Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,929 members, 7,824,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures (10950 Views)

Lagos-Calabar Highway: FG Panel To Pay Compensation In 10 Days / Abia Commences Demolition Of Ariaria, Publishes Names Of Affected Persons / Lekki Regional Road: LASG Comences Removal Of Structures On Right Of Way (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by wwwihy: 9:54pm On Apr 27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrNG0dDMBT0?si=wEsFtJRu8h4veUbz

The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, on Saturday in Lagos, flagged off the demolition of a section of the Landmark Beach, the Mami Chula Beach Lifestyle, to give way to the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway

Umahi began the demolition after he inspected kilometres 13, 16 and 20 to ensure the most economical and viable way to access the coastal roads without much damage.

He noted that the demolition was necessary since the landmark centre was located on the Federal Government’s Right-of-way.

He stressed that several structures would be affected by the demolition, adding that compensation would be provided.

Umahi said, “So with the utmost fear of God, gratitude to God Almighty and the commitment to President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda in our infrastructural development agenda in particular, I wish to flag off this demolition.

”It’s in a right-of-way within the coastal corridor which is the legitimate right-of-way of the Federal Government.

“Before the flag off of the demolition of the landmark, I graciously increased the grace period by another seven days and yet another four days and here we are because the project stopped because of lack of demolition.

“And I want to commend the likes of Bolaji, incidentally from kilometre zero to four from what I’m seeing, he is the only one that is majorly affected. That’s the only infrastructure I can see that is affected.”

The Minister, who acknowledged that some people were opposed to the project, insisted that it was necessary for economic development.

He assured those affected by the demolition that they would be adequately compensated, adding that documentation would start between May 2 and May 3.

Umahi also assured that he would be available throughout the week to address any confirmation or payment issues related to the demolition.

Responding, the Chief Executive Officer, Mami Chula Beach, Mr Bolaji Ariyo, acknowledged the project’s necessity for development, even when it causes inconvenience for a small number of people.

He said, “We all hope this is the renewed hope that we all clamoured for, during the campaign, we all prayed for development in Nigeria.

“And some of us have so much belief in Mr President that he will do it well, and this is an opportunity.

“For example, I’m a Lagosian and this is also a development that has been set down for a very long time. It is good that Mr President is doing that right now.

It is unfortunate. We all prayed for development, and in every development, some people pay the price and sacrifice for the development.

“You might be wondering why I’m talking like this, maybe because I was also on the other side before, so, I understand what governance means.

“I understand when a government is promising to make life easy for the entire Nigerians.

”Some of us are affected, no doubt about it, but those of us affected are not up to 0.1% of the millions of people that will enjoy the coastal roads.

“That’s why people like me, have taken it to heart to also support Mr President and the honourable minister to ensure that this road comes to life.”
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/04/fg-begins-demolition-of-landmark-beach-for-coastal-highway-project/amp/

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by NorthernAgender: 10:02pm On Apr 27
So those chairs are not useful?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Paraman: 10:25pm On Apr 27
It seems they doubt the government will really destroy their properties

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by richiemcgold: 10:38pm On Apr 27
That place is probably owned by a doubting Thomas grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by MVLOX(m): 7:12am On Apr 28
Hope Dem don pay the owners of the properties cha

1 Like

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Meti99(m): 7:12am On Apr 28
Fxzss
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Mandate2023: 7:13am On Apr 28
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by SoNature(m): 7:13am On Apr 28
Landmark should just sue the FG and ask for compensation for his business. If that road runs through his beach front, that business is totally gone!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Kingrshd3: 7:17am On Apr 28
Na wá óò

Thank God the beach wasn't owned by an Igbo man ...

Oni and his miscreant would have been shouting by now

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Bobby4090: 7:20am On Apr 28
Yy
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by AutoConsult: 7:25am On Apr 28
Nice talk from Mr Bolaji. Way to go.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by taiwotimitt: 7:28am On Apr 28
Those who affected should be compensated.
Country haba
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Paraman: 7:29am On Apr 28
SoNature:
Landmark should just sue the FG and ask for compensation for his business. If that road runs through his beach front, that business is totally gone!
Who sold the beach front(a public property to him)? He bought a land, not the beach front which belongs to the FG.

The main landmark building won't be affected

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by STEWpid(f): 7:32am On Apr 28
Chai..

I only pity the easygoing and innocent ones,,

Not all those so-called landlords that makes life tiring for everyone, behaving as if they have built heaven on earth.

