Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,755 members, 7,813,502 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% (9555 Views)

Nigerian Man Takes $500,000 Cash To Deposit In A Bank, Causes Stirs / FG Orders Google, Apple To Deactivate ‘illegal’ Online Banks, Loan Apps / Sterling Bank Grows Profit After Tax By 65% To N8.521bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by CaptainGo: 9:19pm On Apr 17
AndroBlaze:

Take your time and read the information people have provided.

He is not trying to encourage people to take loans. People taking loans increases the money supply and CBN under him have stated countless times that their is too much money in circulation (not necessarily because there were too many loans given out, but because he claims Emefiele was just printing money anyhow and spending it). Basic monetary economics says when money supply increases irrationally, prices go up as the money loses its worth, and that is what he is trying to stop. He is trying to control the supply of money (take money out of the system) and thats what practically all the policies he has unleashed (raising lending rates, increasing Treasury and Bond yields and now curbing commercial banks ability to lend by reducing LDR) are aimed at.

Its textbook economics, but could still fail if it turns out to be an overkill

Spot on.

These are temporary measures I believe.
He's trying to boost the Naira's value from the monetary end.
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by mankan2k7(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool bros my waist de pain me serious!

E get one slim ASHAWO girl way I NACK last night, in fact na she NACK me!

This girls give me SNAKE in the MONKEY SHADOW style!

This girl use her too legs leg take tie my waist !

Naso my PREEK de shift shift inside her TOTTO ..

The worst part be say, her TOTO wide well well.

The sound of her TOTTO come de sound like wer dem de play snooker..

The sound be like dis.

IKPAKA IKPAKA IKPAKA

my waist de pain me 4 here ooo

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

Na person born this one o...
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by commoditiesnig: 10:30pm On Apr 17
Adaiobanyi1:
Anyone who understands this should kindly explain to me.
Lol i was about to ask same

Economists in the house should clarify for us pls.

1 Like

Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by Believeintruth: 10:37pm On Apr 17
CaptainGo:

What are you on about?

By this new policy, the CBN is actually reducing loans by bank not encouraging it.

I know but is that not hurting the real economy? Those who need loans for business expansion nko?
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by Believeintruth: 12:14am On Apr 18
AndroBlaze:

He is not trying to encourage people to take loans. People taking loans increases the money supply and CBN under him have stated countless times that their is too much money in circulation (not necessarily because there were too many loans given out, but because he claims Emefiele was just printing money anyhow and spending it). Basic monetary economics says when money supply increases irrationally, prices go up as the money loses its worth, and that is what he is trying to stop. He is trying to control the supply of money (take money out of the system) and thats what practically all the policies he has unleashed (raising lending rates, increasing Treasury and Bond yields and now curbing commercial banks ability to lend by reducing LDR) are aimed at.

Thanks for clarifying, but in truth it is an overkill as this could hurt the money. It could impact on projects that need necessary funding.
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by RhinoChest: 3:26am On Apr 18
AndroBlaze:

Won’t be an overkill. Inflation rate is too high, thus, affecting depreciation of Naira. Businesses that need liquidity would be forced to lower prices of their goods or services.

If businesses have favourable loan rate, they won’t be incentivised to reduce prices, keeping inflation high or sticky.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by OkoEmm: 7:57am On Apr 18
Believeintruth:

But this move makes no sense because the interst rates are high so lowering the loan to deposit ratio will still not encourage people to take loans at very high interest rates.

Lowering the loan to deposit ratio is not meant to encourage people to take loans. Its only meant to reduce pressure on banks to issue loans usikg customers deposits.

Because the banks top management are thinking in this way.

"CBN increasing interest rates discourages our customers from taking loans from us(the banks). Yet the same CBN wants us to achieve 65% loan to deposit ratio otherwise we get penalised."

So in return, CBN says let's take a little pressure of you and reduce the ratio to 50%.

But be rest assured, that once interest rates and inflation reduces, the loan to deposit ratio has to increase to align with the so called "1 trillion dollar Nigerian economy they want to achieve as well as the 500 billion naira bank recapitalisation agenda"
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by Believeintruth: 8:01am On Apr 18
OkoEmm:

Lowering the loan to deposit ratio is not meant to encourage people to take loans. Its only meant to reduce pressure on banks to issue loans usikg customers deposits.

Because the banks top management are thinking in this way.

"CBN increasing interest rates discourages our customers from taking loans from us(the banks). Yet the same CBN wants us to achieve 65% loan to deposit ratio otherwise we get penalised."

So in return, CBN says let's take a little pressure of you and reduce the ratio to 50%.

But be rest assured, that once interest rates and inflation reduces, the loan to deposit ratio has to increase to align with the so called "1 trillion dollar Nigerian economy they want to achieve as well as the 500 billion naira bank recapitalisation agenda"

Okay till then
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by Adaiobanyi1: 9:17am On Apr 18
trudpo:
It means loans to customers is reduced.
For example, Loan = 52m and Deposit = 80m Therefore, Loan to Deposit = 52/80*100 = 65%

But now,

Loan = 40m and Deposit = 80m
Then, Loan to Deposit = 40/80*100 = 50%

Impact
Control money in circulation
Marginal impact on businesses than need financing

thank you for the breakdown
Re: CBN Reduces Banks' Loan To Deposit Ratio From 65% To 50% by Adaiobanyi1: 9:21am On Apr 18
PoeticMind:

Firstly, Loan to deposit ratio (LDR) refers to the ratio of all the total loans (risk assets) a bank gives out versus its total deposit balance at a particular pint in time. Hence, if, for instance, bank A for has total customer deposit balance of N1 million, under the previous policy, they were required to give out loans to the tune of N650 thousand naira or face sanctions from CBN, whereas now they will only be required to lend out only N500 thousand, providing the bank with more liquidity for other non-lending activities.

In theory, this should help abate inflation, by reducing the volume of loans created and concurrently, reducing the volume of money in circulation. It will also help banks manage their risks better and keep their books cleaner in terms of bad loans.

This is a simple analysis though, there are a few more intricacies not factored in here like the CBN's Cash reserve ratio (CRR), liquidity reserves etc.
beautiful breakdown.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shops In Amassoma, Bayelsa State Burnt, Millions Lost / Naira Tumbles To 503 On Parallel Market / Naira Drops To ₦‎1,089 Against US Dollar At Official FOREX Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.