Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,814 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic (41595 Views)

Global Food Prices Surge As Black Sea Grain Deal Collapse / Garri: The Most Underrated Food In Nigeria. / Rising Cost Of Food Items In Nigeria (See Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Olorilolo(f): 4:31pm On Apr 16
This is Acha or Fonio( aka Hungry Rice)...

I'll tell you a quick story about this grain.
I work in the Health sector and I must say from my experience that one of the most difficult thing to control is the diet of a Diabetic patient. No matter the Nutritional advice offered and the consequent crisis, they are mostly non compliant. Can you blame them though, Food is life.

I saw this grains for the first time with my Mother-in-Law, she's been diabetic for the past 18 years and apart from the very first few years of her diagnosis, she's never had a single crisis. She swears by Acha.

It can be boiled and eaten with stew like Rice, blended to powder and used as swallow, used as flour for Bread, Akara, Moimoi, Pan cakes... Name it
She's living the life honestly.

Has anyone else heard of this grain? Please share your thoughts.

46 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by EreluRoz: 4:33pm On Apr 16
Yes I know Acha very well, I enjoy taking it as pap with milk. I love it thick, then pour my milk to soften the thickness and consume. I love it well. It's common in the north.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Samesame247: 5:20pm On Apr 16
You wan cast this food. One paint rubber of rice is ..... abeg no cast this food

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Olorilolo(f): 6:45pm On Apr 16
EreluRoz:
Yes I know Acha very well, I enjoy taking it as pap with milk. I love it thick, then pour my milk to soften the thickness and consume. I love it well. It's common in the north.
Same here. It's so nice for breakfast.
Sometimes I would take as Pap with akara.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by EreluRoz: 6:46pm On Apr 16
Olorilolo:

Same here. It's so nice for breakfast.
Sometimes I would take as Pap with akara.
Exactly, very good for breakfast

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Olorilolo(f): 7:17pm On Apr 16
Samesame247:
You wan cast this food. One paint rubber of rice is ..... abeg no cast this food

grin grin
Well, it's far more expensive than Rice. A paint goes for 10-12k now.

27 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Samesame247: 7:19pm On Apr 16
Olorilolo:

grin grin
Well, it's far more expensive than Rice. A paint goes for 10-12k now.

I doubt. I think ukwa is more expensive

22 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Racoon(m): 7:39pm On Apr 16
Acha is a popular nutritional food grain commonly found and cultivated in Jos Plateau and parts of Southern Kaduna. It is used to prepare a wide variety of local dishes from gusgus, to tuwo acha and gote( a local delicacy consumes as thick or watery forms).

Acha is the food meal of choice for diabetic patients as it is said to ensure easy satiety and low carbohydrate

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by AbuTwins: 7:40pm On Apr 16
See swallow!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by etrange: 7:40pm On Apr 16
Is this different from the quinoa we eat?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 7:40pm On Apr 16
Never heard of it

13 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Judolisco(m): 7:40pm On Apr 16
I've never seen dis in my life before

18 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Onyedikachi231: 7:40pm On Apr 16
SAND

Effect of processing methods on nutrient value
edit
Before consumption, fonio grains must be processed using mechanical (dehusking, milling) or thermal (precooking, parboiling, roasting) methods. Depending on the processing method, the nutrient value may be affected.[22][23]

Regarding the macronutrients, the carbohydrate content remains higher when the grains are precooked rather than roasted. The protein content is much lower after milling because the bran that gets removed contains a lot of protein. The highest protein content is achieved when parboiling. The lipid content is increased when roasted and decreased when milled or precooked.[23]

Regarding micronutrients, the iron and zinc content remains the highest when parboiled while milling leads to a loss due to the removal of the bran.[23] Phytate, an anti-nutritional factor that inhibits the absorption of minerals like iron and zinc, is reduced by washing and cooking but is still high enough to inhibit adequate mineral absorption.[22]

Generally, parboiled fonio shows the best nutritional composition when compared to the other processing methods.[23] However, parboiling fonio does not lead to as efficient redistribution of nutrients as is the case with parboiled rice. Additionally, the process of parboiling changes the color of the fonio grains which is disliked by some consumers.[22]

Worthless grass

7 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by GRACEGLORY: 7:41pm On Apr 16
Olorilolo:

I work in the Health sector and I must say from my experience that one of the most difficult thing to control is the diet of a Diabetic patient. No matter the Nutritional advice offered and the consequent crisis, they are mostly non compliant. Can you blame them though, Food is life.

I saw this grains for the first time with my Mother-in-Law, she's been diabetic for the past 18 years and apart from the very first few years of her diagnosis, she's never had a single crisis. She swears by Acha.

It can be boiled and eaten with stew like Rice, blended to powder and used as swallow, used as flour for Bread, Akara, Moimoi, Pan cakes... Name it

๐Ÿ™„

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by sofeo(m): 7:42pm On Apr 16
Nice packages.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Skillsnigeria: 7:42pm On Apr 16
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by OluwaBlessyn: 7:43pm On Apr 16
Toor

Since itโ€™s expensive than rice

Make we kukuma Dey chop rice dey go na

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by jaxxy(m): 7:43pm On Apr 16
no idea what it is.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by kernniejay(m): 7:44pm On Apr 16
No idea about it.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Twoclans(f): 7:45pm On Apr 16
Acha is a fantastic grain but quite expensive due to its nutritional value

5 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Anashe: 7:47pm On Apr 16
Looks like Quinoa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Hezzyluv: 7:47pm On Apr 16
Jos and Kaduna dey farm am very well.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Raf4: 7:48pm On Apr 16
Olorilolo:

Can you show them in raw form and let's see how they look like?

6 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by younowell: 7:48pm On Apr 16
A for Acha. Acha is bae, I wonder why they don't sell it in the market down south here. Anytime i travel to J-Town,I consume it a lot. What I do now to get it is that, anytime my estate security friend want to travel home to Jos, I usually send him to buy for me.

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Pootle: 7:48pm On Apr 16
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by jojothaiv(m): 7:49pm On Apr 16
Yes.

Big ups to my Josite folks, this food is a mainstay in our diet.

9 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Oromoni619: 7:50pm On Apr 16
I don't know Acha, were can one buy it
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by BigDawsNet: 7:53pm On Apr 16
He dey city?
Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by id4sho(m): 7:56pm On Apr 16
EreluRoz:
I didn't know you haff sense

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:56pm On Apr 16
There's always sand in it

1 Like

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by Seyitosino(m): 7:57pm On Apr 16
I think it is
Anashe:
Looks like Quinoa

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Most Underrated Grain In Nigeria? See Pic by eedimo(m): 8:00pm On Apr 16
Early days of school.
Thank you Emma for saving me with Acha.
Thank you plateau state for the opportunity.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The Evolution Coca-Cola Bottles Went Through Over The Years! (PIC) / 5 Unhealthy Meats You Should Avoid / Does Mixing Alcoholic Drinks With Non-Alcoholic Drinks Reduce Effect?

Viewing this topic: neduedu(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.