Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,084 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Pulling Down The Altars Of Idolatory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pulling Down The Altars Of Idolatory (68 Views)

Supposed Picture Of Popular Comedian Pulling Down Lady's Pants Stirs Controversy / Spiritual Altars. How To Raise One To God And Breaking Demonic Ones / Why Accuse Catholics Of Idolatory , When Non-catholics Are Doing This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pulling Down The Altars Of Idolatory by ToteJesus: 6:33pm On Apr 13
"The truth is not that humans deliberately make idols, it is that idols are automatically created in the human heart. Idolatry can be said to be natural to the fallen man, this is what John Calvin meant when he said the human heart is a pepertual idol factory" - Rev Matt Ryman.

Over the past few days, I have felt God's leading to write on idolatry. This morning, the Holy Spirit told me that the reason many prayers go unanswered is because of the idolatry of the heart. Ezekiel 14:3
How do you know if you are in idolatry or at risk for it? The way to answer this question is to prayerfully do a sincere, heart assessment. The following questions can help you access yourself and those close to you.

1. Am I willing to wait to get it?

Inpatience can be an indication of idolatry. Because of this, the Holy Spirit puts us in waiting season(s) to help us master the ability to overcome our legitimate heartfelt desires. You have to master contentment with God's timing concerning matters of your life. Anything you must get immediately, and at your own terms is likely an idol. Think of a man who INSIST he must engage in premarital sex. This is a man who has accepted pleasure an idol. If one journeys with this sort of person in marriage, one will suffer.

2. Do I do it compulsively or can't live without it?

Compulsion is an indication that a thing has been positioned in the heart as a god. Think of good things like movies, games, food, football viewing, alcohol and social media. They are not all bad, but can you live without them, even momentarily? The moment certain affections take priority over work, family, your mental health, devotional time with God, it is because they have become idols.

If you learn to pray in the Holy Ghost and fast occasionally, God will automatically regulate these things. For some affections he'd lessen your desire so you can live by choice. For some other affections, the Holy Spirit will cut them off completely ane replaces them with Godly affections. We are only permitted to be obsessed about the Lord our God.

3. Do I put my trust in it as source?

As humans we all have the natural abilities to put our strength and confidence in carnal things. Our career, ambition, money, connection and abilities can easily become the idol we live for. It is important to know that the source of your trust is the source of your pride and boastings.

God must always be your priority. Don't build God into your schedule, build your schedule into God. Remember that God can give us the grace to succeed effortlessly with things that demand the regrettable sacrifices of others. God can make you successful in your career and finances without you having to make the unfortunate tradeoffs others make.

And God will not share His glory with the idols of your heart. Make sure to always give glory to God, whatever you possess or accomplish. If for anything, God gave you life. And without life, you can accomplish nothing.
For that reason alone, all your accomplishment should be credited to his name and glory alone.

By

Ifelola Olaleye

(1) (Reply)

20 Prophetic Prayer For The New Week / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 18/04/2024 / When Jokes Become Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.