Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,918 members, 7,810,530 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. (1361 Views)

See 9 States Buhari's Anti-corruption Battle Is Raging / Farida Waziri Denies Writing Obasanjo, Threatens Legal Action / Ribadu - Farida Waziri Is A Cheap Liar Who Seeks Undue Relevance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by executinal(m): 8:34pm On Nov 21, 2011
NaijaPundit sources have exclusively revealed to us that barring any last minute changes, President Jonathan is set to put his money where his mouth is and rev up the anti corruption effort with the removal of Mrs. Farida Waziri as EFCC Chairperson and the appointment of a trusted hand.

It was discovered that Mr. President has a genuine desire to fight corruption but has been giving Mrs. Waziri enough independence to see if she would perform. But having given her enough time and called her performance into reckoning, the President had come to a conclusion that her tenure has not produced much in terms of results.alt
Mrs. Waziri has been seen as an undertaker sent to kill of and bury the EFCC which under it's pioneer chairman Malam Nuhu Riadu had been a pain in the heck of corrupt politicians. Things got so bad under her watch that U.S. Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton abandoned diplomatic language by telling the Yar'adua administration during her August of 2009 visit to Nigeria that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had "fallen off in the last two years". But despite that damning verdict Mrs. Waziri retained her post ith the aid of her powerful god fathers then in the corridors of power.

> Moreover, most international anti corruption bodies that used to cooperate with the EFCC have severed ties with the body citing Mrs. Waziri's penchant for sharing sensitive information with criminal elements and persons suspected of corruption.

> For instance, in several U.S. diplomatic cables from the U.S. embassy in Nigeria released by the whistle blowing site, wikileaks, revealed that Western nations have lost faith in Waziri's EFCC and there were cases of the removal of competent agents and their replacement with nominees of corrupt ex-governors. In one of the cables, even Mrs. Waziri's appointment was suggested as being at the instance of James Ibori using the infamous former Minister of Justice, Michael Aondoakaa, who has himself been facing several public embarrassment including sanction from the Body of Benchers who stripped him of the SAN title. Mr. Aondoakaa is also accused of receiving bribes to mishandle the case of the Pfizer Trojan settlement. Mrs. Waziri maintained a close relationship with Mr. Aondoakaa and both of them had very strong ties to corrupt persons that were under investigation from the Nuhu Ribadu led EFCC with Waziri acting as a bail surety for former Benue State governor and now senator, George Akume, when he was arrested by the EFCC.

> The planned removal of Mrs. Waziri by President Jonathan and her  likely replacement with a no-nonsense experienced anti corruption fighter such as Asishina Okauru, the former Director of the EFCC's Financial Intelligence Unit who was ordered detained by Waziri after he refused to play ball with her or Ibrahim Lamorde the former Director of Operations at the agency who regained his job back in December, 2010 despite Waziri's resistance would signal that the President is serious about reforming the EFCC just as he did with the INEC when he appointed Professor Attahiru Jega and surrounded him with a host of credible persons
source http://www.naijapundit.com/news/anti-corruption-battle-set-to-gather-steam-as-farida-waziri-to-be-eased-out-of-efcc
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by executinal(m): 8:36pm On Nov 21, 2011
GEJ I believe in your administration, gradually you will get there. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by stormm: 8:47pm On Nov 21, 2011
executinal:

GEJ I believe in your administration, gradually you will get there. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Birds of identical plummage,
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by lanrefront1(m): 9:29am On Nov 22, 2011
The President has no business in appointing the chairperson EFCC or any anti-corruption body for that matter.

Nothing is gatering any steam. EFCC is failing becusae it's under the tight control of the President and the PDP machinery. It will continue to fail as long the status-quo remains.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by PointB: 2:37pm On Nov 22, 2011
^^^^
Ribadu was also appointed by the Presidency, so was Jega, and in another clime Dors Akunyili.

Sometimes it's the personality that matters at other times it is the institution. It's not rocket science to get an agency to function. Square peg, square holes.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by executinal(m): 2:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
lanre_front:

The President has no business in appointing the chairperson EFCC or any anti-corruption body for that matter.

Nothing is gatering any steam. EFCC is failing becusae it's under the tight control of the President and the PDP machinery. It will continue to fail as long the status-quo remains.
says who??, well bellow responds is for your guide
PointB:

^^^^
Ribadu was also appointed by the Presidency, so was Jega, and in another clime Dors Akunyili.

Sometimes it's the personality that matters at other times it is the institution. It's not rocket science to get an agency to function. Square peg, square holes.
gbam.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by realchange: 7:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
they should give that job to Dora Akunyili. all you really need is someone dedicated and fearless. she can be supported with experienced EFCC operatives, then watch her perform wonders.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by Beaf: 7:59pm On Nov 22, 2011
realchange:

they should give that job to Dora Akunyili. all you really need is someone dedicated and fearless. she can be supported with experienced EFCC operatives, then watch her perform wonders.

