Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

20 Countries That Owe US Money - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 20 Countries That Owe US Money (39918 Views)

Five Countries That Have Referred Israel To ICC Over Gaza / See The Countries That Recognize Hamas As Terrorist Organization / Countries That Gained Independence In October Just Like Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by DMerciful(m): 2:02pm On Apr 09
US is owing china more. The money is not loan but necessary for balance. You hold reserves of each other
God1000:
Hmm, so china is owing US this much and not the other way round.

Well, this will finally address the debate and misconception
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by OChimex: 2:03pm On Apr 09
MT:

US owes china staggering amount of money 859.4 billion dollars.

US owes other countries as well.

Total US debt is 34 Trillion Dollars.

US is the largest debtor in the world

Countries don't owe like individuals. If I owe you 100 naira for instance and you you are to.pay me 500 naira, you will end up paying me 400 naira because you would have deducted the 100 naira owes to you.

Countries don't operate that way.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080615/china-owns-us-debt-how-much.asp#:~:text=China%20is%20one%20of%20the,as%20the%20concept%20of%20money
Lol
English hard ooo. Your link just says what the OP posts. Check the amount op post wey China dey owe US and your link...

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by eeithis(m): 2:06pm On Apr 09
Artscollection:

If u balance am na us dey owe china
really grin
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Misterone: 2:09pm On Apr 09
CatchMeIfUCanMO:

Stop being ignorant Mr Man, reading more on this would have saved you from displaying your igno rance in the open.

Go and read how the two countries came up with their socalled debt and you will see that USA never collected any loan or got the debt due to a supply or whatever from China but rather it was more like a favor to them, they happened to be among those that have shares or investment where the money was taken.

That can't be said about China's debt to USA.
see this one o! So debt dey get name? Oga debt na debt. The US is owing china trillions of dollars, that is a fact. If dem do plus minus, who go pay each other?

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by eeithis(m): 2:11pm On Apr 09
federalgodey:
Why is Nigeria miraculously absent here!
because we are low level country
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by microgiant: 2:15pm On Apr 09
routed:

The Headline is misleading, they are holder of US debt. Meaning US owe them issuing Treasure Bill to these countries.

The person that post this doesn't understand what he read.

Why is everyone getting mislead?

It is for their supporters to feel good.

The problem with Nigerians is most don't read or research. They read headlines and start commenting. Alternatively they hear something and start parroting same. It is the reason why when you ask questions, their response is whether you know more than the MBA holder?
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by routed: 2:22pm On Apr 09
microgiant:

It is for their supporters to feel good.

The problem with Nigerians is most don't read or research. They read headlines and start commenting. Alternatively they hear something and start parroting same. It is the reason why when you ask questions, their response is whether you know more than the MBA holder?

I tire o, my brother.

Infact, headless mob are the bulk of Nairalander.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by 21NAUGHTYUTY(m): 2:23pm On Apr 09
I was expecting Nigeria to be there but bruh, Saudi Arabia with their money is owing USA?
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by RenaissanceGuy: 2:23pm On Apr 09
Seun, Nlfpmod, this thread is a misinformation. The amounts quoted here are actually what the US is owing these countries and not the other way around.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by microgiant: 2:24pm On Apr 09
21NAUGHTYUTY:
I was expecting Nigeria to be there but bruh, Saudi Arabia with their money is owing USA?

see one above .
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by sorepco(m): 2:24pm On Apr 09
Na lie. China no owe USA anything. Instead na USA owe China billions if not a trillion dollar

backbone503:
Even China dey owe US. Hate it or love it, believe it or not, US still remains the greatest. The world without US would have been a very different and dangerous place. Look at China, look at Russia, then look at the US. In whose hands do you think on world is safer in?
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by abobote: 2:27pm On Apr 09
Some ignorant people are saying that Nigeria is not owing USA.
Almost all the countries in the world are owing USA. The thread says 20 countries, probably 20 highest debtors, not all the countries that are owing USA
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by routed: 2:28pm On Apr 09
sorepco:
Na lie. China no owe USA anything. Instead na USA owe China billions if not a trillion dollar

The Headline is misleading, they are holder of US debt. Meaning US owe them issuing Treasure Bill to these countries.

The person that post this doesn't understand what he read.

