Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,057 members, 7,838,682 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? (1031 Views)

Nord Unveils Its New Vehicle, Norda5 / New Vehicle Registration And Renewal Fees / Nigeria’s New Vehicle Sales Drops To Abysmal 10,000 Units (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nedekid: 2:56pm On May 10
So I was chatting with a paddy the other day, he asked the question, will the average Nigerian ever buy a brand new car, enjoy the smell of new, not used accidented vehicle? I asked why, he showed me the attached price list. I was shocked.
1993 or there about, I remember being given a cheque to go purchase a brand new Toyota Celica sports car from the then westex motors on isolo road for 350k. Mint tear rubber. Same thing with a deawoo racer car for 105k.
10 years ago, a Toyota hiace was 4.6m and 5m for high roof with auto drive, I went to get a quote for a school.
A corolla or high spec Honda civic was 3.8-4m, brand new. This meant you could pay a 20% deposit and make monthly payments of 60k for 48 months. Ie in a 200-250k salary, you could conviniently own a brand new vehicle. The hyundai, Kia and other lesser brands were cheaper. Do you guys remember the hyundai i10 or Kia picanto were in the range of 890k to 1.2m?
Today after the locust regimes of the last 10 years, I dear say 99 percent of Nigerians will never know who it is to take the keys or know the smell of brand new interior, leather etc.
Gentlemen and ladies, kindly go through the current price list and share your thoughts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Hezzyluv: 3:01pm On May 10
Even the tokumbo sef, me never see money buy. However, I am optimistic as long as one keep hustling, he can buy brand new car one day.

4 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nedekid: 3:10pm On May 10
Hezzyluv:
Even the tokumbo sef, me never see money buy. However, I am optimistic as long as one keep hustling, he can buy brand new car one day.
God is our strength.

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by TheBillyonaire: 3:28pm On May 10
BYD Electric cars are as cheap as 10m
Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by sultaan(m): 4:29pm On May 10
That price is only applicable if Toyota Nigeria pays the official 100% duty and levy

a $50k highlander requires $50k tax and about $2k shipping

@$100k landing cost, and @ N1500/$ N154m seems logical

Why will the system ask for VAT again when they have already collected 3 taxes at the port duty levy , and NAC even vat

2 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by finallybusy: 4:39pm On May 10
Many Nigerians get money.

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by pafestula(m): 4:42pm On May 10
Thanks for this insightful thread.

The children of perdition won't cease to support the leaders who rendered their lives worthless, useless and subjected them into abject poverty and penury.

Next election they are under the sun again charging like solar panel, voting for their usual evil political party and screaming Batified with little or no achievements in their miserable life.

6 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nurey(m): 5:36pm On May 10
TheBillyonaire:

Remember to park it on the streets not your compound, so when it catches fire, you won't loose both car and roof

4 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Kewtt: 5:40pm On May 10
TheBillyonaire:
Link please. Me and nurey must check it out

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by TheBillyonaire: 5:43pm On May 10
nurey:

Remember to park it on the streets not your compound, so when it catches fire, you won't loose both car and roof

Typical local sense.

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nurey(m): 6:32pm On May 10
Kewtt:

Link please. Me and nurey must check it out

Me and you no dey touch Chinese EVs with even a 10 foot pole

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Kewtt: 6:37pm On May 10
nurey:

Me and you no dey touch Chinese EVs with even a 10 foot pole
Tell me about them

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nurey(m): 7:28pm On May 10
Kewtt:

Tell me about them

what is there to tell, Low quality piece of crap, with no replacement parts and after sales services.
Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Kelklein(m): 8:00pm On May 10
The way forward is Car Assembly Plants like we had during the time of PAN in the 70s, 80s and early 90's.. when average midlevel civil servant could afford a new Peugeot 405..

But in today Nigeria.. a director's annual salary stands at around 3 - 7 million.. so how does same director afford that first Toyota on that list at 100m+, he steals.. you can see the upside down country we live today.

The minister of trade said some days ago that Nigeria would soon start production which is clearly a pipe dream.. the smart thing a government can do is to get these major manufacturers of cars used predominately in Nigeria to establish Assembly Plants.. these would automatically save us fx and create lots of employment..

A country of close to 250million people can't continue this way without a good automotive policy.. getting Customs to charge Nigerians 35% import duty on imported cars is not a policy..

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nedekid: 11:13pm On May 10
Kelklein:
The way forward is Car Assembly Plants like we had during the time of PAN in the 70s, 80s and early 90's.. when average midlevel civil servant could afford a new Peugeot 405..

But in today Nigeria.. a director's annual salary stands at around 3 - 7 million.. so how does same director afford that first Toyota on that list at 100m+, he steals.. you can see the upside down country we live today.

The minister of trade said some days ago that Nigeria would soon start production which is clearly a pipe dream.. the smart thing a government can do is to get these major manufacturers of cars used predominately in Nigeria to establish Assembly Plants.. these would automatically save us fx and create lots of employment..

