Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,884 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt (16136 Views)

Tunde Onakoya Breaks Guinness World Record For Longest Chess Marathon / Guinness World Record: Davido, Sowore Turn Up To Support Chess Master, Onakoya / Profile Of Tunde Onakoya, Chess In Slums Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Nigeriakan: 8:41am On Apr 18
cenaman:
He won't make it.

Olódùmarè and the Òrìṣà shall shame you. Better take care of yourself before jealousy and bitterness kill your.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Rashman578(m): 8:43am On Apr 18
Go on champ

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by AkpaMgbor(m): 8:53am On Apr 18
RickyJesus:

My point exactly, do you think they are pre_selected?
Most likely….
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Homiesjinxbank: 8:53am On Apr 18
I'm looking it up right away

olisaEze:
Well, here we go again. GWR servers are about to suffer another assault from Nigerians that will immediately start attempting to break the record as soon as he wins. T-Man, I’m rooting for you! cool

#ChessMarathonForChange

Did someone tell you that you cannot learn it, when you literally have the internet at your finger tips? I recommend you pick up this book, Kasparov teaches chess, by Garry Kasparov. If it doesn’t kindle your interest, it’ll at least teach you some moves you can use to impress your friends.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by ProfGday(m): 9:50am On Apr 18
Go Tunde..... We are trailblazers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by damiloladuke: 9:56am On Apr 18
For you to have thought of this and even wrote it out, you must be the most vile person in your village. You don't have saliva in your mouth. You have a large dose of bile.

cenaman:
He won't make it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by greypencils: 10:07am On Apr 18
Goodluck to Tunde. He has been playing for 17hours 32 minutes already.

Link to watch

https://tiltify.com/+tunde-onakoya/play-chess-with-tunde-onakoya

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Azazyel: 11:03am On Apr 18
AkpaMgbor:

Do you play chess? If he is playing against prearranged opponents then it’s possible..but if he played against anyone rated over 1900 he might lose…and how many boards will he be playing on at any given time? These are valid questions to ask for a simultaneous exhibition in a chess record…

Yeah I play chess a lot. Yes I know he might lose. Infact while I read through the post, I saw that the task is really tough. He may likely not win but what made me respond to that guy is the manner in which he condemned this aspiring man to failure. If you look at the way that guy responded that "he will not make it" you'll see the angle he is coming from. He didn't speak from the chess angle. I get your point. It's just that we need to encourage this young man even as we know how tough it is.
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by tiswell(m): 11:25am On Apr 18
cenaman:
He won't make it.
you are right comrade.

Who gets congratulations when competition is still ongoing?

That's typical SW chest-beating at play.
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by AkpaMgbor(m): 11:29am On Apr 18
Azazyel:

Yeah I play chess a lot. Yes I know he might lose. Infact while I read through the post, I saw that the task is really tough. He may likely not win but what made me respond to that guy is the manner in which he condemned this aspiring man to failure. If you look at the way that guy responded that "he will not make it" you'll see the angle he is coming from. He didn't speak from the chess angle. I get your point. It's just that we need to encourage this young man even as we know how tough it is.
Yea I get your point and they are valid. Was just speaking from a chess point of view. Even the ‘arguably’ greatest chess player ever Garry Kasparov made sure to vet those coming to his simultaneous exhibition. Make one GM or IM no come spoil en exhibitions lol. But good luck to Tunde for the awareness and promotion of chess in Nigeria..
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by kendrick9(m): 12:21pm On Apr 18
AkpaMgbor:

Fausti wey beat magnus for blitz lol. Even kids of 10 years these days are of grandmaster strength, that’s why I said his opponents were likely prearranged.
If it's prearranged then it diminish the value of the record, don't you think so?
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by meobizy(f): 12:59pm On Apr 18
Pointless.
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by BuyMeBanger: 1:54pm On Apr 18
hmm, @meobizy at least it's chess and not for 'crying the longest' wink

1 Like

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by AkpaMgbor(m): 2:40pm On Apr 18
kendrick9:
If it's prearranged then it diminish the value of the record, don't you think so?
No it doesn’t…I think it’s a record for stamina not for quality of play…even elite chess players vet their opponents for a simultaneous exhibition to avoid having strong masters playing against you at the same time…beating a single master is a tough task not to talk of multiple masters on different boards at the same time. Tunde isn’t even master level, he is a strong club player level at best. So imagine him playing random players that may even be strong club level players at the same time? It’s a tall order. And should a master player sneak into the exhibition then you can bet your life savings that he will beat Tunde.
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by kendrick9(m): 4:55pm On Apr 18
AkpaMgbor:

No it doesn’t…I think it’s a record for stamina not for quality of play…even elite chess players vet their opponents for a simultaneous exhibition to avoid having strong masters playing against you at the same time…beating a single master is a tough task not to talk of multiple masters on different boards at the same time. Tunde isn’t even master level, he is a strong club player level at best. So imagine him playing random players that may even be strong club level players at the same time? It’s a tall order. And should a master player sneak into the exhibition then you can bet your life savings that he will beat Tunde.
Yeah of course if it's against club level players then it's a very good achievement regardless.
But my area I'm concerned is if as you say it's prearranged, don't you think there could be case of the opponents letting him win?
If that's the case what does that say about this record?
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by AkpaMgbor(m): 5:48pm On Apr 18
kendrick9:
Yeah of course if it's against club level players then it's a very good achievement regardless.
But my area I'm concerned is if as you say it's prearranged, don't you think there could be case of the opponents letting him win?
If that's the case what does that say about this record?
That’s the same thing I’m saying, the record isn’t about the quality of play but about duration. Even if the opponent isn’t letting him win intentionally then it means the opponent(s) is/are very very weak, like beginners level weak. There’s no way Tunde can play someone close to his level or on his level for 50 hours without dropping a game, not even the greatest players of all time could do that against their contemporaries.
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by atobs4real(m): 3:43pm On Apr 19
Hanndye:

Omoluabis created the game in the first place, abi?
Wishing him the best of luck.
He dey pain u?
Am omoluabi 100℅
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Hanndye: 5:48pm On Apr 19
atobs4real:

He dey pain u?
Am omoluabi 100℅
Vainglory is a good conduct of an omoluabi, abi?
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Hanndye: 5:52pm On Apr 19
atobs4real:

He dey pain u?
Am omoluabi 100℅
You think you are an omoluabi but you are just being si.lly.
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Hanndye: 5:59pm On Apr 19
atobs4real:

He dey pain u?
Am omoluabi 100℅
You think you are an omoluabi but you are just being si.lly.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Azazyel: 5:17pm On Apr 20
cenaman:
He won't make it.

He has made it. I hope you can see now
Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Tayomi37(m): 8:37pm On Apr 20
Right now, the guy completed 60 hours stretch . Where are the guys saying he won't make it (@cenaman et al),come and set up your own challenge and let's see how it goes

1 Like

Re: Tunde Onakoya Begins His 58-Hour Guinness World Record Attempt by Konquest: 1:55am On Apr 27
Lanrelagboi:

Renowned chess player Tunde Onakoya has embarked on a mission to break the Guinness World Record for the longest chess marathon. Onakoya announced the event’s start via his X (formerly Twitter) account, captioning it “Game time.”

The marathon is currently underway at New York City’s iconic Times Square. It began at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17, and is scheduled to conclude at 8 p.m. on April 19. Onakoya aims to play continuously for 58 hours without suffering a defeat.

He seeks to raise $1 million to support global chess education for children.

Tony O. Elumelu, formerly on X (formerly Twitter), expressed his support for Onakoya, saying, “Good luck on checkmating New York, @Tunde_OD, as you attempt to set the Guinness World Record for the longest Chess Marathon. Continue to inspire African youth—we stand firmly behind you.”

Former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo applauded the chess master, stating, “Dear Tunde, best of luck in Times Square as you strive to set the Guinness World Record for the Longest Chess Marathon! Your resilience and spirit inspire us all. Remember your own powerful words: ‘It is possible to do great things from a small place.’ Let the dynamic energy of Times Square amplify the greatness you, a proud Nigerian, bring to the chessboard. We’re all behind you—show the world the strength and determination you are made of! God bless you, @Tunde_OD.”

The current Guinness World Record, held by Hallvard Haug Flatebø and Sjur Ferkingstad of Norway on November 11, 2018, stands at 56 hours, 9 minutes, and 37 seconds.

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/04/17/chess-master-tunde-onakoya-begins-58-hour-marathon-in-new-york/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Morocco Football Success Story A Model For Nigeria Football Development? / Eni Aluko Signed By Juventus From Chelsea / Obinna Ogba Visits Super Eagles Players During Training In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.