Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. (1876 Views)

Judas Who Betrayed His Master Poster Traced To Tinubu Supporters: Osinbajo Group / The 50 Sins Of Edo State Governor Godwin 'agho' Obaseki. / General Gowon Sitting And Eating On The Floor In Benin In 1967 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by Melagros(m): 2:20pm On Apr 15
COMRADES grin
Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by Penguin2: 8:07pm On Apr 15
airsaylongcome:

Your own interpretation of reported facts doesn't make your interpretation a reality. Obaseki did not betray the Ọba. If he did, he would have been outcast and banished from Bini Kingdom. If you don't know how Bini traditions work, keep silent. Have a good day.
Because I have chosen to educate you, I will do it to the end.

Agho Obaseki was not banished because Oba Ovonramwen who would have banished him was instead banished to Calabar by the British.

While Oba Ovonramwen was away, Obaseki became the Leader of Benin Kingdom by the design of the British of course.

And when Oba Ovonramwen eventually died and the British, possibly learning that they can’t make Obaseki king without pushbacks by custodians of Benin traditions, they decided to make Oba Ovonramwen’s son king and made Obaseki the Prime Minister and by so doing, the British placed king Eweka 11 below Obaseki. They designed it in a way that the Oba would now have to take instructions from Obaseki. Things remained that way until Obaseki died in 1920.

Now, how was the Oba supposed to banish someone he takes instructions from; someone above him?
Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by YorubaDemonswag: 9:21pm On Apr 15
aswani:

Send me a link to her foolishness so me too can abuse and insult her. She is just one idiot amongst lots of Benin people that are respectful to Yoruba Oba's, worth beaoin mind please.

Ba mi fi ọwọ wọ nu, jọ̀wọ́!
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMCmksdq/

Here is the yea asked for, we present day Yoruba won't take any insult from anybody, not even from some edo clown
Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by aswani(m): 9:36pm On Apr 15
YorubaDemonswag:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMCmksdq/

Here is the yea asked for, we present day Yoruba won't take any insult from anybody, not even from some edo clown

I don't have a Tiktok account, shame.

Please try and accept that the idiot is just as you aptly described, an Ẹdo clown.

She was most likely spurred on by Obidients to be even more fooolish in life than necessary, all of which has thankfully died down now in Benin City seeing as the jazz certain people used on them has worn out.

Má binu ọmọ iya mi. Let's just accept every village has an idiot.
Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by YorubaDemonswag: 10:44pm On Apr 15
aswani:

I don't have a Tiktok account, shame.

Please try and accept that the idiot is just as you aptly described, an Ẹdo clown.

She was most likely spurred on by Obidients to be even more fooolish in life than necessary, all of which has thankfully died down now in Benin City seeing as the jazz certain people used on them has worn out.

Má binu ọmọ iya mi. Let's just accept every village has an idiot.

I will accept it and tone down down my outburst, Thanks so much for your concern. One love

1 Like

Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by KingPure(m): 2:34pm On Apr 16
In my humble opinion, I really want to believe that you're purely micro-managing the whole truth concerning this matter. I'm not a Bini man and neither am I from Edo State.

As a matter of fact, I find it difficult to understand the rationale behind two (2) successive Ọba giving out their daughters to a so-called "traitor" if truly they see him in the light, according to you and your sources.

Again, I can not just understand how and why the Ọba of Benin keep showering titles on the seeds of a certain traitor. I'll really want to understand why His Majesty, according to your brief, would grant one Obaseki, an Exams of Benin, but later frown at another Obaseki vying to become a governor.

Clearly, the logic of your source is far beyond me.

Penguin2:

If Wikipedia is a historical revisionist site, then point to the site with a more authentic history.

I had to post from a Wikipedia source because that’s the only one I could produce its link so it doesn’t seem like fake news. Aside from Wikipedia, the story of Obaseki’s action and the exile of Oba Ovonramwen is many other history books. So, your claim to historical revisionism is fallacious.

About Godwin Obaseki becoming governor….

An insider whom I was having a conversation with recently, said that when Oshiomole presented Obaseki to the Oba Ewuare as his anointed candidate to succeed him, the Oba raised some concerns about Obaseki because of the history of his family but Oshiomole allayed the Oba’s fears and assured him Obaseki was trustworthy. But I think events since Obaseki became governor has shown that Oshiomole was wrong.

It is claimed that Oba Ovonramwen cursed the Obaseki family and Godwin seems to have lived up to that curse by being a serial betrayer.

Oshiomole trusted him but he betrayed him.

Wike trusted him and helped give him the PDP ticket but he betrayed Wike.

Shuaibu trusted him and joined him to fight Obaseki but he ended up betraying Obaseki and impeaching him.

Even the Oba that gave his blessings for him to succeed Oshiomole, he betrayed him and has been dragging the returned Benin Artifacts with the Oba which has led to litigations.

Are these series of betrayals not too many to be just mere coincidences?

Why always Obaseki?
Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by Christistruth00: 4:12pm On Apr 16
FreeStuffsNG:
It's likely another history revisionism.

Wikipedia is not credible, it is not even accepted as a reference and with the previous failed attempt to revise the history of the Yoruba who produced the present day Benin royalty and Yoruba Awori's prime place as the original and authentic owners of Isale Eko, Lagos, many people will doubt any account of 'history' from same place wink

That a descendant of same Obaseki could even be a Governor today shows that the family has not lost its place of significance in Benin or suffered from any wrong proclamation against him and his descendants.

FreestuffsNG your last sentence is massively underrated because even lying Propaganda can never defeat God's own Truth and Justice

1 Like

Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by Penguin2: 12:26am On Apr 17
KingPure:
In my humble opinion, I really want to believe that you're purely micro-managing the whole truth concerning this matter. I'm not a Bini man and neither am I from Edo State.

As a matter of fact, I find it difficult to understand the rationale behind two (2) successive Ọba giving out their daughters to a so-called "traitor" if truly they see him in the light, according to you and your sources.

Again, I can not just understand how and why the Ọba of Benin keep showering titles on the seeds of a certain traitor. I'll really want to understand why His Majesty, according to your brief, would grant one Obaseki, an Exams of Benin, but later frown at another Obaseki vying to become a governor.

Clearly, the logic of your source is far beyond me.

First, Oba Ovonramwen, the one he eventually betrayed, gave him his daughter in marriage when they still had good relationship and Obaseki controlled trading on behalf of the kingdom and was doing well and bringing good returns to the king. So, in appreciation, the king gave one his daughters to him in marriage.

Now, later on when Oba Ovonramwen’s son, Oba Eweka 11, became king, Oba Eweka gave his daughter to him as an apology for a supposed wrong done to Obaseki.

Read deep and in detail to have a complete grasp of how things happened before coming up with your doubts.
Re: Agho Obaseki: Gov. Obaseki’s Ancestor Who Betrayed The Oba Of Benin In 1897. by olisaEze(m): 12:45am On Apr 17
History and politics though intertwined are never on the same page. Benin city is sited on the old capital of a great empire, not kingdom. Did you expect the palace politics against a favorite that wasn’t born a noble to be easy & straight forward?? Research on why Oba Ovonramwen was deposed by the British again. No king after the fact will intentionally mingle a traitor’s legacy with royal blood. cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Gen. Ibrahim B. Babangida A Sacred Cow? / Mike Okiro Battles Robbers, Kills 2 / Iloba Family Must Stay In The Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.