Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West (1732 Views)

The Moment Soldiers Were Ambushed By Bandits In The North West. (Video) / Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South / Top 7 Largest Ethnicities In The North Central (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Svoboda(m): 9:21am On Apr 17
Alba3:
The worst I've read on Nairaland. Fulanis are indigenes of Nigeria but Oku/Aku are not indigenes of Sierra Leone and the Gambia? You meant Krio/Creole are not also indigenes of Sierra Leone? Please, tell us their country.

Pls, endeavor to grasp the context of the discourse.

I said the Oku "were" and not "are" indigenous in sl.

The oku were yoruba former slave returnees that settled in the area known as freetown today in the 18th century.

They were igbo former slaves as well as at that time. They with other west african tribes formed the creole community in sl.

As at the time under review, they wouldnt be considered indigenes of the area called sl or freetown, because they were returnees and not natives.

The igbo Americo liberians in liberia in the 19th century couldnt have claimed indigenship of liberia even though they were citizens of liberia as at its time of founding because they were not natives.

The same context applies in the very oku case in sl. I dont know how hard it is to understand.

The okus of today are indigenes but not thier 18th century ancestors because they found their way to freetown

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by garfield1: 9:47am On Apr 17
Hotice085:

Bring that information here

Why not goggle CRS and akwa ibom with your phone

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Hotice085: 1:54pm On Apr 17
garfield1:

Why not goggle CRS and akwa ibom with your phone

Ogbeni na you de teach us about ethnic group in Nigeria I don't know if it is people that determines their ethnic group or nature?
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Christlike01: 2:35pm On Apr 17
garfield1:

Fulanis are all over west Africa unlike yorubas that are in Nigeria,Benin and Togo

You're so wrong! Yoruba are found in Nigeria, Benin Republic,Togo, Ghana, Sierra Leone, and Gambia. The fact is also that,there are indigenous Yoruba in Ivory coast and Senegal's Canary islands. Yoruba are the SINGLE LARGEST ethnic group in Nigeria. Most of the people that are regarded as Hausa in the North are actually not ethnic Hausa people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by scholes0(m): 8:28pm On Apr 18
Gbagyi is Kaduna and Zamfara, not Kebbi.
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by scholes0(m): 8:55pm On Apr 18
FiftyFifty:

Asking this glaringly unintelligent question tells everything about you IQ level.

Aleiro
Dukku
Funakaye
Fune
Jajere
Yusufari
Yunusari
Mayo Belwa
Karim Lamido
Jalingo
Jama'are
Fufore
Girei
Bali
Gassol
Sardauna
Akko
Toro
Darazo
Misau
Tambuwal
Issa
Ibbi
Kalgo
Bodinga
Goronyo
Shagari
Wamakko
Bagudu
Yauri
Are some of the local govt' areas that quickly came to my mind. They're spread across the North. I'm also Fulani. So?

Yauri, Darazo, Ibbi etc are not Fulani words.
Also, that some of those local governments were named after Fulani people or words from Fulfulde does not necessarily mean that the fulanis are the majority demographic in them. Case in point is Sardauna which is dominated by the Mambilla with the Fulanis there being a minority.

Virtually all the places you have listed are highly multi ethnic and diverse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by garfield1: 12:25pm On Apr 19
scholes0:

Yauri, Darazo, Ibbi etc are not Fulani words.
Also, that some of those local governments were named after Fulani people or words from Fulfulde does not necessarily mean that the fulanis are the majority demographic in them. Case in point is Sardauna which is dominated by the Mambilla with the Fulanis there being a minority.

Virtually all the places you have listed are highly multi ethnic and diverse.

It seems fulanis dominate Taraba
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Iamgrey5(m): 12:38pm On Apr 19
forgiveness:

So, it's fula that's naturally indigenous to Nigeria and other countries, abi?

