Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

She Was Duped Of N20,000 - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / She Was Duped Of N20,000 (18157 Views)

How I Was Duped Yesterday! Nairalanders Please Help / Lady Duped Of N482K With Fake Alert / Married Side Chic Duped Of N850k By Her Married Lover In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Soliddust3030: 3:00pm On Apr 24
seborrhic:

POS prints receipts,so how would this scam have been possible?
Also some terminals even have a voice note telling you how much has entered and gone out of your account, immediately a transaction is made.So again, how would this scam have been possible?

bro this is an old scam, they used it 3 PoS vendors in my area. Scam format always look stupid and funny until it happens to someone close to you.

1 Like

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Holluwhakemmy(f): 3:01pm On Apr 24
edogu:

Probably it happened but couldn't get the explanation clearly from the attendant. Few days ago, there was similar story that made it at the front page of nairaland.

If you are a POS attendant, or your business requires the use of POS for transactions just be very careful. Lots of criminals are moving around looking for whom to defraud.
Probably he actually watched the video there is one woman narrating her ordeal with the three guys he couldn't explain it well. I still have the video on my WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by OVB123: 3:02pm On Apr 24
nifemi25:
It seems this is the new scam in town now... They almost scammed a POS agent closer to my house yesterday.... As the lady told us... She said they are 3 in number on the bike... The two at the back came down to meet the pos agent while the bike man was sitting on the bike... She said the guy wanted to withdraw 51000k including the 1k charges.. the pos agent press 5he 51k on the terminal while she handed the terminal to the guy to press his pin for 5he transaction to be finalized.... This guy just removed one of the four zeros the lady typed on the pos to make it 5100.... He then press the pin and the transaction was successful and writing on the screen.... Most of the machines like opay and monie point doesnt display the amount after successful transaction.... It will only write successful on the screen.... The lady just went straight to the transaction on his own opay app to check and that's when she found out it was 5100 and not 51000.... Immediately those guys knew what was going on... They couldn't wait to collect 5he card and the said cash.... They ran with the bike man
Nigeria is a home of criminals. I'm not shock by your story.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by BiGVEEN58(m): 3:04pm On Apr 24
nifemi25:
It seems this is the new scam in town now... They almost scammed a POS agent closer to my house yesterday.... As the lady told us... She said they are 3 in number on the bike... The two at the back came down to meet the pos agent while the bike man was sitting on the bike... She said the guy wanted to withdraw 51000k including the 1k charges.. the pos agent press 5he 51k on the terminal while she handed the terminal to the guy to press his pin for 5he transaction to be finalized.... This guy just removed one of the four zeros the lady typed on the pos to make it 5100.... He then press the pin and the transaction was successful and writing on the screen.... Most of the machines like opay and monie point doesnt display the amount after successful transaction.... It will only write successful on the screen.... The lady just went straight to the transaction on his own opay app to check and that's when she found out it was 5100 and not 51000.... Immediately those guys knew what was going on... They couldn't wait to collect 5he card and the said cash.... They ran with the bike man
they played my sister with this one. 20,000

1 Like

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Holluwhakemmy(f): 3:05pm On Apr 24
Damian911:
You're right
His cock and bull story is invalid!
There is one video one woman posted concerning this POS scammer he watched the video and narrated it
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by emelda86(f): 3:15pm On Apr 24
All POS agent suppose to be extremely careful, one young guy came and did fake transfer and he thought I'm some of those young and naive operators his plans failed because I no send you if I no see my money for my app.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by warlordd(m): 3:15pm On Apr 24
KingTom:

Most of them are too greedy, bastards don't want to buy terminal paper for their machines and this is what they get
Mini or manual pos does not print receipts.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by capnies: 3:19pm On Apr 24
BeigJawnson:

Do you have a terminal? If you have I don't believe you will be the one saying this

I HAVE A TERMINAL
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by 3kay945(m): 3:27pm On Apr 24
Naija guys think they are smart by devising different evil ways of stealing from their fellow hustlers. Which kind people are we

Politicians will embezzled money meant for the masses and be feeling like big boys.

Big boys control nuclear weapons and technology grin

When I saw the way missiles were fired and countered recently by Isreal and Iran. I lost the little regards I have for our politicians. They are bunch of thieves and nothing more.