Why is everyone getting mislead?
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by 3rdeyeNigeria: 2:29pm On Apr 09
God1000:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-20-countries-owe-us-175515001.html

This post was written by a 5 years.

China ranks as the second largest foreign holder of US debt. As of January, the country owed $859.4 billion to the US. The country served as the largest foreign creditor to the United States for more than a decade until 2019. Hence, China is one of the top 20 countries that owe money to the US.

China owns 859.4 of US Debt not owe.

The US pay china annual interest.

Simple google search will reveal this established fact.

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by ChenHao23: 2:30pm On Apr 09
How much?
Exousiang01:

US owes China and Germany huge debts also
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by GigdraftAdvert: 2:33pm On Apr 09
Deepthoughts:
Who is the US owing exactly?
Since the Internet accessibility in your area is restricted to just Nairaland, here is a few of the countries US is owing: Japan, China, United Kingdom, etc.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by victorVIC1(m): 2:34pm On Apr 09
ponziponzi:

This is the list. The article is misleading. These are countries that are holding US bonds. It’s an investment and they collect interests on these from the US.

I thought as much
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by GigdraftAdvert: 2:38pm On Apr 09
GigdraftAdvert:
Meanwhile, US debt recently surged to over $30 trillion, so maybe things aren't particularly falling apart for its loanee after all.

Please visit www.gigdraft.com to ease your academic and professional workloads.

OChimex:

That's the money the US govt owed in Social Security, etc. Not owing any country. Use your Google
The US doesn't owe any country? Well, it is not in my habit to engage in unproductive, trivial arguments, especially when my supposed counterpart referred me to Google when he couldn't even read past the snippet and research before tagging others "in the wrong".

I'll leave you with a more credible source, maybe that would cure you of your ignorance. However, if I observe your state of injudiciousness is severe, I'll rather not respond to further mentions from you.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets-economy/090616/5-countries-own-most-us-debt.asp

3 Likes

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by backbone503(m): 2:48pm On Apr 09
SouthSouth1914:

The world started having problems when the US introduced DEMOCRACY and want to force it down the throat of others. 70% of the world problems are caused by the US and their allies!

Do you rather prefer dictatorship or what you have in China and Russia?
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Bfly: 3:01pm On Apr 09
Yet USA is the most indebted country

USA is also owing Uk, china, and many other countries.

Debt don’t cancel debt.

Most of this international debts come in treasury bills
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by OChimex: 3:02pm On Apr 09
GigdraftAdvert:

The US doesn't owe any country? Well, it is not in my habit to engage in unproductive, trivial arguments, especially when my supposed counterpart referred me to Google when he couldn't even read past the snippet and research before tagging others "in the wrong".

I'll leave you with a more credible source, maybe that would cure you of your ignorance. However, if I observe your state of injudiciousness is severe, I'll rather not respond to further mentions from you.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets-economy/090616/5-countries-own-most-us-debt.asp

Don't make a mockery and a fool of yourself..
Read again. The US don't go to people and ask you to borrow them money, they sell securities like bond which these foreign countries buy...
Go back and read again the article you shared the link.
To these countries, it's an investment in the US economy and to the US, technically, you are owing them.
Simply put, this is just like Nigeria foreign Reserve. These countries are reserving their money with the US. 😆🤣
I live in the US, I know first hand information more than you do. I also have a degree in Economics.
You sound arrogant with ignorance.
US is smart, they are holding these country on their scrotum. That's why you won't see US real enemies on the list. The ones on the list, will be US puppets in secrete

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Oracleee: 3:04pm On Apr 09
Even uncle China grin
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by EDUECO(m): 3:05pm On Apr 09
The originator of this thread does not have adequate knowledge about debt(Treasury bills and Bond)!

The countries that were mentioned are creditors to the USA(the debtor).

The creditor countries make profits from the USA bond or treasury bills they bought.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by zoomman(m): 3:18pm On Apr 09
benuejosh:
Some people will not sleep well tonight because Nigeria's name is not there. May they continue to face disappointments and heart attack because of their evil wish for Nigeria.

Cc:
Obidients movement- Nairaland chapter.
Emergency lovers of Nigeria.

