Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government (21858 Views)

Former NBA Chairman, Olumide Akpata Joins Labour Party (Pix) / FG Blames State Governments For Rising Poverty / Olumide Akpata & Osayamon Ogbebor Pre-Wedding Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:00am On Apr 14
The candidate of Labour Party for the September 21st Edo State governorship election, Mr. Olumide Akpata, yesterday, accused an unnamed senior government official of the Edo State Government as the mastermind of his attack late Friday afternoon at the University of Benin.

The Labour Party governorship candidate was a guest at an interactive session organized by the University’s Senior Staff Club which event was violently interrupted, resulting in pandemonium within the school premises.

Olumide in a viral video released yesterday, said a senior lecturer, who sustained injury as a result of the attack is currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital in Benin.

He debunked allegations that his security personnel shot a student of the University, describing the claim as “another lie from the pit of hell.”

He said at the appropriate time a detailed report of the incident and those involved would be made known to the police for appropriate action.

His words: “My staff drew my attention to a video that is making the rounds currently of an individual who claimed to be shot at an event I attended yesterday and claimed to have been shot by security agents. I looked at the video and nothing can be further than the truth. I only wished that the individual could show his face and determine the veracity of his story.

I was invited to the University of Benin senior staff club to hold an interactive session with members of the club. I’m told that a similar event took place a couple of weeks ago by the PDP candidate. To our surprise and consternation, this event was interrupted very rudely by some hoodlums who claimed to be students of University of Benin.

“They disrupted the event, insisting that it shouldn’t be held without informing them, you can imagine how shocked we were, including the professors there. They barricaded the gate with their vehicles, there was fracas in the precinct of the club, a lecturer was injured and he is at the hospital. I had to be taken away by security personnel and even as we attempted to leave Uniben the highway was barricaded. It took my security personnel to remove the barricade before we continued our journey.

We know what is going on. It is election season and it is quite obvious some of our old and very tired politicians are up to their usual antics and they have learnt nothing. I have it on good authority that those hoodlums were deployed by a senior official of the Edo State Government and I’m speaking directly to this official now. I know you and you know me.

“I want to place it on record that at no time was the student of the University of Benin shot. The video was sent to bring misinformation, I was the one who was attacked and professors were attacked.”

Meanwhile, the Management of the University of Benin in a statement signed by its Public Relations Officer, Dr. Benedicta Ehanire, has condemned the reported violence.

“The Management of the University of Benin has condemned in strong terms reported violence during the visit of the Edo State Labour Party’s gubernatorial candidate, Mr Olumide Akpata, on invitation by the Senior Staff Club of the Institution.

“The violent incident, allegedly perpetrated by some students, is unacceptable. Consequently, Management has set up a Committee to investigate the immediate and remote causes of the violent action.

“The Committee, headed by Professor Frederick Ekhaise, has one week to submit a report to Management,” the statement said.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://sunnewsonline.com/edo-guber-lp-candidate-akpata-attacked-at-uniben-accuses-senior-govt-official-as-mastermind/%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjcqs-vncGFAxW7X0EAHYg7BVMQFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0oXOJLyYkjvuQQWcngSl4q

8 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:01am On Apr 14
Penguin2,you see how desperate and bad obaseki is? Two days ago, oshiomhole campaign trail was attacked in etsako.it is obvious obaseki has sensed defeat and is panicking

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by Naira20: 9:08am On Apr 14
I won't be surprised APC is behind this.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by sleek214(m): 9:09am On Apr 14
garfield1:
Penguin2,you see how desperate and bad obaseki is? Two days ago, oshiomhole campaign trail was attacked in etsako.it is obvious obaseki has sensed defeat and is panicking
Na you wan defeat obaseki? The election is between APC and PDP. LP will come a distant 3rd. LP candidate is not popular and his tribe is a minority in Edo State

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:09am On Apr 14
sleek214:

Na you wan defeat obaseki?

He has lost out.but why are people even supporting that man

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:10am On Apr 14
Naira20:

Did you read to find out what Akpata said or you just feel like vomitting thrash

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by madridguy(m): 9:19am On Apr 14
Nothing must happen to the Edo State incoming governor.
Olumide Akpata, God is with you.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by saddler: 9:19am On Apr 14
undecided
Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by Naira20: 9:20am On Apr 14
Instead of showing stupidity publicly, learn to know the meaning of "I won't be surprised..."

If you're a thinker, you'll understand
1.that's my personal opinion
2.I don't agree with Akpata's opinion (which I'm not obligated to agree with)

garfield1:

Did you read to find out what Akpata said or you just feel like vomitting thrash

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by maxiuc(m): 9:20am On Apr 14
grin

Na inec I dey blame for all this thuggery during election

How I wish the electoral system would be very secured

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by madridguy(m): 9:20am On Apr 14
APC no get time for things like this.

