Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

White South Africans Head For Home - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / White South Africans Head For Home (4274 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

White South Africans Head For Home by AfroBlue(m): 5:44pm On Nov 21, 2011
sa_lassie 5,4,3,2,1

[img]http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5gabaSKUPQR30XAz1DoFgk56AiGcA?docId=photo_1321772646746-1-0&size=l[/img]
The Short family packed their bags and moved back to South Africa after 10 years in London (AFP/File, Mujahid Safodien)

[img]http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5hFVY3lacxK7NQtNXkm0in0GvVw1g?docId=photo_1321772683621-1-0&size=l[/img]
Census figures show the white population in South Africa is at 4.5 million, the highest level since 1991 (AFP/File, Mujahid Safodien)

With weak economy abroad, white S. Africans head home

By Thomas Donzel (AFP) – 1 day ago

JOHANNESBURG — After 10 years in London, the Short family packed their bags and moved back to South Africa, part of what experts say is a growing trend of white expatriates returning home.

"London was very good to us but it was never home," said Julie Short, who met her husband Wallis in the British capital, where their two young daughters were born.

The couple were among the estimated 800,000 white South Africans who moved overseas, mainly to Britain, Australia and New Zealand, between 1991 and 2001, according to census data.

The exodus amounted to about 15 percent of South Africa's white population. Some fled fearing the often gratuitously violent crime that erupted across the nation during the mid-1990s. Nearly 27,000 people were killed in 1995, the year after Nelson Mandela became president.

Others feared that in the new post-apartheid South Africa, they could be passed over for jobs or business opportunities as the government embarked on a programme of black economic empowerment.

But now the exodus appears to be slowing -- and even reversing.
Census figures show the white population is at 4.5 million, the highest level since 1991.

The exact numbers of South Africans abroad are hard to determine, partly because many whites living overseas hold dual citizenship and are not counted as immigrants in their new countries.
But experts say many are now returning, especially as the economies of the rich world have stumbled.

"We know Europe is in trouble, the United States economy is weak as well," said John Loos, an economist at First National Bank.

"So a large part of the global economy to where people often emigrate from South Africa is not performing well, jobs prospects are not good, and I think that that too is slowing the emigration rate."
In contrast, South Africa's economy has grown steadily since the first all-race elections in 1994.

The country suffered a recession in 2009 that lasted only nine months and proved much softer than in the rest of the world.
While unemployment is mired around 25 percent, skilled professionals like doctors, nurses and engineers are in high demand.

The Labour Department estimated in 2008 that South Africa needed 913,000 such professionals with "scarce skills" to fill current job openings.
That's the target market for Homecoming Revolution, a web site that aims to help South Africans abroad make the transition back home.
"Our aim is to focus on the scarce skills in South Africa -- doctors and nurses, accountants, IT professionals -- all the industries where we really need the expertise, we need leadership and we need strong international skills to come home and create jobs and help grow the economy," said Brigitte Britten-Kelly, who runs the project.

That was the case for Wallis Short, a computer engineer who quickly found a job at a local company.

He said that for skilled professionals, opportunities abound, despite fears among some whites that South Africa's affirmative action programme, known as Black Economic Empowerment, will hurt their job prospects.
"I was really pretty confident that I would get a job even though there was BEE," he said. "The thing is with a technical side, you cannot fill those positions with BEE candidates if they do not have the experience."
South Africa still has a staggering crime rate, especially around Johannesburg. But violent crime has steadily declined -- about 16,000 people were killed last year, though the violence is now concentrated in impoverished shantytowns that are difficult to police.

In wealthier neighbourhoods, real estate agents say fewer and fewer people are selling their homes to emigrate.

The Short family is renovating a house in Johannesburg with a sprawling garden and pool, a far cry from the 75 square metres (800 square feet) they shared in London -- not to mention the nearly year-round sunshine.
"It was never the same quality of life that you will be able to have here," said Julie Short. "We love being home, it's great."
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 8:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
Told you so.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by tpia5: 9:41pm On Nov 21, 2011
Hmm.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by morpheus24: 9:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
Yep.

