Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,799 members, 7,837,884 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom (607 Views)

Wike Waives Exec Order 21, Grants Atiku Free Use Of Stadium With Conditions / Herdsmen: We Didn’t Seek Sunday Igboho’s Help, Says Ogun / COVID-19: Buhari Approves Withdrawal Of $150m From Sovereign Wealth Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by kYjelly2: 7:12am On May 10
https://twitter.com/MarioNawfal/status/1788762910816084190

🇳🇬 U.S. CITIZEN DETAINED IN NIGERIA, $150M RANSOM DEMANDED

American and former federal agent Tigran Gambaryan, now a Binance executive, has been detained in Nigeria for over 70 days.

Nigerian authorities, after inviting him for a business meeting, are allegedly demanding over $150 million for his release, threatening to transfer him to a prison holding terrorists.

The Biden Administration has yet to respond to this situation.

Binance CEO Richard Teng criticizes Nigeria for setting a dangerous international precedent.

Source: Reuters, Colin Rugg

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by kYjelly2: 7:14am On May 10
After they will be looking for foreign investment

How do you invite an Executive to your country for a "MEETING" and then you proceed to lock up same executive that flew into your country to honor your meeting? wow

4 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by OKOATA(m): 7:17am On May 10
Bastard thiefs. 150M for what exactly? To put back the money in naira or I don't understand. Chasing shadows as usual. Awon ole..

2 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by SalamRushdie: 7:30am On May 10
It's 100 percent a kidnap
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by OKOATA(m): 7:34am On May 10
SalamRushdie:
It's 100 percent a kidnap
Yes and asking for ransom, this is the modus operandi of terrorist. Now I see why some people said our govt are involved in terrorism. Such a shame..

2 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by magoo10(m): 7:58am On May 10
Bandits everywhere even in government
Death penalty should be included for kidnappers.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Hedonisco: 8:10am On May 10
kYjelly2:

How do you invite an Executive to your country for a "MEETING" and then you proceed to lock up same executive that flew into your country to honor your meeting? wow

I'm telling you. I feel quite ashamed to be Nigerian sometimes.

2 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by ElevationD: 8:27am On May 10
Fraudulent Nigerians are presently serving jail terms in America. More Nigerians who get caught are sent to jail. Why’s he calling the world to help him out when he’s been caught subverting the economy of the entire nation. If you subvert the US economy, you’ll spend your entire life in jail. One of their executives is presently in jail, having admitted the guilt.

The only way to get him was the fake invitation to the business meeting. If the police invited him, would he have come?

He should shut his mouth and face the consequences of his actions.

4 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by kYjelly2: 8:31am On May 10
Hedonisco:

It doesn't make any sense.

Like why are they holding him?
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by kYjelly2: 8:32am On May 10
Then so many international bloggers and news sites are picking the news up.

What does Nigeria want with the Executive?
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Treadway: 8:37am On May 10
Good job. Keep up the pressure. Make I see how level-less Tinubu won't release him before the end of the month. Blaming binance for your country's woes, then thinking it is a good idea to kidnap a US citizen when there are laid down guidelines of how such an international exchange should happen.

They think what they did with Nnamdi Kanu will work in this instance. Newsflash, Tigran is NOT part-Nigerian.

The game is on.
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by kenny714433(m): 8:47am On May 10
This is serious. People are no longer patriotic to Nigeria and its a shame that Nigerian institutions like INEC, the Court, and every institutions you can think of have all contributed to this.

Of course, I can never be patriotic to a country the leaders steal and collect bribes at any given opportunity.

But why would you invite someone for meeting then go ahead to capture him?
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by bdon123(m): 10:23am On May 10
kYjelly2:

Very very wrong.u dont invite a company exec for a meeting then send him to prison.We are jst embarrassing ourselves on d international scene.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by bdon123(m): 10:26am On May 10
ElevationD:
Fraudulent Nigerians are presently serving jail terms in America. More Nigerians who get caught are sent to jail. Why’s he calling the world to help him out when he’s been caught subverting the economy of the entire nation. If you subvert the US economy, you’ll spend your entire life in jail. One of their executives is presently in jail, having admitted the guilt.

The only way to get him was the fake invitation to the business meeting. If the police invited him, would he have come?

He should shut his mouth and face the consequences of his actions.
It was not a business meeting.it was an invitation to explain their part in crypto trading in Nigeria which they honoured n sent one of their executive to liase with the Nigerian govt.It is very wrong to detain someone i invited to explain his self.u dnt know d damage this is doing to us on the international scene.

