Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,226 members, 7,829,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta (9246 Views)

Man Burnt Alive In Ajah Over Land Grabbing In Lagos [Graphic Photos] / Two Brothers Take Their Fight To The Streets Over Land In Delta State. Photos / Cameroonians Clash With Nigerians Over Land, Two Dead, Six Injured. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by Cantonese: 12:07pm On Apr 29
DOptical:

There's no Ijaw or Urhobo in Warri which belongs to Itsekiri. Old map point to everyone's boundaries. I don't know why some aren't contented but choose to be criminal fools. It's even stupid if any criminal fool thinks he can steal land in this age when old map are already documented. As a matter of fact, the suppreme court sacked Urhobo and Ijaw from Warri. High time, the law is enacted! In fact, Warri need their own state.

If there is Ijaw or Urhobo, when then the three local governments there?

By the way, how can there be a Warri state, with such dispute? I think all parties shoul co-habit in peace. Afterall all the tribes intermarry and share families. Let’s pray for lasting peace.
Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by DOptical: 12:11pm On Apr 29
Cantonese:

If there is Ijaw or Urhobo, when then the three local governments there?

By the way, how can there be a Warri state, with such dispute? I think all parties shoul co-habit in peace. Afterall all the tribes intermarry and share families. Let’s pray for lasting peace.

That was why I stated that only useless brainless criminal fools think they can steal anyone's territory in this age because regardless of any stupid attempt made by any criminal, including the previous stupid criminal attempt, the old map is already documented regardless. As a matter of fact, the Ijaw and Urhobo were sent packing from Warri by the supreme court the last time. High time the law is enacted. The Old map will be used to carve out Warri state.

1 Like

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by efe21: 3:08pm On Apr 29
DOptical:

That was why I stated that only useless brainless criminal fools think they can steal anyone's territory in this age because regardless of any stupid attempt made by any criminal, including the previous stupid criminal attempt, the old map is already documented regardless. As a matter of fact, the Ijaw and Urhobo were sent packing from Warri by the supreme court the last time. High time the law is enacted. The Old map will be used to carve out Warri state.
Show us the proof of the supreme court ruling or keep quiet. You can't just come online spreading falsehoods without evidences/proofs.

You strike me as a ramble rasa... Please give peace a chance and try to stay quiet even when you have something to say, that way you will listen more, and make informed contributions to serious dialogues like this one when you eventually decide to contribute.... Cheers and take care.
Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by DOptical: 3:58pm On Apr 29
efe21:

Show us the proof of the supreme court ruling or keep quiet. You can't just come online spreading falsehoods without evidences/proofs.

You strike me as a ramble rasa... Please give peace a chance and try to stay quiet even when you have something to say, that way you will listen more, and make informed contributions to serious dialogues like this one when you eventually decide to contribute.... Cheers and take care.

I deal in fact, not stupidity.

Ijaw were sent packing from Warri. Likewise sobo were banned which was as far back as 1935 while the British was still in Nigeria.

Look at the old map below, did you see Ijaw or sobo there? Sobo's history isn't even up to a century old sef. They were Bini slaves captured after they trespassed into Bini land and were used as sacrifices thus were running away from Bini to other places. Why did you think they're called wayo?

As I already stated, everyone knows their boundaries.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by efe21: 5:34pm On Apr 29
DOptical:

I deal in fact, not stupidity.

Ijaw were sent packing from Warri. Likewise sobo were banned which was as far back as 1935 while the British was still in Nigeria.

Look at the old map below, did you see Ijaw or sobo there? Sobo's history isn't even up to a century old sef. They were Bini slaves captured after they trespassed into Bini land and were used as sacrifices thus were running away from Bini to other places. Why did you think they're called wayo?

As I already stated, everyone knows their boundaries.
This is not an evidence in the first place because you are quoting a vanguard article that talked about the court case of only the Ijaws. There is no mention of Urhobo banning anywhere.

I sense you wrote from the place of deep emotions as obviously you are Itsekiri and you felt it is in your place to defend your tribe.

You claimed the Urhobos were Bini slaves used for sacrifice... But you have no proof to substantiate your claims... Do you?

You claimed the Urhobos had to run from the Binis to evade being sacrificed further and you the Itsekiri harboured and succoured them, and because they ran from the Binis to Itsekiri they were called WAYO.... Where is your proof about this bold statement... Do you have one?

What you wrote my friend is so outlandish and weird that I couldn't stop laughing. Let me ask you some rhetorical questions asap;-

1) Since you claimed the Urhobos were Bini slaves; how come the Urhobos have more occupied areas than you the Itsekiris in same Delta State?

2) Since you claimed the Urhobos fled slavery and ran to you the Itsekiris, how come the Urhobos is the most dominant tribe in Delta State, with more population than you the Itsekiris?

