Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa (17211 Views)

Electricity Workers Demand Withdrawal Of New Tariff / NERC Fines AEDC ₦200 Million For Violation Of The New Tariff / Please Don't Fall Victim Sit At Home From 23rd Of Feb Still Stand - Simon Ekpa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Agunesinjaweola: 1:15pm On Apr 06
This matter may lead to coup de tat in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by bluefilm: 1:20pm On Apr 06
It must stand until his mandate ends in 2099!

Everybody must get sense
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Anatolia: 1:20pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

People living in band A are the rich and wealthy.

24 h light should be for all. Stop all this classification.

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Brushstrokes20: 1:58pm On Apr 06
Spot on!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
eBOLA and his notorious gang of insatiable THIEVES must be checkmated!
If eBOLA were God, Nigerians will PAY PER SECONDS FOR THE AIR THEY BREATHE!
Criminal govt of self serving THIEVES AND πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Barryseal: 2:05pm On Apr 06
RhinoChest:
Subsidy has to go for power to improve. Once the market has injection of cash, more players will come in, more competition and cheaper prices for all in the long run.

Transcorp energy just floated their stocks, they account for a combined 1200 MW approx. They are anticipating cash injection, and that would lead to more turbines purchased, more expansion.

Egbin power plant just announced that they about to add wind turbines to their plant, thus even increasing power output.

Mr Musa, what all new investment will do is make Gencos ramp up power production at sustained rate. Bills from Discos will reflect market cost, and new players will enter, bringing prices down for all in the near future.

Banks will also start lending to Gencos and Discos because they are now confident the market has been reformed for power operators to pay back.

More investment also means more job opportunities for youths, because power companies will need more technicians, engineers, etc.

At the cost of modest income households paying over 50k energy bill monthly. Clapp for yourself

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:12pm On Apr 06
PressMyButton:
PDP sold NEPA to incompetent individuals while Government keeps paying subsidy to support their operations. Such can only happen in Nigeria where we keep giving money to buyers of public assests. They are only interested in collecting subsidies to futher enrinch themselves, for so long, Government has been paying subsidy for darkness. Kudos to the President for gradually putting a stop to the fraud.
PDP's contract with Discos ended in 2018. APC has renewed the contract twice since then.
The president did not put a stop to the fraud. He only kicked the can to the citizens

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:13pm On Apr 06
Anatolia:

24 h light should be for all. Stop all this classification.

Yeah and it can't be for all because we aren't paying cost reflective tarrifs.

In the big countries everyone pays a cost reflective tarrif, and also pays enough in tax for government to pay some form of energy subsidy for the very poor, not for everyone.

In Nigeria, not only do we don't pay a cost reflective tarrif, millions of us openly steal electricity and as a result the power companies don't have enough money

Yeah , even the profit they made last year...they owe far more than that to the gas companies. We haven't even mentioned the one they owe the tax man.

Forget politics, forget apc pdp nonsense, me I never voted for apc in my life, but it is a thing that the only way to let a business run well is to allow it to charge the prices they set. And to never pay then consumption subsides

We've subsidise power for decades. Time to try something different.

You are free to disagree with me.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by slowice(m): 2:15pm On Apr 06
helinues:

If areas are grouped to the right band based on the electricity they are supplied, this new tariff shouldn't have much effects.

All this epistle is unnecessary

No part of Nigeria should pay that much for electricity. Nothing in Nigeria supports that level of extortion.. No our income level, standard of living or even electricity distribution

2 Likes

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by DeepSight(m): 2:15pm On Apr 06
markidoo:
First it was subsidy for petroleum products,then came the Fall πŸ‚ of the NairaπŸ’΅, increase in Food and other essential commodities skyrocketed, not to talk 🦜🐦🦜 about insecurity, now it's electricity πŸ”Œ, these people keep biting Nigerians and the funny 🀣 thing is the elasticity that we can be stretched defies the Laws of Elasticity.. What can really be done to bring succour to the Common Man

If we stay docile, they will eat us till our death.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by DeepSight(m): 2:16pm On Apr 06
helinues:

If areas are grouped to the right band based on the electricity they are supplied, this new tariff shouldn't have much effects.

