Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

20 Countries That Owe US Money - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 20 Countries That Owe US Money (39868 Views)

Five Countries That Have Referred Israel To ICC Over Gaza / See The Countries That Recognize Hamas As Terrorist Organization / Countries That Gained Independence In October Just Like Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Dittodat: 12:19pm On Apr 09
Our educated youths don't know the difference between OWE and OWN.

The US owes money to China and Japan. China and Japan do not owe the US money oh.
Make I use pidgin English - Na USA GO PAY CHINA AND JAPAN BACK THE MONEY WITH INTERESTS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by mightyhazel: 12:20pm On Apr 09
benuejosh:
Some people will not sleep well tonight because Nigeria's name is not there. May they continue to face disappointments and heart attack because of their evil wish for Nigeria.

Cc:
Obidients movement- Nairaland chapter.
Emergency lovers of Nigeria.
They are more Nigerian than you. You are just more hypocritical
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by ponziponzi(m): 12:20pm On Apr 09
victorVIC1:
I'm curious to know the countries that US is indebted to

This is the list. The article is misleading. These are countries that are holding US bonds. It’s an investment and they collect interests on these from the US.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by snofay(m): 12:21pm On Apr 09
God1000:

So china dey borrow to borrow Africa... What kind of economics is this
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-20-countries-owe-us-175515001.html
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by melodyogonna(m): 12:21pm On Apr 09
God1000:
Hmm, so china is owing US this much and not the other way round.

Well, this will finally address the debate and misconception
US is also owing China money. I don't understand how these things work, both countries owe each other money

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by nifemi01(m): 12:21pm On Apr 09
@op and Mod that moved this to frontpage, do you both understand the meaning of the words 'Debt held'?
English is disturbing op, every country listed own the purported amount listed as US treasury bond so he/she assumes they owe US money.
Those are country US is indebted to and not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Passionate888: 12:22pm On Apr 09
babsbolad:
Thank God say Nigeria no dey among.

Nigeria dey, these are the top 20
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Lexusgs430: 12:23pm On Apr 09
I am disappointed that Nigeria is not on that list .......😂

Debt is actually a good thing, but not the way Nigeria piles on debt to pay wages, eat and steal ........
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by BitterTruth01: 12:23pm On Apr 09
benuejosh:
Some people will not sleep well tonight because Nigeria's name is not there. May they continue to face disappointments and heart attack because of their evil wish for Nigeria.

Cc:
Obidients movement- Nairaland chapter.
Emergency lovers of Nigeria.

Most Buhari supporters are illiterates, if not you’ll know that the topic is wrong . USA is owing these countries not the other way round

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by ponziponzi(m): 12:24pm On Apr 09
Exousiang01:
Switzerland has no business being in debt
They are not owing money. They are actually the creditor.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Meti99(m): 12:26pm On Apr 09
China no get problems, just call all countries owing you money to pay with immediate effect so you can offset your debts with US..
Start with Nigeria abeg
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by benuejosh: 12:26pm On Apr 09
BitterTruth01:

Most Buhari supporters are illiterates, if not you’ll know that the topic is wrong . USA is owing these countries not the other way round
it is either you're an Obidient or emergency lover of Nigeria because what you say doesn't add up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by ovie8200: 12:26pm On Apr 09
oladele239:
Russia has too much ego and pride to be indebted to the U.S
I LOVE PUTIN!

CHINA should be ashamed of themselves, with all their competitions with US , THEY STILL OWE US... IF YOU WON FIGHT , FIGHT WITH PRIDE !!!!

I LOVE PUTIN ONCE MORE

My friend relax. Russia owe USA but not that much. it's only saying top 20 countries. That doesn't mean Nigeria is not owing USA either.

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Dittodat: 12:26pm On Apr 09
aremubabs:

I was confused too.

Because I listened to a US economist who was asked about the consequence of the United States owing China so much money.

The economist said it can be seen as China owning the United States economy.

Exactly - Whenever the US govt needs money they will sell what is called treasury bills. Treasury bills are papers that state if you loan us 100 dollars for 12 months, we will give you back $120 when it matures which means the agreed date (in 12 months)
And because people have strong faith in the US economy, they will always buy it as a haven for their money. It's a guaranteed investment because the US govt cannot default by not paying back.

China and Japan are the biggest buyers of these bills. The US is indebted to a lot of countries to the tune of 34 TRILLION DOLLARS

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Jokerman(m): 12:26pm On Apr 09
ovie8200:

Let those keep up generalizing that USA owe China trillions. Américan trillions debt is owe within América which are domestic debt. I meant USA government owe it citizens that money by borrowing from their social security and others. Those who always pray for China to take over the world, let see how that happen soon. Many people will die of heart attack or be disappointed with this news.

Let me be laughing, hahahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin >: cheesy cheesy wink cheesy.

😂
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by MT: 12:26pm On Apr 09
ovie8200:

Let those keep up generalizing that USA owe China trillions. Américan trillions debt is owe within América which are domestic debt. I meant USA government owe it citizens that money by borrowing from their social security and others. Those who always pray for China to take over the world, let see how that happen soon. Many people will die of heart attack or be disappointed with this news.

Let me be laughing, hahahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin >: cheesy cheesy wink cheesy.

