Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,529 members, 7,850,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:20 AM

The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John (493 Views)

The Word And The Watchtower: An Exegesis Of John 1:1 / Powerful Worship Quotes And Sayings In English / Parallel Sayings In The Bible And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Kobojunkie: 2:44am On May 16
AbuTwins:
β–  Too many people with low IQ around! The "I am" statements should be followed by a metaphor!
Does saying "I am Nigerian, " imply that the I am statement is followed by a Metaphor? undecided

β–Ά in the Gospel according to John, Jesus Christ saying, "I am the Bread of Life," implies that if one does not eat the bread and drink the wine in remembrance of Jesus Christ, as specified in Matthew 26 vs 26- 28, not only would one not have the Life that is Jesus Christ, but it equally means one cannot be a follower of Jesus Christ. There is nothing metaphorical --- of comparison --- about any of the above. undecided
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Qasim6(m): 7:02am On May 16
AbuTwins:

Too many people with low IQ around!
The "I am" statements should be followed by a metaphor!

Salam Bro

It is very tiring to debate this people.

They will know what you are talking about but they will pretend as if they are dull just to reject the truth. Once you notice that behaviour, just ignore them. Don't allow them drag you down the rabbit hole.

1 Like

Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 9:36am On May 16
Qasim6:

Salam Bro

It is very tiring to debate this people.

They will know what you are talking about but they will pretend as if they are dull just to reject the truth. Once you notice that behaviour, just ignore them. Don't allow them drag you down the rabbit hole.

Jazaak Allahu khayr bro.
Assalamu alaikum!
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 9:46am On May 16
Kobojunkie:
Does saying "I am Nigerian, " imply that the I am statement is followed by a Metaphor? undecided
Where can we find that in the OP?

β–Ά in the Gospel according to John, Jesus Christ saying, "I am the Bread of Life," implies that if one does not eat the bread and drink the wine in remembrance of Jesus Christ, as specified in Matthew 26 vs 26- 28, not only would one not have the Life that is Jesus Christ, but it equally means one cannot be a follower of Jesus Christ. There is nothing metaphorical --- of comparison --- about any of the above. undecided
What type of bread? Agege Bread, Milk bread, Coconut bread, Sardine bread, Butter bread....

I am the bread of life is a metaphor!
And no typical Jew will drink wine and lie they are drinking blood! Lev 17:11, Acts 15:20.
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Kobojunkie: 12:57pm On May 16
AbuTwins:
Where can we find that in the OP? What type of bread? Agege Bread, Milk bread, Coconut bread, Sardine bread, Butter bread.... I am the bread of life is a metaphor! And no typical Jew will drink wine and lie they are drinking blood! Lev 17:11, Acts 15:20.
Look at him desperately trying to deviate from the main here!! 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

Again, the point is where Jesus Christ is written to have said, "I am the Bread of Life," it was no metaphor or allegory but a declaration that the bread which He said is His Life offered to those who would partake of the New Agreement which He embodies is literal. grin
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 1:17pm On May 16
Kobojunkie:
Look at him desperately trying to deviate from the main here!! 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

Again, the point is where Jesus Christ is written to have said, "I am the Bread of Life," it was no metaphor or allegory but a declaration that the bread which He said is His Life offered to those who would partake of the New Agreement which He embodies is literal. grin

So Jesus is a bread literally now? I just ate Jesus with beans then!
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Kobojunkie: 1:20pm On May 16
AbuTwins:
β–  So Jesus is a bread literally now? I just ate Jesus with beans then!
If you wish to believe that, that is fine by me! grin

So long as it is clear that His declarations found in the Gospels - Matthew 26 vs 20 - 28 & John 6 vs 25 - 57 - more than prove that Jesus Christ meant a literal interpretation of His words, "I am the bread of Life," a reality different from that which you originally claimed. grin
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 5:07pm On May 16
Kobojunkie:
If you wish to believe that, that is fine by me! grin

So long as it is clear that His declarations found in the Gospels - Matthew 26 vs 20 - 28 & John 6 vs 25 - 57 - more than prove that Jesus Christ meant a literal interpretation of His words, "I am the bread of Life," a reality different from that which you originally claimed. grin

Now i agree!
Jesus is bread!
Jesus is the light of the world! When God created light in Genesis na Jesus he create so!
Jesus is the gate of the sheep! Whenever the sheep chop finish they will enter house gate = Jesus!
Jesus is the good shepherd! Jesus get many sheep and cattle! And he is good to them!
Jesus is the true vine! Jesus is a plant!
Are you happy being literal now?
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On May 16
AbuTwins:
βˆ† Now i agree!
Jesus is bread!
Jesus is the light of the world! When God created light in Genesis na Jesus he create so!
Jesus is the gate of the sheep! Whenever the sheep chop finish they will enter house gate = Jesus!
Jesus is the good shepherd! Jesus get many sheep and cattle! And he is good to them!
Jesus is the true vine! Jesus is a plant!
Are you happy being literal now?
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Again, the claims made in your OP regarding the Gospel of John and the "I am" statements are of ignorance of content of the Gospels.. undecided
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by NNTR: 9:40pm On May 16
AbuTwins:
The "I am" sayings in the Gospel of John are significant statements where Jesus uses the phrase "I am" followed by a metaphorical description, such as "I am the bread of life" or "I am the light of the world." These statements are unique to the Gospel of John and are not found in the other Gospels.

