Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,038 members, 7,810,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example (33822 Views)

Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships / Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by bobman22: 11:09am On Nov 17, 2022
On October 12, 2022, the Group Chief Executive Officer of Guarantee Trust Holding Company (GTCO), Dr Segun Agbaje joined a long list of members of the Nigerian political and economic elite that have shown a disconnect from the stark realities facing the masses and members of the rapidly dwindling middle class in Nigeria.

Speaking with journalists after delivering the 2022 Redeemer’s University Convocation lecture titled, “Digital Innovation Leadership: Opportunities for National Reset and Employment Generation”, at the University auditorium, Ede, Osun state on that day, Agbaje said that Nigerians had no justifiable reason to flee the country as opportunities for success abound here in Nigeria.

There are opportunities everywhere in Nigeria, I have been here for 32 years, I built my career I think these opportunities still exist and just like I said in my talk if you’re a Nigerian then you are an African I don’t think there is better place to build a future than here where you have over 200 million people, who are your people, who you don’t have to over prove yourself to, you don’t have to deal with some of the issues you’ll have to deal with in abroad.

I still think for hard-working people this is where the opportunities are, I don’t think youths should be leaving this country. Look at the University, it is a seed for the future, opportunities abound everywhere,” Agbaje, who is a billionaire, to have said.

Truth be told, Agbaje is not alone in this warped thinking that the average Nigerian, who has a reputation for being longsuffering and sanguine, endured excruciating and sometimes humiliating visa application processes, saved up millions, and left their families and friends behind to journey to a faraway land on a whim.

Former Governor of Ogun State, Senator Ibikunle Amosun expressed a similar sentiment in a viral interview granted to BBC Yoruba around the same time as Agbaje’s comment.

He called the developed nations granting visas to Nigerians seeking greener pastures abroad “wicked”.

“The visa that they (countries) were not issuing before, is what they are deliberately issuing to them now. They will give to their wives. All their (visa applicants’) children, they will ask them to bring them over. You will see that those countries issuing the residence permits, I see it as being deliberately wicked to u,” Amosun had said.

Amosun was governor for eight years, between 2011 and 2019. Before then, he was a senator between 2003 and 2007. Since 2019, he has returned to the senate, and could be there for a very long time since there is no term limit for members of the National Assembly.

As a member of a political class benefitting from a dysfunctional Nigeria, Amosun’s rant is understandable although inexcusable. But Agbaje’s comment cuts deeper for so many reasons.

Agbaje presides over the holding company that owns GTBank, arguably Nigeria’s most famous bank among the Nigerian masses. There is hardly a branch of GTBank that is not teeming with customers every weekday.

One needs no soothsayer to know that the bank’s workers would be subjected to a higher level of stress than their counterparts in other banks as a result of the high volume of customers faced daily.
But like their counterparts in other Nigerian banks, GTBank workers earn multiple times less than their colleagues in developed nations of the world.

For a bank that pays less than N200,000 for an entry level position, which is a beggarly $285 at N700/$1 unofficial exchange rate, GTBank’s boss really ought not be schooling anyone who decides to leave Nigeria for good.

No wonder Florence Obi, a senior Nigerian bank executive, quit her job and relocated to the United Kingdom, where she is now a cleaner – sorry, health care assistant.

Even if the job is beneath her status, as many social media commentators opined when her story went viral two months ago, at least she is assured of decent pay that is commensurate with effort put in, a working society, and a safe environment without constant fear of being kidnapped by bandits or killed by armed herdsmen.

Agbaje lives and works in the posh and secure Victoria Island/Ikoyi axis of Lagos State and owns a fleet of luxury cars estimated to be no less than $1 million in value, including a Mercedes Benz Maybach S560 valued at $200,000 (approximately N140 million at N700/$1).

It is therefore deeply insulting for Agbaje to condemn any average Nigerian seeking a better life abroad when Nigeria is simply not working for them.

https://www.businesstimesng.com/japa-nigerian-elites-disconnect-from-reality-the-segun-agbaje-example/

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Thortp(m): 11:10am On Nov 17, 2022
Oga Sir, Let everyone decide on what they want.
Not everyone is after wealth or status in the society.
All some people craves for is simply rest of mind, considering the high level of insecurity in the country.
A presidential convoy was attacked in Nigeria for God's sake.

