Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,486 members, 7,830,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church (938 Views)

Pope: Lalong Tenders Unreserved Apology To Catholic Bishops / Lagos Shuts Down All State Owned Broadcast Stations / Obiano Presents Cheque Of N423 Million To Catholic Mission Schools (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 5:09pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Well, there are still a lot of catholic schools anyways, though.even after the takeover. Looks like the vatican had a lot of heft.

Plus, why take over other schools? They weren't catholic. I doubt that Gowon did not know the difference between catholic and non catholic...as a Protestant believer of the anglican variety.

(At the end, it really doesn't matter).

As I said in a subsequent post , the nationalisation of missionary schools was done on the behest of the military government seeing the Catholic church as being to influential in the SE and how they allied with the biafran govt.

The ban was blanket on all missionary schools so as not to be seen as discriminatory to the Catholic mission in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by nairalanda1(m): 5:11pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

As I said in a subsequent post , the nationalisation of missionary schools was done on the behest of the military government seeing the Catholic church as being to influential in the SE and how they allied with the biafran govt.

The ban was blanket on all missionary schools so as not to be seen as discriminatory to the Catholic mission in Nigeria.

Well, it didn't affect all catholic schools, nor did it stop catholics from founding new schools.

Either way, the schools became a burden on the governments of the states, so back they went to the missions.

(Which is my point actually).
Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 5:13pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Well, it didn't affect all catholic schools, nor did it stop catholics from founding new schools.

Either way, the schools became a burden on the governments of the states, so back they went to the missions.

(Which is my point actually).

The policy to reverse the schools back to missions was negotiated by the Pope when he visited Abacha .

That's the premise behind the reversal and it began after democracy was restored in 1999 because Abacha died a few months after the Pope's visit to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by nairalanda1(m): 5:14pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

The policy to reverse the schools back to missions was negotiated by the Pope when he visited Abacha .

That's the premise behind the reversal and it began after democracy was restored in 1999 because Abacha died a few months after the Pope's visit to Nigeria.

Do you have any proof about that, plus why didn't them pope negotiate such in 1982?

Just wondering?
Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by nairalanda1(m): 5:17pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

Another thing...the pope visited in 1998, returns started in 2006.

Plus the pope doesn't argue for protestants, really

I think this was more of a money issue, than 'pope signed deal with abacha'

Still, if you got proof of any deal...
Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by Christistruth00: 5:37pm On Apr 29
What of the Vocational Colleges and Schools?
Colleges of Agriculture, Fisheries etc
Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by Wahabfuture: 6:27pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

You can have him as your life President of Biafra

Do you need a towel to clean the tears? grin

2 Likes

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 7:17pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Do you have any proof about that, plus why didn't them pope negotiate such in 1982?

Just wondering?

Because the Catholic diocese in Nigeria lobbied the Pope under Abacha.

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by nairalanda1(m): 7:19pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

Because the Catholic diocese in Nigeria lobbied the Pope under Abacha.

I doubt it had anything to do with the handover, plus Catholics don't lobby on behalf of other denominations
Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 7:21pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

I doubt it had anything to do with the handover, plus Catholics don't lobby on behalf of other denominations

They lobbied for their schools to be returned and Abacha acceded to it.

Do you expect the FG to still hold on to that of other churches ?

2 Likes

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by nairalanda1(m): 7:27pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

They lobbied for their schools to be returned and Abacha acceded to it.

Do you expect the FG to still hold on to that of other churches ?

Still, it was on a stare by state basis . Most states haven't handed over catholic schools

( Many northern states for instance haven't handed back former catholic schools. Two girls Schools in one of them are still run by the state)

At the end, money and even calls by citizens is why some Schools were handed over.
Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 7:33pm On Apr 29
nairalanda1:

Still, it was on a stare by state basis . Most states haven't handed over catholic schools

( Many northern states for instance haven't handed back former catholic schools. Two girls Schools in one of them are still run by the state)

At the end, money and even calls by citizens is why some Schools were handed over.

Well , it was a federal govt decision in the first place to nationalise missionary schools which they (FG) handed to hosting states.

The FMG under Abacha had already agreed in principle to return those schools until his untimely death.

The rocky transitional military govt led by Abdullsalam had other more pressing priories.

The issue of returning missionary schools back to their owners came up in the early 2,000s and sooner the elected democratic governors slowly began to hand them back over. I believe it was swiftly returned in the SW and SS regions than any other region.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by nedu666: 7:40pm On Apr 29
DeepThroater:

Obi will never ever be President.

You better focus on obi as it is safer for you than writing articles and threatening jews with genocide before bibi use you count scores

2 Likes

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 8:13pm On Apr 29
nedu666:

You better focus on obi as it is safer for you than writing articles and threatening jews with genocide before bibi use you count scores

Of course the synagogue of Satan has been living in deciet and terror since the day Christ walked the earth.

As they hated Christ and had Him murdered so also I accept the fate of being a Christian standing tall against the synagogue of Satan.

It's good you have acknowledged your slave masters as the terrorist and truth teller killers that they are.

18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by igwebuike01: 8:36pm On Apr 29
Agbado lunatic on the loose

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by Antivirus92(m): 11:07pm On Apr 29
Different types of madness

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 12:30am On Apr 30
igwebuike01:
Agbado lunatic on the loose

Congo Jews behaving like cannibals as usual.

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 12:32am On Apr 30
Antivirus92:
Different types of madness

Ode, Obi carry Una illegal share of Niger Delta oil invest in his business and use Una head dash public schools to his Catholic church so he will have more money to loot .

You people are not smart at all.

Nah this brazen sociopathic thief Una one foist on us?

Tufiakpa!

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by naijaking1: 12:45am On Apr 30
DeepThroater:

Did they hand government built and managed schools to the Catholic church ?

The answer is a big no.

Those past governors simply reversed the nationalisation policy of Catholic owned schools back to their owners and not government built schools.

Reno, Reno, Reno.
Go get a job.

1 Like

Re: Obi Handed State Owned Schools To Catholic Church by DeepThroater: 12:54am On Apr 30
naijaking1:

Reno, Reno, Reno.
Go get a job.

No be only Reno nah Soyinka .

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 2 Headlines / Political Joke! A Must Read / Can Nigeria Stand Another Eight (8) Years Of Pdp Rulership?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.