Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN (14618 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 6:11am On Nov 17, 2011
Uniben graduates 62 first class, 8,722 others

A total of 8,782 graduates will be turned out at the convocation ceremony of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) on Wednesday, November 27, with 62 first class honours; 1,416 in the second class upper division and with 1,296 graduating with master’s degrees.

Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Professor Osayuki Godwin Osodin, has also raised the alarm over threat to security in the university and the menace of erosion already ravaging the institution.

Professor Osodin, who raised the alarm during a pre-37th convocation/41st founder’s day press briefing at the university’s Senate Chamber in Benin City, said the institution’s “security department has been put on the red alert, especially as a result of a recent challenge by the threat of bomb blasts allegedly traced to the Boko Haram sect.”

Besides, Professor Oshodin said the authorities of UNIBEN had introduced new security measures on the campus “to check any ugly incident on the campus which enable us to contain the threat.”

The vice chancellor also said that “the university is currently being threatened by gully erosion which is moving at a speed of about 500 meters a year,” pointing out that the university had written to relevant agencies like the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) and Federal Ministry of Niger Delta about the problems.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/31402-uniben-graduates-62-first-class-8722-others
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 6:24am On Nov 17, 2011
72 of over 1600 bag first in u.i,less than 25 students bag first class in lautech,4 out of over 8000 bag 1st in lasu,unilag produce over 80 first class last year,23 bag first class of over 1600 student in unilorin recently. most state universities produce less number of first class ,does that mean that state univ students are dull ? mod move the topic to the front page
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by alienvirus: 6:32am On Nov 17, 2011
Nope. State Universities don't dash out first class like that. It is senseless having up to 50 first class. Typical nonsensical nigerians way of doint things
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 17, 2011
First Class is never dashed out anywhere, you make it.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Grassroot: 7:51am On Nov 17, 2011
IMO, the brightest students go to federal universities. In most cases, state universities are second choices. That was the case in my time. Everyone wants to attend UI, Uniben, Unilag, FUTA, FUTO, leaving schools like AAU, LAUTECH, as second choices. I'm not saying students in SUs are dull, the best students just prefer federal schools. Maybe you can add quality of teaching to that, but its bad everywhere anyway.

1 Like

Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by jmaine: 7:54am On Nov 17, 2011
Jarus:

You gave him a very good response . . .
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 8:24am On Nov 17, 2011
Jarus:

jmaine:

You gave him a very good response . . .

first class is never dashed out but earned, now most state sch produce less cos of so many reasons: bibery, distractions like cultism. Aristoism, hustling etc, too much run at addmission excersice. Nobody ever dashes out first class.

When it was CU producin 1st class fed sch. Were complaining, now we have fed sch regaining their consiousness and the state sch r beggining to complian abt them.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 8:44am On Nov 17, 2011
Whether private or Federal or state, I personally believe First class is earned and will not condemn any school for producing many First Class. From my observation, I think First Class corresponds to the conduciveness of learning environment. This is why Private universities tend to produce more, followed by Federal and then State in that order. This is the same reason why Top schools even in the West produce in high numbers equivalents of First Class.

In private unis, they are programmed to just read, eat, go to church/mosque, water/electricity taken care of, what to eat not something to worry about. An average brilliant student will excel under this circumstance.

Federal Unis(esp First Generation ones) may be free, but most lecturers, having seen it all, are usually liberal. In my uni(federal, 1st generation) for example, though very free, we hardly worried about water/electricity and other distractions, so the serious ones have all what it takes to excel. Add stiff competition among the brightests to that, and you will see why First Class may not be impossible.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by texazzpete(m): 9:03am On Nov 17, 2011
alienvirus:

Nope. State Universities don't dash out first class like that. It is senseless having up to 50 first class. Typical nonsensical nigerians way of doint things

Unlike your state university, there are tons of departments in Uniben, each one churning out its fair share of brilliant students.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 9:36am On Nov 17, 2011
Jarus:

Whether private or Federal or state, I personally believe First class is earned and will not condemn any school for producing many First Class. From my observation, I think First Class corresponds to the conduciveness of learning environment. This is why Private universities tend to produce more, followed by Federal and then State in that order. This is the same reason why Top schools even in the West produce in high numbers equivalents of First Class.

