Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,882 members, 7,844,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video (24633 Views)

Abroad-based Nigerian Man Dies 2 Days After Landing In Nigeria (photo, Video) / Why Boeing 747 Aircrafts Have A Giant Hump In The Front / How The Wheel Of A Boeing 747 Aircraft Is Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by handsomeyinka(m): 10:24am On May 14
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by jude33084(m): 10:25am On May 14
Was the capatain a former Ryan Air pilot? cheesy
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by ZUBY77(m): 10:27am On May 14
ify2016:
Thank God. Aircraft owners should always think of how to sustain ethic of airspace safety and less on money pursuit

Awlays stick to your Thank God, which is what Nigeria and black Africa is known for. They don't need your advice.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by mofedamijo(m): 10:27am On May 14
YorubaLord:

Really, Airbus.. German? Abeg go do ur research well.

Airbus isn't German, it's French

You need to do your research. Airbus Industrie started off as a cooperation model between European governments, in order to compete against US manufacturers (Boeing, McD, Lockheed), and initially included France (Aerospatiale), Germany (Daimler Aerospace), England (British Aerospace), Spain (CASA
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by DrMuzungu(m): 10:30am On May 14
Racoon:
Though it was a hard landing, and no tail strike, thank goodness, disaster was avoided. Mistakes - whether man-made or not, are not often forgiven in the aviation world.

Thought these queens of the sky - Boeing 747 jumbos have been replaced by the A380s as many have retired their fleets?

Tailstrikes typically happen on takeoffs, not on landings, when a pilot pulls the controls back too quickly.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by YorubaLord: 10:30am On May 14
CSTRR:

Airbus S.A.S., European aircraft manufacturer that is the world's second largest maker of commercial aircraft (after Boeing Co.). It is co-owned by the German-French-Spanish European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), with an 80% interest, and Britain's BAE Systems, with 20%.

https://www.britannica.com/summary/Airbus-Industrie#:~:text=Airbus%20S.A.S.%2C%20European%20aircraft%20manufacturer,BAE%20Systems%2C%20with%2020%25.

French Airplane manufacturer is Dassault.

Sir, Airbus is French, simple! You're referring to strategic partnership stakeholders' venture from other nations. That's common. Those nations own a stake in the company not the majority owner.

Just like Mercedes-Benz is German, yet strategically acquired and owned by Daimler-Chrysler, an American company before its divestiture.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by yewit37486: 10:31am On May 14
After they've offed all the whistleblowers.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by seunajia: 10:33am On May 14
CSTRR:
The beauty of international trade and reduction of trade deficits.
Airbus , a German airplane manufacturer is the biggest in the world, and yet Lufthansa German airline had to buy some amount of Boeing planes(an American plane)

Not nitpicking. It is not totally correct to call Airbus German. It's owned in part by the French, German, and Spanish governments as well as other investors.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by pquaver(m): 10:37am On May 14
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Nukilia: 10:37am On May 14
jmoore:
The airline was not suspended. But Keyamo suspended dana airline. Mumu minister!

I see what you're doing there
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Corrections: 10:40am On May 14
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Resetinc: 10:41am On May 14
DrMuzungu:

Tailstrikes typically happen on takeoffs, not on landings, when a pilot pulls the controls back too quickly.

Tailstrikes can happen on landing… especially with such a heavy plane. The pilots did excellently well aborting landing after touch down twice. It takes full flaps, max thrust and expertise maneuver to execute that.
The 2nd attempt was perfect and they landed safely.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by CaptainFM1: 10:42am On May 14
Professionally handled.

1 Like

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Dennisochampa: 10:45am On May 14
princepee:
Air peace All the way!
This why I still prefer air peace any day.
All this old airlines are outdated.
My air peace trip from Lagos to Abuja was very peaceful.
Am gonna do Lagos London route soon.
Dey decieve yourself

2 Likes

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by tishbite42: 10:45am On May 14
CSTRR:
The beauty of international trade and reduction of trade deficits.
Airbus , a German airplane manufacturer is the biggest in the world, and yet Lufthansa German airline had to buy some amount of Boeing planes(an American plane)
Haba, Airbus is French
Even at that, I get and understand your message
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by jaxxy(m): 10:47am On May 14
HE rushed the landing the first time but got it the 2nd time. Nice Controls
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Bekermann(m): 10:50am On May 14
princepee:
Air peace All the way!
This why I still prefer air peace any day.
All this old airlines are outdated.
My air peace trip from Lagos to Abuja was very peaceful.
Am gonna do Lagos London route soon.

So Air Peace is a better Airline than Lufthansa?

2 Likes

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Bekermann(m): 10:52am On May 14
YorubaLord:

Really, Airbus.. German? Abeg go do ur research well.

Airbus isn't German, it's French

It’s not French either. It’s a European Multinational.

1 Like

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Achoghim: 10:54am On May 14
Saying that Boeing 747 is being replaced by the A380s shows you know nothing about aviation. Lol
Racoon:
Though it was a hard landing, and no tail strike, thank goodness, disaster was avoided. Mistakes - whether man-made or not, are not often forgiven in the aviation world.

Thought these queens of the sky - Boeing 747 jumbos have been replaced by the A380s as many have retired their fleets?

