Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,817,001 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying (491 Views)

My Poultry Journey... / This Is The Snake Killing My Chickens & Tampering With Their Eggs In My Poultry / Day Old Chicks, Poults And Growing Birds Are For Sale In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 7:32pm On Apr 08
I am going to be as brief as possible. I just built a house for my old man around Atan Otta, Ogun state. The back is uncompleted.

Last year, he bought some white birds for consumption and none died so I decided to set up a poultry for him so he can keep himself busy as he doesn't like being idle. It was agreed that he should get about 20 birds to test the water before procuring another batch for December business. He got 10 white broiler birds and someone then helped him to source 10 brown births from another source.

Unfortunately, the brown birds started dying
after a week one after the other. It always starts with the bird gasping for air, then it starts to doze off and die. Today alone two have died. The last bird in the video seems dead this morning. I buried one but the second was still breathing. This evening, I went to check it and noticed that it was shaking its head and trying to get up.

If this one dies, it will be the third.

What can I do to protect the rest and prevent the birds from dying?

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 7:34pm On Apr 08
This space is meant for follow up response
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 7:35pm On Apr 08
Those coloured one are noilers I suppose
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by dgitrader(m): 7:39pm On Apr 08
Find a vetinary shop near your fast!

1 Like

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 7:58pm On Apr 08
I do not have any idea about poultry but I am willing to learn from others experiences. I came around yesterday on vacation

I asked him just now and he said yes, they are Noiler.

dgitrader:
Find a vetinary shop near your fast!
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 8:00pm On Apr 08
This area is somewhat remote. I will ask around tomorrow. Thanks.

dgitrader:
Findveterinaryary shop near your fast!
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by Pussyisgud: 8:45pm On Apr 08
How do people just jump into business that they know nothing about and begin to do try your luck with their money.
This op you are a typical ignoramus u are asking the question you should have asked before entering. Anyway enjoy
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by Dundalk(m): 9:04pm On Apr 08
Pussyisgud:
How do people just jump into business that they know nothing about and begin to do try your luck with their money.
This op you are a typical ignoramus u are asking the question you should have asked before entering. Anyway enjoy
you are too harsh.. Take it easy..

1 Like

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by CodeTemplar: 9:17pm On Apr 08
Google about noilers gasping for air before dying and ask the vets around.
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by Akinola100: 12:42am On Apr 09
Your birds are suffering from heat stress. The hot weather has serious adverse effects on them that's why you noticed intense gasping, fainting and sudden death. What you need to do:

1. Provide them with ample fresh water, great one if it's chilled
2. Don't over crowd them, consider your stocking density. E.g., don't put five birds in a place that can accommodate two
3.Place your poultry coop or their house/pen in a shade. For instance, if you have banana plants clustered around, take them there. This is because banana/plantain plants naturally produce lots of humidity, so it's always cool.
4.Don't stress them, handle them gently.
5. Incase of next time, buy breeds from reputable hatcheries that are resilient to unfavourable weather.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by productsrules(m): 11:45am On Apr 09
Headen Fortunes In Cassava Tuber

Do you know that, with little capital in your hand and little space in your kitchen, you can successfully produce liquid laundry starch from cassava tuber with high quality standard that will be of high demand in the market, I mean the kind of liquid laundry starch that people will beg you with money to buy from you, yes they will beg to buy from you presently I can't even meet up with demand, why because this product is hot cake for dry cleaning outfit they can't do without it, they will have to applied liquid laundry starch to every washed fabric and only few knows about the original recipe for this unique product. [Liquid laundry starch].
Engaging yourself in production of liquid laundry starch will give you fortune,

It will give you %100 return on investment, I mean if you invested just 20,000. your profit after all expenses will equate to 20,000.

If you care to know more, check my signature.
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 12:23pm On Apr 09
Where did you see jumping into business? It was clearly stated that the 20 units is just to see how things go before proceeding to invest in the business. If I wanted to jump into the business, I could have easily stocked a thousand birds and still not lamented if they all died.