I see many people leaving in droves even to neighbouring African countries if Nigeria's situation remains the same after a year from now.

Modified:
Will the bank executive turned cleaner remains like that forever?

Now consider this. Just a day headline in a country

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by olasaad(f): 11:11am On Nov 17, 2022
The question is where are your children sir Are they also in Redeemer's University or Obafemi Awolowo University grin

187 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Pierocash(m): 11:27am On Nov 17, 2022
.People like you are the reasons young Nigerians don't think they can make it in Nigeria.

What Agbaje pointed out is nothing but the truth. How will a bank executive resign her position and relocated to become a health care assistant and all you could do is to justify it by saying she earns a decent pay. What kind of life is she living there and how much does she earns? You are talking of fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram, those people running away from Nigeria are not even in there region of bandits and Boko Haram,these are Southerners using Boko Haram as the excuse to japa only to end up with lower standard of living,while those who are directly affected are not even considering japa as an option.

People tend to use exchange rate to measure wealth,but you are wrong. Exchange rate is not and indices to measure standard of living. You measure standard of living using what is called PPP(Purchasing price/power parity). That is what is used to determine standard of living not exchange rate. There are people in Nigeria here who have never touched dollar or pounds in their life ,but have higher standard of living that so many of their counter parts abroad.

Quit this your japa mentality and build yourself here,there is honey and gold in Nigeria here. You can't convince someone like me to japa,I will rather go there to invest and return home just to spread my business nothing more.

I stand with Agbaje.

107 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Michaeljames22: 8:52am On Nov 18, 2022
Everyone feels their opinion is right

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Ejiakusmith(m): 12:41pm On Nov 18, 2022
when you eventually japa to another country ..... remember you will be made second hand citizen their

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Brendaniel: 12:42pm On Nov 18, 2022
It is well...

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by szczescie(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
Tell them please, Most Advise has its targeted audience oh.

Look, If you are a billionaire or a multimillionaire as in you earn millions per month PLEASE don’t leave Nigeria.

I have worked and schooled all over Nigeria in bank, law firms, federal and state government levels and as a lawyer I can tell you if you are rich or you have connections you can talk, buy or beg your way out of jail, out of tax, out of most small and medium every day problems and even more, you can get away with a lot. Life is easier for you in Nigeria you can pay to cut lines in bank and cut corners in most places, protocols bend for you.

That is why Agbaje and his likes Will say NO NEED TO LEAVE NIGERIA he is right but it’s only For him and those in his financial bracket.

But for me and you on naira land the everyday normal, average salary earner who doesn’t have phone numbers of Governors, Ministers, IG of police on their phone, who has no money for ransom saved somewhere in case, for us who earn peanuts I mean you earn less than 250k a month for working full time 6am to 6pm (plus hold up) and the fact that even your spare time belongs to your boss or job based on respect for those in authority and elder and no job anywhere, everyone wants your job. So you go out of your way to add jara just to please your boss. It’s our culture. And despite all that your rent takes up half or more than half of your salary. Hmmm…. Agbaje’s Advise is not for us oh

People like you and me can FLEE (but please do it legally don’t go through desert you may end up paying those Libyans millions of naira to free you from their cells. And that’s even if you survive the Sahara desert. So please flee but do it legally and be ready to work hard as hard as you’ve been working in Naija things will go well for you just remove shame from your eye and be willing to work. You will be respected and you will be paid well and on time.

No mind agbaje and his likes, his advice is for those in his financial bracket.

99 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by ednut1(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
These people have their assets abroad and their kids all have dual nationality. So make we the average people no aspire for such too . Currently in Nigeria and i can see wetin dey sup. All the girls are now into hookup while the guys are left with dispatch riding or uber. Una dey crase. If you go to gtb to give you loan the requirements self ehn

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by dazzlingd(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
One hell of a CEO, I’m sure more than half of his work force has resigned.
Baba is pained, looking for cheap labor he can maltreat

63 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by moscow007: 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
He should've used the energy to advise his kinsmen not to vote for a criminal and renowned drug Lord...to avoid wasting their votes.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
Like he wants Nigerians to be banned from travelling abroad for opportunities and getting foreign citizenship.
Yet he schooled in the university of San Francisco and Kent Academy. Wicked man angry

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by AntiTerrorist: 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by vastolord4(m): 12:43pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:
.People like you are the reasons young Nigerians don't think they can make it in Nigeria.