Don't be ignorant please

What you put down up there shows you don't understand how it plays out.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by michaellovaldo(m): 12:27pm On Apr 09
Let's see China's list grin
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by SouthSouth1914: 12:27pm On Apr 09
backbone503:

The US has equally done alot of harm. No doubt they have underlining interests which have to be protected in all they do, but no country champions global peace like the US. Without America, religious extremism would have been a big plague. The world will never be safe in the hands of China and Russia.

The world started having problems when the US introduced DEMOCRACY and want to force it down the throat of others. 70% of the world problems are caused by the US and their allies!
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by michaellovaldo(m): 12:27pm On Apr 09
Let's see China's list grin
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by mcprince32(m): 12:27pm On Apr 09
I think it's should be 20 countries owing us oNigeria} and not US! 😄😄😄
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Procashtips(m): 12:28pm On Apr 09
What China is owing the US is not up to what the US is owing China.

The US is owing China $1.18 trillion.

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Fash20: 12:30pm On Apr 09
casualobserver:

It’s the other way round. This is a list of countries that the US owes money ( I.e countries that bought Us debt) not countries that owe the US.

@God1000, This is what happens when ignoramuses just do copy and paste articles from the internet and are unable to spot the errors in the articles because they themselves have no knowledge of the subject matter. It is the the US that owes these countries not the other way round.

You “own” a debt is different from “owe” a debt. It helps to understand English. The US owes the debt, these countries own the debt.

I was skeptical at first when I saw countries like Saudi and China. Those who are known to give loans. Thanks for the correction
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Omoawoke: 12:30pm On Apr 09
nifemi01:
@op and Mod that moved this to frontpage, do you both understand the meaning of the words 'Dept held'?
English is disturbing op, everyone one the coutry listed own the purported amount listed as US treasury bond so he/she assumes they owe US money.
Those are country US is indebted to and not the other way round.

The thing shock me
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Procashtips(m): 12:31pm On Apr 09
ovie8200:

You lied.

You need to read well. The US knows how to make themselves look good via their media and its most certainly difficult to find their diets on western media.

The US is in a $31+ trillion debt (internally and externally)
https://www.itsuptous.org/blog/who-does-us-owe-money-to

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Honestey: 12:32pm On Apr 09
HERE IS THE TRICK:

China borrow $800b plus dollars from US at a relatively cheap interest rate. Divides it into 3, use 2/3 for projects and lend 1/3 out to Nigeria and other poor African countries at exhorbitant interest rate which covers their own debt servicing of the entire $800b plus dollars to US .
In other words, this lending of money by those big countries is a means to;

A) Keep us in a state of modern slaves
B) Make the rich richer and the poor poorer
C) Control our leaders such that we no longer have complete Sovereignty (Reason why IMF keeps dishing out killer polices for our leaders to accept)
D) Gets easy access to our natural resources etc.

The worst thing is, you could borrow $1,b today and find the country needing to pay $13b within a decade. Alas! FG is about to receive another $1b plus loan soon.
See? We are in deep mess
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by kutashi: 12:32pm On Apr 09
Artscollection:
This op must be mad!!! Balance the sheet oga, USA is owing china a very huge amount.

He's not only mad but dumb, stupid, and brainless!

Didinrin doesn't read and comprehend!
He's a total disgrace to humanity and a nincompoop of highest order!

Those lists are whom US owed!
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by NAC1666: 12:32pm On Apr 09
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by nifemi01(m): 12:33pm On Apr 09
Dittodat:
Our educated youths don't know the difference between OWE and OWN.

The US owes money to China and Japan. China and Japan do not owe the US money oh.
Make I use pidgin English - Na USA GO PAY CHINA AND JAPAN BACK THE MONEY WITH INTERESTS.
Dont mind them, lazy Nigerian youths.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by udemzyudex(m): 12:35pm On Apr 09
Omo no be small money oooo
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by casualobserver: 12:36pm On Apr 09
Fash20:

I was skeptical at first when I saw countries like Saudi and China. Those who are known to give loans. Thanks for the correction

If the OP had stopped to engage his brain or had any knowledge of the subject matter, he would have realized that something was amiss because a country like the Cayman Islands with a paltry GDP of $6B cannot be owning the US $260b. At current interest rates, the interest alone is more than twice their entire GDP. America will never let a country with a GDP of $6B owe then $260B!

2 Likes

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by RodgersAkpafu: 12:38pm On Apr 09
backbone503:
Even China dey owe US. Hate it or love it, believe it or not, US still remains the greatest. The world without US would have been a very different and dangerous place. Look at China, look at Russia, then look at the US. In whose hands do you think on world is safer in?
Hmmm
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by kutashi: 12:38pm On Apr 09
OP is not only mad but dumb, stupid, and brainless!

Didinrin doesn't read and comprehend!
He's a total disgrace to humanity and a nincompoop of highest order.

And those MuMu moderators pushed this to front page. Only to ban for meaningless 'jab'!

I think the moderators are sleeping on duty.

God1000:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-20-countries-owe-us-175515001.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gambian Army Chief Rejoicing After Barrow's Inauguration (Photo, Video) / Ghana Protests Over Inflation / Russia Launches 80 Hypersonic Missiles Against Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.