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Bobby4090: 7:35am On Apr 28
SoNature:

You squat in another man's property. He now wants to develop it and your advice is to sue instead of plead for time or negotiate. It's only in Nigeria that greedy individuals barricade and fence off a public beach in the name of business. Every coastal town has free public beach but in a Lagos that has more than 50km of ocean front you can't sight an inch of the beach freely. Gone are the good days of open bar beach where one can visit and relax and just watch the ocean waves. All the beaches are now illegal personal commercial properties.
My suggestion is to open up all these barricaded beaches where you pay to enter, pay again just to even sit down, and pay x3 for everything. As for the road, it will bring far more good and development than what will give way. It will also decongest Lagos and make travelling to Niger Delta areas faster. Far better than Buhari that borrowed money to build railway to Niger Republic.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by SoNature(m): 7:40am On Apr 28
Bobby4090:

You squat in another man's property. He now wants to develop it and your advice is to sue instead of plead for time or negotiate. It's only in Nigeria that greedy individuals barricade and fence off a public beach in the name of business. Every coastal town has free public beach but in a Lagos that has more than 50km of ocean front you can't sight an inch of the beach freely. Gone are the good days of open bar beach where one can visit and relax and just watch the ocean waves. All the beaches are now illegal personal commercial properties.
My suggestion is to open up all these barricaded beaches where you pay to enter, pay again just to even sit down, and pay x3 for everything. As for the road, it will bring far more good and development than what will give way. It will also decongest Lagos and make travelling to Niger Delta areas faster. Far better than Buhari that borrowed money to build railway to Niger Republic.

You are terribly uninformed. Before displaying your ignorance in a public forum, listen to the arguments from the two sides. That's what reasonable people do. I won't reply you again.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Kpartners: 7:46am On Apr 28
Please what finally happened to the proposed Abuja - Lagos super highway that will reduce travel time to 5 hours
This administration is just confused. This Lagos Calabar coastal highway will not be completed in 60 years, take that to the bank.
Since year 2000 till now almost 24 years we are yet to deliver 140 km Lagos Ibadan express road that was not a new project even, just add one lane on both sides, from Obj to Tinubu, yet to be delivered.
Now we want to wast trillions on a project that will never be completed just like the railway to Maradi in Niger republic.
Anyway let them continue, God is watching

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by DropsMic(m): 7:51am On Apr 28
Nigeria
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by okoroemeka(m): 7:53am On Apr 28
Kingrshd3:
Na wá óò

Thank God the beach wasn't owned by an Igbo man ...

Oni and his miscreant would have been shouting by now
Igbo business people are getting smarter by the day
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by jaxxy(m): 7:59am On Apr 28
The problem with government here and in 3rd world countries is they act b4 the think things out. The power is like an adrenaline drug shot than a responsibility to serve those who voted for them.

I have seen this in the way many projects are executed.

Have they thought about all sides to this coastal road or just one side or their side?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by jubrilELsudan: 7:59am On Apr 28
VERY GOOD MAKE DEM LEVEL LANDMARK AND ALL THE BEACHES WEY DEM THINK SEY DEM BE GOD WEY OWN THE WATER

ALL THE BUSINESSES LIKE LANDMARK AND CO ARE GONE EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T DEMOLISH ANY PART OF THEIR STRUCTURES SO LONG AS THAT ROAD PASSES ALONGSIDE THEM THEIR BUSINESSES ARE GONE CAUSE NOBODY EXCEPT DAFT PERSON WILL EVER GO TO A BEACHFRONT RESORT WHERE IT'S MEANT TO BE QUIET AND TRANQUIL ONLY TO BE HOUNDED BY THE HEAVY NOISE OF VEHICLES

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by professorPABX: 8:00am On Apr 28
SoNature:

Who sold the beach front to him?

Mami Chula Beach Facility is the majorly affected facility on the corridor within this few kilometers. Mr Bolaji Ariyo a Lagosian is not sueing FG for the development of the road.

Chief Afe Babalola's first office used to be among the Estates of Late Prince DSD Oladeinde at Adamasingba, Ibadan. The Estate and other buildings were demolished for building of Lekan Salami Stadium.

Soludo also demolished structures for new development. It is not enough to blackmail Lagos on Social Media but hinder its development .

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Afonja2: 8:02am On Apr 28
wwwihy:

Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi said, “And I want to commend the likes of Bolaji, incidentally from kilometre zero to four from what I’m seeing, he is the only one that is majorly affected. That’s the only infrastructure I can see that is affected.”

Responding, [b] the Chief Executive Officer, Mami Chula Beach, Mr Bolaji Ariyo, acknowledged the project’s necessity for development, even when it causes inconvenience for a small number of people.

He said, “We all hope this is the renewed hope that we all clamoured for, during the campaign, we all prayed for development in Nigeria.

