Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic (41633 Views)

Global Food Prices Surge As Black Sea Grain Deal Collapse / Garri: The Most Underrated Food In Nigeria. / Rising Cost Of Food Items In Nigeria (See Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by StraightGaay: 8:02pm On Apr 16
Asha
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Jatinzbusinessc(m): 8:07pm On Apr 16
This one na rich man food na you dont see it everywhere and its quit expensive.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by adecz: 8:08pm On Apr 16
An interesting grain & has a tendency
to really expand on cooking ..

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Pinicop(m): 8:08pm On Apr 16
I know it..

and...

I hate it with passion.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by ejieddy: 8:10pm On Apr 16
The difficulty is in washing it. I had to learn how to gently sift it and wash it but it's one of the best grain

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by adisabarber(m): 8:12pm On Apr 16
Gwote grin

Olorilolo:
This is Acha or Fonio( aka Hungry Rice)...

I'll tell you a quick story about this grain.
I work in the Health sector and I must say from my experience that one of the most difficult thing to control is the diet of a Diabetic patient. No matter the Nutritional advice offered and the consequent crisis, they are mostly non compliant. Can you blame them though, Food is life.

I saw this grains for the first time with my Mother-in-Law, she's been diabetic for the past 18 years and apart from the very first few years of her diagnosis, she's never had a single crisis. She swears by Acha.

It can be boiled and eaten with stew like Rice, blended to powder and used as swallow, used as flour for Bread, Akara, Moimoi, Pan cakes... Name it
She's living the life honestly.

Has anyone else heard of this grain? Please share your thoughts.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by slimmax: 8:26pm On Apr 16
That year wey we take am do pudding with milk, feel good like say 💭 na oats we de take
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Judd007: 8:32pm On Apr 16
Used to eat it back then in J-town, love it
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by 1Sharon(f): 8:41pm On Apr 16
What does it taste like? It looks like something I would eat

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by dettolgel: 8:49pm On Apr 16
Anashe:
Looks like Quinoa

I was actually looking for this comment

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by BeardedMeat(m): 8:53pm On Apr 16
younowell:
A for Acha. Acha is bae, I wonder why they don't sell it in the market down south here. Anytime i travel to J-Town,I consume it a lot. What I do now to get it is that, anytime my estate security friend want to travel home to Jos, I usually send him to buy for me.
Is that where they derived the name "achaba" which we call okada down here?
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by kollog: 9:24pm On Apr 16
It was during the era of President Goodluck Jonathan that this grain's (Acha) price started increasing cos they normally come to Plateau to order for it in Large quantity.

Before it was not that popular among people, now it's being exported outside the shores of Nigeria.

Anyone that wants to go into the business should visit us in Plateau, it's very lucrative.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by GreaterFuture(m): 9:28pm On Apr 16
They said "no cast am"...
The end of the matter has been seen already.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by dkidd: 9:59pm On Apr 16
Na which one be acha again? Never seen or heard of it before undecided
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Taiwo20(m): 10:02pm On Apr 16
This thing Dey Alaba Rago market?
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by DeLaRue: 10:07pm On Apr 16
Most foods with colour white are bad for diabetes.

That's because whiteness is often an indication of low fibre content.

Very low fibre = simple carbohydrate.

Simple Carbohydrate = easy conversion to blood sugar.

Rice, Yam, Poundo yam, white bread have 2 things in common. They are white and bad for diabetes.

That's not to say all white foods are bads, and all darker colour foods are great.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by aalangel(f): 10:14pm On Apr 16
Olorilolo:

I work in the Health sector and I must say from my experience that one of the most difficult thing to control is the diet of a Diabetic patient. No matter the Nutritional advice offered and the consequent crisis, they are mostly non compliant. Can you blame them though, Food is life.

I saw this grains for the first time with my Mother-in-Law, she's been diabetic for the past 18 years and apart from the very first few years of her diagnosis, she's never had a single crisis. She swears by Acha.