2 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by ElevationD: 10:38am On May 10
bdon123:

It was not a business meeting.it was an invitation to explain their part in crypto trading in Nigeria which they honoured n sent one of their executive to liase with the Nigerian govt.It is very wrong to detain someone i invited to explain his self.u dnt know d damage this is doing to us on the international scene.

Absolutely no damage. When people make efforts to sabotage your economy, you do not make friends with them. With the naira on a free fall and the citizens lamenting the multiplier effects, you do not hold friendly handshakes with the perpetrators.

If they were invited by the police, would they have honored it?

Granted that corruption has battered the image of the country, you do not open your eyes and watch citizens of other countries systematically impoverish your people, while they remit the returns to develop theirs.

Certainly it was not a business meeting. It was a meeting for them to explain their roles and mode of operation. Can you justify the escape of the executive presently held in Kenya? If his hands were clean, why did he run away?

Labeling a dog a bad name (in this instance the house committee on crime), does not eliminate the fact that cryptos have negative financial effects? Binance must explain how they easily sabotage the naira through foreign exchange.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 10:43am On May 10
ElevationD:

Absolutely no damage. When people make efforts to sabotage your economy, you do not make friends with them. With the naira on a free fall and the citizens lamenting the multiplier effects, you do not hold friendly handshakes with the perpetrators.

Granted that corruption has battered the image of the country, you do not open your eyes and watch citizens of other countries systematically impoverish your people, while they remit the returns to develop theirs.

Certainly it was not a business meeting. It was a meeting for them to explain their roles and mode of operation. Can you justify the escape of the executive presently held in Kenya? If his hands were clean, why did he run away?

Labeling a dog a bad name (in this instance the house committee on crime), does not eliminate the fact that cryptos have negative financial effects? Binance must explain how they easily sabotage the naira through foreign exchange.
Why don't the Government go for the Binance CEO instead
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by killsmith(f): 10:45am On May 10
Iwuanyanwu wasn't wrong when he called the coneheaded monkeys rascals. All they know is thuggery, criminality, ritual and extortion.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by killsmith(f): 10:46am On May 10
OKOATA:
Bastard thiefs. 150M for what exactly? To put back the money in naira or I don't understand. Chasing shadows as usual. Awon ole..
Money for owambe.
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by ElevationD: 10:54am On May 10
HIGHESTPOPORI:
Why don't the Government go for the Binance CEO instead

The same effect intended.

Do not forget that one was jailed last week in America. Changpeng Zhao, the the billionaire founder and former chief executive of Binance, was sentenced on Tuesday to four months in prison after pleading guilty to violating U.S. laws against money laundering at the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by ccrenda5540: 12:14pm On May 10
Its a shame to see Nigerians supporting financial terrorist whom have hurt the economy. In the name of opposition . Nigeria Ronu

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by bdon123(m): 4:53pm On May 10
ElevationD:

Sabotage ur economy how?pls giv instances.Dont forget, Nigeria does have any reasonable law guiding operations of crypto.uk has small tax cryto traders pay.truth is the detention of their executive without recourse to the law court is unlawful .There is ICC for tins like this
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Throwback: 4:56pm On May 10
kYjelly2:

Are you part of the lobby group that were promised some Bitcoins if they are released?

Or has the US or any other country the detained executives originate from, accused Nigeria of breaking its own laws or any international law?

2 Likes

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by ElevationD: 5:11pm On May 10
bdon123:

Sabotage ur economy how?pls giv instances.Dont forget, Nigeria does have any reasonable law guiding operations of crypto.uk has small tax cryto traders pay.truth is the detention of their executive without recourse to the law court is unlawful .There is ICC for tins like this

Allegation of dubious persons using Binance for:
Money laundering
Terrorist financing
Currency speculation
Market manipulation
Distorting the Nigerian economy
Weakening the Naira against other currencies

Allegations against Binance:

Tax evasion
Non payment of Value-Added Tax (VAT)
Company Income Tax
Failure to tax returns
Aiding customers to evade taxes through its platform

Do you know that last November, Binance pleaded guilty to violating U.S. anti-money-laundering requirements and agreed to pay a $4.3 billion?