“And some of us have so much belief in Mr President that he will do it well, and this is an opportunity.

“For example, I’m a Lagosian and this is also a development that has been set down for a very long time. It is good that Mr President is doing that right now.

“It is unfortunate. We all prayed for development, and in every development, some people pay the price and sacrifice for the development.

“You might be wondering why I’m talking like this, maybe because I was also on the other side before, so, I understand what governance means.

“I understand when a government is promising to make life easy for the entire Nigerians.

”Some of us are affected, no doubt about it, but those of us affected are not up to 0.1% of the millions of people that will enjoy the coastal roads.

“That’s why people like me, have taken it to heart to also support Mr President and the honourable minister to ensure that this road comes to life.” [/b]

This is how reasonable people talk. Not playing victim with every government policy because of where you come from. Imagine if this is done to some people from we-know-where

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by EponObi: 8:03am On Apr 28
SoNature:

Guy you mumu no be small. Every shoreline or tidelands is owned by the federal government.

Landmark made bad investment. Paul should lick his wound and move on. Even if the coastal highway didn't happen, the phase 2 of the Eko Atlantic project will eventually swallow the so called beach. He definitely knew this before investing in the business.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by aalangel(f): 8:07am On Apr 28
Sad for Mr. Paul. He'll bounce back. Watch out for another beach!!
Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by EponObi: 8:07am On Apr 28
Responding, the Chief Executive Officer, Mami Chula Beach, Mr Bolaji Ariyo, acknowledged the project’s necessity for development, even when it causes inconvenience for a small number of people.

This is how right-thinking and patriotic individuals reason. Public interest overrides personal interest everywhere in the world. The government can't because of your $100m investment and the 1000 people you employ abandon a project that will be accessible to more than 200m Nigerians not to talk of the billions of dollars the project will pull into the country or the time, fuel, and money that will be saved by commuters.

Some Obidients dolts were even suggesting the government make the landmark section of the road go underground, thereby adding more than $500m to the initial budget - just to save a $100m investment. Lol

Paul can go f himself.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by EponObi: 8:19am On Apr 28
Kpartners:
Please what finally happened to the proposed Abuja - Lagos super highway that will reduce travel time to 5 hours
This administration is just confused. This Lagos Calabar coastal highway will not be completed in 60 years, take that to the bank.
Since year 2000 till now almost 24 years we are yet to deliver 140 km Lagos Ibadan express road that was not a new project even, just add one lane on both sides, from Obj to Tinubu, yet to be delivered.
Now we want to wast trillions on a project that will never be completed just like the railway to Maradi in Niger republic.
Anyway let them continue, God is watching

It will be completed in 8 years. You are bastard if you use the road after it's completed.

Do you guys even reason before thinking? Funding for the project is 100% secured and you see the rate at which the project is advancing - you must think this is another of your typical public project. And if your brain is functioning, you should know by now that this coastal road is what Tinubu wants to use as landmark achievement of his administration.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by professorPABX: 8:28am On Apr 28
SoNature:

You are terribly uninformed. Before displaying your ignorance in a public forum, listen to the arguments from the two sides. That's what reasonable people do. I won't reply you again.

He is more informed than you do. You are either a trader or an economic immigrant to Lagos. Mami Chula Beach facility is majorly affected within this few kilometers under construction.

On Social Media your brothers blackmail Lagos as slum, congested, unplanned and all sorts of insults. Whenever there is developmental plan execution, you cry victimization.

On FACEBOOK and other Social Media, you see Africa countries displaying highways and road networks in their countries. They display the beauties of their countries. It comes with sacrifice.

You see Jo'burg, Capetown and Durban. You see Dar es Salaam, Cairo, Algiers, Addis, Nairobi and Kigali, yet you hate development along Lagos Corridor. There is no way you can have development without sacrifice.

This road has been on ground for decades even Late MKO ABIOLA mentioned Coastal Highway Road construction in Developmental Agenda in 1993. If this road is not done now more buildings will be encroaching on the Coastal Right of Way.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Ppogbae: 8:31am On Apr 28
Nigeria's infrastructural deficit must be overcome. Nothing shall (literally) stand in our way.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Calabar Coastal Highway: FG Commences Demolition Of Structures by Bobby4090: 8:41am On Apr 28
That road is too important to delayed because of one greedy businessman who is squatting on the beach illegally and has turned the beach which is supposed to be a public property into his personal business venture.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Explosion, Gunshots In Kano / Osun APC Governorship Primary To Hold July 19 As Form Goes For N5.5m / Jubilation In Kwara As Ibrahim Oloriegbe (APC) Defeated Bukola Saraki (PDP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.