Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) (28568 Views)

Best Varsity: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Top Spot / LAUTECH: Nigeria Best State University in Pictures / FUTA Final Year Students Sign Out In Style (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by CodeTemplar: 1:39pm On Apr 12
SoNature:

Those so-called billions explain why government schools charge us peanuts in tuition fees. Yes, university education is subsidized in Nigeria.

Again, the major source of revenue of universities is tuition fees, not subvention or endowments because they are inconsistent funding sources. Private universities charge as high as 300k per semester while some federal universities charge 50k in tuition fees.

Why Covenant University has established itself as a leading university in Nigeria is that it generates a lot of money from tuition fees and gets funding from the church and other GSI.

I maintain my position that private universities are supposed to be by far better than government universities in Nigeria because they are much richer.

You need a lot of money to run a university. Most of the world's leading universities don't charge less than 20 million per annum. For international students, you pay more than 50 million per annum.
what of govt intervention towards public schools?
TETFUND alone is in hundreds of billions. The money in public schools in my opinion dwarfs what private schools attracts or get from tuition.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by bmaster2000: 1:42pm On Apr 12
None of Ibo's private or public universities makes it to the 10 ..and they will come here and boast about their education acumen ...and WAEC result performances......pls., is it with the WaEC result that miracle centres plenty pass real centres...

Where mercenaries are used in most of the centres ...we are seeing the product all over ...it can be evidently seen.

8 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Niok: 1:44pm On Apr 12
My alma mater is 13 chai
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Nauttyprof(m): 1:45pm On Apr 12
jose556:
Once upon a time, OAU used to rank top... If I say I don't know what happened to it, I lie...

OAU loves noise. That noise killed the school.

5 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Johncuppa(m): 1:46pm On Apr 12
bolaayenimo:
Yinmu...covenant advance secondary school to UI the first and the best
You've not been around for a while.
Covenant university has been taken a lead and competing with federal universities since.

Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge are not advance secondary schools because they are private now.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Josephkabila12: 1:55pm On Apr 12
The Governing Council and The Senate headed by The VC of OAU needs to be changed. OAU is not performing well. OAU is a top school.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by OVB123: 1:57pm On Apr 12
StOla:
Their alumni are doing well.

At least I can vouch for their Engineering alumni.
I have see that of UI, UNIBEN but Convenant University, No.
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Biglittlelois(f): 1:59pm On Apr 12
SoNature:

Those so-called billions explain why government schools charge us peanuts in tuition fees. Yes, university education is subsidized in Nigeria.

Again, the major source of revenue of universities is tuition fees, not subvention or endowments because they are inconsistent funding sources. Private universities charge as high as 300k per semester while some federal universities charge 50k in tuition fees.

Why Covenant University has established itself as a leading university in Nigeria is that it generates a lot of money from tuition fees and gets funding from the church and other GSI.

I maintain my position that private universities are supposed to be by far better than government universities in Nigeria because they are much richer.

You need a lot of money to run a university. Most of the world's leading universities don't charge less than 20 million per annum. For international students, you pay more than 70 million per annum.

Again, private universities are not supposed to do better than public universities, the fact that it is subsidised is enough reason to be the best, what exactly is the billions allocated every year to public universities used for? TETFUND intervention allocation that is in billions given to public universities every year what is it used for? Asides that, the exorbitant extra fees collected from the management of universities what exactly is it used for? Instead of university workers to demand improvement from the management in every department, they prefer to go on strike for increment of salary with nothing to show for it academically, your lecturers won't come for lectures till its close to exams, they extort students through handouts and give trashy mandates that 1st class belong to them, no wonder most public universities are always in shock when they see a lot of 1st class graduates from private universities, yet these same lecturers will behave themselves and give the best when they take up jobs in private universities, private universities with all their fees cannot get billions of allocation in a year so what are you saying?

The reason why most world leading universities charge alot is because their fees are not subsidised by their government, they fund themselves and get money from donation etc. if you want lecturers of public universities of Nigeria to sit up and do right by their students with tenable results, the federal government has to stop subsidising public schools and let them fend for themselves, but then Nigerians will never ever allow that because they thrive in lawlessness yet want to get the best result.