2 Likes

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Corrections: 10:54am On May 14
Resetinc:

Tailstrikes can happen on landing… especially with such a heavy plane. The pilots did excellently well aborting landing after touch down twice. It takes full flaps, max thrust and expertise maneuver to execute that.
The 2nd attempt was perfect and they landed safely.

I believe you wrong. You don’t take full flaps with max thrust to climb bros……. that will be a disaster. The plane will stall even though the engines will be running.

I believe this is what he must had done…….. after realizing he will overshoot the runway, he returned the flap back to 10 degree or 20degree, then he increased power thrust while ensuring that the plane’s nose does not climb over the angle of attack of the planes wing. There after he retracted the landing gear.

Many plane accidents had happened in the past due to this simple error I just explained. Those pilots in this incident forget to return the flap back to where it should be before increasing throttle power to max. Pilot’s human error is responsible for some airplane crashes not that such plane had any technical fault or problem.

2 Likes

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by adeniyi65(m): 10:57am On May 14
inoki247:
Lol the way we get report on Airplane everyday will make you think road is the safest whereas people die on the road daily....
Thank you. No transport mode is free of disaster.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Bekermann(m): 11:02am On May 14
It happened last month… I’m not a pilot but the go-around option executed by the pilots is the safest line of action. This is because he’s passed the threshold on the runway and the plane is most likely gonna overshoot.

People should know that to obtain a rating on the B747 is no mean feat.

1 Like

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by godofuck231: 11:04am On May 14
Inexperienced pilot handling a heavy fuselage, dropping the throttle speed quickly drop the nose , its clear the flight computer is bad which would have calculated the number of factors which have to be taken into account, including runway length, wind speed, temperature, and most importantly the weight of the aircraft. In older aircraft these calculations were performed by the pilots before takeoff.
What saved that plane was the Instrument landing system (ILS) glide slope and it overrides any auto-throttle mode which would keep the aircraft in landing configuration. On Airbus aircraft, it does not disengage the autopilot but causes it to stop following the ILS and to perform the go-around maneuver automatically. In an emergency situation, using a TO/GA switch is often the quickest way of increasing thrust to abort a landing .
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by snowball11(m): 11:08am On May 14
During take-off and landing is how you know a good pilot.

Once been on a plane and during landing, the plane kept bouncing repeatedly as it touched the ground!

It was scary as shit! grin
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by NairalandGOAT1: 11:09am On May 14
I should be on my first flight in less than a month 🛫✈️

But I still dey reason am ooh... I fit decide follow GIGM then I pocket the balance 😆

No be to enter plane come go dey 'ey hungry for yonder biko... My people una advise dey very necessary at this juncture! Wetin una think? Talk to a brother ejor
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Dee60: 11:11am On May 14
kelvinalvin1:
Regards brother your aquinted with the aviation world..kudus

A380s are no longer in production. It is being phased out already due to operational costs.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by kings59: 11:19am On May 14
That was pilot error. When landing a plane in a storm or thunderstorm, you need to calculate the head wind and the tail wind.

Head wind is the wind coming from the front, while tail wind is the wind coming from behind.

Take for instance, you are running and feeling the air on your face ( head wind) and also, running and feeling the air coming from behind( tail wind)

If the head wind is coming at 80km/h, your landing speed should be be 60 km/h.

If the tail wind is 80km/h, then the landing speed should be120km/h.

I think the head speed was more which was why the plane bounced twice as it hits the ground.

It was a nice thing he perfected the second landing after raising the nose up, and then correcting the angle of attack immediately preceding landing

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Resetinc: 11:21am On May 14
Corrections:

I believe you wrong. You don’t take full flaps with max thrust to climb bros……. that will be a disaster. The plane will stall even though the engines will be running.

I believe this is what he must had done…….. after realizing he will overshoot the runway, he returned the flap back to 10 degree or 20degree, then he increased power thrust while ensuring that the plane’s nose does not climb over the angle of attack of the planes wing. There after he retracted the landing gear.
You’re right about the flaps settings. But max thrust is required to climb at that low level.
Thanks for the correction

2 Likes

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by Predonshire: 11:21am On May 14
Win your share of the #100k prize for followership shocked shocked shocked

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by BestTrades: 11:25am On May 14

To check vehicle history (Vin check)of any car.

For comprehensive vehicle history report .

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty....

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

For Custom Duty Verification .. .
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by ovie8200: 11:46am On May 14
But you people like post very very old story sha like its new. Something that happened over two weeks ago.
Re: Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 Makes Heavy Landing In Los Angeles: Video by zomby(m): 11:46am On May 14
Racoon:

2 things happened here:
1. The pilot that made the first attempt to land will be immediately pulled from duty. He will return to the Lufthansa training facility for intense training sessions for a couple of months before returning back to duty.

2. The pilot that eventually landed the plane is not the same pilot that made the first attempt.. Believe it or not, for an international flight, there are at least 3 pilots on board. I'm 100% certain that the captain took over after the failed first attempt.

Thank God that eventually all went well...No major injuries!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Train Carrying Soft Drinks Derails In Kaduna Killing Driver / Immigration Uses Torchlight To Register Passengers At Lagos Airport / Subsidy: Sanwo-Olu Announces 50% Reduction In Transport Fares, Other Palliatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.