Every business starts from somewhere and learns through experience gained. The reason I posted this here is to gain experience so that if the birds survive from what is learned here, it would add to the treasure trove of knowledge. Even if you asked questions before starting, no one will be able to tell you everything. You have to be in it and when problems arise, you seek solutions until you have solutions to issues you have personally experienced.

And I am not the one managing it, my old man does. Do you want me to ask an over 70-year-old man to go work in poultry to gain experience?

Pussyisgud:

1 Like

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 12:27pm On Apr 09
My old man has cassava on the lands here and they are doing good. He just wants some livestock even if it is just for consumption.

productsrules:
Headen Fortunes In Cassava Tuber

Do you know that, with little capital in your hand and little space in your kitchen, you can successfully produce liquid laundry starch from cassava tubera with high quality standard that will be of high demand in the market, I mean the kind of liquid laundry starch that people will beg you with money to buy from you, yes they will beg to buy from you presently I can't even meet up with demand, why because this product is hot cake for dry cleaning outfit they can't do without it, they will have to applied liquid laundry starch to every washed fabric and only few knows about the original recipe for this unique product. [Liquid laundry starch].
Engaging yourself in production of liquid laundry starch will give you fortune,

It will give you %100 return on investment, I mean if you invested just 20,000. your profit after all expenses will equate to 20,000.

If you care to know more, check my signature.
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 12:44pm On Apr 09
We don't experience heat here. It is very cool here. I have been here for three days and I don't experience heat except when I go outside in the sun. It is very cool inside so I will rule out the heat.

There is no overcrowding. This room is big enough to accommodate 70 to 100 births. The birds are just 20. So I will rule out overcrowding.

I observed that he is feeding them pellets which wasn't the case with the successful batch he reared last year. The pellets are too big for birds their size so I asked him to get new feeds or grind the pellets as it might get stuck in their throats.

Someone suggested looking out for gaspworms. I will recommend he breed the white ones which he was successful with last year.

I know one or two things about poultry like management, organizing, spacing, etc. My only issue is identifying illness and it's recommended treatment.

Akinola100:
Your birds are suffering from heat stress. The hot weather has serious adverse effects on them that's wnoticenoticed as intense gasping, f,ainting and sudden death. What you need to do:

1. Provide them with ample fresh wa ater, great one if it's chilled
2. Don't over crowd them, consider your stocking density. E.g., don't put five birds in a place that can accommodate two
3.Place your poultry coop or their house/pen in a shade. For instance, if you have banana plants clustered around, take them there. This is because banana/plantain plants naturally produce lots of humidity, so it's always cool.
4.Don't stress them, handle them gently.
5. Incase of next time, buy breeds from reputable hatcheries that are resilient to unfavourable weather.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 1:18pm On Apr 09
netmillionaires:

We don't experience heat here. It is very cool here. I have been here for three days and I don't experience heat except when I go outside in the sun. It is very cool inside so I will rule out the heat.

There is no overcrowding. This room is big enough to accommodate 70 to 100 births. The birds are just 20. So I will rule out overcrowding.

I observed that he is feeding them pellets which wasn't the case with the successful batch he reared last year. The pellets are too big for birds their size so I asked him to get new feeds or grind the pellets as it might get stuck in their throats.

Someone suggested looking out for gaspworms. I will recommend he breed the white ones which he was successful with last year.

I know one or two things about poultry like management, organizing, spacing, etc. My only issue is identifying illness and it's recommended treatment.

The white ones you're saying is broilers and mind you, noilers (the coloured ones that are dying now) are more disease resistant and harsh weather tolerant compared to broilers.
Gasping for air is actually heat stress. The weather is hot everywhere. I would suggest you place them on free range, yes, they can survive on eating insects and bugs with leaves..
Try giving them butter leaf, scent leaf, ginger and garlic solution. They will be fine.
Here's a link to the thread I opened for my backyard noiler and turkey farming, just to let you know I am speaking from experience

https://www.nairaland.com/7541132/backyard-farming-turkey-noiler-guinea

1 Like

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 6:02pm On Apr 09
Thanks. Well noted. He has tried the bolded as recommended by a lot of people around but they are still sick. I thought about going free range. I mean taking them outside but the weather is too hot outside but cool inside. Do you think the area in the picture is free range enough?
The inside is very cool. He gave them furacare antibiotic this evening.

