court, Abuja Division coram: B.F.M Nyako, J. delivered on the 19th March, 2024 doth hereby appeal to the Court of Appeal Abuja upon the grounds set out in Paragraph 3 below and will at the hearing of the appeal seek reliefs as set out in Paragraph 4 hereof from the Court of Appeal.

“The Learned trial Court erred in law when the Court assumed jurisdiction to proceed with the hearing of the criminal trial against the Appellant when the Appellant is glaringly denied the constitutional right to fair trial with particular reference to denial of adequate facilities to prepare for the defence of the criminal allegations against the Appellant and his right to counsel of his own choice, thereby occasioning a grave miscarriage of justice.

“Fair hearing/trial bears the constitutional safeguards of ensuring that the Appellant is accorded the adequate facilities to prepare for the defence of the criminal allegations levelled against the Appellant.

The denial of the Appellant the opportunity to interact and brief his counsel on what line of defences the Appellant tends to agitate in the trial court and rely on was adequately brought to the attention of the trial Court by Motion.

“The trial Court failed and neglected to make necessary orders that would protect the Appellant’s aforesaid rights but rather held that the Court cannot dictate how the Respondent carries out its work.

“The trial Court has the powers to order the Respondent (being the detaining authority) to cease and desist from interfering with Appellant’s constitutional/fair hearing right to adequate facilities to prepare defence and his right to counsel of his choice; and where it is impossible to do so or where the Respondent persists, the trial court has the power to order an alternative custodial arrangement or non-custodial arrangement for the Appellant.

Denial of the Appellant’s right to adequate facilities to prepare defence as enshrined in Section 36 (6) (b) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 is a jurisdictional issues in the absence of which the trial Court cannot assume or proceed with the jurisdiction over the case unless and until such facilities are accorded to the Appellant.”

The legal team also accused the trial judge of erring when she held that “I cannot make orders directing a security agency on how to do their work.

“I can only direct that whatever is within the law must be allowed to the Defendant. Counsel cannot direct the court or give condition to the court on how to conduct its business.

“The Defendant is entitled to a counsel of his choice and should be given the facility to conduct an interview with his counsel within the confines of the law.”

The detained IPOB leader by a notice of preliminary objection prayed the appellate court to find and hold that trial in the case cannot proceed except, the “respondent stopped the unconstitutional acts of forcibly seizing and photocopying confidential legal documents brought to the Appellant by the Appellant’s lawyers meant for the Appellant’s defence of the charges against the appellant.

“Stopped eavesdropping on the Appellant’s confidential consultation/conversations with the Appellant’s counsel which discussion is aimed at preparing the Appellant for his defence.

“The Respondent denied counsel to the Appellant the right to take notes; denied them the rights to transmit messages and information to the Appellant; secretly took pictures of counsel and the Appellant’s interviews and recorded briefings between the Appellant’s lawyers and the Appellant, scanned documents meant for the Appellant from the Appellant’s team of lawyers and even refused to allow lawyers to the Appellant deliver letters to the Appellant.

“The action of the Respondent in the instant case is a flagrant violation of the appellant’s right to counsel of his own choice as stipulated in Section 36 (6) (c) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).”

He also accused Justice Nyako of erring in law by ordering for accelerated hearing of the case given the facts of the case showing that the respondent had consistently refused to afford the Appellant the right to adequate facility to prepare for the defence of the charges leveled against the Appellant and his right to counsel, and thereby occasioned miscarriage of justice against the Appellant and in favour of the Respondent.

Kanu stressed that the judge “Cannot order accelerated hearing of a criminal charge where it is brought to the attention of the Court that the Appellant is denied the adequate facilities to prepare his defence and his right to counsel.

“The order for accelerated hearing of the case in face of the constitutional breaches of fair hearing/trial rights of the Appellant is a credence to the Respondent to proceed on the unconstitutional denial of the Appellant his right to adequate facilities to prepare for his defence and his right to counsel of his choice.”

