Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother (5842 Views)

Fela Kuti's Family Reacts As APC Uses Fela's Songs For Their Campaign / 2023 : Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu Joins Race For Imo East Senatorial Seat / Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Spectators: 6:58pm On Apr 06
Family reacts to Betty Anyanwu purported marriage to Akeredolu’s younger brother

Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu's family has spoken out to deny rumors that she is married to her brother-in-law, Prof Wole Akeredolu.

In a statement posted on social media, Mrs Anyanwu-Akeredolu clarified that bloggers had misrepresented a story about traditional rituals that took place in her hometown in Imo State after the burial of her late husband, former Ondo State governor Rotimi Akeredolu.

The statement clarified that the rituals were customary for the wife of a deceased person in the Igbo culture, and that during the ceremony, Mrs Anyanwu-Akeredolu was handed over to Prof Wole Akeredolu as per tradition.

However, the statement emphasized that this did not mean that they were married, and that reports suggesting otherwise were false and a misrepresentation of the facts.

https://spectatorsng.com/family-reacts-to-betty-anyanwu-purported-marriage-to-akeredolus-younger-brother/

4 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Xscape1993(m): 7:00pm On Apr 06
It is well ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 8:45pm On Apr 06
Such ritual is only performed in her village not Igbo land,. I never heard that a woman will go to her father's land for any ritual after the death of her husband and I am an Igbo and an adult as well, so she shouldn't make it seem to be a general practice. Again I haven't heard about a widow's family handing her over to her husband's sibling, honestly this sounds strange to me.

If she is to be from my place, she would still be in mourning period

17 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by paramakina202: 8:54pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:
Such ritual is only performed in her village not Igbo land,. I never heard that a woman will go to her father's land for any ritual after the death of her husband and I am an Igbo and an adult as well, so she shouldn't make it seem to be a general practice. Again I haven't heard about a widow's family handing her over to her husband's sibling, honestly this sounds strange to me.

Betty knows what she is doing.You do not need to understand it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 9:04pm On Apr 06
paramakina202:

Betty knows what she is doing.You do not need to understand it.
Oga what am trying to say is that whatever she is trying to do is not a general Igbo ritual. It might be how they do it in her community but not igbo as a whole. For me it is a strange ritual. The only thing that will make a widow's family hand her over to her husband's brother is if the brother wants to marry her which we call "nkuchi" in Igbo language, though such is rare now and Betty is way too old for such as she already has adult children.
Nkuchi is mostly done when the widow is young, with tittle children or no child at all.

She never said the truth what she went to her village to do

20 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by EmeeNaka: 9:07pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

There is no general custom pertaining to all Igbo people. Every tribe among Igbos are unique and has some customs that are practiced among them alone.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by franchasofficia: 9:08pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

Don't mind them.

Which yeye ritual in Igbo land?

That is how they misrepresent Igbo culture to Igbo haters who will not bother to verify.

It's a shame that Betty Anyanwu couldn't build a befitting house in her father's compound and couldn't develop her kindred despite being the wife of a state Governor for over 6 years, no wonder she was rejected at the polls when she tried to contest for Senate seat in Imo state.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by paramakina202: 9:12pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

Oga what am trying to say is that whatever she is trying to do is not a general Igbo ritual. It might be how they do it in her community but not igbo as a whole. For me it is a strange ritual. The only thing that will make a widow's family hand her over to her husband's brother is if the brother wants to marry her which we call "nkuchi" in Igbo language, though such is rare now and Betty is way too old for such as she already has adult children.
Nkuchi is mostly done when the widow is young, with tittle children or no child at all.

All the things do they in Anambra villages and they call it Igbo culture even if it is unknown to majority of ndi Igbo?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by oyatz(m): 9:13pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

You may not understand the culture of her hometown than her.