A country of close to 250million people can't continue this way without a good automotive policy.. getting Customs to charge Nigerians 35% import duty on imported cars is not a policy..
I think no matter what, even if all the car plants are established here, the problem is our purchasing power has been so destroyed, it is impossible to phantom the extent. Eg, about 5 years ago, at shopright anthony, I saw a brand new Toyota camry parked inside the mall along with some gac brand. The camry mint was 13m. How come today, that same camry marketed by elizade is now over 100m? In just 5 years? Howww
Money to use to build house?
A friend did litigation 9 years ago to the naira equivalent of $300k. He got judgement in his favour recently, guess what, it is no longer worth $300k, neither can the whole judgement value with 21% yearly interest buy even the cheapest car on that list. No be juju be that? By the time he goes through appeal etc and finally get the money at this rate we are going, posibbly it is only Tyre the money may buy. Lol

3 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nedekid: 11:27pm On May 10
TheBillyonaire:
Cheapest BYD I think is the seagull. About 10k usd in China. 25k in south America. To sell in eg UK, it will cost atleast 20k pounds after taxes are added. That means no way can a BYD cost ₦10m.
Guess what, late last year suzuki was doing a promo 9.7m for a brand new Korope. I hear it is now over 20m.
Even that gray color tiny suzuki car they use for taxi was about 9m then, I hear it is also almost 20m.
Nothing like ₦10m brand new car again, even the cheapest China moto or innoson pass 10m.

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Kewtt: 11:48pm On May 10
nedekid:

Cheapest BYD I think is the seagull. About 10k usd in China. 25k in south America. To sell in eg UK, it will cost atleast 20k pounds after taxes are added. That means no way can a BYD cost ₦10m.
Guess what, late last year suzuki was doing a promo 9.7m for a brand new Korope. I hear it is now over 20m.
Even that gray color tiny suzuki car they use for taxi was about 9m then, I hear it is also almost 20m.
Nothing like 10 brand new car again, even the cheapest China moto or innoson pass 10m.
Suzuki Spresso is now 20 million quid

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by TheBillyonaire: 9:20am On May 11
nedekid:

Nothing like ₦10m brand new car again, even the cheapest China moto or innoson pass 10m.

Cheapest BYD is $9K
Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by symbianDON(m): 9:55am On May 11
Over 75% of Nigerians can't even afford tokunbo cars talk more of brand new ones. Tinubu do Nigerians long thing no be small!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by drmuchin: 9:58am On May 11
APC
SONS OF LUCIFER

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Siberia01(m): 10:17am On May 11
cry
Can remember seeing my old man's Peugeot 504 manual... Bought brand new mint bestline ...
Saw like 7 receipts of brand new cars in his drawer then in the 90's
Times has changed

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Bullfallo(m): 3:28pm On May 11
APC destroyed Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by Mccollins042(m): 8:52pm On May 11
nurey:

BYD is the highest selling EV in the world ahead of Tesla. The make good cars, say what you know

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nurey(m): 9:12am On May 12
Mccollins042:

BYD is the highest selling EV in the world ahead of Tesla. The make good cars, say what you know

yes but not the cheap ones. Go and buy, did i stop you
Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by ogawisdom(m): 12:56pm On May 12
Very soon 80% won't be able to buy toks

2 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by SeaTrade(m): 7:13am On May 13
Lol,
I too wanted to buy a new ,cheap car some months back with N30m budget ,
I targeted cheap China brands as even Koreans are now overpriced .
Went to get Changan CS35 or 55,na price carry me go jeje to Toks.
Why will I buy box of matches at N43/55m?
They one I even liked and impressed with was Uni-K or so,them say na 59.5m last,I leave am march grin
Meanwhile I bought a brand new Hyundai Creta for the business 12.5m 2019,
Even I think 2022 or so when i was short of some work horses,I went to get L200 brand new and the low jack was 16.5m and Hi frame was like 21m with Auxiliary gear.
Maxus was like 18m and Changan Hunter for similar price,
Only God knows what they cost now.
This country is a very hard place to be in ,I won't lie.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by emmaodet: 7:47am On May 13
Brand new car kee?
When many using tokunbo are even sliding into Nigerian used grade.
I wanted to buy Honda cross tour for my wife last months and my budget was 7m.
Omoh....my mechanic and I was soteyyyy for Lagos, for where?
Tokunbo 11-14m and reasonable nija used 8m.
Most we saw for less than 8m are really substandard.
You will see them clean and shining on social media but when you go there with your mechanic, you will be disappointed.
7m is about 5,000 dollars and that money is more than enough to buy you a very very clean and sound second hand in UK or US if you reside there to use but here, it is an eye sore.
Most Toyota Camry 2009/10 sef are pricing 5m for nija used oooooo and you start wondering if they are really crazy.
A 14 years old nija used car and not brand new or tokunbo pricing 5m and above.
They have really messed up nija economy

4 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by emmaodet: 8:04am On May 13
nedekid:

Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!!

