Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,112 members, 7,828,968 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning (31659 Views)

See The Bunch Of Bananas I Harvested From My Farm This Morning. / The Big Python I Caught In My Farm This Morning / How To Cultivate Melon (egusi) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Pinicop(m): 9:31pm On Apr 28
So, Osogbo has big, beautiful houses, huh?
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by uglodoh(f): 9:35pm On Apr 28
May you harvest bountifully

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Konquest: 9:48pm On Apr 28
maasoap:

Osun state, Osogbo.

Even in the south, rain hasn't been falling regularly. People who want to plant maize are just starting
That's impressive.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Konquest: 9:54pm On Apr 28
maasoap:
The journey started towards the end of February when I started the clearing of the yet to be developed 5 plots of land around my house.
I have two reasons for doing this:
One: to push the busy around my house back
Two: to get me busy every morning before I go out for the day as I actually have plenty of time on my hand grin

I equally bought and planted hybrid of water melon among the melon, about 100 seeds for N4500.
This was planted middle of March after the first rain.
@Maasoap,

This project is mad cool.

If I get you correctly, did you say in your last paragraph that you planted two different varieties of water melon? I hybrid and the other non-hybrid?

Second, are you depending on any form of irrigation here such as drip irrigation?

Last but NOT least, I read that you folks in Osogbo enjoy 24 hours electricity daily... Is this assertion true?

Kudos to you and all the BEST!
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Babscleaning(m): 10:04pm On Apr 28
maasoap:
The journey started towards the end of February when I started the clearing of the yet to be developed 5 plots of land around my house.
Two: to get me busy every morning before I go out for the day as I actually have plenty of time on my hand grin
I equally bought and planted hybrid of water melon among the melon, about 100 seeds for N4500.
well done sir, whenever I'm in oshogbo I'll like to meet you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Maryam070682557(f): 10:09pm On Apr 28
Realist777:

Especially Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi axes

Those desert you've just mentioned na war

Rainfall in those areas is once in a long time and it's usually accompanied by Natural disasters.. What's helping Northwest basically is irrigation I have lived in Zamfara and I know what it means to survive their weather condition Sokoto is No 1

2 Likes

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by maasoap(m): 10:17pm On Apr 28
Babscleaning:
well done sir, whenever I'm in oshogbo I'll like to meet you

No problem
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by maasoap(m): 10:24pm On Apr 28
Konquest:

This is project mad cool.

Thanks

If I get you correctly, did you say in your last paragraph that you planted two different varieties of water melon? I hybrid and the other non-hybrid?

Mostly just melon. I would have liked to plant water melon but I couldn't get it at the time. So, I bought and planted few seeds of hybrid water melon (like 100 seeds in total) at a cost of 4500 naira, too costly. The rest is plain melon (egusi)

Second, are you depending on any form of irrigation here such as drip irrigation?

No irrigation. Just this scanty rainfall so far.

Last but NOT least, I read that you folks in Osogbo enjoy 24 hours electricity daily... Is this assertion true?

Kudos to you and all the BEST!
That was before. IBEDC is in serious mess at the moment, it is mostly darkness 24/7.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by maasoap(m): 10:30pm On Apr 28
99thEnemy:

have you encountered any lalasticlala friends (snakes) on the farm yet?
cool

Laughing. I have been around here long enough to know what you meant by lalasticlala friends without mentioning its name now. But no so far. They're plenty around here, people even encounter the biggest of the biggest while passing by. But I haven't encountered one on the farm so far.

2 Likes

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by maasoap(m): 10:32pm On Apr 28
Pinicop:
So, Osogbo has big, beautiful houses, huh?

It is a state capital now.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Konquest: 10:37pm On Apr 28
maasoap:

Thanks

Mostly just melon. I would have liked to plant water melon but I couldn't get it at the time. So, I bought and planted few seeds of hybrid water melon (like 100 seeds in total) at a cost of 4500 naira, too costly. The rest is plain melon (egusi)

No irrigation. Just this scanty rainfall so far.

That was before. IBEDC is in serious mess at the moment, it is mostly darkness 24/7.
Thanks for the very detailed feedback here.

I didn't realize the other "melon" you were referring to is "Egunsi." It's a good combo you have there with hybrid water melons and melon (Egunsi). I once read about Egunsi and it's in very high demand in the Nigerian Diaspora and in Nigeria as well, so, you are good to go if it's for resale.