All this epistle is unnecessary

You must be sick in the head. Ripple effects of the pricing naturally exist.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:22pm On Apr 06
slowice:

No part of Nigeria should pay that much for electricity. Nothing in Nigeria supports that level of extortion.. No our income level, standard of living or even electricity distribution

Unfortunately the cost of production of electricity has no respect for anyone's purse especially the government
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Anatolia: 2:33pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Yeah and it can't be for all because we aren't paying cost reflective tarrifs.

In the big countries everyone pays a cost reflective tarrif, and also pays enough in tax for government to pay some form of energy subsidy for the very poor, not for everyone.

In Nigeria, not only do we don't pay a cost reflective tarrif, millions of us openly steal electricity and as a result the power companies don't have enough money

Yeah , even the profit they made last year...they owe far more than that to the gas companies. We haven't even mentioned the one they owe the tax man.

Forget politics, forget apc pdp nonsense, me I never voted for apc in my life, but it is a thing that the only way to let a business run well is to allow it to charge the prices they set. And to never pay then consumption subsides

We've subsidise power for decades. Time to try something different.

You are free to disagree with me.

My question is how can the cost of 24h power supply be higher than the minimum wage? There is no where the average monthly minimum wage is less than the cost of 24 h electricity supply.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Anatolia: 2:35pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Unfortunately the cost of production of electricity has no respect for anyone's purse especially the government

What cost are they incurring when they are producing nothing.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:38pm On Apr 06
zionstaar75:
this write up is a bloody lie and only ignorant people will believe it. First you can never use the same number of units in a month. It's practically impossible. I know because I've been using prepaid meter for 12 years and I've never used the same units twice. Secondly if u don't have light your meter will not read so you can't be using the units when there's no light. Common sense has become scarce on nairaland I now use the platform only once or twice a week
How does that affect the fact that 1 unit will cost you N225

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:39pm On Apr 06
Anatolia:

What cost are they incurring when they are producing nothing.

How can they improve cost when they are not allowed to set their prices?

It's not like they have access to a money tree.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:40pm On Apr 06
Anatolia:

My question is how can the cost of 24h power supply be higher than the minimum wage? There is no where the average monthly minimum wage is less than the cost of 24 h electricity supply.

Because the cost of things has no respect for your wage.

If it did, I would be buying a Ferrari tomorrow.

Government paying subsides over the years is a big reason for our debt mass.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:40pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:
The basic thing is, at the end, the power sector is operating at a loss because of subsidy.

I see people saying they made profit last year. Well, debts to the gas companies would eat the profit, and they still will owe some money. And we haven't even mentioned government tax, and a host of other costs that need to be paid.

At the end, we have bad light because we don't want to pay for good light supply.
You said they are operating at a loss then you agreed they made profit last year.
Why are you contradicting yourself

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:42pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

You said they are operating at a loss then you agreed they made profit last year.
Why are you contradicting yourself

Things cost money. It needn't make you mad

Also debt to the gas man is higher than their profit. Then there is what they owe on tax.

That's why I laugh at the reports of their profit.

That's all I have for you today. Remember, things money cost.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:42pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

What is the cost of producing electricity

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

What is the cost of producing electricity

Would you accept the government setting your prices for you?
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:45pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Things cost money. It needn't make you mad

Also debt to the gas man is higher than their profit. Then there is what they owe on tax.

That's why I laugh at the reports of their profit.

That's all I have for you today. Remember, things money cost.
What do you suggest the minimum wage should be in Nigeria based on the cost of "things"?

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

What do you suggest the minimum wage should be in Nigeria based on the cost of "things"?

The price of things does not respect your wages.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:46pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Would you accept the government setting your prices for you?
The government has a right to set prices in some instances.

It's not a question of acceptance or not

Will I accept to pay tax when I don't have access to good roads and public water? No!! Do I pay tax? Yes!!

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Anatolia: 2:47pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Because the cost of things has no respect for your wage.

If it did, I would be buying a Ferrari tomorrow.

Government paying subsides over the years is a big reason for our debt mass.