I guess their fears of being butchered in numbers or their "jobs being stolen" has alleviated.

Hmm or maybe not?
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by Horus(m): 10:06pm On Nov 21, 2011
MID-YEAR POPULATION ESTIMATES 2011

Population group Number % of total

African                40 206 275     79.5%
White              4 565 825       9.0%
Coloured              4 539 790       9.0%
Indian/Asian     1 274 867      2.5%
TOTAL           50 586 757     100%

Source: Statistics South Africa
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by morpheus24: 10:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
Horus:

MID-YEAR POPULATION ESTIMATES 2011

Population group Number % of total

African 40 206 275 79.5%
White 4 565 825 9.0%
Coloured 4 539 790 9.0%
Indian/Asian 1 274 867 2.5%
TOTAL 50 586 757 100%

Source: Statistics South Africa

Wow its jumped from its previous 5%. Wonder what ti was pre 1994?
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by paniki(m): 10:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
I think they should just stay were they are. We doing just fine without them
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by paniki(m): 10:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
morpheus24:

When was it 5%? In the early 90s there were over 5 million whites but less than 30 million blacks so the percentage was higher
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by Horus(m): 11:07pm On Nov 21, 2011

morpheus24:

No, there is less whites now in 2011 not only in numbers but also in percentage, this is why I think this article was written for propaganda. The article do not take in consideration the natality rate among blacks.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 11:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
morpheus24:

I guess their fears of being butchered in numbers or their "jobs being stolen" has alleviated.

Hmm or maybe not?

Morpheus, the ones who left in the early and mid 90s where part of the chicken run. Since then it has been mostly about finding employment so they can feed their families.

I’m not worried about being “butchered”. South Africans aren’t a bunch of blood thirsty savages. The vast majority just want to live together in peace and are proud of this country.

paniki:
I think they should just stay were they are. We doing just fine without them

You know, there is even that feeling amongst whites about this. There is a bit of resentment towards the chicken runners, because they didn't have the faith in SA to stay. However, I am glad that people are bringing needed skills back into the country that can create even more opportunity for all of us. Apart from that I never liked the idea of so many South Africans spread across the world. Especially Afrikaner people, because of that part of our history where about 25 000 men where forcibly send away from here by the English. But even if it were other races I would still feel the same. I just feel that we are all a part of one another at the end of the day and I want us all to live in peace together.

paniki:
When was it 5%? In the early 90s there were over 5 million whites but less than 30 million blacks so the percentage was higher

Yes, I also think it was closer to 6 million back then. As for the black population jumping from 30 to 40 million, that also has a lot to do with the large Zimbabwean community in SA. Aren't there officially around 3 million of them living here?
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 11:27pm On Nov 21, 2011
Horus:
No, there is less whites now in 2011 not only in numbers but also in percentage, this is why I think this article was written for propaganda. The article do not take in consideration the natality rate among blacks.

Which article? The original post doesn't mention the black population %. How can it be propaganda? Many are coming back. In any case, why are people so hung up on the numbers?
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by Horus(m): 11:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
sa_lassie:

Which article?  The original post doesn't mention the black population %.  How can it be propaganda?  Many are coming back.  In any case, why are people so hung up on the numbers?

This is exactly what I am saying, they doesn't even mention the black population % in the article. This article give you the impression that there is more whites now when in reality there is less whites now (After the 2011 Census). Even if some whites are coming back their % still going lower and lower (low natality level). (Check the result of the 2011 Census). The article was just written to encouraging whites to come back, knowing that they are more and more a smaller and smaller minority compare to the rising black population.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by paniki(m): 12:06am On Nov 22, 2011
sa_lassie:

Morpheus, the ones who left in the early and mid 90s where part of the chicken run.  Since then it has been mostly about finding employment so they can feed their families.  

I’m not worried about being “butchered”.  South Africans aren’t a bunch of blood thirsty savages.  The vast majority just want to live together in peace and are proud of this country.  