What you just describe as 'nkuchi' is also practice in Yoruba culture, the only difference is that it is the husband's family headed by the Family's Patriach that hand-over the widow to her late Husband's brother, cousin or any close relative to 'so lo po' meaning to re-marry her, raised children in the name of her deceased husband or take care of the widow and her young kids. Other family members are also expected to assist the woman by occasional gifts of farm produce and some may offer to take one of the kids to live with them. The Practice is however fading now due to westernization/ Pentecostal christianity.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 9:13pm On Apr 06
EmeeNaka:
There is no general custom pertaining to all Igbo people. Every tribe among Igbos are unique and has some customs that are practiced among them alone.
That is why I fault her, by making it an Igbo thing, she would have said it is her village custom.

A married woman who commits adultery in my community runs mad instantly but it is not so in my neighbouring community, so I can't come out and say that the practice is an Igbo culture.

4 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by GenSpecifics: 9:17pm On Apr 06
The woman no wan ever go back to her village.

Lol
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 9:17pm On Apr 06
oyatz:

You may not understand the culture of her hometown than her.

What you just describe as 'nkuchi' is also practice in Yoruba culture, the only difference is that it is the husband's family headed by the Family's Patriach that hand-over the widow to her late Husband's brother, cousin or any close relative to 'so lo po' meaning to re-marry her, raised children in the name of her deceased husband or take care of the widow and her young kids. Other family members are also expected to assist the woman by occasional gifts of farm produce and some may offer to take one of the kids to live with them. The Practice is however fading now due to westernization/ Pentecostal christianity.
That is why I said the culture is peculiar to her home town not an Igbo thing as she said.
Pls try to understand my argument

3 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Objectivist04: 9:24pm On Apr 06
paramakina202:

All the things do they in Anambra villages and they call it Igbo culture even if it is unknown to majority of ndi Igbo?
An Igbo culture is a culture practiced in the entire Igbo land like, akwam ozu, ighankwu nwanyi, igba boyi, I ri ji ofuru , I ti mmanwu, I gba egbe ma a neli ozu, i wa oji ma agbakoo etc, you can't have a particular practice in just a local government and call it Igbo culture.

2 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Okoroawusa: 9:38pm On Apr 06
I doubted the story when I first heard of it but this their explanation get k-leg because I am Igbo too and what they are explaining as a ritual sounds strange to me.

Meanwhile this her father's or is it umunna's compound nwekwara k'odi o!
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Okoroawusa: 9:40pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

An Igbo culture is a culture practiced in the entire Igbo land like, akwam ozu, ighankwu nwanyi, igba boyi, I ri ji ofuru , I ti mmanwu, I gba egbe ma a neli ozu, i wa oji ma agbakoo etc, you can't have a particular practice in just a local government and call it Igbo culture.
Bro, stop replying everyone. Anyone that has not understood all that you have explained so far is just being mischievous

2 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Felabrity: 10:09pm On Apr 06
This is preposterous, ridiculous
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by flokii: 10:30pm On Apr 06
Let me reserve my comments.. It's like Madam Betty likes men younger than her in age.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by EmeeNaka: 10:37pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

That is why I fault her, by making it an Igbo thing, she would have said it is her village custom.

A married woman who commits adultery in my community runs mad instantly but it is not so in my neighbouring community, so I can't come out and say that the practice is an Igbo culture.
I agree!
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by faceland: 10:41pm On Apr 06
This is borderline "selling your soul for a penny".

...to the Blogger that conceived this rumour.

1 Like

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by illicit(m): 10:56pm On Apr 06
What's the difference?

Just that she's old already, if she was still young nko?
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Tochj(m): 11:20pm On Apr 06
Objectivist04:

Ibu nwa afo Igbo
Ima Omenala
Never heard that kind of tradition in igboland
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by Slytiger: 11:27pm On Apr 06
franchasofficia:
Don't mind them.

Which yeye ritual in Igbo land?

That is how they misrepresent Igbo culture to Igbo haters who will not bother to verify.

