Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority (427 Views)

The Illusion Of Time By Okim Otu / Nigerian Students And The Illusion Of The Degree Doesn’t Matter / The Cgpa Syndrome And The Illusion Of Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by nearline(m): 5:32pm On Apr 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlqwp2xEuY

Please watch the video before commenting.

I very much agree with what the man said in the video. The only exception is in a case like Nigeria where our educational institutions are most times very obviously substandard. And the fact that we are not actively involved in any serious research and development. Besides that. Everything he said is on point. There are courses one can study in Nigeria and be on par with someone who studied the same in the US or Canada, for example.

What do you think?

cc: pansophist, sukkot, Gerrard59, Treadway, CaveAdullam
Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by Treadway: 7:58pm On Apr 12
This may be news to Usefulsense and a whole line-up of others on Nairaland, but not to me.

Even as a youngster, the typical tale we hear of Nigerian students that go abroad is that they dominate their peers o'er there 9 times out of ten. The typical tale is same Nigerian that got a 2:2 or even thirdie would get abroad and bag a distinctiion. The internet and our respective circles are replete with such cases. So this is not news to me. Same so called terrible education still raised same doctors and nurses that seamlessly integrate into these societies, and this has been so right from when I was a child till this day.

Just a few days ago a professor there got a well-deserved bashing online cos he unapologetically considers the word 'delve' as something that could only be derived from chatGPT!!

Sadly not everyone (esp those I see on Nairaland here) will ever 'psychologically decolonise' themselves as the speaker put it.

The west have some things going for them, working systems for the most part. We should pick and learn the things that work and discard the ones that dont.

But I have never and will never accede to the superiority of the west in any way shape or form. The things that I have achieved, the knowledge I have, the things I can do, half of their population cannot. For God's sake, I can walk in their shoes all day everyday, but can they walk in mine?? Your guess is as good as mine.

#selflove #selfvalue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by pansophist(m): 8:12pm On Apr 12
When I see some of these students with huge student loan debt with degrees such as gender studies, I shake my head. Even worse, when they open their mouth to talk, all you hear is a repetition of ideologies with no independent thoughts.

The point of education is to make you a thinking machine, not a repetitive machine. You can analyze things, and come up with conclusions that even if you are wrong, still follow a logical, observable pattern.

Education these days has been narrowed to university only, but universities in many cases are indoctrination. I was that student who always argued with teachers, and many didn't like me for that.

One time I asked my professor why African history in the recommended textbook started only in the 1500s during the reconnaissance period, and also why Europeans wrote African history, and not Africans themselves. Meanwhile, in the same book, European history went far back.

He just told me straight up that I should take my case to the school management, and that all he does is teach with the textbook recommended by the school.

Another time also, a young visiting professor was asking why Africa wasn't developed, and blamed it on the lack of opening up the local market for capitalism and globalization.

I asked him, who would reach the finish line first, Usain Bolt or a child? Comparing Europe with Africa in terms of development without taking historical and present situations into context is a wrong approach.

Africa suffers from slavery, colonialism, and now imperialism. Anyway I highlighted lots of issues plaguing the continent, and he was looking like a dundee.

Lots of other international students from Africa were also just looking like morons, they probably don't know or depended solely on university for knowledge. Universities brainwash people, and if it's not a route to japa, many courses and uni are not worth it.

The West enjoys prestige, and it comes with the advantage of easy acceptance of everything Western. But yes, the guy is correct. I have watched the video yesterday, it appears in my feed, but glad you posted it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by Treadway: 8:17pm On Apr 12
pansophist:
When I see some of these students with huge student loan debt with degrees such as gender studies, I shake my head. Even worse, when they open their mouth to talk, all you hear is a repetition of ideologies with no independent thoughts.

The point of education is to make you a thinking machine, not a repetitive machine. You can analyze things, and come up with conclusions that even if you are wrong, still follow a logical, observable pattern.

Education these days has been narrowed to university only, but universities in many cases are indoctrination. I was that student who always argued with teachers, and many didn't like me for that.

One time I asked my professor why African history in the recommended textbook started only in the 1500s during the reconnaissance period, and also why Europeans wrote African history, and not Africans themselves. Meanwhile, in the same book, European history went far back.

He just told me straight up that I should take my case to the school management, and that all he does is teach with the textbook recommended by the school.

Another time also, a young visiting professor was asking why Africa wasn't developed, and blamed it on the lack of opening up the local market for capitalism and globalization.

I asked him, who would reach the finish line first, Usain Bolt or a child? Comparing Europe with Africa in terms of development without taking historical and present situations into context is a wrong approach.

Africa suffers from slavery, colonialism, and now imperialism. Anyway I highlighted lots of issues plaguing the continent, and he was looking like a dundee.

Lots of other international students from Africa were also just looking like morons, they probably don't know or depended solely on university for knowledge. Universities brainwash people, and if it's not a route to japa, many courses and uni are not worth it.

The West enjoys prestige, and it comes with the advantage of easy acceptance of everything Western. But yes, the guy is correct. I have watched the video yesterday, it appears in my feed, but glad you posted it.

easy and willful acceptance of everything western.