They said top 20.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by GigdraftAdvert: 3:27pm On Apr 09
GigdraftAdvert:
Meanwhile, US debt recently surged to over $30 trillion, so maybe things aren't particularly falling apart for its loanee after all.

Please visit www.gigdraft.com to ease your academic and professional workloads.

OChimex:

Don't make a mockery of yourself..
Read again. The US don't go to people and ask you to borrow them money, they sell securities like bond which these foreign countries buy...
Go back and read again the article you shared the link.
To these countries, it's an investment in the US economy and to the US, technically, you are owing them.
Simply put, this is just like Nigeria foreign Reserve.
I live in the US, I know first hand information more than you do.
You sound arrogant with ignorance.
US is smart enough not to go ask you for money, they give you something, you give them your money.
I am impressed by the rate you keep modifying your argument - from they're "not owing any country" to "exchange of bond". It is a valid evidence that the link I shared helped. I successfully educated you. Hurray......! You just don't wish to accept it, and it's fine.

Now, please read more. In no time, you too can eventually become sound. Most importantly, you can somehow subjugate the battle of comprehension that has constricted your grasp to the point you couldn't even tell what debt means as a so-called student of Economics nor discern the difference in "own" and "owe" and spot the fact that I didn't at any point claim the US ran to any country for aid.

Meanwhile, you might want to onboard your flight of fancy, get out of your room and see there are over 3 million Nigerians in the US, and the person you are speaking to might just be one.

Fortunately, I am not genuinely interested in the fallacy expressing you have more information than me, since you're the current US Secretary of the Treasury.

It's been pleasure engaging with you, sir/ma. Have a good one.

6 Likes

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by gloryman91: 3:30pm On Apr 09
But USA is the highest debtor to the World Bank I think so.

Despite owing such huge amount most of those countries have strong and healthy economy.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by BinamRex: 3:38pm On Apr 09
backbone503:
Even China dey owe US. Hate it or love it, believe it or not, US still remains the greatest. The world without US would have been a very different and dangerous place. Look at China, look at Russia, then look at the US. In whose hands do you think the world is safer in?

Despite its shortcomings, the world is safer with America as leader. I don't want any authoritarian country to displace America.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by dododawa1: 3:41pm On Apr 09
USA

Owering

NIGERIA.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by OChimex: 3:47pm On Apr 09
GigdraftAdvert:

I am impressed by the rate you keep modifying your argument - from they're "not owing any country" to "exchange of bond". It is a valid evidence that the link I shared helped. I successfully educated you. Hurray......! You just don't wish to accept it, and it's fine.

Now, please read more. In no time, you too can eventually become sound. Most importantly, you can somehow subjugate the battle of comprehension that has constricted your grasp to the point you couldn't even tell what debt means as a so-called student of Economics nor discern the difference in "own" and "owe" and spot the fact that I didn't at any point claim the US ran to any country for aid.

Meanwhile, you might want to onboard your flight of fancy, get out of your room and see there are over 3 million Nigerians in the US, and the person you are speaking to might just be one.

Fortunately, I am not genuinely interested in the fallacy expressing you have more information than me, since you're the current US Secretary of the Treasury.

It's been pleasure engaging with you, sir/ma. Have a good one.
You made no sense Mr
Those countries hold US securities. Not empty money borrowing like pay me back my money.
Learn and grow.
The context the OP posted was, borrow /aid.... so no need to bring the US case, it's different.
"You are also among the 3 million Nigerians living in the US"
Wow!,! I dint know you are also a comedian.

1 Like

Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by succri(m): 3:51pm On Apr 09
They just pull things out of nowhere , china oweing the US is the biggest of the comedy i saw , every americans know they owes china , btw i have known this for long that , it over a trillion $ .
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by DOM7: 3:52pm On Apr 09
Now this is who owns the world, not those short people that only know how to trick and bully Africa into debt and slavery.
Re: 20 Countries That Owe US Money by Benrosaria(m): 4:02pm On Apr 09
Fash20:
The US basically own these economies apart from China. The US is rich. How many countries can loan this kind of money out.

It is just printing machine and mercury

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Russia Launches 80 Hypersonic Missiles Against Ukraine / At Least 3 Dead In Snowy Pileup Of Dozens Of Vehicles In Pennsylvania, Usa(Pics) / Chile Elects 35-year-old Gabriel Boric As President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.