Naira20:

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by edogu(m): 9:21am On Apr 14
He should tread carefully. Election for Edo no be for gentleman.

4 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by MorolayoVictor(m): 9:21am On Apr 14
WHO IS HE A THREAT TO?

4 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by fuckJones(f): 9:21am On Apr 14
it's true, Edo no be Lagos.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by silverlinen(m): 9:21am On Apr 14
Damnnn

Politics isn't for the chicken hearted

1 Like

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by bmaster2000: 9:22am On Apr 14
Some people will still come and blame Tinubu and Yoruba people for this attack ...

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by Naira20: 9:23am On Apr 14
Story..Tony Kabaka and MC Oluomo are now working for SDP
madridguy:
APC no get time for things like this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by inoki247: 9:24am On Apr 14
Lol na Family matter....

2 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by Penguin2: 9:25am On Apr 14
garfield1:
I don’t even know how to react yet until I get clearer picture of what happened.

But I spoke with a man from Edo who told me none of the 3 candidates is a pushover.

Akpata might not be as weak a candidate as we think. I think the Oba of Benin is behind him.

3 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by AbuTwins: 9:26am On Apr 14
Who won Edo governorship election?

Why hasn't any Pastor seen vision?

4 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by Jorussia(m): 9:26am On Apr 14
Naira20:
why is difficult for u guys to condemn anything wrong irrespective of who is behind it?Is APC Edo satate govt?

13 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:27am On Apr 14
Naira20:
Instead of showing stupidity publicly, learn to know the meaning of "I won't be surprised..."

If you're a thinker, you'll understand
1.that's my personal opinion
2.I don't agree with Akpata's opinion (which I'm not obligated to agree with)

Lol,we know who is actually displaying foolishness in public glare.after reading what Akpata said clearly,you still blurted out nonsense.clap for yourself.do you know the facts of the matter more than the victim? It is better to remain silence than to talk balderdash

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by Jorussia(m): 9:27am On Apr 14
Naira20:
The man said Edo state govt,is APC Edo govt?

9 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:28am On Apr 14
maxiuc:
grin

Na inec I dey blame for all this thuggery during election

How I wish the electoral system would be very secured

What do you want them to do? Are they the security agents? Why not blame candidates

5 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:29am On Apr 14
Naira20:

Oga,APC has nothing to gain from attacking akpata but pdp.akpata is even helping APC defeat pdp.you dey try reason na

15 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by RichDad1(m): 9:30am On Apr 14
This Edo election has really exposed the hypocrisy in LP and their mob movement - the Obidents.
During previous elections, it was LP from top to bottom. But not in Edo state they remembers EMILOKAN should be applicable. The same ideology their seems to loath few months ago 😂
Since the emergence of Akpata, they’ve tactically withdrew their support for him and pitch their tents with the PDP candidate. Even their oga, Peter Obi has not been showing the needed political support to his party candidate in Edo state.
The day is still young anyways, and so many off circle elections are still coming before the next general, Una go learn. 😎

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by CalabarPikin: 9:32am On Apr 14
Them still dey play this ancient politics for this era..??🙄🙄

1 Like

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:33am On Apr 14
Penguin2:

I don’t even know how to react yet until I get clearer picture of what happened.

But I spoke with a man from Edo who told me none of the 3 candidates is a pushover.

Akpata might not be as weak a candidate as we think. I think the Oba of Benin is behind him.

You are here.akpata is not weak,he has been a national figure even before the APC and pdp candidates.yes,I won't be surprised to know oba is behind them since his relatives are close to him.
Ighodalo clearly said he will decide what to do with the Benin artifacts instead of returning it to the palace same mistake obaseki did.he also said he will support the creation of a parallel traditional rulers council.theres no way the oba and the palace will support him.again,a lot of bini people are very traditional and will not support obaseki candidate for this.like i told you,pdp is making it easier for APC

3 Likes

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:34am On Apr 14
CalabarPikin:
Them still dey play this ancient politics for this era..??🙄🙄

The Benin empire is ancient and well respected just like calabar

1 Like

Re: Olumide Akpata Attacked In UNIBEN, Blames State Government by garfield1: 9:36am On Apr 14
Jorussia:
The man said Edo state govt,is APC Edo govt?

Sen urhoghide has joined APC

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Biography Of Chief Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu / June 12: MKO Abiola Speaking Against Corruption 25 Years Ago, Nigerians React / PDP Lawyer Speaks After The Presidential Election Tribunal Sitting In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.