And the chicken run never stops badmouthing SA and predicting its doom. That's why I don't like them. But of cause there are many patriotic South Africans abroad, I hope its mainly them who are coming back

sa_lassie:

You know, there is even that feeling amongst whites about this.  There is a bit of resentment towards the chicken runners, because they didn't have the faith in SA to stay.  However, I am glad that people are bringing needed skills back into the country that can create even more opportunity for all of us.  Apart from that I never liked the idea of so many South Africans spread across the world.  Especially Afrikaner people, because of that part of our history where about 25 000 men where forcibly send away from here by the English.  But even if it were other races I would still feel the same.  I just feel that we are all a part of one another at the end of the day and I want us all to live in peace together.

Yes the English gave you guys a crap time the same way you Afrikaners gave us blacks crap times and now it's the blacks who are maltreating Zimbabweans, Somailians and other foreigners. What a vicious human cycle. And there's always some form of resentment down the whole chain except for the English of cause

http://mg.co.za/article/2009-12-01-end-of-an-era-for-argentinas-afrikaners
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by paniki(m): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2011
Horus:

This is exactly what I am saying, they doesn't even mention the black population % in the article. This article give you the impression that there is more whites now when in reality there is less whites now (After the 2011 Census). Even if some whites are coming back their % still going lower and lower (low natality level). (Check the result of the 2011 Census). The article was just written to encouraging whites to come back, knowing that they are more and more a smaller and smaller minority compare to the rising black population.

I think it's a balanced article that spoke mostly the truth
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 6:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
paniki:
And the chicken run never stops badmouthing SA and predicting its doom. That's why I don't like them. But of cause there are many patriotic South Africans abroad, I hope its mainly them who are coming back.

You are so right about that. These guys didn’t go through the transition with the rest of us and their minds are still stuck in the pre-94 days. They only hear the bad things and have never experienced or even want to acknowledge the good. I’ve heard that there are even some of those chicken runners who still fly the old flag. They were telling people abroad not to come to the World Cup and other bs. We are working here together for a better future while they are over there undermining us, but probably believing that they are patriotic in doing this. They should be focusing on forming business partnerships etc with SA from wherever in the world they are now. That would at least be beneficial.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by redsun(m): 6:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
Wjgat home? Their home is europe while south africa is their hijacked home. It is time to let go.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 6:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
redsun:
Wjgat home? Their home is europe while south africa is their hijacked home. It is time to let go.

Relax, they aren't coming to Nigeria. In any case, what do you think would happen if all black people around the world were suddenly told to pack up and move to Africa? Contrary to what some here want to believe, many are happy in the countries they find themselves and don't want to come to Africa based on colour.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by redsun(m): 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2011
Africans dont ask for too much in places they sojourn,they dont trespass but on the other,white people takes it all in places they sojourn and subject the natives to life of abject misery and wants,just like the case of south africa. They never take some time off to put themselves in others shoes and think of what they would have done if others do the same to them,that is inhumane and it must stop
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 8:02pm On Nov 22, 2011
redsun:
Africans dont ask for too much in places they sojourn,they dont trespass but on the other,white people takes it all in places they sojourn and subject the natives to life of abject misery and wants,just like the case of south africa.

Redsun, I don’t think black people would have been any better than whites had they colonized Europe or the Americas. Evil isn’t exclusive to any one race. It’s a human thing. More than that – let’s not kid ourselves – it’s a male thing which is why women and children always suffer the most when guys start flexing their muscles around.

BTW, you do realize that when white South Africans were finally allowed to vote “yes” or “no” to end apartheid, 70% of us voted “yes”.

redsun:
They never take some time off to put themselves in others shoes and think of what they would have done if others do the same to them,that is inhumane and it must stop

Yes, we can agree on that. By the same token, when someone does try to put themselves in others shoes, they shouldn't get attacked for it.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by morpheus24: 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2011
paniki:

And the chicken run never stops badmouthing SA and predicting its doom. That's why I don't like them. But of cause there are many patriotic South Africans abroad, I hope its mainly them who are coming back

You are so right on that one. I guess the grass wasn't greener on the other side with "their" white brothers in the UK and now SA is transitioning its time to come up. I guess they are allowd that luxury only I would be persuaded to ask the government to revoke their dual citizenship so they can't run away the next time.