Do you think the flooring might be a problem?

RainMoreDFARMS:
The white ones you're saying is broilers and mind you, noilers (the coloured ones that are dying now) are more disease resistant and harsh weather tolerant compared to broilers.
Gasping for air is actually heat stress. The weather is hot everywhere. I would suggest you place them on free range, yes, they can survive on eating insects and bugs with leaves..
Try giving them butter leaf, scent leaf, ginger and garlic solution. They will be fine.

Here's a link to the thread I opened for my backyard noiler and turkey farming, just to let you know I am speaking from experience

https://www.nairaland.com/7541132/backyard-farming-turkey-noiler-guinea

Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 7:02am On Apr 10
netmillionaires:
Thanks. Well noted. He has tried the bolded as recommended by a lot of people around but they are still sick. I thought about going free range. I mean taking them outside but the weather is too hot outside but cool inside. Do you think the area in the picture is free range enough?
The inside is very cool. He gave them furacare antibiotic this evening.

Do you think the flooring might be a problem?

the floor is not the issue.
Just try the free range and see, let them walk around, some might be interested in sunbathing,
Outside cannot be too hot for them.
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 12:52pm On Apr 10
Okay thanks

RainMoreDFARMS:
the floor is not the issue.
Just try the free range and see, let them walk around, some might be interested in sunbathing,
Outside cannot be too hot for them.
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by Akinola100: 9:55pm On Apr 10
netmillionaires:

I guess you have been able to address the issues happening with your birds. For gapeworms, try making use of ground harbanero pepper into their throats or into their drinking water
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by DonBenny77(m): 10:25pm On Apr 10
netmillionaires:
I am going to be as brief as possible. I just built a house for my old man around Atan Otta, Ogun state. The back is uncompleted.

Last year, he bought some white birds for consumption and none died so I decided to set up a poultry for him so he can keep himself busy as he doesn't like being idle. It was agreed that he should get about 20 birds to test the water before procuring another batch for December business. He got 10 white broiler birds and someone then helped him to source 10 brown births from another source.

Unfortunately, the brown birds started dying
after a week one after the other. It always starts with the bird gasping for air, then it starts to doze off and die. Today alone two have died. The last bird in the video seems dead this morning. I buried one but the second was still breathing. This evening, I went to check it and noticed that it was shaking its head and trying to get up.

If this one dies, it will be the third.

What can I do to protect the rest and prevent the birds from dying?
Spend money on feeders and drinkers.
So you don't lose all
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 7:52am On Apr 11
Not yet o. He lost one broiler yesterday.
I will try the habanero pepper. I hope that won't be too peppery.

Akinola100:

I guess you have been able to address the issues happening with your birds. For gapeworms, try making use of ground harbanero pepper into their throats or into their drinking water
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 7:54am On Apr 11
Noted with Thanks. I got some more drinkers and feeders for him yesterday.

DonBenny77:

Spend money on feeders and drinkers.
So you don't lose all
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by wittywriter: 10:45am On Apr 11
Biz management gone wrong but not too late.

Wittyness
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by Raymondson(m): 12:27pm On Apr 11
wittywriter:
Biz management gone wrong but not too late.

Wittyness

Don't do any business with this boy. He is a scammer
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by Akinola100: 4:54pm On Apr 11
netmillionaires:

Not yet o. He lost one broiler yesterday.
I will try the habanero pepper. I hope that won't be too peppery.

Pepper doesn't have spicy 🔥🥵🥵 effects on birds. The pepper will dislodge the Endoparasites and free them from those respiratory worms. You can use garlic and ginger extract too
Re: Help! My Poultry Birds Are Dying by netmillionaires(m): 7:53pm On Apr 11
Thanks

Akinola100:

Pepper doesn't have spicy 🔥🥵🥵 effects on birds. The pepper will dislodge the Endoparasites and free them from those respiratory worms. You can use garlic and ginger extract too

(1) (Reply)

Eggs For Sale This Season / Want To Buy Plantain Sucker / More Than 100 Tons Of Moringa Seed Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.