Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,297 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships (11661 Views)

Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / Aba Residents Opt For Train Ride Due To Bad Roads: Pictures & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by AmazingGenius: 7:37am On Apr 20
The desperation by Nigerians to escape poverty and hardship that have defined their present state, and to seek greener pastures in the Western world has raised concern, following the increased number of youths who are stowing away on ships.

These youths between ages 20 and 45, who come from different parts of the country, sometimes sneak into the Lagos ports and make their way to ships preparing to set sail. They would climb up the anchor chain and hide behind a stack of crates, holding their breath as the crew cast off.

Saturday Vanguard reliably gathered that at other times, these youths would spend two to three days in coastal communities where they would monitor foreign ships leaving from the Apapa or Tin-Can Ports.

Immediately, they saw one, they would charter wooden canoes from the coastal communities, pretending to be fishermen, only to paddle behind the vessels.

These vessels are trailed to the Lagos Channel or Fairway Boy, from where these youths would sneak in, under the cover of darkness and hide themselves inside the rudder compartment of the vessels, as the ships set sail. While some of them successfully reached their destinations in Europe, luck ran against others who were arrested by eagle-eyed naval personnel .

75 stowaways arrested

Statistics released by the Nigerian Navy showed that 75 stowaways were arrested in eight months.

A breakdown of the arrest as revealed by the Director of Information, Commodore Aiwiyor Adams-Aliu , showed that five persons were arrested on the Lagos Channel in August 2023, onboard a vessel – MSC Martha; eight stowaways onboard vessel Charminar Panama, were in September 2023, at the Lagos Fairway Bouy; 11 in a vessel with the name GWANGZHOU HIGHWAY PANAMA, on the Lagos channel, in October and eight others inside a ship named NATAL on the Lagos Fairway Bouy, in November , all in 2023.

The month of December 2023 recorded the highest arrest of stowaways, with 20 persons , on three different ships: MT UOG CONSTANTINE, with 14 stowaways; a container vessel TEME with four stowaways , both on the Lagos Channel and two stowaways in a vessel named GRANDE GUINEA , on the Lagos Fairway Bouy. The statistics also revealed that in January 2024, three stowaways were arrested in the vessel- FRONT ALTIERS, on the Lagos Fairway Bouy and four on MT CHIP on the Lagos channel in the month of February.

Two arrests were made in two different ships in the month of March, with three stowaways on MT ADVANTAGE LOVE and nine on MT LYSIAS VALLETTA , while the month of April recorded arrest of four stowaways on MT PRINCESS ERIN , on the Lagos Channel.

Navy raises concern

Expressing the Nigerian Navy’s concern over the surge in cases of stowaways on Nigerian waters, its Director of Information, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, described the action as illegal.

According to him : “ For clarity, the Convention on Facilitation of International Maritime Traffic (FAL Convention) defines a stowaway as someone who is secreted on a ship, or in cargo without the consent of the shipowners or the master or any other responsible person. Migration as a stowaway is illegal, dangerous and is considered a security threat to shipowners”.

He said that the arrest of the 75 stowaways was in line with the strategic directive of the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Emmanuel Ogalla.

Commodore Adams-Aliu, said, “ the NN deployed advanced Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) equipment to vector Quick Response Teams (QRT) to all parts of Nigeria’s territorial waters. Consequently, the NN apprehended about 75 stowaways from August 2023 to April 2024.

“During the operations, the QRT carefully extracted the stowaways who had concealed themselves inside the rudder compartment of the vessels. All apprehended stowaways were handed over to the Nigeria Immigration Service,NIS in accordance with the established protocols for further necessary action.

“The NN wishes to enlighten the general public on the dangers of attempting to travel as a stowaway. These include severe legal consequences and significant health risks such as negative effects of harsh weather conditions, lack of food and water, injuries and even death. Hence, the NN uses this opportunity to discourage Nigerian youths from embarking on such misadventures.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/04/japa-nigerian-youths-opt-for-stowing-on-ships/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by helinues: 9:11am On Apr 20
Toh

26 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by tunwumi: 9:11am On Apr 20
Deadly!

If you can say country hard and try stowaway mode, you are not different from Boko boys that can do anything.

Life is hard, suicide is not an option.

6 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by id4sho(m): 9:12am On Apr 20
Shark food tongue tueh

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by AbuTwins: 9:12am On Apr 20
Embrace your death quickly!

He who is to receive a knock in China even if s/he has no transport will find a way to get to China and receive the knock!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by MMempire(m): 9:12am On Apr 20
Better than this shithole of a country.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by Mushmush: 9:12am On Apr 20
Useless youths. No sensible person will ever think of such

4 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by ignis: 9:12am On Apr 20
I advice youths to japa at every opportunity. Nigeria is frustrating and not youth friendly.