I will stop at just these two rhetorical questions, and truly if reality have not started dawning on you, by now it definitely should have start commencing. Because all your claims are all fallacies based, and just so you know, the Itsekiris are sojourners to Delta State while the Urhobos are indigenous to the areas they occupy..... For the dispute between the Ijaws and the Itsekiris; it is as old as time and only God can resolve it for them, hopefully in some future lifetimes he will.

Have a nice day my friend.... Cheers 🍷.
Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by DOptical: 10:03pm On Apr 29
efe21:

This is not an evidence in the first place because you are quoting a vanguard article that talked about the court case of only the Ijaws. There is no mention of Urhobo banning anywhere.

I sense you wrote from the place of deep emotions as obviously you are Itsekiri and you felt it is in your place to defend your tribe.

You claimed the Urhobos were Bini slaves used for sacrifice... But you have no proof to substantiate your claims... Do you?

You claimed the Urhobos had to run from the Binis to evade being sacrificed further and you the Itsekiri harboured and succoured them, and because they ran from the Binis to Itsekiri they were called WAYO.... Where is your proof about this bold statement... Do you have one?

What you wrote my friend is so outlandish and weird that I couldn't stop laughing. Let me ask you some rhetorical questions asap;-

1) Since you claimed the Urhobos were Bini slaves; how come the Urhobos have more occupied areas than you the Itsekiris in same Delta State?

2) Since you claimed the Urhobos fled slavery and ran to you the Itsekiris, how come the Urhobos is the most dominant tribe in Delta State, with more population than you the Itsekiris?

I will stop at just these two rhetorical questions, and truly if reality have not started dawning on you, by now it definitely should have start commencing. Because all your claims are all fallacies based, and just so you know, the Itsekiris are sojourners to Delta State while the Urhobos are indigenous to the areas they occupy..... For the dispute between the Ijaws and the Itsekiris; it is as old as time and only God can resolve it for them, hopefully in some future lifetimes he will.

Have a nice day my friend.... Cheers 🍷.

The topic was about Ijaw to begin with.

The sobo were also sacked from Warri as at 1934. They were sacked all the way to agbassa sef. Lol. In fact, Itsekiri have won several cases against Sobo as a matter of fact. There was even the Saba case where Ijaw ancestor and Sobo ancestor were fighting over it thus took themselves to the court however in the end, it was found out that it belonged to the Itsekiri while both Ijaw and Urhobo were declared as tenants. Imagine. Lol. Itsekiri wasn't involved but fact showed that it belonged to the Itsekiri. As I said, only fools think they can steal anyone's territory when everything is already documented, including the map.

Did you see Sobo in the old map below? Sobo are called wayo by several because they like claiming territory which doesn't belong to them. Sobo were even Bini slaves used as sacrifices after they ventured into Bini areas. All these are documented as seen below. Even the Sobo also documented it as seen in the last picture below. I don't even know where the Sobo came from. Some said they were being chased from their land by Ibo thus ran to Bini territory. Both the chaser (Ibo) and the ones chased (Sobo) were captured as slaves when they ventured into Bini territory thus they kept fleeing from Bini to other areas after they were captured.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by Konquest: 11:57pm On Apr 29
Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by Konquest: 10:56am On Apr 30
DOptical:
Na craze? Iwere is Itsekiri land. Iwere is mentioned in Ifa as a matter of fact. In fact, Itsekiri need their own state. The old map should be used in carving it out.

1 Like

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by Konquest: 11:25am On Apr 30
mogbeyiteren:
the truth is the Itsekiris are strangers in Delta State. The Itsekiri place in Delta state where as a result of politics by the British and Nigeria Government.

I have read several books especially the Nigerian People and Culture. The Yoruba Elders know the truth about where the Itsekiris come from; they should please speak out.
Please don't spread misleading information in your first two sentences here. You have to structure your sentences properly so that you do not convey a wrong message.

Itsekiris are NOT strangers but bonafide INDIGENES of Delta State because Itsekiriland extends from the Ondo and Delta States boundaries and sharing borders with their relatives or cousins, the Ilaje-Yoruba folks.

Itsekiris are primarily made up of ancestors who migrated from 3 subgroups of Yorubas from Ilajeland, Ijebu, Ife, and a small Benin migration through Prince Ginuwa in 1480 with 70 of his men who then settled among the indigenous Ijebus of Ode Itsekiri and married women In the already existing community that had the Ijebu Chief Lenuwa as their leader. Prince Ginuwa's father was Oba Olua and his mother was a Yoruba woman from Ife (Ufe).