Thieves everywhere intimidating the less privileged

1 Like

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Caleycash(m): 3:28pm On Apr 24
Damian911:
You're right
Some doesn't give receipt and even though not everyone's attention will be drawn to that
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by BeigJawnson(m): 3:37pm On Apr 24
capnies:

I HAVE A TERMINAL

Okay ...
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by truthhurts2: 3:38pm On Apr 24
millionboi:
how much is paper kwanu?
Regardless, it's not free
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by joseph1832(m): 3:41pm On Apr 24
edogu:
This morning I went to a POS attendant to make a withdrawal and in the process she narrated to me how she was duped of N20,000.

According to her, a young man ( probably early 20s or less) approached her to make a withdrawal of N20,000. After inserting his ATM card into the POS machine, she returned the machine for him to insert his PIN. The transaction was successful with an inscription "withdrawal approved" written on the POS screen. At this point, there was nothing suspicious about the transaction. She counted the money and gave the young man.

How did she find out?

Well, when the young man left, another customer came to make a withdrawal using First Bank ATM, she discovered that there was no network. If that's the case, according to her, how then did the first person succed (the first person equally came with First bank ATM) when there's no network at all.

The above scenario prompted her to check her transaction history. Unfortunately, there was no trace of initial transaction (N20,000). Instead what she saw on the history was a message that the first person has exceeded his limit. Which means the transaction wasn't actually successful but the young man manipulated the machine to look so. At this point, the young man has gone to God knows where. May be to try his luck on another ignorant attendant.

According to woman, she has never had this kind of experience. There's no trace of withdrawal but the transaction was successful from the indication on the POS screen.

The guy even bought boxers worth N3000 from the attendant using the same money.

Here comes my question?
How was he able to maneuver or manipulate the POS machine for the " withdrawal approved" message to come up? Mehn, one really need to be careful especially in this difficult moment.
which bank POS is she using?
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by millionboi(m): 3:42pm On Apr 24
truthhurts2:

Regardless, it's not free
it's almost free compare to what you will make before it finished.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by truthhurts2: 3:43pm On Apr 24
emelda86:
All POS agent suppose to be extremely careful, one young guy came and did fake transfer and he thought I'm some of those young and naive operators his plans failed because I no send you if I no see my money for my app.
You fvcked up oo, you don't suppose to let him leave, race alarm let him chop some beating then after hand him over to the popo. Because, as his plan failed with you, he go go try his luck somewhere else
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by truthhurts2: 3:45pm On Apr 24
millionboi:
it's almost free compare to what you will make before it finished.
I understand you though
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by NoSmoking: 3:46pm On Apr 24
edogu:

That's the question. The transaction was successful but there's no trace of that N20,000 in the transaction history. The second customer couldn't make any withdrawal because of network challenges. But both the first and second customer make use of the same of bank, so how come the first transaction was successful. That was prompted her to check the transaction history and there's no trace of the money but there's a statement linked to the first customer in the transaction history "limit exceeded". If the limited has been exceeded, what happened? Was the machine manipulated? Well, like someone pointed out earlier, it could be due to network glitch. On the screen the transaction is successful, but in reality it's no so. If that's the case, who should take the blame? The attendant, customer or the bank?

Since there was no network

It couldn't have shown limit exceeded
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by herich(m): 3:48pm On Apr 24
Damian911:
You're right

Most positive operators that I know don't use POS paper,,, once it shows successful/approved on the screen,, they'll issue you your money.
Maybe they're trying to save cost/ minimize usage of paper, so that it last for them. in order to save cost and make use of paper,,, when only necessary.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by herich(m): 3:51pm On Apr 24
seborrhic:

Also some terminals even have a voice note telling you how much has entered and gone out of your account, immediately a transaction is made.So again, how would this scam have been possible?
Most positive operators that I know don't use POS paper,,, once it shows successful/approved on the screen,, they'll issue you your money.
Maybe they're trying to save cost/ minimize usage of paper, so that it last for them. in order to save cost and make use of paper,,, when only necessary.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Treasure17(m): 3:56pm On Apr 24
nifemi25:
Very common. Reason it's advisable to check your app before you release cash. Once the customer hold on to the terminal for too long. Endeavour to check the app for confirmation. I keep saying it, 99% of Nigerians are criminal minded.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Treasure17(m): 3:59pm On Apr 24
seborrhic:

Most agents hardly print out again. I really don't see how this is possible though except the customer edit the amount.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by KingTom(m): 4:00pm On Apr 24
warlordd:

Mini or manual pos does not print receipts.
Thermal printer dey bros, leave lamba. Be like you no know say boys dey para, na when dem teargas you, na hin you go sabi body grin
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by vickydevoka(m): 4:02pm On Apr 24
edogu:

Hmmm. In other words, if she had failed to check the transaction history, they wouldn't have scammed her.
Read again

1 Like

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by UTEWUOJO: 4:06pm On Apr 24
KingTom:

Most of them are too greedy, bastards don't want to buy terminal paper for their machines and this is what they get

Exactly my point, none of these POS attendants that I have patronized since the beginning of this year gave me receipt. They will tell you no problem that the transaction is approved, apparently they don't want to buy paper again.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by UTEWUOJO: 4:09pm On Apr 24
seborrhic:

How many of them issue receipts these days? Since the beginning of this year, I haven't gotten a transaction receipt from any POS shop. They will tell you that the transaction is approved now that what else is the issue? Obviously they don't want to spend on paper again.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Vecta5: 4:10pm On Apr 24
seborrhic:

Many POS operators deliberately don't print receipts cos they don't want to buy paper...
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by seborrhic: 4:16pm On Apr 24
UTEWUOJO:

How many of them issue receipts these days? Since the beginning of this year, I haven't gotten a transaction receipt from any POS shop. They will tell you that the transaction is approved now that what else is the issue? Obviously they don't want to spend on paper again.
Ok,now I get.
Like some things in life,they may be getting away with it until you suffer a major loss arising from not printing out transaction.
From what you said it seems not printing out receipts is now the norm for all the street and shop POS agents
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Treasure17(m): 4:18pm On Apr 24
UTEWUOJO:

Even the bigger companies of this world are cutting cost not to talk of POS operators. What's the essence of giving out receipts when in reality the customer tear it up in your presence? Is that not a waste? Reason the app is there for you to confirm every transaction. Once the person hold on to the terminal for too long, confirm the status of the transaction via your mobile app except the agent lacks patience at the detriment of his or her business though.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by Psoul(m): 4:19pm On Apr 24
seborrhic:

The story he told her is real. It has been happening. I have POS outlets and we have experience that kind of attempts.

That is why I make sure that the POS device keypad sound is activated.

When you're in handed the device to input your PIN and the key beeps more that 4 times, they will collect the device from you, cancel the transaction and State it afresh. Once you hear more that 4 beep sounds, you should suspect that person. If the transaction has already started before he hands over your POS back to you, check you History before handing over any cash.

As for your question. Most vendors do not bother to recheck the amount in the printout before giving out the cash cos they beliv that the amount they entered is correct without them knowing that it can be altered.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by emelda86(f): 4:22pm On Apr 24
truthhurts2:

You fvcked up oo, you don't suppose to let him leave, race alarm let him chop some beating then after hand him over to the popo. Because, as his plan failed with you, he go go try his luck somewhere else
u can't never know he is a thief, he suggested that I give him 10k that he's in a hurry I told him Upe!!! Give me your acct if I see it I'll send back.
Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by emelda86(f): 4:27pm On Apr 24
Psoul:

The story he told her is real. It has been happening. I have POS outlets and we have experience that kind of attempts.

That is why I make sure that the POS device keypad sound is activated.

When you're in handed the device to input your PIN and the key beeps more that 4 times, they will collect the device from you, cancel the transaction and State it afresh. Once you hear more that 4 beep sounds, you should suspect that person. If the transaction has already started before he hands over your POS back to you, check you History before handing over any cash.

As for your question. Most vendors do not bother to recheck the amount in the printout before giving out the cash cos they beliv that the amount they entered is correct without them knowing that it can be altered.
gbam!!! if I hand my POS over to you and you waste time sorry ooo...I must check var no 2ways about it.

1 Like

Re: She Was Duped Of N20,000 by KingTom(m): 4:31pm On Apr 24
UTEWUOJO:

Exactly my point, none of these POS attendants that I have patronized since the beginning of this year gave me receipt. They will tell you no problem that the transaction is approved, apparently they don't want to buy paper again.
You know ball my brother, greed us the surest way to getting scammed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Survivors Of Zakibiam Attack Receiving Treatment In Hospital (Photos) / Generator Thief Caught And Beaten Mercilessly In Portharcourt (Photos) / Ondo Kidnappers Sleep Off, Chief Ojo Ajaguna Escapes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.