Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,867 members, 7,862,894 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:31 AM

Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? (6777 Views)

Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money / Hurricane Sandy: Will Nigeria Learn From The Emergency Response Plan Of USA? / What A Country Lesotho Is, Can Nigeria Learn From Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Areosapien(f): 7:30am On Nov 21, 2011
LOL! Has anyone else noticed how Patriot2 neatly ignores KoboJunkie and her ramblings, even when she poses statements directly at him? grin

Hehehe. Kpele.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by jason123: 10:00am On Nov 21, 2011
I hope the idi.ot that shout "divide Nigeria" and "WAR 24/7" blah blah can watch this video?! Most of these boys are based in US and UK but shout as if they are in Nigeria. Bunch of Anofias and Odes.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Chongaiman: 10:31am On Nov 21, 2011
^^^
What's even more pathetic is that their leaders and representathieves are united in plundering the nation's commonwealth while they futilely shout themselves hoarse about divisions and break ups.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 21, 2011
Hello people, I appreciated reading some of your comments, and I really don't understand why some people who hate Nigeria are posting here. Some other people seem to say : "Nigeria keep being raped by the west, and don't even think of complaining talkless of regaining back your freedom". These traitors are mostly living in Europe or America or are getting something out of the constant destruction of nigeria by the west. I have seen them. Me I live in France because my dad was involved in a foiled coup against a corrupt regime, so we had to live our dear country.
Now I have double citizenship ( french and nigerian), but my loyalty goes to the land of my ancestors and my blood relatives. And one day I will be coming back to my real country. Some people here have lost their pride or never had it, they are so insecured and think the west will reject them if Nigeria starts claiming what belongs to Nigerians. I am not one of them. Now I have to go and read. God bless Africa, and God bless Nigeria.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 21, 2011
OAM4J:

Whao! So much to learn. I am more pained by the atrocities the people of Serra Leaone committed against each others. ECOMOG might have stopped the way but not on a clean slate.
And the most painful part of the whole story is that nothing was gained or achieved by the war, the several thousands that died and amputated, and the millions that were displaced suffered in vain cos the real motive of the war remained unfulfilled for "[b]The richness of the country is still in the hands of foreign corporations
sad cry
Something for the tribal Warlords to think about.[/b]

A lot of the war mongers on NL will do well to reflect on your post up there, as it sums up the resultant outcome succintly.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
Actually the rebels wanted to exploit their own people. Thwir claims to want to rid sierra leone of foreign invasion and control was a ploy to get support from the ppl of salone however their actions and brutality told otherwise. So they went to plan b if you would and resulted to brutal force which was to manipulate and drug up child soldiers who would then commit atrocities in the name of the Ruf and Charles taylor of liberias movement. The sole purpose of both organizations as foday sankoh and c.taylors commanders admitted in the truth and reconciliation meetings and trials of taylor, was to put both men in power of their respective countries. This was proven when for a breif moment the RUF aimed to become a political party and would chop off the hands of ppl to keep them from voting for the opposition.

Regardless of their purpose or mission, mutilating and abusing your fellow man to get your voice heard makes you far worse than your gov.t and oppressors combined. The LRA, NPFL, RUF, Boko Harram, etc and evem the governments they claim to oppose are all the representations of the very cancer killing any chance of unity in africa which is greed and the using of ppls emotions for personal gain.

btw readers sorry for the typos. . . tongue stupid touch screen. angry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2011
Well, needed 2 sleep after just 2mins into documentary. Ermm, wat kind of peeps were does? na wa o! I have always said neo-colonial syndrome is the disease Africa suffers. This Sierra Leone is old news becos Libya is even more current. This will just keep happening as the power dat be seek to retain and re-establish imperialism. cry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by mukina2: 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

Actually the rebels wanted to exploit their own people. Thwir claims to want to rid sierra leone of foreign invasion and control was a ploy to get support from the ppl of salone however their actions and brutality told otherwise. So they went to plan b if you would and resulted to brutal force which was to manipulate and drug up child soldiers who would then commit atrocities in the name of the Ruf and Charles taylor of liberias movement. The sole purpose of both organizations as foday sankoh and c.taylors commanders admitted in the truth and reconciliation meetings and trials of taylor, was to put both men in power of their respective countries. This was proven when for a breif moment the RUF aimed to become a political party and would chop off the hands of ppl to keep them from voting for the opposition.

Regardless of their purpose or mission, mutilating and abusing your fellow man to get your voice heard makes you far worse than your gov.t and oppressors combined. The LRA, NPFL, RUF, Boko Harram, etc and evem the governments they claim to oppose are all the representations of the very cancer killing any chance of unity in africa which is greed and the using of ppls emotions for personal gain.

Actually Foday Sankoh (was a corporal in the SLA and  also worked for SLBS, he was a critic of the govt, he got sacked and was jailed for  a while) , when he was released he and two others went on to Libya where they started planning their own revolution, when they came back they formed  RUF, they targeted the poor, filled their heads with dreams of wealth sharing, drugged the boys and  so on.