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by SeaTrade(m): 8:24am On May 13
emmaodet:
Brand new car kee?
When many using tokunbo are even sliding into Nigerian used grade.
I wanted to buy Honda cross tour for my wife last months and my budget was 7m.
Omoh....my mechanic and I was soteyyyy for Lagos, for where?
Tokunbo 11-14m and reasonable nija used 8m.
Most we saw for less than 8m are really substandard.
You will see them clean and shining on social media but when you go there with your mechanic, you will be disappointed.
7m is about 5,000 dollars and that money is more than enough to buy you a very very clean and sound second hand in UK or US if you reside there to use but here, it is an eye sore.
Most Toyota Camry 2009/10 sef are pricing 5m for nija used oooooo and you start wondering if they are really crazy.
A 14 years old nija used car and not brand new or tokunbo pricing 5m and above.
They have really messed up nija economy
If things don't change soon,
Nigerians will be so impoverished to the level of mass exodus.
I have never contemplated Japa,but I'm beginning to get open to the option.
The only hold back I have Is a replacement for myself or someone even smarter than me that understands my route to market like myself.
And another problem too is that I'd be exposing a lot of trade secrets to that person so much so that they can either let my competitors in on my secrets or try to throw me over.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by emmaodet: 9:23am On May 13
SeaTrade:
If things don't change soon,
Nigerians will be so impoverished to the level of mass exodus.
I have never contemplated Japa,but I'm beginning to get open to the option.
The only hold back I have Is a replacement for myself or someone even smarter than me that understands my route to market like myself.
And another problem too is that I'd be exposing a lot of trade secrets to that person so much so that they can either let my competitors in on my secrets or try to throw me over.

Unfortunately, I don't see things changing any time soon.
And tbh, I started contemplating japa too of recent.
I may have been lucky, the question remains will my children be?
Is this the atmosphere they will grow in? During their time, if they are to work, how much will be salary in relation to standard and cost of living?
About you relocating, I will say it is a very hard decision.
Since you have a successful biz here, I will advise you stay while you plan how your wife and kids will be staying abroad while you go to see them regularly or you just buy a better passport and stay here with them but can easily be entering western countries easily.
Don't ever expose the secret of your biz to another person else they will float theirs later after gathering the necessary experience while your biz goes down.
It's hard running a biz in absentia or remotely Andi believe you don't want to relocate and start doing shitty jobs to survive when you are a king here.
It is better to be a dog in the city than a dead lion in the bush

3 Likes

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by nedekid: 9:53am On May 13
SeaTrade:
Lol,
I too wanted to buy a new ,cheap car some months back with N30m budget ,
I targeted cheap China brands as even Koreans are now overpriced .
Went to get Changan CS35 or 55,na price carry me go jeje to Toks.
Why will I buy box of matches at N43/55m?
They one I even liked and impressed with was Uni-K or so,them say na 59.5m last,I leave am march grin
Meanwhile I bought a brand new Hyundai Creta for the business 12.5m 2019,
Even I think 2022 or so when i was short of some work horses,I went to get L200 brand new and the low jack was 16.5m and Hi frame was like 21m with Auxiliary gear.
Maxus was like 18m and Changan Hunter for similar price,
Only God knows what they cost now.
This country is a very hard place to be in ,I won't lie.
Oga, you are on point, 3 or so years ago we got that hyundai creta for 13.5, they tried convincing us to go for the changan that is was a little cheaper or same price(can't remember), but they said it was a better car with more options and a little bigger. But we because of name went for hyundai.
I hear those cars now are over 40m each.
How will someone that earns even 1m monthly ever afford to buy brand new?

1 Like

Re: Will 99% Of Nigerians Ever Ride A Brand New Vehicle Ever Again? by SeaTrade(m): 10:33am On May 13
emmaodet:

Unfortunately, I don't see things changing any time soon.
And tbh, I started contemplating japa too of recent.
I may have been lucky, the question remains will my children be?
Is this the atmosphere they will grow in? During their time, if they are to work, how much will be salary in relation to standard and cost of living?
About you relocating, I will say it is a very hard decision.
Since you have a successful biz here, I will advise you stay while you plan how your wife and kids will be staying abroad while you go to see them regularly or you just buy a better passport and stay here with them but can easily be entering western countries easily.
Don't ever expose the secret of your biz to another person else they will float theirs later after gathering the necessary experience while your biz goes down.
It's hard running a biz in absentia or remotely Andi believe you don't want to relocate and start doing shitty jobs to survive when you are a king here.
It is better to be a dog in the city than a dead lion in the bush
On point,
All these are what's holding me back.
I just want somewhere stable,peaceful.
Live a cool quiet life and go in peace.
As for kids and wife,I don't have them now,I don't even see it in the next 7yrs.
Still free,the only thing na this business.
I wonder how all these big corporations manage to run without their owners successfully.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nissan Leaf To Self Park It Self **NISSAN Is Taking Automobile Into A New Level* / Car Brands: Who Owns What? / Photo: Tragedy As Pedestrian Bridge Fell On Taxi In Kano, Four Killer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.