The west aren't really even 'selling' anymore..others are willfully and freely doing the advocating and selling on their behalf. Many have been successfully subdued on a psychological level. E be things.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by kkins25(m): 8:24pm On Apr 12
To be honest with you guys, if I see the word delve in a certain manner in any content, I immediately scrutinize text for AI. Before u start dey yab me, ask me to clarify.
Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by pansophist(m): 8:29pm On Apr 12
kkins25:
To be honest with you guys, if I see the word delve in a certain manner in any content, I immediately scrutinize text for AI. Before u start dey yab me, ask me to clarify.

Oya clarify
Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by pansophist(m): 8:38pm On Apr 12
Treadway:
easy and willful acceptance of everything western.

The west aren't really even 'selling' anymore..others are willfully and freely doing the advocating and selling on their behalf. Many have been successfully subdued on a psychological level. E be things.

China has overtaken them. I would rather send my kids to go study in China than the US for example.

You don't want to send your son to school, then he comes back telling you how there are 100 genders lol.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by Gerrard59(m): 5:55am On Apr 13
kkins25:

You are a Ghanaian, so it is not an issue. Even for Paul, I can understand his surprise, but him deriding our answers why it is widely used by the average Nigerian was not fair. In his defence, I would say since one is looking for American investors, s/he has to write like Americans.

All the same, in a capitalist world, the likes of Paul would win outrightly. We either become wealthy like the Pauls of this world or keep mum.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by Gerrard59(m): 5:57am On Apr 13
pansophist:

China has overtaken them. I would rather send my kids to go study in China than the US for example.

You don't want to send your son to school, then he comes back telling you how there are 100 genders lol.

As Treadway said, the rest of the world bar China, only in the sciences, now accept anything Western as the numero-uno. For sciences, the West is still a good place a study, but should be careful in basic biology. But outside sciences, better to study in one's home country or use it as a japa route. Honestly, I am glad China is now an option for many people, especially for us from the Global South.

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by pansophist(m): 8:25am On Apr 13
Gerrard59:

As Treadway said, the rest of the world bar China, only in the sciences, now accept anything Western as the numero-uno. For sciences, the West is still a good place a study, but should be careful in basic biology. But outside sciences, better to study in one's home country or use it as a japa route. Honestly, I am glad China is now an option for many people, especially for us from the Global South.

China saved the global south. Now we have options. From loans to escape World Bank/IMF sharks, to development in terms of infrastructures, to educating our youths, a heavyweight in diplomacy (just look at their support for Palestine), non-interference (so no woke ideologies as a condition for their help), and so much more.

With a hundred euros, I can buy a good techno phone for my grandma to keep in touch with her, if not for China, communicating with loved ones would be so difficult. How many of us can buy Samsung phones? China gave the global south a voice, and the only civilization capable of burying western hegemony, and they are on it.

Most of what we use is imported from China, and they are still cheap even after all the importation fees, customs bribes, and profit for importers. In only a matter of time, before China enters into weapon production that will render Western junk useless.

That is western biggest fear. It gives them sleepless nights. Just imagine China turning to the US military-industrial complex useless due to a lack of customers. When you cannot compete fairly, throttling becomes your only option.

But you can only throttle an opponent that doesn't understand the nature of the enemy, this is why ignorance is dangerous. When you know your enemy and yourself, you can always predict accurately the result of every battle.

God bless China, it's a country I deeply respect with all sincerity.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by Treadway: 9:15am On Apr 13
pansophist:

China saved the global south. Now we have options. From loans to escape World Bank/IMF sharks, to development in terms of infrastructures, to educating our youths, a heavyweight in diplomacy (just look at their support for Palestine), non-interference (so no woke ideologies as a condition for their help), and so much more.

With a hundred euros, I can buy a good techno phone for my grandma to keep in touch with her, if not for China, communicating with loved ones would be so difficult. How many of us can buy Samsung phones? China gave the global south a voice, and the only civilization capable of burying western hegemony, and they are on it.

Most of what we use is imported from China, and they are still cheap even after all the importation fees, customs bribes, and profit for importers. In only a matter of time, before China enters into weapon production that will render Western junk useless.

That is western biggest fear. It gives them sleepless nights. Just imagine China turning to the US military-industrial complex useless due to a lack of customers. When you cannot compete fairly, throttling becomes your only option.

But you can only throttle an opponent that doesn't understand the nature of the enemy, this is why ignorance is dangerous. When you know your enemy and yourself, you can always predict accurately the result of every battle.

very very true. Well said.
Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by jesmond3945: 1:44pm On Apr 13
nearline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlqwp2xEuY

Please watch the video before commenting.

I very much agree with what the man said in the video. The only exception is in a case like Nigeria where our educational institutions are most times very obviously substandard. And the fact that we are not actively involved in any serious research and development. Besides that. Everything he said is on point. There are courses one can study in Nigeria and be on par with someone who studied the same in the US or Canada, for example.

What do you think?

cc: pansophist, sukkot, Gerrard59, Treadway, CaveAdullam
please what are the results that validates choosing african education. For asia i can accept but not africa or middle east.
Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by TemporaryHansel: 9:05pm On Apr 14
pansophist:

After saying all this, you still live in a western country. If you say only 20% of the things you say against the western countries you live in while in China, you would've been arrested and disappeared into thin air.
Re: The Illusion Of Western Educational Superiority by Johnwrite(m): 10:16pm On Apr 14
Perfect

(1) (Reply)

Jamb 2024 Result, Check If Yours Is Out / Uniosun Matriculation Ceremony To Hold On 20th November For 2012/2013 / Make A Difference, However How Little

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.