I have always prefered those who Stay and fight

paniki:

Yes the English gave you guys a crap time the same way you Afrikaners gave us blacks crap times and now it's the blacks who are maltreating Zimbabweans, Somailians and other foreigners. What a vicious human cycle. And there's always some form of resentment down the whole chain except for the English of cause

http://mg.co.za/article/2009-12-01-end-of-an-era-for-argentinas-afrikaners

lets hope the Zims and Somalians turn theri anger towards Robert and Al shabaib eh!
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by Rossikk(m): 4:01pm On Nov 23, 2011
The fleeing whites were racists who thought that South Africa would collapse under 'incompetent black rule', following the collapse of apartheid. Now they've seen their stup.idity and ignorance exposed, as they rush back 'home' to settle.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 6:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
morpheus24:
lets hope the Zims and Somalians turn theri anger towards Robert and Al shabaib eh!

There's that sneaky sense of humour I'm learning to love.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by EzeUche(m): 7:52pm On Nov 23, 2011
Europe is struggling so why wouldn't they return to more economically viable Africa?
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by NegroNtns(m): 4:15am On Nov 24, 2011
You know, there is even that feeling amongst whites about this. There is a bit of resentment towards the chicken runners, because they didn't have the faith in SA to stay. However, I am glad that people are bringing needed skills back into the country that can create even more opportunity for all of us. Apart from that I never liked the idea of so many South Africans spread across the world. Especially Afrikaner people, because of that part of our history where about 25 000 men where forcibly send away from here by the English. But even if it were other races I would still feel the same. I just feel that we are all a part of one another at the end of the day and I want us all to live in peace together.

sa_lassie, it is clear, from your comments, that you are either of mixed parentage or you are not black. I know how it must feel from your outlook at the new arrangements. There is a good reason white Americans are suspicious and will not hand power over to a descendant of slave i this country. They fear the reprisal. The one who hurts the soul of another empowers them with an enduring and fearsome power. As we speak, there are many many residuals of divisions ad racist treatments against blacks all over the world. There are treasures stolen from Africa that are still held by Europeans. If you truly want to be a soldier for justice ad uity, fight that cause to restore dignity to the humanity of black victims still in shackles of white dominace in places like Australia, America, before you you call for Blacks to to embrace and share space with Whites. Whites reluctantly gave up in South Africa due too international pressure not because they had sympathy for their black citizens.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by redjasper1: 7:24am On Nov 24, 2011
The title should read White South Africans Head For Colonial Home.

Freaking german shepards!
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by RSA(m): 11:47am On Nov 24, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

sa_lassie, it is clear, from your comments, that you are either of mixed parentage or you are not black. I know how it must feel from your outlook at the new arrangements. There is a good reason white Americans are suspicious and will not hand power over to a descendant of slave i this country. They fear the reprisal. The one who hurts the soul of another empowers them with an enduring and fearsome power. As we speak, there are many many residuals of divisions ad racist treatments against blacks all over the world. There are treasures stolen from Africa that are still held by Europeans. If you truly want to be a soldier for justice ad uity, fight that cause to restore dignity to the humanity of black victims still in shackles of white dominace in places like Australia, America, before you you call for Blacks to to embrace and share space with Whites. Whites reluctantly gave up in South Africa due too international pressure not because they had sympathy for their black citizens.

Amen to that,tell this boere meissie(white afrikaner girl).
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 7:11pm On Nov 24, 2011
Negro_Ntns:
sa_lassie, it is clear, from your comments, that you are either of mixed parentage or you are not black. I know how it must feel from your outlook at the new arrangements. There is a good reason white Americans are suspicious and will not hand power over to a descendant of slave i this country.

What are you talking about when you say that? Are you one of those on here so blinded by hatred that you assume I hate you because we aren’t of the same race? I don’t know if you made a typo when you said “Americans”. I am not in the States. If you were talking about SA. News flash: in the 17 years since this country became a democracy I have only once made my mark next to a white face in an election and that was with this year’s municipal elections. Every presidential election I’ve made my mark next to the face of someone who happens to be black. But I didn’t vote for any of them thinking “I’m voting for a black man”, I voted for them because I saw them as South Africans who I believed would be good leaders. So stop assuming stuff. I don’t suck up to either black or white people and I despise supremacist on both sides.