Lastly, I want to make a suggestion from my business intel of many years now that you should look into getting off-grid micro-hydro or mini-hydro turbine generators that can serve the purpose of generating electricity and for farm irrigation in your current location if you have a source of flowing water supply nearby (like a stream or river). Just read up on it online to get a hang on how micro-hydro turbine generators work since off-grid power solutions are the way to go on a global scale.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Originalsly: 11:47pm On Apr 28
Interesting. Not much to lose in planting watermelons.... not a crop that requires much care and attention. I'm concerned about the land clearing method .... burning. In this dry spell.... this can get out of hand real quick and spread real fast ... we need to be extra extra careful. On buying watermelon seeds .... can't we just get the seeds from overripe watermelons?... as was traditional? Hybrid seeds etc... aren't these seeds modified?... each crop we have to go buy seeds? ... why can't natural seeds be used?... and we gather the seeds for the next crop? We need to pay attention .... seed control ... whoever controls the seeds... controls the crops... and controls the food supply. If the hybrid plants cross pollinate the natural plants .... the natural plants will be unable to reproduce...... then if you want to plant watermelons... you have to buy the seeds at whatever price is set by the distributor. This is what happened in South America with maize.... that gave rise to the planting of coca ... the plant from which cocaine is derived ... the reason for South America being the source of cocaine. In the US ... try planting natural corn... "organic corn" especially in the mid west States .... you will be better off planting cannabis. Let's try to grow our own from our own period.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by odun99(f): 12:00am On Apr 29
maasoap:

This is my surroundings as well but couldn't plant maize as much as I would like to because of goats. Couldn't really lay my hand on water melon seeds. The one I bought was like less than 100 seeds at N4500
I bought a N1,500 water melon from the Aboki on my street...then I playfully asked him in a friendly manner if I could get some seeds because I want to plant them and boom...he promised to get me the seeds and he did for free. You can also try.
He was surprised though, Maybe because I'm a lady

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Gerrard59(m): 12:30am On Apr 29
IbeOkehie:
Wonderful project. I wish you a BOUNTIFUL harvest.

I love melons. cc Oga Gerrard

Good Luck to Nigeria.

That statement could have a different meaning for me o. grin grin

I wish OP success, but I don't know the market size of melon and how much profits one can generate from such a venture.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Lovelyn451(f): 12:46am On Apr 29
una fruits no dey sweet, allow Jo's and benue go back to farm
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Karleb(m): 3:08am On Apr 29
Gerrard59:

That statement could have a different meaning for me o. grin grin

I wish OP success, but I don't know the market size of melon and how much profits one can generate from such a venture.

No vex o.

The last part of this comment makes you sound like a pi..mp. cheesy
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by IamAsiri: 3:32am On Apr 29
Krankhead:
Don't Tap into his Blessing. You people always attached evet to religion. Wake up and raise your But up from the sofa and do exactly what the man man did instead of Tapoing to unseen things. Practice it.

I laugh at you grin. That's because you surely don't know her.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by IamAsiri: 3:42am On Apr 29
Mrdellychy:

Lol... planting seeds extracted from fruits is like gambling cos you dont know the history/variety you are planting.
In commercial scale, it's better to buy seeds from seed dealers or farmers who grow them cos they get to know the history (disease/ drought resistance ability, maturity date, yield, size/shape of the fruits etc) of the seed they are buying. The history helps to make some informed decisions...for example, some varieties of seed crop are better planted during dry season while some in rainy season.

You are very much correct sir.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by IamAsiri: 3:49am On Apr 29
maasoap:
Great job sir! I am also in Osogbo but your place is quite far from mine, else I would have loved to come see firsthand how you went about the cultivation.

2 Likes

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by IAmHim1: 5:18am On Apr 29
Rainfall only supplies water

Can't this be fixed with artificial water supply like irrigation
Or am I missing something
Maryam070682557:
This is beautiful
Where's the location of your farm?

We've not really started farming normal In the North because of lack of rainfall..

We're praying for May to be nice
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Badmashiii: 5:48am On Apr 29
Ekugbeh:
money dey to invest but who's to trust

That's the bane of most entrepreneurs.

Trust has been,and will always be a critical issue when dealing with humans.