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/04/breaking-nnamdi-kanu-rejects-justice-nyakos-ruling-charges-against-him-files-appeal

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Bulldozer90: 5:36pm On Apr 04
ipobcannibals:
R.i.p namadi cownu and all ipob terrorists and their supporters
easy bro. oyiboupdate is in prison right now but Kanu is not.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Christistruth00: 5:36pm On Apr 04
The Appeal court will bin the Case
Kanu is just waisting his time

Supreme Court has ruled

Next time the Court should fine his Lawyers enough money to build a highway
From his hometown to Abuja

Dave Umahi would make sure it is done

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by immortalcrown(m): 5:36pm On Apr 04
I am waiting for the end of the case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by wediehere1: 5:38pm On Apr 04
Killing Nnamdi Kanu now will be a great achievement for Tinubu

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Christistruth00: 5:39pm On Apr 04
Bulldozer90:

Kanu is in Jail

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Bulldozer90: 5:41pm On Apr 04
Christistruth00:

Kanu is in Jail
wouldn't blame you. If you knew the difference between jail and DSS custody, you wouldn't be opening senseless topics you are known for.

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by FreeStuffsNG: 7:21pm On Apr 04
wediehere1:

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/04/breaking-nnamdi-kanu-rejects-justice-nyakos-ruling-charges-against-him-files-appeal

Will the courts and prosecutors allow these voyage to get to the Supreme Court again?Smh.

It's high time the prosecution report these guys to the disciplinary committee of NBA.

This looks like an abuse of court processes in order to delay the trial after dragging the previous appeal up to the Supreme Court.
The trial must begin for justice delayed is justice denied.
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Roger3D(m): 8:51pm On Apr 04
Bulldozer90:
Kanu is in a worse place than prison and that's why he has endlessly petitioned the judge to send him to Kuje. DSS cell no be hotel o

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Bulldozer90: 9:03pm On Apr 04
Roger3D:
Kanu is in a worse place than prison and that's why he has endlessly petitioned the judge to send him to Kuje. DSS cell no be hotel o
oyiboupdate always wished Kanu prison. He is there now while Kanu is not. That's what matters. Bye!

16 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Roger3D(m): 9:07pm On Apr 04
Bulldozer90:
oyiboupdate always wished Kanu prison. He is there now while Kanu is not. That's what matters. Bye!
Has he been convicted yet? No.But I seriously tell you that prison is 100 times better than an underground DSS cell where you don't even get to know if it's day or night. That's where dilector has been spending the last ast 3 years

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Sapasenator: 9:10pm On Apr 04
East has been peaceful since Nnamdi Kanu was locked up.

Let him rot in jail. As much as I detest Buhari, one of his biggest achievements was locking up MNK who was determined to set the east on fire.

Rot in Jail mumu oyendu!

30 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by BondRiv: 9:31pm On Apr 04
This one is not coming out any time soon, and that is a good thing.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by gidgiddy: 11:31pm On Apr 04
Sapasenator:
East has been peaceful since Nnamdi Kanu was locked up.

Let him rot in jail. As much as I detest Buhari, one of his biggest achievements was locking up MNK who was determined to set the east on fire.

Rot in Jail mumu oyendu!

But Nigeria is 8th most insecure country on earth, all the insecurity in the South-East is not even up to what is happening in South Kaduna, or even Benue

I always laugh at these charlatans who let are not from the South-East, but claim they ate so concerned about the South-East, but are no where to be seen if armed bandits kidnapp 300 children in Katsina, kill 500 people in Agatu Benue, slaughter 80 people I'm Kebbi, or murder 130 people I'm Bokkos, Plateau

They only remember there's insecurity in Nigeria if it happens in the South-East grin grin grin grin

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Sapasenator: 11:36pm On Apr 04
gidgiddy:

But Nigeria is 8th most insecure country on earth, all the insecurity in the South-East is not even up to what is happening in South Kaduna, or even Benue

I always laugh at these charlatans who let are not from the South-East, but claim they ate so concerned about the South-East, but are no where to be seen if armed bandits kidnapp 300 children in Katsina, kill 500 people in Agatu Benue, slaughter 80 people I'm Kebbi, or murder 130 people I'm Bokkos, Plateau

They only remember there's insecurity in Nigeria if it happens in the South-East grin grin grin grin

GiddyGiddy, I know all your antics here here on Nl. You have always been a supporter of everything bad in the SE. From sit at home to destroy SE economy to your support for Ekpa at the detriment of the SE.

