Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,664 members, 7,851,266 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:04 PM

"NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules (13561 Views)

COVID-19: Vaccination Not Compulsory For Civil Servants - FG / Using Saliva As Sexual Lubricant Can Spread HIV, Hepatitis — Physicians / NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by Soknown: 9:55am On May 15
NBA, NMA.... NANMN loading.......
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by HRMK: 10:08am On May 15
but they are supposed to be registered by the body!that simply is encouraging quacks and more deaths!!
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by andy4d2ofus(m): 10:26am On May 15
hopeforcharles:
Wahala. So I fit just wear lab coat, steal or modify certificate then boom I am a doctor.

Oys na . let's test it with you . Good luck
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by Metronomy(m): 10:45am On May 15
From the comments here, I shame for this country wey be Nigeria, many people no dey read to understand, No wonder fake news travels faster in Nigeria
I'm not a medical professional but from this article, I understand that there is difference between the association and the license authority. The association is just using the license authority to carry out their taxation
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by Gajagojo: 11:07am On May 15
ElevationD:

Mr. I too know. Please read and stop this arrogant display of lack of reading culture and blatant ignorance. You know it and yet you failed to read the published story.

I quoted what I read and here it is again below:

“It was reported that he also sought a court order declaring NMA membership as voluntary and that he has the right to resign his membership from the association and still practise as a medical doctor.

However, in 2020, upon payment for the renewal of his practicing licence, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria insisted that the payment of the Nigerian Medical Association’s building levy was compulsory for all doctors in Nigeria before practising licence could be renewed and indeed made it a precondition for the mandatory renewal of the practising license for the year and without any legal justification”.

Looking through that is it not obvious to you that his membership was predicated on payment of levies and the rates were not justifiable to him? Added to it was the lack of proper democratic practices that did not suit him. He went to court and he won.

The MDCN issues licenses and were sued along with NMA. The story says that MDCN insisted. The word insisted was there. All the man wanted (just like many others who could not summon courage), was to cut off his perceived yoke of the associations, off his neck.

“License is not a qualification”? And yet the renewal of his license was hinged upon his payment of the levies? Who issues licenses that need to be renewed? You?

“..if you choose to go abroad”. Who’s talking about that? We are talking about medical practice in Nigeria, oga loud mouth.

Clueless people who ask questions and read properly, are more knowledgeable than arrogant people, who claim to know all and yet fail the basic things.

Oga read the entire story word by word. If you do not understand it in English, please translate it to your language, for better understanding.

You still do not understand simple English

The NMA do not issue licences full stop

Every other thing is waffle and noise

All I know is the NMA do not issue licences

All that explanation you will do it ad nausaem

NMA do not issue licences

They have no such power

BY LAW

The NMDC is a body set up by law BY THE GOVERNMENT to issue licences to doctors

It is a statutory body

The NMA is not a statutory body and has illegally been using the NMDC to collect its membership dues thereby creating the illusion that membership is compulsory .

Now the courts have put that matter to rest

That is the summary
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by jaephoenix(m): 11:25am On May 15
ElevationD:

A little bit of reading would have helped you.

“ On September 20, 2021, SaharaReporters reported that Olusola Adeyelu had sued NMA and MDCAN over the alleged imposition of unjustifiable charges on medical practitioners. It was reported that he also sought a court order declaring NMA membership as voluntary and that he has the right to resign his membership from the association and still practise as a medical doctor.

However, in 2020, upon payment for the renewal of his practicing licence, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria insisted that the payment of the Nigerian Medical Association’s building levy was compulsory for all doctors in Nigeria before practising licence could be renewed and indeed made it a precondition for the mandatory renewal of the practising license for the year and without any legal justification”.

That’s the story!
And we are telling you it is MDCN that charged for the license fee there and not NMA. They just included the NMA fees there which is illegal by the way. NMA cannot make their fees compulsory
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by ElevationD: 12:15pm On May 15
Gajagojo:

You still do not understand simple English

The NMA do not issue licences full stop

Every other thing is waffle and noise

All I know is the NMA do not issue licences

All that explanation you will do it ad nausaem

NMA do not issue licences

They have no such power

BY LAW

The NMDC is a body set up by law BY THE GOVERNMENT to issue licences to doctors

It is a statutory body

The NMA is not a statutory body and has illegally been using the NMDC to collect its membership dues thereby creating the illusion that membership is compulsory .

Now the courts have put that matter to rest

That is the summary

Learn to discuss and make observations with decorum. Some people want to share ideas and get better informed through media spaces like this.

I wasn’t talking about NMA and its functions. I only simply responded to what I read regarding what played out.

I believe that you finally got to read what I read and that informed your clarification. If you continued arguing unreasonably, I would not have bothered to respond anymore to you.
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by Gajagojo: 1:39pm On May 15
ElevationD:

Learn to discuss and make observations with decorum. Some people want to share ideas and get better informed through media spaces like this.

I wasn’t talking about NMA and its functions. I only simply responded to what I read regarding what played out.

I believe that you finally got to read what I read and that informed your clarification. If you continued arguing unreasonably, I would not have bothered to respond anymore to you.
This is what you said ignorantly
ElevationD:
Having spent all the years training to become a medical doctor, you are still not qualified until you get your practicing license from the NMA.
!

It is wrong

The NMA do not issue licences

You clearly have not comprehended what you read

There is nothing else in contention

THE NMA DO NOT ISSUE LICENCES

They do not have such power or authority

The body for that is the NMDC that is set up by an Act of parliament/legislation
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by onuman: 7:05pm On May 16
jaephoenix:

I have been practicing for nearly 20 years without giving a fvck about NMA Meetings or dues(apart from the few occasions MDCN forced me to pay their dues) and I have no need for them. Now that I'm leaving, they can go suck a dicck
What a doctor writing on the SM like an ocho passenger (motor park tout). Don't let trained doctors see you there. Little wonder you abhor the NMA and even the NMDC.

Abi you be native doctor??
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by jaephoenix(m): 6:55pm On May 17
onuman:

What a doctor writing on the SM like an ocho passenger (motor park tout). Don't let trained doctors see you there. Little wonder you abhor the NMA and even the NMDC.

Abi you be native doctor??
U can succk a big one like NMA too since you choose to be ignorant and don't want to learn
Re: "NMA Membership Not Compulsory For Physicians" - Court Rules by Dlemy: 2:51pm On May 19
Happy Sunday
Doctors, Pharmacist, Hospital and Admin Store Personnel in the house.
Kindly assist connect me with medical equipment or medicine delivery job (Medical Courier)
I have my own bus to do the delivery job but I need contacts within Lagos and it environment please.
Reach me on : 08148064886.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Medical Tourism: Senate Moves To Block Revenue Leakages, Exodus Of Doctors, ... / What Drugs Makes U Gain Weight? / APETAMIN weight gain Syrup(supplement)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.