Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension (29068 Views)

Auto Makers Criticise FG As More Firms Shut Multi-Billion Naira Plants / Nigerians Criticise Garba Shehu For Addressing Jonathan As "President" / Nigerians Criticise Gov Wike Over ₦10 Million Gift To Burna Boy, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by adenigga(m): 4:22am On Apr 11
A cross-section of Nigerians, on Tuesday flayed the extension of a two-day holiday earlier declared by the federal government to three days.

While some Nigerians described the decision as “commendable”, many berated the government, saying embarking on holidays drags down productivity of a nation.

Daily Trust had reported that the federal government approved Thursday, April 11, 2024, as an additional public holiday to celebrate this year’s Eid -El-Fitr.

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Dr Aishetu Gogo Ndayako on Tuesday, said the decision was taken to allow Nigerians, especially Muslim faithful to enjoy their Sallah celebration.

He quoted the Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, as reiterating President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s firm commitment to providing a safe and prosperous Nigeria for all to thrive.

But reacting to the announcement via their social media handles, some Nigerians explained that frequent holidays in a country like Nigeria would impact negatively on its productivity.

The Anglophone Africa Coordinator at Centre for Investigative Journalism, London, Akintunde Babatunde, said, “Unpopular but three full days as holiday doesn’t make any sense.”

In the same vein, an award-winning journalist, Busari Kemi, in his comment said, “Even two doesn’t for a nation that needs to up her production level.”

Speaking to our correspondent in a telephone interview, a productivity expert, Ms Ijeoma Orji, described the extension as “shocking”.

She said, “Just last week, we observed one holiday for Easter. This week again, we are observing another 3 days. How will a nation move forward like this?

“In advanced countries where people are expected to pay their taxes regularly, they don’t go on holidays like this. I was very shocked when I heard about the extension.”

Source: https://dailytrust.com:/Nigerians-Flay-FG-Over-Public-Holidays-Extension

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by AAAA67: 4:44am On Apr 11
What of the Northern state that added Friday to it's holiday?

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by fnep2smooth(m): 5:07am On Apr 11
Full one week for owambe. Good for me bad for business owners

48 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Vinnie2000(m): 5:11am On Apr 11
What can you expect from this USELESS APC govt? sad😏

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by helinues: 5:14am On Apr 11
Toh
Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by tanigororo: 5:21am On Apr 11
I guess if this Holiday we are talking about is because it was declared for the Muslims that's why we have this useless thread.

In the wake of COVID 19, when we have total global lockdown can we deny the facts that the economy saw a massive boost. A good evidence was the government revenue which failed it's target by few billions despite large government waivers that year.

80 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by gerrardomendes(m): 6:05am On Apr 11
tanigororo:
I guess if this Holiday we are talking about is because it was declared for the Muslims that's why we have this useless thread.

In the wake of COVID 19, when we have total global lockdown can we deny the facts that the economy saw a massive boost. A good evidence was the government revenue which failed it's target by few billions despite large government waivers that year.

What's your point?

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by bigdammyj: 6:06am On Apr 11
Noted.
Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by omowolewa: 6:07am On Apr 11
Maybe we should start calling it "Paid Holiday" so all parties would know that cost is involved

Banks would not excuse the holiday to compute interest rates
Monthly paid workers would not excuse the holidays for salaries

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by israelmao(m): 6:12am On Apr 11
Our political leaders are on FOC of almost everything from the first day in office to the last day in office,they even loot more than enough money while they are leaving so that they can continue to maintain FOC status till they breathe their last breath so productivity means nothing to them.Monkeys are working baboons are eating.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by DLSReigns: 6:12am On Apr 11
We have placed pleasure over business. Misplaced priority!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by SAMBARRY: 6:12am On Apr 11
The holidays are too much and getting unnecessary.i mean it'll have been fun if the economy was ok but how do you enjoy the numerous public holidays when inflation and food prices are lipsrsealed

But then we're still grateful to God regardless

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Promax4321: 6:14am On Apr 11
What of those with compulsory Mondays holidays. They will be best critics because of president and his vice religious learnings

Politics of religion and ethnicity everywhere

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Chillext(m): 6:15am On Apr 11
gerrardomendes:

What's your point?
honestly I am confused

13 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by CrownOfClay724: 6:16am On Apr 11
Let Nigerians be paid per hour, and you will see if it's not the government that would be forcing people to go on these needless holidays.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by atobs4real(m): 6:17am On Apr 11
Thanks to Federal Government.
Some people no get joy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by atobs4real(m): 6:18am On Apr 11
Thanks to Federal Government.
Some people no get joy
I know those behind it.
The people that always say na emilokan

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Ogonimilitant(m): 6:18am On Apr 11
Federal government declared seat at home
And the blame ipob

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Kewtt: 6:21am On Apr 11
Very good from the Federal Government.

88 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by babaRUNtinz(m): 6:23am On Apr 11
Na overtime for us ó, I am not amongst Nigerians criticising FG o

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by joinpreneur(m): 6:25am On Apr 11
While holidays might not be bad sometimes, but the moment it's getting more than expected, that's a no no

If you're in Akure, I want to urge you to attend a program, Word & Prayer Conference on April 19th - 20th... @ Christ Possibility Church, Phase 1, Adedeji Estate, Akure, Ondo State.

Free food & Transport available.

Call/Whatsapp: 090-37-85-680-6 or 08-166-394-129
Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Adeneeyee84: 6:25am On Apr 11
Thanks to Federal Government for the holiday, if u know u are not okay with the holiday go and hug transformer.... In the Eastern Part here we even added our normal Mondays holiday it so na only Friday we are returning back to the office

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by phorget(m): 6:26am On Apr 11
AAAA67:
What of the Northern state that added Friday to it's holiday?

Reason why bambiala wont stop to exist among them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Alexanderobi: 6:26am On Apr 11
gerrardomendes:

What's your point?

Lolzzzz. I have tried both spiritual and physical means to understand the guy, yet no way. I will have to take this to my English gurus and professors.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by phorget(m): 6:27am On Apr 11
fnep2smooth:
Full one week for owambe. Good for me bad for business owners

As you no get work why e no go dey sweet you?🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by phorget(m): 6:28am On Apr 11
tanigororo:

Maybe 1month would have been so appropriate for the holiday.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by phorget(m): 6:31am On Apr 11
Promax4321:
What of those with compulsory Mondays holidays. They will be best critics because of president and his vice religious learnings

Politics of religion and ethnicity everywhere

3names was mentioned in the write up, 2 among those names that criticized the holiday were from the west while only one name is from the east...
Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by DenreleDave(m): 6:32am On Apr 11
Ogonimilitant:
Federal government declared seat at home
And the blame ipob

Dey play..

Ipb boy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by Ngasky(m): 6:35am On Apr 11
Religious intolerance. Check the names and tell me what is the common denominator.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Criticise FG Over Public Holiday Extension by AuwalYusuf812(m): 6:36am On Apr 11
Wetin we no go hear for 9ja embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

El-rufai Commissions Cars For Sanitation & Water Project (Photos) / Who Do You Think Would Contest Against Buhari In 2019? / El-Zakzaky And Wife Depart Abuja For India At 6pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.