Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges (2951 Views)

Presidential Poll: INEC Plotting To Match Irev Information With Form EC8A – PDP / INEC Plotting To Erase Evidence, PDP Cries Out / INEC Plotting To Pre-allocate 200,000 Votes To APC In Ebonyi-governor Umahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by ogugwa1992: 11:13am On Apr 27
INEC Disenfranchising Edo Voters – Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations

A coalition of civil society organizations, under the aegis of the Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations (CONGOS) has raised the alarm over the denial of the voting rights of Edo State citizens by the Prof. Yakubu Mahmood-led Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Speaking at an emergency press conference held at the CONGOs Secretariat in Benin City on Friday, the President of the organization, Comrade Abiola Daisy Igaga, accused the electoral umpire of flouting the provisions of the Electoral Act by not allowing potential voters register to vote with the Commission.

According to Comrade Igaga, the press conference was organized to draw the attention of INEC and the general public to INEC’s disregard of Electoral Act 2022 as amended; and to the constitutionality of the continuous voter registration (CVR) exercise towards ensuring that people are not unjustly disenfranchised. “This is very important if the election is to be seen as inclusive and credible,” Comrade Igaga added.

Comrade Igaga stated that with the elections scheduled for September 21st, it was worrying that INEC had not commenced the CVR exercise in Edo State despite clear provisions of the Electoral Law – specifically Section 10.1 of the electoral act - which states that “…*there SHALL be continuous registration of all persons qualified to be registered voters*.” She therefore called on INEC to immediately obey the law, especially as a combined reading of Section 10.1 with Section 9.6 which states that CVR should end 90 days before an election means that INEC must conclude the exercise on or before the 21st of June, 2024.

“A reasonable percentage of the populace does not have confidence in the electoral process. It is the responsibility of INEC to consciously address the concerns of the people by delivering elections that are seen as free, credible and most importantly inclusive.We therefore call on the Chairman of INEC, Prof. Yakubu Mahmood to live up to his promise to strengthen our electoral process.” Comrade Igaga added.

The leadership of CONGOs pledged to work with INEC to deepen voter education and combat voter apathy; but called on the Commission to show good faith by immediately resuming the CVR exercise in Edo State, as it was a mandatory provision of the law, and not an optional one.
https://leaders.ng/2024/04/27/inec-in-plot-to-disenfranchise-edo-voters-civil-society-group-alleges/

2 Likes

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Donchieli: 11:47am On Apr 27
Inec wer don disenfranchise Nigeria teytey
Na small Edo go cum hard dem do ni

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by taiwotimitt: 11:47am On Apr 27
As far as Nigerian electoral system is concerned, I don't have anything to say because same strategy, same story. Who stole my FTC.

Today is Saturday..... Carry 10k, buy catfish, and chilled yogurt. Enjoy your life small grin

4 Likes

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by LilyTech11: 11:52am On Apr 27
Imagine
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by slivertongue: 11:54am On Apr 27
they will fail
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Skty: 11:55am On Apr 27
Inec? Or Obaseki? Obaseki will use power of incumbency to scatter everything

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Jamiubond009(m): 12:08pm On Apr 27
grin
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by EleventhWeirdo: 12:09pm On Apr 27
Unemployment has made every hunger infested mofo to be addressed as a comrade. Really pitiful state of the country's future and present.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by onuman: 12:11pm On Apr 27
When the head is rotten, the whole body becomes decadent.

Why has APC government refused to replace its appointed Chairman of INEC?
Mahmood Yakubu took election in Nigeria to a most ridiculous level.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Watinhapen(m): 12:21pm On Apr 27
taiwotimitt:
As far as Nigerian electoral system is concerned, I don't have anything to say because same strategy, same story. Who stole my FTC.

Today is Saturday..... Carry 10k, buy catfish, and chilled yogurt. Enjoy your life small grin

This thing you people always say. Who eats catfish and chilled yogurt? Is that not purging.

1 Like

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by onuman: 12:45pm On Apr 27
Oligarchic government.
Mahmood Yakubu represents the desire of the Fulani for Oligarchic government for Nigeria. That's what Yakubu Mahmood is working towards to.
Buhari who appointed Yakubu Mahmood left a legacy of possible unbroken 24 years of Muslim presidency for Nigeria - an ample time for Islamic extremists of sharia criminal laws to prepare for Jihad to impose Islamic Republic of Nigeria ruled by an Oligarchic government with Sharia criminal laws.

1 Like

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by managemoney(m): 1:08pm On Apr 27
Is there anything not capable of happening in this country?

By the way, checkout all available job vacancies across Nigeria using the link in my signature 👇
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Emman08: 1:08pm On Apr 27
INEC is big on strategic rigging. Before elections, they're already done rigging.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Dpharisee: 1:31pm On Apr 27
INEC has disenfranchised the whole country already, Mahmud is so ashamed that he hardly grants press interviews unlike before the failure of IREV
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Yonline: 3:30pm On Apr 27
thats why trump lost. same system , same people , same result.
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Komu1048(m): 6:08pm On Apr 27
Watinhapen:

This thing you people always say. Who eats catfish and chilled yogurt? Is that not purging.

Bros I no know how some people belle works, cox I don't take alcohol or can drinks n wan flex myself I carry one of my guy join body.

We took 2 plates of pepper soup with holandia yoghurt finish. Bro, I so purge I have to dip my hand inside my throat to vomit everything.

Saw my guy to explain wetin happen guy man tell me he still went there that night to add 1 plates of meat pepper soup n one heinekin to help him sleep well. I just laff, since then I know say belle dey diff.
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by favor914: 6:23pm On Apr 27
onuman:
When the head is rotten, the whole body becomes decadent.

Why has APC government refused to replace its appointed Chairman of INEC?
Mahmood Yakubu took election in Nigeria to a most ridiculous level.
Synchronized Obidient Wailer, he took elections in Nigeria to a most ridiculous level, because you are forming amnesia, I don’t know about knowledge of your uncle Maurice Iwu?
Re: INEC Plotting To Disenfranchise New Voters In Edo - Coalition Alleges by Kingspin(m): 7:39pm On Apr 27
INEC again

(1) (Reply)

IBB: Still The Right Man / Sahara Reporters' Sends Hitman To Kill Yar Adua. / Wage Politics:are Nigerian Doctors Truly Selfish?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.