Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) (23537 Views)

Nigerian Arrested In India Over Scam Advert / 81-Year-Old Man Murdered In His Farm In Delta (Photo) / Osun Mother Ties Up Her Son In Sack Over Evil Spirit Allegations (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by IJEYdiamond(f): 11:46pm On Apr 18
People work... in 70s 80s.. Benjamin of lsrael and Biden... how old are they??.....😒😒😒

2 Likes

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by BALLOSKI: 11:50pm On Apr 18
2023Blessed:
61 year old woman still hustling as an UBER driver. God abeg!
sad! She needs to pay the bills and not be homeless.

Hope this scam was not organised by a Nigerian.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by 2023Blessed: 11:54pm On Apr 18
BALLOSKI:
sad! She needs to pay the bills and not be homeless.

Hope this scam was not organised by a Nigerian.
I hope so too. I'm just surprised that the senior citizens over there too need to keep working that hard at that age to make ends meet.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Dancebreaker: 1:35am On Apr 19
notmyrealmonika:
My question is
Would he have shot her, if she was White?
Nope.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by goody234: 1:42am On Apr 19
Racist punk rot in jail

1 Like

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by themanderon: 1:46am On Apr 19
Crazy. The foolish scammers would not know they are responsible for the death of an innocent woman. Judgement day will be interesting.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by fkj950ax(m): 2:27am On Apr 19
2023Blessed:
But I thought they said things are easier in the States grin
Things are easier and better in the US than Nigeria.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by pafun(m): 3:18am On Apr 19
2023Blessed:
your father is a pig. I sure say na UBER driver your useless papa be.

What has my hardworking father done to you to deserve this insult? I swear by the sweat of his Labor you will remember this day for the rest of your life.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Ilekokonit: 3:35am On Apr 19
This is one of the reasons why Uber or Mini Cab driving remains a very dangerous job. In the UK I heard about the case of an Uber driver who was stabbed to death while driving by a customer who was sitting directly behind him.

You no know wetin your customer carry for bag. It could be a hammer, a knife or a gun.

I used to do part time Mini cab driving many years ago as a student in London and I've been robbed by 4 customers who were obviously armed and they still forced me to drop them at home one by one for free. Those were the days when someone could stab you to death on Friday in London, escape to Jamaica the same night and come back to London on Monday on another passport before the UK Govt banned visa on arrivals for Jamaica.

I also remember carrying 3 oyinbo guys another night and as I stopped the car to drop them off they got out and all ran away without paying. Normally, I just smile and let them go but this night around 3am, I just got out of the car on impulse and started chasing after them. 2 of them kept running into a block of flats and the third one turned around to fight me and at this point I knew I had to act fast and get out of the cul de sack dead end road before the other 2 would get a weapon from their flat and come back for me. I somehow managed to shake the guy off and quickly reverse my car and get out of the culde sac.

The final straw that made me hang my driving gloves permanently was when I was earning peanuts as a then Trainee Accountant and I had just imported my then wife and baby boy from Naija and my salary was not enough for 3 and so every Friday night, I would go to night clubs at night and ask people leaving if they wanted a cab like many immigrants did in those days. Unknown to me, one particular night, the first passengers I picked were undercover cops (male and female in mufti).

The minute they entered my car and I moved, na police siren I hear for my back and before I could say Jack Robinson, handcuffs don enter baba hand and they started reading me my rights. I spent the next 4 hours for cell and I was charged to court for an offence called "touting" (as no cab driver is allowed to approach a customer for a job in the streets of the UK).For cabs and Uber, it has to be pre-booked by the customer and for black cabs, they are the only ones that customers can wave at and they will stop and pick them due to their special status. Their knowledge exams of the streets in their patch takes around 2 years or more to pass.

Before the court date, my fellow Naija "touts" advised me to lie to the judge that I did not approach the customers in the street but my cab office sent me to pick them. Thank God I did not listen to them and i told the judge the truth that I was struggling to survive on my £700 a month accountant salary especially since I just brought my then wife and baby boy from Nigeria and all i was looking for by doing the "touting" was just a few pounds to use in buying food for my family over the weekend.