Kanu is totally deluded and wrong. Independence cannot be obtained by agression and empty noise making by someone who hides in the UK.

Nuff said.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by chichar1(f): 12:08am On Apr 05
Sapasenator:

GiddyGiddy, I know all your antics here here on Nl. You have always been a supporter of everything bad in the SE. From sit at home to destroy SE economy to your support for Ekpa at the detriment of the SE.

Kanu is totally deluded and wrong. Independence cannot be obtained by agression and empty noise making by someone who hides in the UK.

Nuff said.
Madman anthem!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Sapasenator: 12:09am On Apr 05
chichar1:
Madman anthem!!!!!

Are you ok?

Do you need something?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by chichar1(f): 12:10am On Apr 05
gidgiddy:

Pls stop engaging with that NONENTITY .
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by gidgiddy: 12:15am On Apr 05
Sapasenator:

Nuff said.

I'm still wondering why you people have so much love and concern for the SE, but this love and support completely disappears if killer herdsmen kill 120 farmers in Benue

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Sapasenator: 12:22am On Apr 05
gidgiddy:

I'm still wondering why you people have so much love and concern for the SE, but this love and support completely disappears if killer herdsmen kill 120 farmers in Benue

You see the problem. We are talking about Kanu and SE, you are talking about Benue and herdsmen. A na ko ibi,
I na ko akpupa.

Why don't you open a different thread for Benue and herdsmen so we can contribute.

Kanu belongs in jail my dear friend. I know you are not happy for the relative calm and peace in the SE. Bia woke., don't let me brand you an enemy of the SE.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by chichar1(f): 12:59am On Apr 05
Sapasenator:

Are you ok?

Do you need something?
mtcheeewww !!!!

Abeg get lost.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by wediehere1: 2:29am On Apr 05
FreeStuffsNG:

Will the courts and prosecutors allow these voyage to get to the Supreme Court again?Smh.

It's high time the prosecution report these guys to the disciplinary committee of NBA.

This looks like an abuse of court processes in order to delay the trial after dragging the previous appeal up to the Supreme Court.
Nelson Mandela didn’t do like this

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by gidgiddy: 6:45am On Apr 05
Sapasenator:

You see the problem. We are talking about Kanu and SE, you are talking about Benue and herdsmen. A na ko ibi,
I na ko akpupa.

Why don't you open a different thread for Benue and herdsmen so we can contribute.

Kanu belongs in jail my dear friend. I know you are not happy for the relative calm and peace in the SE. Bia woke., don't let me brand you an enemy of the SE.

Everybody in the South East wants Kanu released. The only people who want Kanu in jail are the none South easterners who want to protect their useless 'one Nigeria'

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by wediehere1: 7:02am On Apr 05
gidgiddy:

Everybody in the South East wants Kanu released. The only people who want Kanu in jail are the none South easterners who want to protect their useless 'one Nigeria'
forget about Nnamdi Kanu
He will never never come out alive

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by AcadaWriter: 7:15am On Apr 05
I am waiting for the end of the case.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by gidgiddy: 7:56am On Apr 05
wediehere1:
forget about Nnamdi Kanu
He will never never come out alive

Don't worry about Kanu, he is only there because Nigeria has failed. Worry about your failed Nigeria because it will cause many more Nnamdi Kanu"s to rise up in the future

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by fredoooooo: 8:07am On Apr 05
Did he file Appeal to a biafra judge or a Nigerian judge?
Oga carry ya case go meet Jubrin wey put you inside ya zoo, so you and ya other animals can shout and make noise.
grin cheesy grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Johnjustice: 8:07am On Apr 05
Kanu face reality, the evidence against you are everywhere.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal by Franzinni: 8:07am On Apr 05
Instead of make he dey twerk, he dey strong yansh ...

You say naija nah zoo but now nah you dey inside cage ... Irony.

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos From Federal Executive Council Meeting Today / President Muhammadu Buhari Departs London For Abuja (video) / 2019: "I Won't Fight Selective Corruption" - Saraki Promises Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.