In private unis, they are programmed to just read, eat, go to church/mosque, water/electricity taken care of, what to eat not something to worry about. An average brilliant student will excel under this circumstance.

Federal Unis(esp First Generation ones) may be free, but most lecturers, having seen it all, are usually liberal. In my uni(federal, 1st generation) for example, though very free, we hardly worried about water/electricity and other distractions, so the serious ones have all what it takes to excel. Add stiff competition among the brightests to that, and you will see why First Class may not be impossible.

@bolded
private sch reality r much more diff. Than u 've pointed out there, in a private school like covenant they r made to engage in extra curricula activities that out weights lack of electricity, water etc u mentioned, i mean activities like church services (abt 9 hrs everx week), extra 30-something units minimum academic workload over a period of eight/nine academic semesters, physical exercises, restriction in movement even when they need to get out of sch for project and more.
They produce first class simply becos the students merit those grades.

2 Likes

Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by otokx(m): 9:42am On Nov 17, 2011
Authorities in Nigerian universities have now joined the charade and think it is by the number of first class that signifies which university is the best. Imagine the UNIBEN authorities listing relevant institutions for treatment of gully erosion as NDDC and Niger Delta ministry; goes to show you unusually low IQ in that place.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Kx: 9:52am On Nov 17, 2011
Is there a competition among the VC's for the school with the highest first class?

We say infrastructures even in the schools are lacking
Lecturers are poorly motivated and salaries trickles in late
Reading culture is falling
Students do more of FB, Tweets, cultism, relationships and political thuggery
Increased cases of Aristos, proostitution etc
Sorting,etc and more cases of buying grades
Most schools dont even have functional libraries and labs.
Computer students do only theories and no PCs to do practicals
Most HOD's keeps the departmental library books in HOD's drawers
Outsiders do project for most final year students for those that could nt do copy and paste.

Yet the number of first class are on the rise.
How is this possible?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by anishe(m): 10:01am On Nov 17, 2011
What is wrong if all the students make first class? If they work hard enough, why not?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 10:05am On Nov 17, 2011
otokx:

Authorities in Nigerian universities have now joined the charade and think it is by the number of first class that signifies which university is the best. Imagine the UNIBEN authorities listing relevant institutions for treatment of gully erosion as NDDC and Niger Delta ministry; goes to show you unusually low IQ in that place.

no. Of 1st class is to some extent a measure of sch standard, we all know that there r brillant around but some still manage not to make a good result because most public sch believe in giving out 1 or 2 first class per dept. Even when they have more students deserving of it.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 17, 2011
First class here, first class there. Everywhere you look first class is everywhere. Yet no Nigerian University made the global ranking.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 17, 2011
I love the responses given so far on this topic, Objective and unbiased opinions, Impressive, Cuz am ready to lash out my belt on anyone that barks. grin
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Elhef(m): 10:51am On Nov 17, 2011
First class is an achieveable feat, if you are determined to achieve it. That is not to say that some impediments could not hinder one's efforts at times as enumerated by Jarus et'al. There is nothing in the university statutes that says all the students can't make 1st if they deserved it and there is not nothing that says they can't always fail. Like what pple used to say abt d geology dept in my alma mater (1st generation university) that no student graduated in a particular academic year. Also, distraction is one of the factors that impede some ordinarilly 1st class material not to finish 1st. I have observed that Nigerians are very brilliant set of people and this has been proven with all the laudable feets they achieve outside the shore of Nigeria.
For the young nairalanders, strive and you shall achieve it!
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Elhef(m): 10:52am On Nov 17, 2011
Forgot to say that, Jarus you are really representing our alma mater. Nice one.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Acidosis(m): 11:14am On Nov 17, 2011
Its easier to get a 1st class in a school like UNIBEN compared to DELSU where your G.P every section is of the same ratio. You write essays and theories in the exams as against the too many MCQs written in UNIBEN. In DELSU, you hardly see 1 or 2 first class students out of 2000 graduating students. The lecturers are strict just because some of them made 3rd class while in school, so they believe its not possible for anyone to make higher scores. Some lecturers even vow that no one will make a C in their course. Now you understand why private schools are prefferable to any of these states and Federal schools. .