Mr man, Oku people have their own towns in Sierra Leone and Gambia.
What of Brimah in Ghana?
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Iamgrey5(m): 12:39pm On Apr 19
Svoboda:

Pls, endeavor to grasp the context of the discourse.

I said the Oku "were" and not "are" indigenous in sl.

The oku were yoruba former slave returnees that settled in the area known as freetown today in the 18th century.

They were igbo former slaves as well as at that time. They with other west african tribes formed the creole community in sl.

As at the time under review, they wouldnt be considered indigenes of the area called sl or freetown, because they were returnees and not natives.

The igbo Americo liberians in liberia in the 19th century couldnt have claimed indigenship of liberia even though they were citizens of liberia as at its time of founding because they were not natives.

The same context applies in the very oku case in sl. I dont know how hard it is to understand.

The okus of today are indigenes but not thier 18th century ancestors because they found their way to freetown
Oku are Yoruba Muslims

While creole also include other Yoruba!

1 Like

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by forgiveness: 3:27pm On Apr 19
Iamgrey5:
What of Brimah in Ghana?

I no know that one ooo. You can please educate me on this.
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Iamgrey5(m): 3:35pm On Apr 19
forgiveness:

I no know that one ooo. You can please educate me on this.
Brimah are Yoruba Muslims that migrated from Kwara to Ghana in the 1800s

They even have a king in Accra amongst the Ga of Ghana who happens to be our distance cousins

https://trumpetmediagroup.com/western-africa/ghana/ghana-celebrates-sterling-legacy-of-yoruba-migrant-chief-bri/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by forgiveness: 3:43pm On Apr 19
Iamgrey5:

They even have a king in Accra amongst the Ga of Ghana who happens to be our distance cousins

https://trumpetmediagroup.com/western-africa/ghana/ghana-celebrates-sterling-legacy-of-yoruba-migrant-chief-bri/

Well, not inhabitants though. Heard of them in Accra.
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Svoboda(m): 3:47pm On Apr 19
Iamgrey5:
Oku are Yoruba Muslims

While creole also include other Yoruba!

Thanks for this distinction.

The Okus werent regarded as creole because of their distinct religion. They lived in their own cluster. Latet on, because of education, they were absorbed into the creole community. Some of them even anglicized their names.

The creole community had yorubas different from the oku.

Babington Macaulay, Herbert Macaulays father, was a Yoruba creole.

The Shitta Beys have oku ancestors.

The Hamiltons are igbo creoles from Onitsha.
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Iamgrey5(m): 3:47pm On Apr 19
forgiveness:

Well, not inhabitants though. Heard of them in Accra.
They have lived there before Ghana became a country

A former goal keeper of Ghana with surname Brimah is actually a Yoruba..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by forgiveness: 4:21pm On Apr 19
Iamgrey5:
They have lived there before Ghana became a country

A former goal keeper of Ghana with surname Brimah is actually a Yoruba..

But yhey met tha Ga there. Anyways, I agree they have become indigenous in Ghana.

Do you know of Canary islands in Senegal?
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Iamgrey5(m): 5:02pm On Apr 19
forgiveness:

But yhey met tha Ga there. Anyways, I agree they have become indigenous in Ghana.

Do you know of Canary islands in Senegal?
No, what about them?
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by forgiveness: 5:04pm On Apr 19
Iamgrey5:
No, what about them?

I heard Yorubas are found there. Is it true?
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by loffyloffy: 5:21pm On Apr 19
fuckJones:
what of Tiv people in north central? the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria?

You no sabi read, the guy is talking about NW, you are bringing NC into the conversation.

Abeg cool down
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Iamgrey5(m): 5:34pm On Apr 19
forgiveness:

I heard Yorubas are found there. Is it true?
I am not sure
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by forgiveness: 5:37pm On Apr 19
Iamgrey5:
I am not sure

Okay. Thanks
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by oyatz(m): 5:37pm On Apr 19
FiftyFifty:

Asking this glaringly unintelligent question tells everything about you IQ level.