25 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by 2Radii: 9:12am On Apr 20
Majority of them na ojukokoro

Nobody send anybody msg

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by garriAndsugar: 9:13am On Apr 20
After shouting e go favor me and my family

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by AllenSpencer: 9:13am On Apr 20
These are the class of people who need to Japa! They have nothing to lose.

Not those who are already doing well for themselves in Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by Boland(m): 9:14am On Apr 20
When the wicked rule, the people mourn.

8 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by 2Radii: 9:15am On Apr 20
MMempire:
Why don't u follow Libya by land to escape this country since this country will never favour u and ur family and ur offsprings.

It's a good advice ooh, anything to avoid this country is welcomed even if na Burundi u go, else u will be a waste of space here as u have always been bro..I love you that is why I advice u

7 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by yemmywesey(m): 9:17am On Apr 20
If dem fit package me for cargo sef on delta flight to Atlanta,I go dey happy

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by Mummiesboy: 9:18am On Apr 20
We all as a matter of urgency will leave Nigeria because things are getting tougher day in day out

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by 2Radii: 9:18am On Apr 20
garriAndsugar:
Don't be delusional like ur likes, these are not those shouting it will favour me and my family

These are Obidients who vowed to vacate the country should bulaba emerge the winner..

Don't twist the narrative, at least have some pride grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by SpecialAdviser(m): 9:19am On Apr 20
garriAndsugar:
Comrade lower your voice. cheesy grin cheesy grin grin grin
It couldn't favour their family, they are now running for the delusion thinking favour.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 9:19am On Apr 20
helinues:
Toh

Did you see PitObi there......he wants to japa as well...
What do we do pls?
Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 9:21am On Apr 20
2Radii:
Don't be delusional like ur likes, these are not those shouting it will favour me and my family

These are Obidients who vowed to vacate the country should bulaba emerge the winner..

Don't twist the narrative, at least have some pride grin

Lols I guess you didn't read the first paragraph from the writer ....
Anyway what concerns Epin Pawa with reading....who dash you strength?

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by CartelKenneth: 9:25am On Apr 20
Nigeria is a very useless corrupt evil humaneless evil backward country
Pls get out of her while you can so that it wouldn’t happen to you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by rapheal5(m): 9:25am On Apr 20
Mushmush:
Useless youths. No sensible person will ever think of such
smh
Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by malali: 9:27am On Apr 20
WHEN YOU PUT THE FROG IN A POT OF COLD WATER.
YOU SLOWLY BOIL THE FROG BY
REMOVING FUEL SUBSIDY
REMOVING FOREX SUBSIDY
RAISING ELECTRICITY TARIFFS
WITHOUT RAISING WAGES OR CREATING JOBS.

YOU KNOW GO ON TV, TO SWEAR YOU ARE NOT MAKING STEWED FROG.
THE FROG WILL JUMP OUT OF THE POT AT THE SLIGHTEST CHANCE.

JAPA HAS NEVER BEEN THIS AUDACIOUS
THE THREE ARMS OF GOVERNMENT PRESIDENTIAL,LEGISLATIVE AND JUDICIARY ARE YET TO EVEN RECKON WITH THE BIGGEST DISASTER (LOSS OF HUMAN CAPITAL) NIGERIA IS FACING RIGHT NOW.

NOT ONE PERSON HAS DEEMED IT FIT TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND START SOLVING THE PROBLEM.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by sprints1: 9:29am On Apr 20
id4sho:
Shark food tongue tueh
shark don't eat humans... Only when you bleed
Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by AK481(m): 9:30am On Apr 20
Another risk here is if you then realised that the boat is going to China or Cambodia or even gaza and not Europe

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by owiko(m): 9:30am On Apr 20
D
Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by Dangrace01: 9:38am On Apr 20
Omo
Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by booz(m): 9:39am On Apr 20
Who's watched 'Blood Vessel'?

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by ecolime(m): 9:40am On Apr 20
MMempire:
To Japa as a stowaway is very dangerous. It's too risky and hazardous.

Your life is precious bro. It is not worth it.

5 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by Stevenson20: 9:40am On Apr 20
If you see any opportunity to japa, do not think twice about it. Nigeria is completely dead.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by Honestey: 9:41am On Apr 20
But which kine olofofo officer saw them and reported them? Instead of him to join the ship commot from country of the likes of Betta Edu and Yahaya Bello.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships by MMempire(m): 9:42am On Apr 20
2Radii:
Why don't u follow Libya by land to escape this country since this country will never favour u and ur family and ur offsprings.

It's a good advice ooh, anything to avoid this country is welcomed even if na Burundi u go, else u will be a waste of space here as u have always been bro..I love you that is why I advice u
Go and give the advice to your father that brought out the waste of a child like you to this world.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aviation Unions Besiege Aero Contractors Over Workers’ Suspension / Commercial Operations Begin On Lagos-ibadan Railway In September –NRC / RE: South African Visiting Nigeria (LAGOS) For The First Time, AMAZING!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.