The judge said he thought I was going to lie and he had made up his mind that if I lied to him, he would have fined me £800 and given me penalty points on my license but because I told him the truth, I should go and sin no more and just pay £25 court costs BUT he warned me to desist from it for 2 years 'cos if I was nabbed doing the same thing within 2 years, he would then fine me £800 and given me penalty points on my license.

The judge also told my lawyer to write to my then Accounting firm employer that if they sacked me, he was going to be cross with them because all in all, i was just trying to feed my young family. But I later told my lawyer not to bother writing to my employer.

Another danger faced in my student days of mini cabbing was when I had just brought my 7 month old son and my Ex from Naija to London and to make extra money, I borrowed my brothers extra car and went on a long mini cab shift lasting 60 hours (2 and a half days) without sleep (in those days you had to put in the hours to make anything from mini cabbing) and on the way home after the 60 hour shift I started feeling sleepy and I wound down my windows so that the winter cold will keep me awake as I was only 20 minutes or so from home.

What saved my life was that the Met police stopped me just as I was approaching the entrance to Rotherhite tunnel and asked me to put on my seat belt which I did.
As I exited the East London end of the tunnel and turned right towards Stratford, I dozed off for a split second and crashed the "borrowed" car into the central road divider. I was not injured but the car was a write off (although UK write off is not as serious as Naija one). The police came and called an ambulance and I was certified fine at the hospital.

The police later charged me to court for "driving without due care and attention" 'cos in their summation, the minute I started feeling sleepy, I should have pulled over, reclined my seat and slept for a while instead of carrying on driving. I was fined £250 at the court and had 6 penalty points docked from my license.

Today's London is now so dangerous with stabbings almost every day that Uber or mini cab driving is not a job for the faint hearted.

Talking of the so called wife I imported from Naija and was trying to feed with those mini cab jobs that either landed me in hospital or in court, she has now turned my 2 children against me as we speak although they are no longer kids but young adults but you know say for UK, pikin no too get sense like Naija pikin 'cos for the latter, its hard to turn their minds against their father but for UK, its the easiest thing for a woman to do.

But then again, shit happens and you just learn to live with it 'cos for UK, it is pointless dragging kids with a woman although they are no longer kids now BUT the relationship has been damaged beyond repair and I see them as strangers and I suppose they see me as a stranger too as we have lived apart for quite a while now. Although I still lend a financial helping hand to the younger one whenever its needed although a friend says that I am wasting my money.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Olushylay1(f): 6:16am On Apr 19
This man was trying to test his gun,See the way he held the gun.The gun looks like a toy gun..
Am sure he was just simply looking for where to test it.
He has achieved his mission.
He should enjoy the rest of his life in jail..The jail sef,na full enjoyment.
The government will cater for him,get his drugs,food, cloths for free.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Gerrard59(m): 7:36am On Apr 19
fkj950ax:

How old do you think those taxi and bus driver all over Nigeria are?

I like logic based rebuttals.

Well done!

1 Like

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by 2023Blessed: 8:50am On Apr 19
pafun:

What has my hardworking father done to you to deserve this insult? I swear by the sweat of his Labor you will remember this day for the rest of your life.
He failed to train you properly, else you won't be calling random strangers on the internet "ode" because it's a faceless forum. Do you know if I am older than your father?

As long as God lives, every male child in your family including you will labour for the rest of their lives but will remain in perpetual poverty. As for the females, they will never escape obscurity.

Next time, you will guard that your loose tongue and itchy fingers that you think you can just use to insult strangers without offence. Other sane people quoted me with sensible response but you chose to start yours with "Ode". I repeat that your wretched useless father is an ode for bringing up a nuisance as you. Animal
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by chatinent: 9:05am On Apr 19
Only if Nigerians knew life is also hard in America if not worse.

Good environment and better sanity, yes, but very formal means of survival..

1 Like

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by dopedan(m): 10:35am On Apr 19
Ilekokonit:
This is one of the reasons why Uber or Mini Cab driving remains a very dangerous job. In the UK I heard about the case of an Uber driver who was stabbed to death while driving by a customer who was sitting directly behind him.

You no know wetin your customer carry for bag. It could be a hammer, a knife or a gun.