1 Like

Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by TommyEnny(m): 11:21am On Nov 17, 2011
For a university to meet the global ranking goes beyond the number of student gradutes wit 1st class. it's more about the quality of the lecturers and how condusive the learning environment is,
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 11:23am On Nov 17, 2011
Acidosis:

Its easier to get a 1st class in a school like UNIBEN compared to DELSU where your G.P every section is of the same ratio. You write essays and theories in the exams as against the too many MCQs written in UNIBEN. In DELSU, you hardly see 1 or 2 first class students out of 2000 graduating students. The lecturers are strict just because some of them made 3rd class while in school, so they believe its not possible for anyone to make higher scores. Some lecturers even vow that no one will make a C in their course. Now you understand why private schools are prefferable to any of these states and Federal schools. .
i can attest to that post delta state uni is known 4 those stuff u mentioned.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by dinah777: 11:26am On Nov 17, 2011
Coming from a prestigious institution like uniben,this is inspiring to our youths and helps to keep hope alive for our federal universities.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Elhef(m): 11:28am On Nov 17, 2011
@ Acidosis ,
As much as you have a right to your opinion, I do not agree with ur claim that it's easier to make 1st in schs like UNIBEN compared to DELSU. The truth is that if you attended any Nigerian Uni, you would have come across many lecturers saying all those jargons, A's for God, B's for Me, C's for exceptionally brilliant ones etc. But the truth is that if you deserved a 1st , nobody can deny you. There are periods that we on our own caused a lot of things and b4 we realise it might be too late. If not for some distractions I ought to have made a 1st but I did nt. And I couldn't put the blame on anybody. Distractions that we wouldn't have taken cognisance of , KILL!
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 17, 2011
Jarus:

add to the fact that to para quote dk on the private uni thread - most state unis are bottom of the barrel institutions for those who could not make it into federal universities. the number of smart people who got fked over by jamb in those institutions will be very small.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by oyinlolami(f): 11:51am On Nov 17, 2011
Acidosis:

MCQs in UNIBEN?? That ends in 100L or 200L depending on your course of study. Lecturers leave you to your fate most times there and for anyone to go through the stress and all what not and still come out with a first, it's is highly applaudable, I strongly know that first class in UNIBEN is never easy. Thumbs up to the first class students!
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Acidosis(m): 11:56am On Nov 17, 2011
oyb:

add to the fact that to para quote dk on the private uni thread - most state unis are bottom of the barrel institutions for those who could not make it into federal universities. the number of smart people who got fked over by jamb in those institutions will be very small.
what is wrong with people like you? Always finding a way to make your schools the best. Just because you went to a Federal school does'nt make it the best
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by ritux: 12:02pm On Nov 17, 2011
I think making 1st class is all about determination.I graduated from UNIBEN with a 2.2. I came to the UK to study for my masters at Heriot Watt University with the mind of coming out with a Merit but I graduated with a distinction as the 3rd best student in my class making a total of 7 As and 1C. How did this happen? I saw a flash drive someone left at the library and when I opened it to get the info of the owner so I could return it, I came across her result in one of the files. she graduated with a distinction 8-As. That was the day I made up my mind that if others can do it, so can I. Till today, I still blame myself for the 2.2 I made in UNIBEN because I was distracted along the line most especially in my 200. The bottom line is that if you are determined to make a first class, nobody can take it from you. If 100 students are in a class and they 50 of them are so brilliant that they deserved a 1st class will you then deprive them of it by slashing their result because they are too many?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 17, 2011
Acidosis:

what is wrong with people like you? Always finding a way to make your schools the best. Just because you went to a Federal school does'nt make it the best

apologies, but for me, schools like ambrose alli, absu etal are mostly clearing houses for people who have no business being in school in the first place

dont u remeber that scandal of the engineering student and her lecturer in ambrose alli ? does that one look like someone who has any business being in a tertiary institution? even lasu sef - at one point in time imho, it was simply a school for cultists, though that has changed somewhat.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by chamber2(m): 12:32pm On Nov 17, 2011
meonbooty:

Very dumb and incoherent statement from the so called First-class from OAU.  Stick to what you know, reading substandard Nigerian newspapers in office and playing ping pong with your not-so-smart, but uber entitled OANDO colleagues.

What exactly do you want to gain by typing this, attention??

oyb:

I am sure you didn't just type this, cos if someone like you would make such adulterated statement then something must be wrong somewhere. The fact remains, any body who worked very hard in the university is most likely to graduate with the grade he/she deserves- except with minor variations. Both federal and state uni graduates undergo the same or similar selection process, unlike the private uni which is an all comers affair. So, stating that those who went to federal unis (by the reason of their connection or ability) are smarter is really very unfortunate.

People make university choices based on so many factors-proximity to home, parental and peer influence, ethnicity, course of study etc. So, if we may go by your reasoning, the practice and principle of catchment areas by federal unis means that majority of their students are dumb and thereby rely on catchment to gain admission. A case where someone from Osun state will go to Ife, Ilorin- unilorin, Oyo-UI etc

I think one of the reasons why most state universities tend to produce very low number of first class is lack of motivation, both from the lecturers, environment and maybe their fellow students. An average federal uni will have top people in politics and business visiting once in a while to give talks and thereby motivate students. These are some of the things that state uni students are lacking. Given the same condition, state universities will do as well as federal unis.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 17, 2011
chamber2:

What exactly do you want to gain by typing this, attention??

I am sure you didn't just type this, cos if someone like you would make such adulterated statement then something must be wrong somewhere. The fact remains, any body who worked very hard in the university is most likely to graduate with the grade he/she deserves- except with minor variations. Both federal and state uni graduates undergo the same or similar selection process, unlike the private uni which is an all comers affair. So, stating that those who went to federal unis (by the reason of their connection or ability) are smarter is really very unfortunate.

People make university choices based on so many factors-proximity to home, parental and peer influence, ethnicity, course of study etc. So, if we may go by your reasoning, the practice and principle of catchment areas by federal unis means that majority of their students are dumb and thereby rely on catchment to gain admission. A case where someone from Osun state will go to Ife, Ilorin- unilorin, Oyo-UI etc

I think one of the reasons why most state universities tend to produce very low number of first class is lack of motivation, both from the lecturers, environment and maybe their fellow students. An average federal uni will have top people in politics and business visiting once in a while to give talks and thereby motivate students. These are some of the things that state uni students are lacking. Given the same condition, state universities will do as well as federal unis.

you know the principle of ivy league universities?

in nigeria the old federal schools are the closest we have to that

the state unis are somewhere below what are community colleges in the us

i wonder if with all this spirited defence of state unis, you'd send a ward to one of them if you had the choice of a federal institution
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2011
@ jarus : i partly disagree to yur point.two lasu law graduates having 2.2 and 2.1 in lasu both made distinction and emerged as best graduating student in the nig law sch.so they are indirectly a a 1st class but laSU DENIED THEM THE because d sch is tough and dnt dash out 1Rst clasr7 LHKE OTHER 7CH
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2011
@ jarus : i partly disagree to yur point.two lasu law graduates having 2.2 and 2.1 in lasu both made distinction and emerged as best graduating student in the nig law sch last month.so they are indirectly a a 1st class but laSU DENIED THEM THE because d sch is tough and dnt dash out 1st class LiKE OTHER sch

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Zonal Chapters To Review Strike This Week / JAMB 2019 - How To Register For JAMB 2019 / Armed Security Officers Stop Striking Ojukwu University Lecturers From Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.