Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,534 members, 7,843,654 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Review Of The African Prose Text Redemption Road By Elma Shaw - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Review Of The African Prose Text Redemption Road By Elma Shaw (130 Views)

Green, White And A Stain Of Red #endpolicebrutality [prose Poetry] / 'The Road To Victoria Island’: A Review Of Suraj Tunji Oyewale’s Book / Tiwatope's Redemption (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Review Of The African Prose Text Redemption Road By Elma Shaw by Barisira123(f): 11:56am On May 10
The prose text "Redemption Road"by Elma Shaw tells us about the traumatic experiences of war survivors. As seen in the case of Teenah during one of the PIP sessions, like we do say it can't be me, it can't be my mum but it did happen. The case of parents running without looking back just to survive. I felt chills and goosebumps while reading that particular chapter when she was reading her letter, how could her mother do that to her, how could she betray her own daughter, was it because she was a female child?. A child you carried nine month in your womb, breastfed and nurtured you slapped her and pushed her into the arms of bloodsucking fighters saying she's a woman and she could do anything, cook, clean and anything at all while holding on to your young borrowed boy child. I can only imagine how young and scared Teenah was having to watch your mum with tears in your eyes pushed you into the arms of those kind of people. Could it be the quest to survive, protect the male child and herself or the war just made everybody crazy like commander Cobra said.
What if she had gone with the fighters peacefully, became one of the commander's lover gained so much influence and power and decided to take revenge on her mum. I think we always say no matter who leaves family will always stay I saw quite a different approach to this while reading this prose text because people had to let go of their own just to survive, what if the fighters had brought her back to kill her mum like Bendu Lewis was made to do in the Duluma camp I guess she would have done it without even thinking about it cause the betrayal and selling out was very painful. The worst part was when they finished using her and she managed to escape she ran home to her mum naked, crying and bleeding this woman didn't even feel any bit of emotions for her own daughter she didn't take her in I can only imagine her she felt, it was a neighbor that covered her, took her in and gave her the treatment she needed. Indeed crazy things happening during war and I feel it makes the people crazy cause who will believe a mother can do this to her own child, watch your child naked and bleeding yet not feel any bit of remorse.

(1) (Reply)

UNSEEN - A Short Story / Writers Promoting Writers / Copywriter/content Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.