Have I answered your questions?
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Lifestone(m): 5:34pm On May 10
Hedonisco:

You can renounce your citizenship. He came for a meeting, the Government asked him for specific data on top hundred users of his platform and the value, he refused. FG thinks there is money laundering, he's in court. If this loudmouthed imperialists have respect for us, they should allow our judicial system complete it's course.
Binance just paid a fine of $4million in Canada, paid billions in the USA for same offense, cooperated fully with FBI in the USA and here they are talking thrash and you guys are supporting them.
If they want this settled, they should approach the FG and enter into a term of settlement, pay up the Taxes they refused to collect and get this matter resolved.
These guys are talking to us like we are sort of inferior to them.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Hedonisco: 5:52pm On May 10
Lifestone:

You can renounce your citizenship. He came for a meeting, the Government asked him for specific data on top hundred users of his platform and the value, he refused. FG thinks there is money laundering, he's in court. If this loudmouthed imperialists have respect for us, they should allow our judicial system complete it's course.
Binance just paid a fine of $4million in Canada, paid billions in the USA for same offense, cooperated fully with FBI in the USA and here they are talking thrash and you guys are supporting them.
If they want this settled, they should approach the FG and enter into a term of settlement, pay up the Taxes they refused to collect and get this matter resolved.
These guys are talking to us like we are sort of inferior to them.
You're blowing hot air, young man. Stop making empty noise.

This guy is not Binance. He is not the CEO of Binance. In all the examples you cited, the issues have been with either the corporate entity known as Binance or with the CEO of the company.

It is unheard of anywhere in the world to kidnap middle level operatives of a corporate entity and sue them for any perceived wrongdoing committed by the company itself. This is irresponsible and barbaric, and the fact that you can't see this simple fact makes you quite an irritant.

You're asking a middle manager to release data that he cannot. Such a request should be directed to the top management/CEO of Binance. And even then, the company can refuse such a requestx because it is not domiciled in your shithole country. Imagine the Chinese government summoning Google or Facebook executives and ordering them to release user data of their Chinese users to them. What do you think would happen?

I'm sure you are educated. Put it to good use.
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Lifestone(m): 6:43pm On May 10
Hedonisco:

You're blowing hot air, young man. Stop making empty noise.

This guy is not Binance. He is not the CEO of Binance. In all the examples you cited, the issues have been with either the corporate entity known as Binance or with the CEO of the company.

It is unheard of anywhere in the world to kidnap middle level operatives of a corporate entity and sue them for any perceived wrongdoing committed by the company itself. This is irresponsible and barbaric, and the fact that you can't see this simple fact makes you quite an irritant.

You're asking a middle manager to release data that he cannot. Such a request should be directed to the top management/CEO of Binance. And even then, the company can refuse such a requestx because it is not domiciled in your shithole country. Imagine the Chinese government summoning Google or Facebook executives and ordering them to release user data of their Chinese users to them. What do you think would happen?

I'm sure you are educated. Put it to good use.
I can relate with your frustrations. You don't deserve any more response from me again for calling Nigeria a shithole. Suit yourself.

1 Like

Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by bdon123(m): 6:47pm On May 10
ElevationD:

Allegation of dubious persons using Binance for:
Money laundering
Terrorist financing
Currency speculation
Market manipulation
Distorting the Nigerian economy
Weakening the Naira against other currencies

Allegations against Binance:

Tax evasion
Non payment of Value-Added Tax (VAT)
Company Income Tax
Failure to tax returns
Aiding customers to evade taxes through its platform

Do you know that last November, Binance pleaded guilty to violating U.S. anti-money-laundering requirements and agreed to pay a $4.3 billion?

Have I answered your questions?

Us has laws that regulates entity like binance.Our laws are archaic and doesnt meet current requirements but no one wants to update becos it will hinder corruption n stealing.moreover ,they are all baseless allegations with zero evidence.it Nigeria government wanted binance to register in naija,all they had to do is ban their host site frm operating within our internet space.Binance has violated no law as they are not a business enterprise operating in Nigeria.they are web based and its easy to just ban dem which will make dem open an office in naija n become tax liable to our government.
Again,naija govt did not take dem to an international court becos they know they will loose...zero evidence.
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by Hedonisco: 6:48pm On May 10
Lifestone:

I can relate with your frustrations. You don't deserve any more response from me again for calling Nigeria a shithole. Suit yourself.

You don't have sense. Prove me wrong by proving any of my assertions wrong, with counter examples/facts!

Of course I wouldn't reply you again. You no reach.
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by bdon123(m): 6:52pm On May 10
Lifestone:

Naija is a shithole if not why kidnap a company exec u invited for meeting.u are just so used to lawlessness thats why u dont see that this is kidnap by govt.
Ok now dem arrest binance exec has that increased d value of naira?
Re: Binance Exec Calls To World For Help - Says Kidnapped In Nigeria, $150M Ransom by kYjelly2: 7:59am On May 11
Throwback:

Are you part of the lobby group that were promised some Bitcoins if they are released?

Or has the US or any other country the detained executives originate from, accused Nigeria of breaking its own laws or any international law?

Na wa gor una wey dey always use yam leg support upsidedown-ness

Yes I was promised Bitcoin

(1) (Reply)

Very Good Start / "the Seven Point Agenda" / Editorial: Amnesty, MEND And The Need For Further Dialogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.