I used to do part time Mini cab driving many years ago as a student in London and I've been robbed by 4 customers who were obviously armed and they still forced me to drop them at home one by one for free. Those were the days when someone could stab you to death on Friday in London, escape to Jamaica the same night and come back to London on Monday on another passport before the UK Govt banned visa on arrivals for Jamaica.

I also remember carrying 3 oyinbo guys another night and as I stopped the car to drop them off they got out and all ran away without paying. Normally, I just smile and let them go but this night around 3am, I just got out of the car on impulse and started chasing after them. 2 of them kept running into a block of flats and the third one turned around to fight me and at this point I knew I had to act fast and get out of the cul de sack dead end road before the other 2 would get a weapon from their flat and come back for me. I somehow managed to shake the guy off and quickly reverse my car and get out of the culde sac.

The final straw that made me hang my driving gloves permanently was when I was earning peanuts as a then Trainee Accountant and I had just imported my then wife and baby boy from Naija and my salary was not enough for 3 and so every Friday night, I would go to night clubs at night and ask people leaving if they wanted a cab like many immigrants did in those days. Unknown to me, one particular night, the first passengers I picked were undercover cops (male and female in mufti).

The minute they entered my car and I moved, na police siren I hear for my back and before I could say Jack Robinson, handcuffs don enter baba hand and they started reading me my rights. I spent the next 4 hours for cell and I was charged to court for an offence called "touting" (as no cab driver is allowed to approach a customer for a job in the streets of the UK).For cabs and Uber, it has to be pre-booked by the customer and for black cabs, they are the only ones that customers can wave at and they will stop and pick them due to their special status. Their knowledge exams of the streets in their patch takes around 2 years or more to pass.

Before the court date, my fellow Naija "touts" advised me to lie to the judge that I did not approach the customers in the street but my cab office sent me to pick them. Thank God I did not listen to them and i told the judge the truth that I was struggling to survive on my £700 a month accountant salary especially since I just brought my then wife and baby boy from Nigeria and all i was looking for by doing the "touting" was just a few pounds to use in buying food for my family over the weekend.

The judge said he thought I was going to lie and he had made up his mind that if I lied to him, he would have fined me £800 and given me penalty points on my license but because I told him the truth, I should go and sin no more and just pay £25 court costs BUT he warned me to desist from it for 2 years 'cos if I was nabbed doing the same thing within 2 years, he would then fine me £800 and given me penalty points on my license.

The judge also told my lawyer to write to my then Accounting firm employer that if they sacked me, he was going to be cross with them because all in all, i was just trying to feed my young family. But I later told my lawyer not to bother writing to my employer.

Another danger faced in my student days of mini cabbing was when I had just brought my 7 month old son and my Ex from Naija to London and to make extra money, I borrowed my brothers extra car and went on a long mini cab shift lasting 60 hours (2 and a half days) without sleep (in those days you had to put in the hours to make anything from mini cabbing) and on the way home after the 60 hour shift I started feeling sleepy and I wound down my windows so that the winter cold will keep me awake as I was only 20 minutes or so from home.

What saved my life was that the Met police stopped me just as I was approaching the entrance to Rotherhite tunnel and asked me to put on my seat belt which I did.
As I exited the East London end of the tunnel and turned right towards Stratford, I dozed off for a split second and crashed the "borrowed" car into the central road divider. I was not injured but the car was a write off (although UK write off is not as serious as Naija one). The police came and called an ambulance and I was certified fine at the hospital.

The police later charged me to court for "driving without due care and attention" 'cos in their summation, the minute I started feeling sleepy, I should have pulled over, reclined my seat and slept for a while instead of carrying on driving. I was fined £250 at the court and had 6 penalty points docked from my license.

Today's London is now so dangerous with stabbings almost every day that Uber or mini cab driving is not a job for the faint hearted.

Talking of the so called wife I imported from Naija and was trying to feed with those mini cab jobs that either landed me in hospital or in court, she has now turned my 2 children against me as we speak although they are no longer kids but young adults but you know say for UK, pikin no too get sense like Naija pikin 'cos for the latter, its hard to turn their minds against their father but for UK, its the easiest thing for a woman to do.