I am the bread of life (John 6:35)
I am the light of the world (John 8:12)
I am the gate for the sheep (John 10:7)
I am the good shepherd (John 10:11)
I am the resurrection and the life (John 11:25)
I am the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6)
I am the true vine (John 15:1)

In terms of modern scholarship and research, there is ongoing debate about whether these "I am" sayings can be directly traced back to the historical Jesus, considering that the Gospel of John was written later than the other Gospels. Here are some key points to consider:

- **Scholarly Views**: Some scholars argue that the "I am" sayings in John represent theological reflections and interpretations by the Johannine community rather than direct quotes from Jesus. They view these statements as a literary device used by the author of John to convey theological truths about Jesus.

- **Historical Authenticity**: Due to the unique nature of these sayings in the Gospel of John and the theological themes they emphasize, some scholars are cautious about attributing them directly to the historical Jesus. They suggest that these sayings may reflect the beliefs and teachings of the early Christian community that developed over time.

- **Contextual Considerations**: The Gospel of John is known for its distinctive theological and literary style compared to the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke). The "I am" sayings play a central role in John's presentation of Jesus as the divine Son of God, which differs from the portrayal in the other Gospels.

In summary, while the "I am" sayings in the Gospel of John provide valuable insights into the theological perspectives of the early Christian community, their direct connection to the historical Jesus is a matter of scholarly debate. The unique theological emphasis and literary style of the Gospel of John suggest that these sayings may reflect the beliefs and interpretations of the Johannine community rather than verbatim statements spoken by Jesus during his ministry.

lipsrsealed

NNTR:
Hmm ....

You're way too far down the rabbit hole bro. I had a peer review look, and I resigned to doing a smh

He came into His creation as Jesus, because of many reasons, which I'll will list a few for you
1. In order to operate legally and lawfully on earth, one requires a human being body, hence God aka YHWH, aka Yahweh, required a human being body and/or flesh.
2. The name Jesus actually, in Hebrew is Yahshua, and in fact means, Yahweh Saves, or Salvation comes from Yahweh or Yahweh gives Salvation
3. The legal, lawful and legitimate way for entry into earth and to operate is via the door, hence the reason why God asked for Mary's consent first to use her door

Yes, God is known as I AM, I AM, aka I AM, that, I AM, but the Tetragrammaton, transliterated in four letters as YHWH or JHVH and/or articulated as Yahweh or Jehovah is not God's personal name (i.e. YHWH, aka Yahweh or even Jehovah, is not God's personal name.)

Yahweh or Jehovah, is a verbalisation of the tetragrammaton YHWH, and it is a descriptive expression, making a declaration that God will become that He will become.

It is within God's power to be I AM then fill in the blanks, aka YHWH, aka, the tetragrammaton, verbalised as Yahweh or Jehovah, and is capable of SENDING Himself, as the same person, to earth, in the person of Jesus Christ, being God Incarnate.

Reiterating, God's personal name is unknown. Period. In fact, no human being can know God's personal name, but its not just that alone, no human being can physically see God. The means for overcoming the latter (i.e. no human being can physically see God' problem or limitation) has its solution in Jesus Christ, God Incarnate. We get to physically see God and live, (i.e. not die) by proxy, Jesus Christ (i.e. .... Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father John 14:9b)

The implication of the descriptor, I AM, I AM, which in Hebrew is yhwh and when verbalised is pronounced as Yahweh, is that God will become whatever is necessary for God to carry out and achieve His plan(s), even if that includes, God becoming a human being, a man

You mixing everything up into a chaotic jumble

What Exodus 6:3 was explaining to Moses, is that the experience of God, that the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, had of Him was about Him being Influential and Powerful, but that Reputation wise speaking, the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, never had that opportunity of experiencing what His fame, greatness and pre eminence is

If tbh, when it comes to the crunch, what it would come down to, what would really matter, will be Romans 10:9. There is no two ways about this redeeming grace of God, my brother. Jesus Christ, is the watertight sudden intervention of God's saving grace.

Trust me, YHWH is Jesus Christ and vice versa. What you think Jesus is called Emmanuel for?. Or what does Emmanuel imply, huh?

cc vannessa7

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
John 1:1
In the beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ),
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God Himself.