RUF wanted  to rule, they didnt want to rid Freetown of any foreign invasion, they wanted full control of the country's natural resources,Sankoh told his supporters he wanted to share the country's wealth amongst its people. Prior to the full scale war, the country had series of coup plots, the final and most deadly war, was a counter coup, January 6 1999, Captain Gborie took over and an hour or so after Johhny Paul took over, he invited the RUF,(Sankoh was not around he was arrested somewhere,Gen Mosquito was in charge and some other 15 year old) released all the hardened criminals and they started  their own troubles. People were killed, i didnt watch the video up there, i have seen enough to last me a life time, friends,relatives,neighbours got killed, mothers were forced to be raped by their sons, fathers raped their daughters, pregnant woman had their bellies cut into, babies were amputated, people drink hot oil, wash your hands in hot oil, burnt alive, kids were taken, both boys and girls , boys to be injected to be fighters, girls to be their  wives/cooks. So many wicked stuff, the old young heck every living being even if you were sick you would be forced to join them in their routine " we want peace dance". Nasty set of people who maimed, killed and hurt lots of people in very very wicked ways  angry cry

Their theme was

'We are fighting in the battlefield we are fighting for our rights RUF is here to save Sierra Leone'

as per the political party they formed that was after the war had ended Paolo Bangura contested they didnt even win  a seat in parliament.
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Areosapien(f): 4:48pm On Nov 21, 2011
Actually Foday Sankoh (was a corporal in the SLA and also worked for SLBS, he was a critic of the govt, he got sacked and was jailed for a while) , when he was released he and two others went on to Libya where they started planning their own revolution, when they came back they formed RUF, they targeted the poor, filled their heads with dreams of wealth sharing, drugged the boys and so on.

RUF wanted to rule, they didnt want to rid Freetown of any foreign invasion, they wanted full control of the country's natural resources,Sankoh told his supporters he wanted to share the country's wealth amongst its people. Prior to the full scale war, the country had series of coup plots, the final and most deadly war, was a counter coup, January 6 1999, Captain Gborie took over and an hour or so after Johhny Paul took over, he invited the RUF,(Sankoh was not around he was arrested somewhere,Gen Mosquito was in charge and some other 15 year old) released all the hardened criminals and they started their own troubles. People were killed, i didnt watch the video up there, i have seen enough to last me a life time, friends,relatives,neighbours got killed, mothers were forced to be violated by their sons, fathers violated their daughters, pregnant woman had their bellies cut into, babies were amputated, people drink hot oil, wash your hands in hot oil, burnt alive, kids were taken, both boys and girls , boys to be injected to be fighters, girls to be their wives/cooks. So many wicked stuff, the old young heck every living being even if you were sick you would be forced to join them in their routine " we want peace dance". Nasty set of people who maimed, killed and hurt lots of people in very very wicked ways

cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Bliss how is SL's ordeal "old news"? Just as in the court of law in America, a murder has no statute of limitations, the same is the case for any crime against humanity just by nature. I don't care if someone was amputated or hurt in 1991 or 2011, it's still a human issue and has relevence today. The very men who were responsible for these atrocities were trained IN Libya. How ironic,  tongue history repeats itself and it is as we speak.

mukina2:

Actually Foday Sankoh (was a corporal in the SLA and  also worked for SLBS, he was a critic of the govt, he got sacked and was jailed for  a while) , when he was released he and two others went on to Libya where they started planning their own revolution, when they came back they formed  RUF, they targeted the poor, filled their heads with dreams of wealth sharing, drugged the boys and  so on.

RUF wanted  to rule, they didnt want to rid Freetown of any foreign invasion, they wanted full control of the country's natural resources,Sankoh told his supporters he wanted to share the country's wealth amongst its people. Prior to the full scale war, the country had series of coup plots, the final and most deadly war, was a counter coup, January 6 1999, Captain Gborie took over and an hour or so after Johhny Paul took over, he invited the RUF,(Sankoh was not around he was arrested somewhere,Gen Mosquito was in charge and some other 15 year old) released all the hardened criminals and they started  their own troubles. People were killed, i didnt watch the video up there, i have seen enough to last me a life time, friends,relatives,neighbours got killed, mothers were forced to be violated by their sons, fathers violated their daughters, pregnant woman had their bellies cut into, babies were amputated, people drink hot oil, wash your hands in hot oil, burnt alive, kids were taken, both boys and girls , boys to be injected to be fighters, girls to be their  wives/cooks. So many wicked stuff, the old young heck every living being even if you were sick you would be forced to join them in their routine " we want peace dance". Nasty set of people who maimed, killed and hurt lots of people in very very wicked ways  angry cry

Their theme was

'We are fighting in the battlefield we are fighting for our rights RUF is here to save Sierra Leone'

WOW. . . shocked. I knew some of it and watched a few docu angrymentaries but to hear it from you. It's really sad. I have a lot of SL friends who REFUSE to discuss the war. Absolutely refuse so I appreciate your stating the facts. That's just horrible!!  undecided

as per the political party they formed that was after the war had ended Paolo Bangura contested they didnt even win  a seat in parliament.

GOOD!!  angry
Re: Can Nigeria Learn Anything From Sierra Leone's Civil War? by zumbigbo(m): 12:42am On Nov 23, 2011
Mukina, abeg, where were you staing in Salone.

I was there in 09 December and I could feel the effects still in the people, especially upcountry, so much unresolved pain and heartache, and people are just expected to move on.

Some of the testimony you gave can only be given by someone was there because the detail of the cruelty is something that only a full immersion in a war zone will bring.

My heart dun bleed for the suffering in the motherland. cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jagaba Threatens To Sue Lawan For Blackmail / FG Fuel Subsidy Account Empty / 100 Nigeria Youth Leaders Hold Talks At Democracy Youth Round Table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.