Negro_Ntns:
As we speak, there are many many residuals of divisions ad racist treatments against blacks all over the world. There are treasures stolen from Africa that are still held by Europeans.

Of course there are. How many more times do I have to say that on here? There’s a lot of selective reading going on in this forum.

Negro_Ntns:
If you truly want to be a soldier for justice ad uity, fight that cause to restore dignity to the humanity of black victims still in shackles of white dominace in places like Australia, America, before you you call for Blacks to to embrace and share space with Whites.

I’m not in Australia or the States. I am here in SA doing what I can to help poor black people here. Stop making assumptions. Are you giving your time to help any of the poor in your community or even doing something as simple as giving meals to people you know are going without or giving them blankets in the winter? What are you doing for black people in your community? I have asked this question so many times here of those who keep attacking me and still none of them have been able to give me an answer. How can they expect white people to care for them when they themselves don’t even care for their fellow black brothers and sisters? Even on this site there is so much hatred for each other. You guys are constantly bashing each other even when someone has accomplished something that you should be proud of.

Negro_Ntns:
Whites reluctantly gave up in South Africa due too international pressure not because they had sympathy for their black citizens.

If 70% of us didn’t want things to change in this country, then we would have voted the same as the other 30% no matter the amount of international pressure.
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by salassie(f): 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2011
red jasper:
The title should read White South Africans Head For Colonial Home.

By that twisted logic, everyone except the Native Americans should leave America, everyone except the Indians should leave C and S.America. All except the aboriginals should leave Australia. It’s 2011. Get with the times. There are only 0.60% whites in Africa. Why are you so scared of us anyway? And how can you expect whites in the US to change their attitudes about the 12% black population if you can't even get over a small % of whites in Africa? Have you ever really tried to speak face to face with white people about your grievances? Probably not. It would explain why some people on here are wetting themselves with excitement that I am here. You are too scared to have face to face conversations and prefer to attack people on the internet instead. I have said that I am trying to get to know and understand Nigerians, but that’s not happening because of those of you who just attack non stop and want to make everyone your enemy. You are your own worst enemies!
Re: White South Africans Head For Home by redjasper1: 2:17am On Nov 28, 2011
sa_lassie:

By that twisted logic, everyone except the Native Americans should leave America, everyone except the Indians should leave C and S.America.  All except the aboriginals should leave Australia.  It’s 2011.  Get with the times.  There are only 0.60% whites in Africa.  Why are you so scared of us anyway?  And how can you expect whites in the US to change their attitudes about the 12% black population if you can't even get over a small % of whites in Africa?  Have you ever really tried to speak face to face with white people about your grievances?  Probably not.  It would explain why some people on here are wetting themselves with excitement that I am here.  You are too scared to have face to face conversations and prefer to attack people on the internet instead.  I have said that I am trying to get to know and understand Nigerians, but that’s not happening because of those of you who just attack non stop and want to make everyone your enemy.  You are your own worst enemies!

I don't ever think African Americans voluntarily decided to leave Africa my dear, if there is an attitude with the number of blacks in America all the sentiment should be directed within themselves. Fairly quick solution to all of their problems would be to put their Money where their Mouth is, set up a repatriation fund bank and put your Money where your Mouth is at. We've been "talking" to whites about reparations since time unknown! As of matter of fact, we seem to be the only group that has never been compensated for our "grievances" it is estimated 40 acres and a mule today would be equivalent to US 150,000 dollars, if each slave descendant received this amount for repatriation I'm sure they'd take it and bolt from America. It's not that anyone doesn't have the balls to sit down and discuss this with you it's just that time again whites have proved to be divisive, insincere, pathological liars.

(1) (Reply)

President Zuma Bans 9 African Countries From Entering South Africa / LOL! See Obama's Inauguration Versus Trump's Own Today (photos) / Top Legislator Caught On Tape With His Side Chick In Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.