Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,673 members, 7,837,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Do You Love to Swim? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Do You Love to Swim? (6891 Views)

Poll: Can you swim?

Yes: 70% (44 votes)
No: 29% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Are Most Nigerians Able To Swim? / British Woman Dies Trying To Swim Across English Channel For Charity / What Do You Love Most About Viewing Centres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Love to Swim? by DoubleN(m): 11:28am On Oct 12, 2007
Love the idea of being able to swim.In fact i just started learning about 3 months ago and i plan to be a fish by the end of the year!
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by ibis: 9:54pm On Oct 12, 2007
i learnt to swim at 24 and its been sooo much fun since then.
got one of the coaches at shell club ph to teach me (a really skilled ijaw guy. they are really good as it is said their mammas throw them into the water once they are born grin)

i love swimming, i can do laps and can keep my head above surface the whole time. i can also float. ie i just lie on my back on top of the water without moving a limb and i just do not sink. i can fall asleep doing it. i think the secret is total relaxation and being at peace. i can also thread the water.

from my experience, u are never too old to learn!!!!!
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 11:27am On Oct 13, 2007
@Ibis

Are u a Guy or lady? I know ladies find it easier to float without any movements cos of thier less body density.

When u say thread d water do u mean like Bruse-Almighty did?
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by edosg(m): 2:23pm On Oct 13, 2007
i swim very well, happen to be my major past time, recuited all my colleagues in the office, to the fine art ot swimming.and enough places to swim in lagos.Actually have this buddy of mine , all we do is tour the pools in lagos.quite fun.and a nice way to make friends
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by TCUBE(m): 2:58pm On Oct 13, 2007
love watching people swim. Dont like showing off my skinny self, so i prefer not swiming
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by TrueTalk3: 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2007
@ edos g;

do u know any nice place on could swim in surulere??
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by oluite(f): 6:52pm On Oct 13, 2007
yea i can swim,i learnt wen i was young like 10.deepest-12 feets only in pools neva tried anytin else but i havent swam in a while.no nice hygienic pools around n swimming makes me dark too.i'm light skinned
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 7:13pm On Oct 13, 2007
@Oluite

Some Nigerian Pools have the habit of not changing the pool water when due.

Some just clear the pool of particles using a net and then deck it over-and-over with Chlorine to treat it.

Chlorine in the water makes you dehydrate faster than usual.  So excess Chlorine=Faster Dehydration.

Women Skin is thinner than men's. It contains more fatty tissue and would be affected if there's any fat solluble substances used to treat the water (thats for pools that buy CHEAP treating chemicals).

The Sun could also be responsible for your skin toning. If it tones your skin nicely & evenly it would make u look more beautiful grin
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by iice(f): 4:03am On Oct 14, 2007
Na wahhhhh. . .me on the other hand love tanning myself grin grin
No shallow water for me, i don't like shallow waters. . .the deep blue ocean calls to me grin grin
But am not picky, so long as its swim-able grin E don do me
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by LongOne1(m): 7:08pm On Oct 14, 2007
Hell Yeah, I LOVE SWIMMING in fact it's the next best thing i like next to F**king.
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 8:10pm On Oct 14, 2007
Hmmmnnnn!
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by kheme(m): 1:38pm On Oct 15, 2007
i can swim, still learning though. i learned in a space of about 10days. i can't swim deep, but i do dive (i mean, just take a deep dive and then swim back up). i can't swim far either, i get tired quite easily (still have no idea why). i also can't stay at the surface without swimming, for a while, i'll only last about 10seconds. lol. but i saw of video of myself swiming, it looked so cool, it felt like i've been swiming for YEARS! lol! tongue
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by qleyo(f): 2:24pm On Oct 15, 2007
@Ibis

Are u a Guy or lady? I know ladies find it easier to float without any movements because of their less body density.

When u say thread d water do u mean like Bruse-Almighty did?