4 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Tzar(m): 1:59pm On Apr 12
Over 50% of the best 20 universities are in the South West! Honestly, the South West just stands out! I am proud to be Yoruba any day any time! We are mostly noted for the best things Nigeria is known for!

7 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Olichoke: 2:02pm On Apr 12
I can't agree less that Covenant University is the best in the nation. The first day I came to the school environment, the organization, the seriousness and the structure convinced me that these guys are not in the business to play. I won't be Surprise if CU begins to emerge among top 5 in to the continent.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Johncuppa(m): 2:10pm On Apr 12
SoNature:

You need a lot of money to run a university. Most of the world's leading universities don't charge less than 20 million per annum. For international students, you pay more than 50 million per annum.
If your opinion is True then, Nigeria private universities should be leading as you said, but rather we called them advance secondary schools.

Bishop Oyedepo said when they wanted to start, he went with his team to study the leading universities around the world. And said, Covenant is the new generation Harvard University. Ever before they started o.

So it's not about any money kan kan. Covenant is just in her own class.
The founder knew what he founded and how he founded it. He talked about it going to be the best before now.

5 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by GUNITGuy: 2:10pm On Apr 12
What's going on in Great Ife...Obafemi Awolowo University....
That should be no. 1

4 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Dennisochampa: 2:11pm On Apr 12
Convent university wen poor man pikin no deh fit attend..... Tuehhh

1 Like

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by GUNITGuy: 2:12pm On Apr 12
Biglittlelois:

Again, private universities are not supposed to do better than public universities, the fact that it is subsidised is enough reason to be the best, what exactly is the billions allocated every year to public universities used for? TETFUND intervention allocation that is in billions given to public universities every year what is it used for? Asides that, the exorbitant extra fees collected from the management of universities what exactly is it used for? Instead of university workers to demand improvement from the management in every department, they prefer to go on strike for increment of salary with nothing to show for it academically, your lecturers won't come for lectures till its close to exams, they extort students through handouts and give trashy mandates that 1st class belong to them, no wonder most public universities are always in shock when they see a lot of 1st class graduates from private universities, yet these same lecturers will behave themselves and give the best when they take up jobs in private universities, private universities with all their fees cannot get billions of allocation in a year so what are you saying?

The reason why most world leading universities charge alot is because their fees are not subsidised by their government, they fund themselves and get money from donation etc. if you want lecturers of public universities of Nigeria to sit up and do right by their students with tenable results, the federal government has to stop subsidising public schools and let them fend for themselves, but then Nigerians will never ever allow that because they thrive in lawlessness yet want to get the best result.
Federal Government would soon Stop Subsidizing School especially this BAT government
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by UnfairLife7(m): 2:12pm On Apr 12
I
ignis:
Covenant University Tution Fee is about 50 Times UI Tution Fee... Why the comparison ?
it is not 50 times. UI now pays 200k+ as tuition fee

1 Like

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by UnfairLife7(m): 2:13pm On Apr 12
GUNITGuy:

Federal Government would soon Stop Subsidizing School especially this BAT government
you no dey naija? FG institution don increase tuition fee like water
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Amalekki: 2:14pm On Apr 12
In reality OAU folks have always been papering over cracks. More often than not, the bulk of the noise is always about the structure and architecture of the campus with ever dwindling focus on the real essence of the school. A university is not all about buildings. Several faculties were left at the mercy of half-baked lecturers with little effort to attract top talents as done in the early years in the 60s and 70s. In Ife, you would see a big name department with zero professor or just 1 professor supported by PhD students, not even PhD candidates or full PhDs; contributing to non-accreditation or loss of accreditation. The more adequate faculties that were meeting the desired marks were the likes of Agriculture, Arts, Humanities etc. The big name ones have been left struggling for decades.

Sentiments did not allow many involved to focus on crying out for help towards addressing these issues. Just like UI and UNILAG with their own struggles too, Ife has a huge alumni network. All was hidden under nostalgic screams of Great Ife when gathered together. Some wonderful efforts have been made over the years but certainly not enough. Ife shall be great again but a lot has to be done beyond loud slogan and an arguably embarrassing school anthem that hardly goes beyond mere entertainment. Ife must stop dancing to the gallery and start proper rebuilding.

Josephkabila12:
The Governing Council and The Senate headed by The VC of OAU needs to be changed. OAU is not performing well. OAU is a top school.