She doesn't have police experience.

@topic
The story is an usubstantiated rumour.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by realchange: 9:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
Beaf:

She doesn't have police experience.

@topic
The story is an usubstantiated rumour.

so why did the two former efcc bosses fail though they were high ranking police officers? i think that what we need is someone willing, fearless and intelligent enough to pursue thieves in public office no matter how high and how conneted. anyone fearing powers will fail, even if he is the best police officer in the world.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by Beaf: 9:51pm On Nov 22, 2011
executinal:

Tell them, bruv.

realchange:

so why did the two former efcc bosses fail though they were high ranking police officers? i think that what we need is someone willing, fearless and intelligent enough to pursue thieves in public office no matter how high and how conneted. anyone fearing powers will fail, even if he is the best police officer in the world.

You could be right, but I believe the EFCC statute demands a police officer.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by Chyz2: 10:09pm On Nov 22, 2011
I dey laugh.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by lucabrasi(m): 10:16pm On Nov 22, 2011
@poster
like you i used to be a believer in the touted GEJ change,i have since then ceased to be a believer because the man simply doesn't have a clue.let him remove waziri first before you start popping champagne, there has been a whole raft load of promises the problem is fulfilling them e.g banning importation of rice
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by realchange: 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
Beaf:

Tell them, bruv.

You could be right, but I believe the EFCC statute demands a police officer.

in other words, the EFCC act failed from inception. it is like making a labor law and saying only men should be affected by it afterall men na jaki from time. grin undecided we only end up losing the labor skills of the other 50% -the women population. nigeria never gets anything right. there are many countries where police chiefs aren't even career police people. and to think anyone can find an incorruptible nigerian police officer at that level is mere fantasy.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by Beaf: 11:06pm On Nov 22, 2011
realchange:

in other words, the EFCC act failed from inception. it is like making a labor law and saying only men should be affected by it afterall men na jaki from time. grin undecided we only end up losing the labor skills of the other 50% -the women population. nigeria never gets anything right. there are many countries where police chiefs aren't even career police people. and to think anyone can find an incorruptible nigerian police officer at that level is mere fantasy.

Our police force is bad, but the principle of sourcing EFCC bosses from there is a good one. The EFCC's job is about criminal investigations and a novice picked of the street will quickly flounder in that environment.
I would like to know one country where the police chief is not a career person; that concept is quite new to me.

I also think you are wrong that we can't find an incorruptible nigerian police officer at that level. What about men like Marvel Akpoyibo?
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by realchange: 11:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
Beaf:

Our police force is bad, but the principle of sourcing EFCC bosses from there is a good one. The EFCC's job is about criminal investigations and a novice picked of the street will quickly flounder in that environment.
I would like to know one country where the police chief is not a career person; that concept is quite new to me.

I also think you are wrong that we can't find an incorruptible nigerian police officer at that level. What about men like Marvel Akpoyibo?

we've heard of this and that nigerian police officer before. na today? lol!
tell me since 1999 which police chief performed in office. each time we appoint a new chief he goes the way of the former chief. abi dem nor go the same school? no be the same "roger" culture dem take grow.
on a very serious note, the most incorruptible officer are in the lower ranks but they may not be educated enough to  handle things like EFCC.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by realchange: 11:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
get an educated, patriotic, fearless person, he would perform wonders! remember what soyinka did with FRSC.
He is no policeman.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by realchange: 11:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
even sef appoint Arunma Oteh if she is interested. she will kick some butts.
she won't do it because it is not worth the trouble. she is already rich.
Re: Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. by lanrefront1(m): 8:47am On Nov 24, 2011
PointB:

^^^^

executinal:

says who??, well bellow responds is for your guidegbam.

I just marvel at you guys logic and arguement sometimes. All over the world, in advanced countires, it'a a well known and established fact that it is Institution that matters and not individual.

Your mentioning of some few names does not change that fact.

Bodies like INEC and EFCC (NAFDAC does not fit into the picture) are not under the control of the President in civilised democracies all over the world. Go and find out.

The RIBADU which you are talking about, can kindly please tell me what happened to him under the Yaradua Presidency, when his determination to do his job began to cross the interest of some PDP politicians and goverment officials?

I rest my case?.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Movie Makes Kenyan Soldiers Lazy. A Must Read For All Nigerians. / Why Is Gov Liyel Imoke Crying Over The Fight He Started With Akwa Ibom State. / Finally He Has Been Caught

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.