What Agbaje pointed out is nothing but the truth. How will a bank executive resign her position and relocated to become a health care assistant and all you could do is to justify it by saying she earns a decent pay. What kind of life is she living there and how much does she earns? You are talking of fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram, those people running away from Nigeria are not even in there region of bandits and Boko Haram,these are Southerners using Boko Haram as the excuse to japa only to end up with lower standard of living,while those who are directly affected are not even considering japa as an option.

People tend to use exchange rate to measure wealth,but you are wrong. Exchange rate is not and indices to measure standard of living. You measure standard of living using what is called PPP(Purchasing price/power parity). That is what is used to determine standard of living not exchange rate. There are people in Nigeria here who have never touched dollar or pounds in their life ,but have higher standard of living that so many of their counter parts abroad.

Quit this your japa mentality and build yourself here,there is honey and gold in Nigeria here. You can't convince someone like me to japa,I will rather go there to invest and return home just to spread my business nothing more.

I stand with Agbaje.

Would you like to relocate outside Africa?

5 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by fredoooooo: 12:44pm On Nov 18, 2022
The hypocrisy of Nigerians is alarming when the subjects isn't in their favor ,but when if favor their selfish interests, They will defend the topics differently
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by MorolayoVictor(m): 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2022
Okie
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Whois(m): 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2022
100 percent
fredoooooo:
Hypocrisy

4 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by obedience4(m): 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:

I stand with Agbaje.

Dose his childrens attends public Nigerian universities

11 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Rebuke: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2022
Smh. When they are privileged, they will start condemning or looking for a way to block those who aren't as privileged as they are from taking actions or looking for a way to to better their lives. If Nigeria has provided or presented the same privilege to everyone, I bet most people will not think of going out of this country.

One question to ask is, where does he and his likes go for medical treatment?

Baba, keep your advise to yhurself and leave people to decide on what works for them abeg.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by dazzlingd(m): 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:

I stand with Agbaje.

Abeg which bank executive resigned.
Do you know who a bank executive is? I doubt a whole bank executive will resign to do home care job

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by franchasng: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2022
Since Nigerian youths refused to have sense and say no to political tribalism that only favors the elites of their tribe, I have no pity for an average Nigerian suffering the ills of bad government in Nigeria today because it seems Nigerians deserve the corrupt, insensitive leaders they have undecided

8 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by scribble: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2022
007?

Segun Agbaje na James Bond?
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by scribble: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:

I stand with Agbaje.

Segun dey chop Nigeria money na

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Chevrolet076(m): 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2022
bobman22:

https://www.businesstimesng.com/japa-nigerian-elites-disconnect-from-reality-the-segun-agbaje-example/

They are always quick to say opportunity is everywhere while blaming people as being lazy whereas they're the one's "eating the hardwork of people ".

Even some of those dunce in government too who are obviously the reason Nigeria is the way it currently is will still blame the government. Who then the f()CK us the government...?

7 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by aycapri(m): 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2022
Someone asked where are his children l

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by RedpillAnalyst: 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2022
We have the Elites, Rich, wealthy, the normies and the poor.

Agbaje was born into the elite rich class and it is easy for him to spew nonsense.

18 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Brunosamel(m): 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2022
See the hypocrisy, you want Nigerians to stay behind and suffer in the hands of APC government when they have opportunity for a better life abroad.
If I have have opportunities to leave I this country I'm not considering coming back until I see some real changes a bag rice is 40k+ more expensive than some people two months salaries. Insecurity, kidnapping, inflation, nepotism, tribalism, and injustice.

You want me to stay behind and suffer where as I can be making peanut abroad and be able to cater my basic necessity without baggage, I save and invest the little I can and work on bigger opportunities.

7 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by idnole4(m): 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2022
olasaad:
The question is where are your children sir Are they also in Redeemer's University or Obafemi Awolowo University grin

Elite hypocrisy! His kids are probably schooling in the UK or US.

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Six People Killed As Car Collides With Truck On Lagos - Ibadan Road (Graphic!) / Poland Or Germany Or Canada, Which One's Best? / Nigerian Lady Reportedly Denied Australian Visa Due To Homophobic Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.