It's a shame that Betty Anyanwu couldn't build a befitting house in her father's compound and couldn't develop her kindred despite being the wife of a state Governor for over 6 years, no wonder she was rejected at the polls when she tried to contest for Senate seat in Imo state.
Where were you when she was sharing ondo's commonwealth by dishing out scholarship to imo citizens and giving jobs to imo people over Ondo people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by onumadu: 11:42pm On Apr 06
What are they talking about?
FACT: "She was handed over to Prof Akeredolu" ...
For what reason then?
For the Prof to keep her as trophy?
Too much education can be dangerous sometimes. lol
What I know is that Igbo (and I suspect some Yoruba) practice Levirate marriage (whereby a brother takes over the wife of a late brother).
Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Nothing to be ashamed of and nothing to speak long grammar about.

2 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by AmotekunSW: 12:07am On Apr 07
Lmaooo

See the compound where the noisemaking Betty comes from. grin

Out of respect for Aketi's memory, make I no talk anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by AmotekunSW: 12:14am On Apr 07
Tochj:

Ibu nwa afo Igbo
Ima Omenala
Never heard that kind of tradition in igboland
Objectivist04:

That is why I said the culture is peculiar to her home town not an Igbo thing as she said.
Pls try to understand my argument
Objectivist04:
Such ritual is only performed in her village not Igbo land,
Again I haven't heard about a widow's family handing her over to her husband's sibling, honestly this sounds strange to me.

The fact that you don't know something does not mean that it doesn't exist. It only means you are ignorant of what is outside your sphere of knowledge.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by olisaEze(m): 1:04am On Apr 07
Nigeria has over 270 ethnic groups with different dialects and cultures, don’t expect to know it all. This culture isn’t unique to Nigeria alone, as European royalty also practiced it. King Henry 8th & Catherine of Aragon is a classic example. Even the Israelites of old had the same custom, as it is recorded that Judah lost his first two sons because one refused to fulfill his duty to his brother’s wife. Nowadays, the option is granted to the widow as a way to assure her of a place in the family. But conjugal rights is and will always be an option left only to the adults. cool

3 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by ebufa: 2:44am On Apr 07
paramakina202:

You must be high on latrine fumes.....Is Betty from anambra state ? You people can be so annoying!
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by duduade: 2:52am On Apr 07
Is that the brother in the picture below

Resemblance with her late husband is so striking

1 Like

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by AcadaWriter: 3:13am On Apr 07
It is well ooo.
Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by adamma24: 6:59am On Apr 07
Spectators:
Family reacts to Betty Anyanwu purported marriage to Akeredolu’s younger brother

Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu's family has spoken out to deny rumors that she is married to her brother-in-law, Prof Wole Akeredolu.

In a statement posted on social media, Mrs Anyanwu-Akeredolu clarified that bloggers had misrepresented a story about traditional rituals that took place in her hometown in Imo State after the burial of her late husband, former Ondo State governor Rotimi Akeredolu.

The statement clarified that the rituals were customary for the wife of a deceased person in the Igbo culture, and that during the ceremony, Mrs Anyanwu-Akeredolu was handed over to Prof Wole Akeredolu as per tradition.

However, the statement emphasized that this did not mean that they were married, and that reports suggesting otherwise were false and a misrepresentation of the facts.

https://spectatorsng.com/family-reacts-to-betty-anyanwu-purported-marriage-to-akeredolus-younger-brother/

From this statement...it shows that she was indeed wedded to one member of the family....because she was ask and she choose to still continue living and bearing the name of the family..hence this action..it does not necessarily mean they will be cohabiting ..no..just a figure that she is still in the family and someone is standing as her husband

2 Likes

Re: Family Reacts To Betty Anyanwu Purported Marriage To Akeredolu’s Younger Brother by michlins(m): 7:08am On Apr 07
Objectivist04:

you were born and raised in a place outside of your village

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Officially Bars Sylva From Running As Bayelsa Governor - SaharaReporters / Nigeria Loses 3137MW Of Electricity Due To Gas / Stakeholders Blame Nigeria’s Receding Waters On Coal Mining

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.