Lol no, to tread water (not thread) is to float in water as though you were walking in it but at same time not really moving - you move your legs in a sort of riding bicycle motion. Heres a photo http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/academy/ClassActs/Class112/images/112PG062606g.jpg

I'm a decent swimmer, unfortunately I find a lot of Nigerians can't swim, I can do as much as 50m, can freestyle and breaststroke (the butterfly maybe in future) I can tread water but get tired after a few minutes, I need to practice some more. Most human beings can lay flat on their backs and not drown, its just natural and not that phenomenal as some people in this thread seem to imply. As long as you take deep breaths and breathe out slowly.
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by edosg(m): 5:32pm On Oct 15, 2007
no , dont know any pool in surulere, but i think for lots of fun, airport hotel still beats it, guess what? swam yesterday smiley
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 6:24pm On Oct 15, 2007
Sea water has higher density as compaired to in-land water cos of the High salt content.

Its much easier to float in Sea Agua

@gleyo
Nice Pics
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 6:31pm On Oct 15, 2007
@gleyo
The lower picture looks like u guys were standing on the head of a friendly Giant sea monster.

Looks like a more crude version of the head of
the Rock-man guy in [size=13pt]Fantastic4[/size]

Can't remember his name

3 of the Guys with u are actually standing at the entrance of its mouth. Kind of on its lower lip.

The monster is sure friendly not to have gulped them all up
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by oluyele(f): 10:15am On Oct 16, 2007
@Wham,
Naughty naughty no sugar for your GARRI this afternoon.!!!!smiley

Well they do look like they are standing on something hideous!!! but they r having fun i guess

Wham, sorry about yesterday. i didn't know what to say so i had to hang up

Can we start over sent you an offline, check it out

Cheers
Oluyele
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by Optimizer(m): 3:17pm On Oct 16, 2007
Swimming is the greatest form of exercise /pleasure there is, it exercises virtually every muscle in your body. I just love it! I started swimming at the age of 10. It started with a deep love for water in which I had to overcome my personal fear, and all the rest followed from there.

For those wishing to learn to swim, you need to get yourself at peace with the water. Learn to relax when in water and try to stay balance as you afloat. The next step will be trying to move forward. The more natural and relaxed you make the process, the easier and faster it becomes.

However ensure that you learn in a pool, to prevent drowning. However if you like taking risks and feel you're up to it, be like me and learn from somewhere natural. (I didnt say beach OOooo . . . shocked shocked shocked)

Cheers cool
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by barikisu(f): 3:54pm On Oct 16, 2007
I'm scared to death of swimming, I cant even go a step near waves at the beach
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 6:59pm On Oct 16, 2007
@birikisu

At least u are not saying u have a phobia for water. U can start from the shallow part of a pool with about 2 friends (swimmers) around 4 support.

U can overcome ur fears if u want to.

U can bcom a swimmer if u set ur mind to it.

But as many have said, one of the keys to swimming is to BE AT PEACE WITH THE WATER

Take long calm breaths to help u relax
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by Tawak: 11:32am On Oct 17, 2007
swim ke,dats toiling with death
i v phobia 4 water but i take ma bath o b4 dey tag mi on nairaland
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by uspry1(f): 11:53pm On Oct 17, 2007
I love swimming. I learned to swim at my day camp at age 9. I can swim anywhere in the swimming pool on the top or underneath. I can swim backstroke. I can afloat myself relaxing.

Only i overcome the deep swimming pool where i dive into. Ocean no way---too many stingy jellyfishes everywhere on the Altantic Ocean (USA, east coast)! river is okay! prefer swimming pool.
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by cutemoses(m): 1:37am On Oct 18, 2007
i love swimming , very very much. the only move i'm still trying to perfect is the back stroke.

Re: Do You Love to Swim? by dada22(m): 9:33am On Oct 18, 2007
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn swimming is me!!

giv mi any river anyday,i'll level it.But not OCEAN O!

i tried lekki beach (shores though),& wuz uncomfortable(excessive waves), but river,hmmm don't try me o!

I registered wit a swimmin outfit in lekki & met da instructor,he's good but when we tried ourselves in terms of speed, he couldn't beliv what he got(he wuz behind off course)

I swam as a kid,(back in da village) we'll compete during raining season when da rivers r overflowin its banks.

I ve not drowned b4,i also know da power of water regardless of ones experience.