You have not answered my question.

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:48pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

The government has a right to set prices in some instances.

It's not a question of acceptance or not

Will I accept to pay tax when I don't have access to good roads and public water? No!! Do I pay tax? Yes!!

Yes, and doing that is why we don't have good power supply and refineries

Government used to set prices for some foods , until scarcity resulted. Then they had to end it.

At the end, price don't respect your wallet. If it did, I would have built two houses by now for 200 naira. grin
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:48pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

The price of things does not respect your wages.
I agree.

But no one can pay what he doesn't have the ability to pay.

For example, this writer said his bill will rise to N80,000 with the new tariff. I'm sure you'll agree the vast majority of Nigerians can't afford to pay N80,000 as electricity bill every month. So what do you suggest should be done?

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:49pm On Apr 06
Anatolia:

You have not answered my question.

You do not like the answer of your question.

Things cost money, sadly. If you want 24 hour power, you pay the price for it. Or you take your bad power without complaining.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:50pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

I agree.

But no one can pay what he doesn't have the ability to pay.

For example, this writer said his bill will rise to N80,000 with the new tariff. I'm sure you'll agree the vast majority of Nigerians can't afford to pay N80,000 as electricity bill every month. So what do you suggest should be done?

So accept your bad power then. It's what we can afford

It's not like power companies have a cess to money pots spitting out billions per second.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:51pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Yes, and doing that is why we don't have good power supply and refineries

Government used to set prices for some foods , until scarcity resulted. Then they had to end it.

At the end, price don't respect your wallet. If it did, I would have built two houses by now for 200 naira. grin
I don't agree that subsidy is the reason we don't have refineries or power supply and you're aware I don't so don't let's go into that.

My point is on the demand and supply dynamics.

If the price set by power coys is not affordable to the customers, what do you suggest the customers do next?

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by Kukutenla: 2:53pm On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

So accept your bad power then. It's what we can afford

It's not like power companies have a cess to money pots spitting out billions per second.
Ok. The NERC claimed some people are getting 20hr light daily. Nigerians are saying that's a lie.
Dr Abah even threw a challenge of 3 months to AEDC.
So if we're to accept the bad power, the rates should be reversed as well right?

1 Like

Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:55pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

I don't agree that subsidy is the reason we don't have refineries or power supply and you're aware I don't so don't let's go into that.

My point is on the demand and supply dynamics.

If the price set by power coys is not affordable to the customers, what do you suggest the customers do next?

Pay their price.

We can say the same thing about many things in this world...they aren't affordable. SO, they either pay what they can afford.

Thing is, we don't produce most of the stuff associated with power here. And the gas people dont want to sell in naira, no matter how hard government tries. SO, people either pay what they can afford.

IN Ghana, most people cannot afford 24 hour power, so they disconnect themselves from the mains supply to save up on power money. Harsh, but that's it.

The only way government can afford subsides is by raising our tax to gdp ratio , which is too low. But most of us don't like that, so, tarrifs are the only way to go.

Unfair, yes. But you work in the private sector. You won;t agree to a reduction in the price for your service because people are too poor to pay you.
Re: This New Tariff Must Not Stand! - Simon Musa by nairalanda1(m): 2:58pm On Apr 06
Kukutenla:

Ok. The NERC claimed some people are getting 20hr light daily. Nigerians are saying that's a lie.

It's actually true. There are even lists circulating from the discos. We can deny , but it is true. (And they always pay more.).

Dr Abah even threw a challenge of 3 months to AEDC.
So if we're to accept the bad power, the rates should be reversed as well right?

Nope, the power companies want to improve service, so the rates have to go up.

Like the GSM, when they came they had to improve telephony in Nigeria from scratch. Naturally bills were high in the first few years, and service was poor. But because government was not setting their prices, they felt confident to invest more...and that is why today, a very large percentage of NIgerians have access to internet and telephone service. Compared to 25 years ago

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benue-South Rerun: APC Members Defect To PDP / Court Orders The Forfeiture Of Andrew Yakubu's $9.8m To FG / How Is Electricity Power Supply In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.