Itsekiri Shares Same Lineage, Culture With Ijebu In Yorubaland – High Chief Adeyemi
=>https://independent.ng/itsekiri-shares-same-lineage-culture-with-ijebu-in-yorubaland-high-chief-adeyemi/

The Ilaje, Ijebu, and Ife mix is what has given rise to modern Itsekiriland as of today in Delta State. The oil and gas-rich Ugborodo (formerly named Escravos) was originally founded by Ilaje-Yorubs migrants over 500 years ago who came from Ugbo kingdom now in Ondo State.

Ogidigben, Omadino, Ode Itsekiri, Ureju, etc, are Itsekiri communities that were originally founded by Yoruba folks from Ilaje, Ijebu, and Ife centuries ago.

Itsekiri people lived in communities like Ode Ugborodo, Ogidigben, Ureju, Koko, Mereje, Ode Itsekiri, Okerenkoko, Inorin, Eroghor, Jakpa, Okere, Omadino etc, in a Pre-Ginuwa era (Before 1480).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OtD4e3xd24&list=HL1363504157

1 Like

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by Konquest: 12:06pm On Apr 30
BlackyOne:
Ijaw and urhobo have always been a bully, where does population/numbers confer ownership?

For the fact that most of your parent are uncultured and gave birth to several nuisance to increase your numbers doesn't translate to ownership of a place.

Itsekiri have always approached the court when they feel they're being attacked and oppressed, and that is why they have so many judgment in their favor from court of competence jurisdiction, and in a sane society so should the urhobo and ijaw learn to do, but rather the urhobo and ijaw would seek to be bullies and oppressors.

The Itsekiri has never been the one to strike first because of their peaceful disposition, but they've never failed to defend what's theirs, even in battle.

Be warned and warn others!

Very well said.

I'm not Itsekiri, I've been following the Itsekiri land dispute cases with especially the Ijaws since the late 1980s and fully into the 1990s.

I'm also fully aware that the Itsekiris have won all the major land cases in dispute with the Ijaws right up to the High Courts and Supreme Court. The Ijaws don't want to believe in court judgments (but believe in fighting illegally and then cowardly scampering back into the creeks to hide when confronted by superior firepower) and that's bad for the rule of law.

It's time for the Federal Government in Nigeria to immediately step in and robustly make sure that the Ijaws RESPECT the judgements of the Supreme Court, and ensure Ijaws do NOT continue to encroach on Itsekirilands and other ethnic lands in other states of Ondo, Edo, etc.

The fight between Itsekiris and the Urhobos however would have been more deadly in the late 1990s, but for the fact that many Itsekiris and Urhobos are related as extended family members.

The Ijaws especially have to be tamed and made to be contented with the areas that make up their home territories as indicated by Jasper Adaka Boro in his book on Ijaw history where he indicated the Forcados River to be the natural boundary or extent of the Ijaw area.

Even in the case of the ownership of the oil and gas-rich Soku between the Nembe-Ijaw and the Kalabaris, the ownership tussle evolved as a result of the fact that centuries back, Ijaw fishermen used to migrate from one Ijaw settlement to another, and then return at the end of the fishing season. But according to the Kalabari narrative, the migrant Ijaws from Nembe started claiming ownership of the entire Soku community especially with the discovery of oil and gas and the Kalabaris and Nembe-Ijaws started having deadly clashes over the ownership of Soku in Rivers State right from the 1970s. There are other cases of some Ijaws encroaching or grabbing the communities of other Ijaw groups especially when oil and gas is found, and this shows a very bad strand or character flaws and criminality in Ijaw behavior.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by BlackyOne: 6:23pm On Apr 30
Konquest:

Very well said.

I'm not Itsekiri, I've been following the Itsekiri land dispute cases with especially the Ijaws since the late 1980s and fully into the 1990s.

I'm also fully aware that the Itsekiris have won all the major land cases in dispute with the Ijaws right up to the High Courts and Supreme Court. The Ijaws don't want to believe in court judgments (but believe in fighting illegally and then cowardly scampering back into the creeks to hide when confronted by superior firepower) and that's bad for the rule of law.

It's time for the Federal Government in Nigeria to immediately step in and robustly make sure that the Ijaws RESPECT the judgements of the Supreme Court, and ensure Ijaws do NOT continue to encroach on Itsekirilands and other ethnic lands in other states of Ondo, Edo, etc.

The fight between Itsekiris and the Urhobos however would have been more deadly in the late 1990s, but for the fact that many Itsekiris and Urhobos are related as extended family members.

The Ijaws especially have to be tamed and made to be contented with the areas that make up their home territories as indicated by Jasper Adaka Boro in his book on Ijaw history where he indicated the Forcados River to be the natural boundary or extent of the Ijaw area.