Aleiro
Dukku
Funakaye
Fune
Jajere
Yusufari
Yunusari
Mayo Belwa
Karim Lamido
Jalingo
Jama'are
Fufore
Girei
Bali
Gassol
Sardauna
Akko
Toro
Darazo
Misau
Tambuwal
Issa
Ibbi
Kalgo
Bodinga
Goronyo
Shagari
Wamakko
Bagudu
Yauri
Are some of the local govt' areas that quickly came to my mind. They're spread across the North. I'm also Fulani. So?

Bros, in Yobe State, Fulanis are dominant in Jajere ,a small rural town under Fune LGA.

However, FUNE LGA is a mixture of Kanuri, Fulani, Kare-Kare and Ngozism.

Yusufari and Yinusari LGAs are Kanuri dominated with dispersed Fulani settlements.

The main Fulani dominated towns in Yobe are Jajere, Mashio-Fulani, Tarmuwa and to some extent Ngelzarma.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by scholes0(m): 7:40pm On Apr 19
garfield1:

It seems fulanis dominate Taraba

How do Fulanis dominate Taraba? looool
There is no state Fulanis dominante where they do not consistently emerge as the state governors. Give one example if it exists.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by garfield1: 8:06pm On Apr 19
scholes0:

How do Fulanis dominate Taraba? looool
There is no state Fulanis dominante and they do not consistently emerge as the state governors. Give one example if it exists.

They dominate gombe.most governors in NW are fulanis
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by scholes0(m): 9:10pm On Apr 19
garfield1:

They dominate gombe.most governors in NW are fulanis

Maybe you misunderstood the question I asked.
Fuanis do not dominate Taraba state. They are minorities there. Even in Jalingo. Their highest concentrations are in the Gashaka, Lau, Gassol and Karim Lamido, which are all already multiethnic areas.
Again which states do Fulanis dominate where they do not produce governor?

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by FiftyFifty(m): 11:37am On Apr 20
oyatz:

Bros, in Yobe State, Fulanis are dominant in Jajere ,a small rural town under Fune LGA.

However, FUNE LGA is a mixture of Kanuri, Fulani, Kare-Kare and Ngozism.

Yusufari and Yinusari LGAs are Kanuri dominated with dispersed Fulani settlements.

The main Fulani dominated towns in Yobe are Jajere, Mashio-Fulani, Tarmuwa and to some extent Ngelzarma.

Thank you for the correction.
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Simbrixton(m): 9:34am On Apr 21
Most people who claim fulani by identity are not fulas by DNA or Language

1 Like

Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by Konquest: 11:52pm On Apr 23
Iamgrey5:

Indeed, the king of the Ga Adangbe visited the Ooni of Ife with his entire entourage 2 years ago.

That's interesting... Where in Kwara did they migrate from to Ghana in the 1800s? Ok, I've read the full article in the link provided... Brimah (Anglicised form of Ibrahim) was a Yoruba man who migrated from Ilorin to Ghana on long-distance trading activities just like other Yoruba long-distance traders in the Old Oyo Empire did to Ghana and elsewhere in West Africa.
Re: Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West by garfield1: 1:50am On May 01
Konquest:

Indeed, the king of the Ga Adangbe visited the Ooni of Ife with his entire entourage 2 years ago.

That's interesting... Where in Kwara did they migrate from to Ghana in the 1800s? Ok, I've read the full article in the link provided... Brimah (Anglicised form of Ibrahim) was a Yoruba man who migrated from Ilorin to Ghana on long-distance trading activities just like other Yoruba long-distance traders in the Old Oyo Empire did to Ghana and elsewhere in West Africa.

Revealing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Would You Describe A Typical Nigerian / Islamic Police Smash 80,000 Beer Bottles In Nigeria / Igbo Must Be President In 2015. It Is Sacrosanct And Sacred- ATIKU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.