6 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by GUNITGuy: 2:16pm On Apr 12
UnfairLife7:
you no dey naija? FG institution don increase tuition fee like water
My brother I no dey
I just heard news about the Students loan stuff

1 Like

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by PHAYOL81: 2:18pm On Apr 12
That's impressive but I guess UNILAG should up their game. The great Akokaite should always be at the main front.

7 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by benardtotti(m): 2:19pm On Apr 12
MT:
I don't want to hear any "up school" bullshit.

Just tell us in a specific term how you have added value to the society in your own individual capacity.

Stop hiding under your school umbrella when you have no value of note to add to the society.

Of the greatest Uites ! 🙌 proudly a product of university of ibadan 2006 set !

4 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Morenikeji090(m): 2:21pm On Apr 12
Lol south west God bless us in everything…. South west just keep leading our Nigeria educational system every time. I’m proud to be son of Yoruba race ooo

3 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by UnfairLife7(m): 2:22pm On Apr 12
GUNITGuy:

My brother I no dey
I just heard news about the Students loan stuff
they've increase tuition fee up to 200-300k per session. That was what led to students loan having realized most students won't be able to afford the tuition fee

2 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by lordprogress: 2:23pm On Apr 12
I knew the list is quack when I saw nasarawa state university keffi there no way in hell.
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by SoNature(m): 2:23pm On Apr 12
Johncuppa:

If your opinion is True then, Nigeria private universities should be leading as you said, but rather we called them advance secondary schools.

Bishop Oyedepo said when they wanted to start, he went with his team to study the leading universities around the world. And said, Covenant is the new generation Harvard University. Ever before they started o.

So it's not about any money kan kan. Covenant is just in her own class.
The founder knew what he founded and how he founded it. He talked about it going to be the best before now.

What's tuition fees in Covenant University again? Bros, the day that school starts charging what federal universities in Nigeria charge, we will have this debate.

Until then, just know that you need money to run universities and CU is one of the most expensive universities in Nigeria.
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by UnfairLife7(m): 2:26pm On Apr 12
putin2:
Nonsense rating .there is a really manipulation, there is no good University in south west imagine rating Lagos State University higher than Nnamdi azikiwe University this is really bullshit .
One Yoruba man just stand down in his room and write this shit.
apart from UNN and FUTO all other eastern University na wash.

4 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Biglittlelois(f): 2:26pm On Apr 12
GUNITGuy:

Until then.....
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Biglittlelois(f): 2:28pm On Apr 12
SoNature:

What's tuition fees in Covenant University again? Bros, the day that school starts charging what federal universities in Nigeria charge, we will have this debate.

Until then, just know that you need money to run universities and CU is one of the most expensive universities in Nigeria.

This arguement is not it all and shouldn't even be used as a yardstick, who exactly will subsidise fees for private universities? You? The federal government? Tell us who?

And fyi, Covenant University is one of the least expensive private university in Nigeria pls update yourself, the most expensive private university in Nigeria is between Afe Babalola and Babcock.
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by oneman2k7: 2:30pm On Apr 12
Up school!!!!!!

Ladoke Akintola University

University of Lagos

Afe Babalola University

In that order, the school I have attended so far

4 Likes

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by israelmao(m): 2:31pm On Apr 12
CU is blazing the trail and setting the pace.

1 Like

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by iampeterben(m): 2:38pm On Apr 12
Glory to God
Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Heavensent01(m): 2:44pm On Apr 12
So Eksu is not in top 20? With how their lecturers will be acting like demigod

1 Like

Re: Covenant Beats UI, FUTA To Retain Nigeria’s Best University Spot (Full List) by Blessed4sure: 2:51pm On Apr 12
The Federal Government institutions can do much better, but a private institution coming tops is not necessarily a cause for shame.

Please browse the top five universities in the world. Most are private.

At least 8 of the top 10 universities in the USA are all privately owned.

Biglittlelois:

You should be ashamed that a private Christian university beats all other washed down federal Universities, a big shame to the federal government.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

University Of Jos Moves To Permanent Site After 44 Years / No TRCN Certificate, No Teaching Job – FG / Photo: CCTV Installed In Hostels At Redeemer's University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.