Even in the case of the ownership of the oil and gas-rich Soku between the Nembe-Ijaw and the Kalabaris, the ownership tussle evolved as a result of the fact that centuries back, Ijaw fishermen used to migrate from one Ijaw settlement to another, and then return at the end of the fishing season. But according to the Kalabari narrative, the migrant Ijaws from Nembe started claiming ownership of the entire Soku community especially with the discovery of oil and gas and the Kalabaris and Nembe-Ijaws started having deadly clashes over the ownership of Soku in Rivers State right from the 1970s. There are other cases of some Ijaws encroaching or grabbing the communities of other Ijaw groups especially when oil and gas is found, and this shows a very bad strand or character flaws and criminality in Ijaw behavior.

The major issue obstructing justice and creating chaos is that some group feels they're above the law, they would rather opt for violence as a means of settling dispute rather that using the instrumentality of the rule of law.

Even when the law is employed in settlement, these same group try to frustrate the process and even refuse to respect the outcome when it's not in their favor, and again they use crooked means to subvert justice.

It's a terrible situation we have in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by Konquest: 6:46pm On Apr 30
BlackyOne:

The major issue obstructing justice and creating chaos is that some group feels they're above the law, they would rather opt for violence as a means of settling dispute rather that using the instrumentality of the rule of law.

Even when the law is employed in settlement, these same group try to frustrate the process and even refuse to respect the outcome when it's not in their favor, and again they use crooked means to subvert justice.

It's a terrible situation we have in Nigeria.
Indeed, I just logged in and saw your mention.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Federal Government CANNOT ensure that the rulings of the courts are followed to the letter, then there would be an all-out war between the Itsekiris and Ijaws, and consequently, it'll rapidly degenerate to include the Ilajes of Ondo State and the Binis of Edo State who are also having issues of land ownership in Ovia South West LGA with the Ijaws. It's just like the case of the state of Israel and the issue of Palestine that has been a tough nut to crack because of the recalcitrance of Hamas and their other allies. ONLY an all-out war that'll lead to a victor and a demographic shift or dislocation can solve that Israeli-Palestinian issue.

This is the same scenario that will have to play out if the recalcitrance of the Ijaws of whatever hue continues. A victor will have to emerge after delivering a severe blow to the loser.

Alternatively, a new state can be carved out for Itsekiris to take charge of their political and economic destiny OR after a sort of referendum, a boundary adjustment can also be made to put as many Itsekiri communities as possible in Ondo State so, that they can be with their kith and kin being that a vast part of Itsekiris from centuries back have Yoruba lineages of Ijebu, Ilaje, and Ife descent. Of course the Bini migration through Prince Ginuwa in 1480 into the originally Ijebu community of Ode Itsekiri and the presence of the few lineages of Igala folks (who are also Yoruboid in language) DOESN'T deter from the fact that a vast ancestry of Itsekiris originally come from other parts of Yorubaland. There is power in numbers and that'll deter any further Ijaw incursions into non-Ijaw lands.

Itsekiri Shares Same Lineage, Culture With Ijebu In Yorubaland – High Chief Adeyemi
=>https://independent.ng/itsekiri-shares-same-lineage-culture-with-ijebu-in-yorubaland-high-chief-adeyemi/
Re: Communal Dispute Brews As Itsekiri, Ijaw Tango Over Land In Delta by DOptical: 10:37am On May 01
DOptical:

The topic was about Ijaw to begin with.

The sobo were also sacked from Warri as at 1934. They were sacked all the way to agbassa sef. Lol. In fact, Itsekiri have won several cases against Sobo as a matter of fact. There was even the Saba case where Ijaw ancestor and Sobo ancestor were fighting over it thus took themselves to the court however in the end, it was found out that it belonged to the Itsekiri while both Ijaw and Urhobo were declared as tenants. Imagine. Lol. Itsekiri wasn't involved but fact showed that it belonged to the Itsekiri. As I said, only fools think they can steal anyone's territory when everything is already documented, including the map.

Did you see Sobo in the old map below? Sobo are called wayo by several because they like claiming territory which doesn't belong to them. Sobo were even Bini slaves used as sacrifices after they ventured into Bini areas. All these are documented as seen below. Even the Sobo also documented it as seen in the last picture below. I don't even know where the Sobo came from. Some said they were being chased from their land by Ibo thus ran to Bini territory. Both the chaser (Ibo) and the ones chased (Sobo) were captured as slaves when they ventured into Bini territory thus they kept fleeing from Bini to other areas after they were captured.

As a matter of fact, Most ran to the Itsekiri sides who accommodated them.

Anyways, everyone knows their boundaries as I already said. In fact, Warri need its own state as a matter of fact📌

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15-Year-Old Boy Stages Own Kidnap In Jos, Demands N500,000 As Ransom / 17 Year Old Girl Arrested For Raping A Man At Kinfe-Point / Gunmen Raid Anambra NAN Office, Beat Up Security Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.