John 18:6
When Jesus said, β€œI am He,”
they drew back and fell to the ground.

Exodus 3:14
God replied to Moses, β€œ I Am Who I Am.
Say this to the people of Israel:
I Am has sent me to you.”

AbuTwins, in an inexhaustible way or manner tell, who you are, essentially fill your boots, tell as much as possible who you are (e.g. sex, status, what your stature is et cetera)
I'll set you off with this about you:
1. I am AbuTwins
2. I am one of two children born at the same birth (i.e. other half of a twin)
3. I am a respectable poster on NL

Now AbuTwins beloved, after reading Exodus 3:14 & John 1:1 in addition to participating in the above loosening up exercise, did it open anything up at all for you?

Well, you might have noticed that, you are, who you had above said, you are. (i.e. you are who, the 'I am' says/said you are)

Yes, two of the most powerful words in the world for both God and gods (i.e. you, I everyone) are 'I AM' and/or 'I am'. This for the simple fact that evidently whatever you put behind those two words (i.e. 'I AM' and/or 'I am') is your reality (i.e. something about you that has an existence and/or substance)

Do not underestimate or underrate the power of 'I AM' and/or 'I am', as John 18:6 above demonstrated how powerful the force in those two words is

Also 'I AM ...' and/or 'I am ...' is one of the most powerful statements one can ever make, simply because what follows 'I am' can make or break, can change the course of your life for good or bad, for the better or worse, for the best or worst, hence the reason why one needs to watch how they two words are used

Essentially God in Exodus 3:14 above is the same person (i.e. God) in both John 1:1 and John 18:6.

God didnt answer Moses' question about what God's personal is, but rather God's response was, tell the Isrealites that 'I AM I AM' sent you to them.
'I AM, I AM' carries a connotation of 'I AM ....' fill in the blanks as much as you are able to and/or capable of.

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 8:53am On May 17
Kobojunkie:
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Again, the claims made in your OP regarding the Gospel of John and the "I am" statements are of ignorance of content of the Gospels.. undecided

You sef dey laugh!

Jesus is many things he's not according to the Bible.
Anyone can interpret and get what they want from it.
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On May 17
AbuTwins:
β–  You sef dey laugh! Jesus is many things he's not according to the Bible. Anyone can interpret and get what they want from it.
Of course, I laugh at how sly folks who are ignorant can get. Scripture is not the source of your confusion, I am afraid, as your many posts are instead born of ignorance of what is written in it. The only one between the two of us here using any interpretation magic is you since interpretation is what ignorant folks resort to for the most part in this case evidenced by your claims which contravene what is written. grin

Jesus Christ literally described Himself as the bread and wine that He gave His followers to eat in remembrance of Himβ€” It is my body, this is my blood...; they each ate that bread and drank the wine with the understanding that what they partook of was the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ, the only way to obtain the Eternal Life and hence resurrection that Jesus Christ embodiesβ€” the life of a man is in His blood. undecided

When He said He was the Bread of Life it is more than obvious He was being literal. Now, your mind may not be able to wrap itself around the statement and belief, and that is OK. But at least try to be honest. grin
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 4:16pm On May 17
Kobojunkie:
Of course, I laugh at how sly folks who are ignorant can get. Scripture is not the source of your confusion, I am afraid, as your many posts are instead born of ignorance of what is written in it. The only one between the two of us here using any interpretation magic is you since interpretation is what ignorant folks resort to for the most part in this case evidenced by your claims which contravene what is written. grin

Jesus Christ literally described Himself as the bread and wine that He gave His followers to eat in remembrance of Himβ€” It is my body, this is my blood...; they each ate that bread and drank the wine with the understanding that what they partook of was the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ, the only way to obtain the Eternal Life and hence resurrection that Jesus Christ embodiesβ€” the life of a man is in His blood. undecided

When He said He was the Bread of Life it is more than obvious He was being literal. Now, your mind may not be able to wrap itself around the statement and belief, and that is OK. But at least try to be honest. grin

When he said he was the bread of life it is literal so they at him literally!
They also drank his blood literally too!
When a typical Jew will never play with wine calling it blood!
Abeg rest!
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On May 17
AbuTwins:
β–  When he said he was the bread of life it is literal so they at him literally! They also drank his blood literally too! When a typical Jew will never play with wine calling it blood! Abeg rest!
Now he resorts to yammering! Take your advice there and rest! πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
Re: The "I Am" Sayings In The Book Of John by AbuTwins: 7:06am On May 20
Kobojunkie:
Now he resorts to yammering! Take your advice there and rest! πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

I don rest before!

Literal indeed!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thank God / Fully Functional Website For N12,000 / Thank Gob For Etisalat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.