But then again, shit happens and you just learn to live with it 'cos for UK, it is pointless dragging kids with a woman although they are no longer kids now BUT the relationship has been damaged beyond repair and I see them as strangers and I suppose they see me as a stranger too as we have lived apart for quite a while now. Although I still lend a financial helping hand to the younger one whenever its needed although a friend says that I am wasting my money.
Omo ur story long o, assuming you were in Nigeria you will still have your family by your side maybe doing a business or career to keep body and soul together, I don’t know why this divorce/ separation cases are common abroad, even the same happened to my uncle in germany, its well man, keep the hope alive

1 Like

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by pafun(m): 1:13pm On Apr 19
2023Blessed:
He failed to train you properly, else you won't be calling random strangers on the internet "ode" because it's a faceless forum. Do you know if I am older than your father?

As long as God lives, every male child in your family including you will labour for the rest of their lives but will remain in perpetual poverty. As for the females, they will never escape obscurity.

Next time, you will guard that your loose tongue and itchy fingers that you think you can just use to insult strangers without offence. Other sane people quoted me with sensible response but you chose to start yours with "Ode". I repeat that your wretched useless father is an ode for bringing up a nuisance as you. Animal

Ah Ode! You even bring in all members of my family too? What have they done to you? Talk to me man to man. It is that wicked god that you call upon that will certainly become your undoing. Mark my words I say you will remember this day for the rest of your life.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Weknowbetter: 2:30pm On Apr 19
Do you know this incident was caused by a scammer? The scammer sent the woman to pick up money they had demanded from the old guy. She didn't know that, she was just trying to work a job for uber. Her fear and pleading for her life makes me sick. The scammer and this white man (who should have called the cops) need to rot in jail. Were these scammers Nigerian? Ruining lives and causing deaths of grannies now
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by 2023Blessed: 3:44pm On Apr 19
pafun:

Ah Ode! You even bring in all members of my family too? What have they done to you? Talk to me man to man. It is that wicked god that you call upon that will certainly become your undoing. Mark my words I say you will remember this day for the rest of your life.
Ori baba e ti gbale.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Ezini(f): 4:51pm On Apr 19
carzeem1:
Same America some Nigerians paint as heaven. 61 year old woman still hustling uber to feed.
It's not easy any where country men.

Make ur country work for you.

That’s is just the plain truth

1 Like

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Advancedman(m): 6:05pm On Apr 19
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by ipassu: 6:36pm On Apr 19
dopedan:

Omo ur story long o, assuming you were in Nigeria you will still have your family by your side maybe doing a business or career to keep body and soul together, I don’t know why this divorce/ separation cases are common abroad, even the same happened to my uncle in germany, its well man, keep the hope alive

Bro @Ilekokonit you've really been through alot, seems I may be having same issues as my wife has started acting up this feminist scripts, considering moving my family back to Nigeria as soon as an opportunity presents. Don't think I'll be able to survive if my children turn against me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Ilekokonit: 8:24pm On Apr 19
ipassu:
Bro @Ilekokonit you've really been through alot, seems I may be having same issues as my wife has started acting up this feminist scripts, considering moving my family back to Nigeria as soon as an opportunity presents. Don't think I'll be able to survive if my children turn against me

Good luck with getting your wife to agree to return permanently to Naija or to allow you take your her kids back to Naija especially if you are in the UK.

There are many cases where kids have been extradited back to the UK from foreign countries and their Dad charged with child kidnap because the wife complained to UK police that he took her kids abroad permanently without her permission.
Re: 81-Year-Old Ohio Man Shoots Uber Driver Over Scam Allegations (Video) by Ilekokonit: 9:21pm On Apr 19
ipassu:
Bro @Ilekokonit you've really been through a lot.

You just have to grin and bear it. Thank God for London Beer Parlours where I've spent a fortune in these past few years although its money well spent because at least I still have my sanity in the face of it all. In fact now I am so militant that I have actually blocked my Ex and our her 2 kids on my phone just to choose when I want to and when I don't want to talk to the kids young adults 'cos if they are going to be winding me up by calling me out of the blues and then start defending their Mum if I mention anything about her then they might as well not even call me and I've let them know that I like having my space and may not want to talk to them at times.