It can be boiled and eaten with stew like Rice, blended to powder and used as swallow, used as flour for Bread, Akara, Moimoi, Pan cakes... Name it

We ate it when I was in university of Jos. Then my cousin was always cooking it for her boyfriend's dog. It's mainly eaten in the north.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Ladymillion(f): 10:27pm On Apr 16
Yes it's very good for diabetics though a bit expensive. It's called hungry man's rice.i use it in lieu of quaker oats and could be use din so may ways. The major two cereals good for diabetic are hungry man's rice (Acha) and Finger Millet.(Tamba) bc they are gluten free.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by eepeepook: 10:36pm On Apr 16
This topic again.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Melagros(m): 10:43pm On Apr 16
EreluRoz:
Yes I know Acha very well, I enjoy taking it as pap with milk. I love it thick, then pour my milk to soften the thickness and consume. I love it well. It's common in the north.
This lady how you take know am? Acha is cultivated in my place well well
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by EreluRoz: 10:48pm On Apr 16
Melagros:

This lady how you take know am? Acha is cultivated in my place well well
Where are you from? My mum loves it very much
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Melagros(m): 10:55pm On Apr 16
EreluRoz:
Where are you from? My mum loves it very much
Jos, but I no dey home now!
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by EreluRoz: 10:56pm On Apr 16
Melagros:

Jos, but I no dey home now!
Yes it's mostly found in the north.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Silentgroper(m): 11:39pm On Apr 16
EreluRoz:
Yes I know Acha very well, I enjoy taking it as pap with milk. I love it thick, then pour my milk to soften the thickness and consume. I love it well. It's common in the north.

Do you live in the north??

Are you diabetic??
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Silentgroper(m): 11:43pm On Apr 16
OluwaBlessyn:
Toor

Since it’s expensive than rice

Make we kukuma Dey chop rice dey go na
it's not for you .. it's for diabetic people..
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by mamawa123: 12:43am On Apr 17
Is the acha same thing as couscous?
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Rotji(m): 1:46am On Apr 17
Seyitosino:
I think it is

It is not please
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Rotji(m): 1:54am On Apr 17
Olorilolo:

You actually don't have to blend it to make swallow with it, but last last it's your preference that does it though.

Acha is the food anyone looking to lose weight should go for, it can prepared in so many different ways and recipes.

It's truly grossly underrated, Nigeria should be exporting this staple, but alas a lot of Nigerians aren't even aware of such a wonder food let alone growing in commercial quantity. .

In addition to Plateau and Southern Kaduna, It's also grown in Southern Bauchi.

My house always has Acha in stock, I've introduced some Delta people to it cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by SpaceAngel: 4:41am On Apr 17
Looks like a dish I ate in Ethiopia. Couscous. What does the raw one look like?
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by mrjojo: 5:31am On Apr 17
This is quinoa or bulgur wheat (it a super food) high in fibre, low carb
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Onyedikachi231: 6:38am On Apr 17
Twoclans:
Acha is a fantastic grain but quite expensive due to its nutritional value

Which nutritional value?

The only protein it has is stripped with the bran or what do you call that outer shell?

The zinc and iron in it is made inaccessible by the phytate

Effect of processing methods on nutrient value
edit
Before consumption, fonio grains must be processed using mechanical (dehusking, milling) or thermal (precooking, parboiling, roasting) methods. Depending on the processing method, the nutrient value may be affected.

Regarding the macronutrients, the carbohydrate content remains higher when the grains are precooked rather than roasted. The protein content is much lower after milling because the bran that gets removed contains a lot of protein. The highest protein content is achieved when parboiling. The lipid content is increased when roasted and decreased when milled or precooked.

Regarding micronutrients, the iron and zinc content remains the highest when parboiled while milling leads to a loss due to the removal of the bran.

Phytate, an anti-nutritional factor that inhibits the absorption of minerals like iron and zinc, is reduced by washing and cooking but is still high enough to inhibit adequate mineral absorption.

Generally, parboiled fonio shows the best nutritional composition when compared to the other processing methods. However, parboiling fonio does not lead to as efficient redistribution of nutrients as is the case with parboiled rice. Additionally, the process of parboiling changes the color of the fonio grains which is disliked by some consumers

It is as worthless as rice, lets not lie to ourselves.
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by tofolo(m): 6:42am On Apr 17
Olorilolo:

mostly grown from southern Kaduna.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lady Orders Cake for her Baby's Birthday Online, But See What was Delivered. PIX / Party Guests Served Food From A Hot Stove In Nigeria (Video) / How To Make Ofe Oha (oha Soup)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.