I prefer da deepest side of any pool & always love 2 know it's depth wit ma feet.

i guess i didn't learn how 2 stay for very long tyme under-water(ma bad), but if u want to see gud swimming check me out, yeah i've got ma bragging right in that sector  wink wink wink
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2007
@dada22

So u are trying to say u are the Don-DADA of swimming ehn!

Thats cool sha. Are u a South-south boy? Or are u from a riverine area?

Whats ur advice for the newbies in the swimming business?

[size=14pt]Anybody with some helpful advice?[/size]

I notice a lot of people dive wrongly into the pool
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by Optimizer(m): 9:25pm On Oct 18, 2007
barikisu:

I'm scared to death of swimming, I can't even go a step near waves at the beach
Tawak:

swim ke,that is toiling with death
i v phobia 4 water but i take ma bath o before dey tag mi on nairaland
wham:

@dada22
So u are trying to say u are the Don-DADA of swimming ehn!

Whats your advice for the newbies in the swimming business?

[size=14pt]Anybody with some helpful advice?[/size]

I notice a lot of people dive wrongly into the pool

I noticed a lot of us associate swimming with thoughts of toying with death, it shouldn't be so. With careful preparation and all necessary precautions taken, swimming becomes fun rather than fear. Well if I couldn't swim myself, maybe I'd think likewise.

However, what it takes is a mind set on learning the art, with plenty of time reservation and one or two skilled swimmers at your side to give instructions and rescue if necessary.

Like Dada22 rightly pointed out you need to understand that no matter your skill level, never be extremely over-confident in water. Since swimming comes naturally once learned, good swimmers usually get carried away with the joy, fun and excitement of swimming. However you must always remember that unlike the land where you can easily relax aching muscles by sitting, the water has no such resting place, especially where natural water bodies are concerned. Always get out before you're too tired to move a limb

Well for diving, learn to do it the right way. Because doing it from a great height the wrong way could be disastrous. You definitely don't want to experience it, believe me. A perfect dive should be as straight or streamlined as possible, not having your belly impact the surface of the water. Your hands should go in first and your body follow in a straight line. If you feel the impact of the water on your belly it's an indication that you executed the dive wrongly

wow  shocked  shocked shocked !!! I guess I must stop now else  .  .  .

To those of you in the process of learning I wish you all the best. Perhaps one day we just might meet at a poolside.

Cheers  cool
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 9:50pm On Oct 18, 2007
@Optimizer

That was exactly what I was expecting about diving. A lot of pple get it so wrong when trying to dive. thanks for that direct and concise advice.

Please hit the post with more.

There are a lot of pple that need to learn and would need this kind of outlines u gave
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by Optimizer(m): 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2007
@wham

thanks for the comments man, just trying to fill in my quota in the swimming arts. I guess as more people post comments, we'll be able to share more on swimming and our various experiences. I have quiet a few funny ones myself. grin grin
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by wham(m): 8:42pm On Oct 21, 2007
Where are the neatest, sweetest pools in Lagos?

Anybody?
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by oluyele(f): 1:05pm On Oct 22, 2007
@ WHAM

SORRY I CANNOT HELP YOU THERE BUT WHEN YOU DO FIND, PLZ LET ME KNOW, I NEED TO REFRESH MY SKILLS AND MY MUSCLES WITH THE WATER. ITS BEEN TOO LONG!!!

CHEERS
OLUYELE
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by Optimizer(m): 10:52am On Oct 23, 2007
well, I sure would like to know where the best pools are located in lagos. For me the pool should not only be very neat and well cared for, but it should be quite large.

It seems to me that the larger pools get less than their fair share of cleaning/ fresh water change. While the smaller pools, well just seem to be like child's play when swimming in them. Infact I got injured once while swimming underwater with my eyes shut. I hit my head on the pool wall before realising that I had gone across it.

However I "guess" small is better than none, and definitely better than "untended/ dirty". so if you know any good & large pool that's been hidden from our view please speak up. wink

Cheers  grin grin
Re: Do You Love to Swim? by almondjoy(f): 9:32pm On Oct 23, 2007
No!  Messes up ma hair! angry Prefer Yoga instead.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NFF To Pay Keshi's Outstanding Salary / . / Peruvian Fans Goes Topless And Shows Boobs In A Worldcup Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.