As it is, I came back from Naija in 2008 and since then I don't know where they live and they don't know where I live even though they live in London just like I do but when they were younger, I could excuse them for being influenced by their Mum but now that they are adults and have both finished Uni, then they have no excuse for their behavior.

My Dad died in 2019 and I came to Naija for the burial. Since 2019 till date, my 2 kids have not even said sorry Dad for your loss and I told my Ex the Day my Dad died but she did not deem it fit to tell our kids to extend their condolences to their dad But my son told me when we last met up at a Train Station that when his Mums Dad died, he footed half of the funeral expenses allotted to his Mum.

I just dey look them dey laugh dey give them long rope and because I was brought up by a Dad who will never impose his will on you, I will just allow them to do whatever they think is good in their own minds and although its painful to say the least but I've got to focus on keeping my job and my sanity as those are my priorities for now and since they have shown me that I am not a priority to them then good luck to them. All I owe them is prayers and maybe financial help when I feel they need it.

Last time my daughter called me it got to a stage that I told her to ask some of her friends who have Yoruba Dad's if this was the way they treated their own dads and she didn't like that. My son on the other hand became a politician the minute I went to Naija to open a restaurant and on my return to London 2 years later, I could see in his eyes that he was going to side with his Mum 200% to ensure I did not return to live under the same roof as them because he knew that I am a strict parent who will not tolerate any nonsense from him.

Can you imagine a situation where your own wife tells you in front of your then 10 year old son who you were about to discipline that IF you dare touch that boy, I will call the police ??

I'm even thankful that she ensured I did not live with them after my return from Naija 'cos if I had lived with them, maybe she would have roped me and I will be in prison now and then she can then honestly claim the single parent money from the Government which was the beginning of the end of the marriage when I initially went to Naija for business reasons in 2004 for 2 months and she took that opportunity to "lie" to the authorities that I had abandoned them which was 100% lies.

She even went to the extent of coaching my then 3 year old daughter that her daddy has abandoned her and she later told me that the oyinbo nursery worker a grandmother I was paying £600 monthly to look after our her daughter corrected her and told her never to tell a 3 year old that her father has abandoned her and that she knows me and can vouch that I will not abandon the little girl.

But my ex did this so that if the Oyinbo authorities go behind her back to question the kids about whether their Dad lives with them, the kids will tell them that their daddy has abandoned them and so the free flow of single parent money will continue flowing unabated into my Ex's bank account.

There was a day I called my daughters school to ask if she had been to school and they told me that they have instructions from my wife not to entertain anyone else apart from her when it comes to my daughters issue. This na woman wey I carry go London give British passport o and paid £100 per hour to a Barrister to get her settlement visa approved after she was first denied.

At times, I think her being denied a visa at first was a sign from God that she was not for me and I should just have brought the 7 month old boy to the UK and left her in Naija as the UK embassy had already stamped my son onto my UK pali (still allowable then) but I would not have felt comfortable separating a mother and her 7 month old son.

If no be say Naija na different kettle of fish finance wise, I would have come back to Naija permanently again but Naija is not smiling at the moment.

On returning to London in 2008, I was lucky to meet an older Nigerian co tenant in a bed and breakfast I stayed temporarily and she told me that she is also a woman and that when a woman is behaving the way my ex was doing then she is intentionally trying to destabilize my finances and that I should just focus on getting a good job and not worry too much about my Ex's antics.

Thank God for London beer parlours although I have stopped going for a while now as it was getting expensive as I become like a party animal anytime I leave my flat after a gruelling shift (I work from home for the past 4 years) and if one beer parlour closes at 12 midnight, I know another one that opens all night long and because I am too generous, I spend a lot of money at these joints buying drinks and food for every one present including stranger's. But I've curtailed that party mood for the past year or so. Touch wood.

I keep warning my younger brother in Naija not to venture bringing his 3 young boys to live in the UK until they are 22 and must have finished Uni in Naija 'cos if he brings them before that age, the probability that he is going to lose them to his wife and the system is 99.99%. I hope he listens.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Shot Dead In Kano 17 Days After His Wedding(photos) / Police Arrest 4 Suspects For Vandalizing Rail Tracks In Niger State (Photo) / Shola Henry: FOREX Trader Jailed 2 Years For Stealing ₦20m Cryptocurrency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.