Due to the rising materialism among both males and females nowadays,and the excessive desire to attain wealth at all cost,it's almost impossible to trust anyone with your money not to talk of handling the reigns of your business.

My trust in humans is now 2%. As for nigerians,no trust at all. 0%.

I personally know millionaires that are willing to invest in many profitable ventures,but no one's trustworthy enough to help them look after the business as they are usually busy with other things.

Most Nigerians are criminals. Be wary of entrusting a nigerian with anything money.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by bizzibodi(m): 8:40am On Apr 29
Nice one,I hav also clear about 2.5acres to plant egusi just waiting for the rain.Baba God send down d rain,so that I go sow ma seeds,send down d rain!send down d rain ooo!!

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Geekop: 10:05am On Apr 29
Welldone boss
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Emeka71(m): 11:46am On Apr 29
maasoap:
More pics
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by maasoap(m): 1:03pm On Apr 29
odun99:

I bought a N1,500 water melon from the Aboki on my street...then I playfully asked him in a friendly manner if I could get some seeds because I want to plant them and boom...he promised to get me the seeds and he did for free. You can also try.
He was surprised though, Maybe because I'm a lady

Hausas are nice people. I will try to see if I can get it through them for the dry season farming

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Gerrard59(m): 1:07pm On Apr 29
Karleb:

No vex o.

The last part of this comment makes you sound like a pi..mp. cheesy

I have actually pimped ladies to men. I just didn't take it seriously as I was managing my parents' hotels. The potential earnings would not be more than what I managed. Also, I was not in Lagos or Abuja, where there were wealthier men who wanted privacy while seeking hookers.

But pimping is something I have done.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Karleb(m): 1:21pm On Apr 29
Gerrard59:

I have actually pimped ladies to men. I just didn't take it seriously as I was managing my parents' hotels. The potential earnings would not be more than what I managed. Also, I was not in Lagos or Abuja, where there were wealthier men who wanted privacy while seeking hookers.

But pimping is something I have done.

omo! shocked shocked
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by JimiJunji: 2:41pm On Apr 29
maasoap:

Well-done op.

Please how much do you farmers sell your watermelons over there and how do go about getting buyers?
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Malcord(m): 3:38pm On Apr 29
This is very good. Keep it up.
But next time, don't plant melon (egusi) and watermelon together. They are of the same family. When bees pollinate your melon (egusi) flowers and land on watermelon flowers, you may have bitter watermelon at the end of the day.
Please, take note.
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by Maryam070682557(f): 6:23pm On Apr 29
IAmHim1:
Rainfall only supplies water

Can't this be fixed with artificial water supply like irrigation
Or am I missing something

You're not missing anything Sir

You're absolutely correct

Most States in Far North practice Irrigation reason why we have cabbage lettuce tomato pepper onion year round

Nigeria has not really gotten to that stage where one can think of irrigation on a large hectares of land except of course the areas In view is fully fenced

Why?

We have headers farmers conflict,if you're not lucky the header can invade your Farm at any time in their quest for pasture....

We usually deal with it during rainy season can't imagine how it will look like during dry season.
Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by IAmHim1: 8:13pm On Apr 29
Hmmm

Quite insightful

I guess this is why food prices keep soaring

The cost of insurgency on the side of the farmers is added to the cost of food crops

Thanks 🙏
Maryam070682557:

You're not missing anything Sir

You're absolutely correct

Most States in Far North practice Irrigation reason why we have cabbage lettuce tomato pepper onion year round

Nigeria has not really gotten to that stage where one can think of irrigation on a large hectares of land except of course the areas In view is fully fenced

Why?

We have headers farmers conflict,if you're not lucky the header can invade your Farm at any time in their quest for pasture....

We usually deal with it during rainy season can't imagine how it will look like during dry season.

1 Like

Re: Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning by maasoap(m): 10:34pm On Apr 29
JimiJunji:

Well-done op.

Please how much do you farmers sell your watermelons over there and how do go about getting buyers?

This is my first time doing this, I'm not really a full time farmer. But the one I planted, paid 1000 naira per congo. A congo is like ten tins of milk. Unpeeled ones. Peeled ones is around 300 naira per tin of milk. I hope this help.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nasir Yammama: The Founder Of Verdant: The Farmer's Mobile Companion / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? / Rice Farmers Harvesting Rice In Their Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.