Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,556 members, 7,843,734 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory (1067 Views)

Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. / How Do I Boost My Retentive Memory? / My Rich Brother Does Not Care About Us.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Kobojunkie: 1:15pm On May 15
1Sharon:
∆ He has a point. Breastfeeding increases intelligence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8894195/#:~:text=Breastfeeding%20was%20positively%20associated%20with,%2Dbreastfed%20participants%20(19).
OP dey talk Memory here not IQ. A person with low IQ can still have excellent memory. undecided
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by 1Sharon(f): 1:15pm On May 15
bosco9:

I can swear with my life I have retentive memory than your entire generation

God pun!sh you, u Don pay school fee once, you Don run school run under hot sun with all the stress.

This defensive response tells me no.

1 Like

Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by 1Sharon(f): 1:42pm On May 15
Kobojunkie:
OP dey talk Memory here not IQ. A person with low IQ can still have excellent memory. undecided

Well OP hinted at her intelligence/ IQ here:

this smartness and sharpness does not reflect on her academics, I just found out from her today that she copies her classwork from her classmates.

You can't really retain what you don't understand. What gives OP the right to physically discipline his daughter for not being "book smart" ?
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by 1Sharon(f): 1:46pm On May 15
Mindlog:

My 9 to 5 job revolves around early brain development, so I am very much aware of the positive impact of breastfeeding in a child's cognitive development but does the guy have the child's breastfeeding history that he went straight to blame the mother?

There are millions of children who were exclusively breastfed for a extended period of time but still struggles with learning difficulties.

I see what you're saying. But most african mothers don't breastfeed for long enough. It's an informed assumption to make.
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On May 15
1Sharon:
∆ Well OP hinted at her intelligence/ IQ here:
You can't really retain what you don't understand. What gives OP the right to physically discipline his daughter for not being "book smart" ?
The child does well with smartphones and figuring out passwords so IQ is OK. Memory, particularly short-term which deals with recalling what you have recently experienced, seems to be where the complaint lies. undecided

Of course, I don't support OP flogging the child but I fit talk today till tomorrow and OP no go care. undecided
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Mindlog: 2:17pm On May 15
1Sharon:

I see what you're saying. But most african mothers don't breastfeed for long enough. It's an informed assumption to make.

He didn't do any history taking with the mother of the child nor did he even assume but went all out and declared the mother being at fault
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by fyzaila: 2:56pm On May 15
bosco9:
My 6 years old daughter does not have retentive memory, I really think she has a bad memory but yet again, there are somethings she can easily remember.

For example, she can read A-Z very well, but when asked to identify a letter randomly she finds it difficult to identify letter, I, j, g, t, s, h.

The major issues now is that when you help her to identify any of the difficult letters, she forgets it almost immediately, like, you can tell her this is letter 'g' if you ask her in the next two seconds, she has forgotten it, I have shouted, beaten her but the issue is still there.

I really don't want her to be a slow learner, I can say she is smart, intelligent and sharp in some things like she knows password to her mom's phone, she operates phone easily, there was a day I had difficulty in arranging the bed, she showed me her how to arrange the bed, I was very surprised but all this smartness and sharpness does not reflect on her academics, I just found out from her today that she copies her classwork from her classmates.

Please anyone ever experienced this? How did you go about it ?

Please give her full cream milk daily, it will improve her retentive memory. Also, there is this combo of mixing powdered garlic and original honey. Give her a spoon first thing in the morning and see wonders. Talking from experience. Honey is an underrated blessing.
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by RoyalBlu(f): 3:36pm On May 15
We4all:

Dey play. Drug manufacturers are looking for ways to sell their drugs and you guys keep falling for it. Omega 3 supplements doesn't do shit.

I never had those supplements. My diet wasn't even balanced. I wasn't enrolled in a private school. But at age 6, I was already a good reader and very smart. Some things na follow come.

I'm not playing chief. Some children just need the extra boost. Omega3 + Choline...

People that use it can attest to it's efficacy.

At age 6, a child should be able to read and write. I've got kids.
So I know what I'm talking about.
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On May 15
We4all:
■ Dey play. Drug manufacturers are looking for ways to sell their drugs and you guys keep falling for it. Omega 3 supplements doesn't do shit.
I never had those supplements. My diet wasn't even balanced. I wasn't enrolled in a private school. But at age 6, I was already a good reader and very smart. Some things na follow come.
Are you seriously trying to argue that every human being is exactly like you or what? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked PLease stop that bullsheet immediately! undecided

1 Like

Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by verifiablefacts: 4:40pm On May 15
Kobojunkie:
Difficulty focusing/concentrating or brain fog could be result of deficiency of even the protein kind, I recently discovered. grin

Prof,I hail thee.
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by 1Sharon(f): 5:34pm On May 15
Kobojunkie:
The child does well with smart phones so IQ and figuring out passwords so IQ is OK. Memory, particularly short-term deals with recalling what you have recently experienced and that seems to be where the complaint lies. undecided

Of course, I don't support OP flogging the child but I fit talk today till tomorrow and OP no go care. undecided

Yikes. I've read the OP again and a 6 year old not being able to identify letters of the alphabet is concerning, sounds like a developmental delay.
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On May 15
verifiablefacts:
■ Prof,I hail thee.
Na wetin experience do me! sad
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Pussyisgud: 9:02pm On May 15
bosco9:
OGUN KILL YOU
Amadioha wipe your entire generations, stupid gay
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Etosha: 7:59pm On May 16
bosco9:

I can swear with my life I have retentive memory than your entire generation

God pun!sh you, u Don pay school fee once, you Don run school run under hot sun with all the stress.

" Yes I do" is the answer Sir.
Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by Bodydiialect57: 8:27pm On May 16
RubiesBanking:
I think I have watched a movie before based on this scenario before. The kid was suffering from a condition related to dyslexia and dysgraphia . They both fall under specific learning disorder, maybe you might need to see a therapist to find out if she's suffering from this issue.

Her brain might be having difficulty decoding them, an example is not being able to tell O, P and D apart. You need to teach her in a much more slower detailed manner. if possible see a therapist to carefully evaluate the problem. You need to also go to her school to find out more about how she behaves in class, like if she has issues reading out loud from a book in front of the whole class, evaluate her test notes and exam paper to observe her writing style just to have a much more detailed overview of the issue is facing.

Also be careful with the beating, she might be trying her best to actually memorize those words. It'll instead demoralize her, making her confused as to why she's having difficulty remembering, which might not be her fault.

You are right as it may be a case of dyslexia.

@ Op, you could search for the movie " Like Stars On Earth" produced by Aamir Khan, an Indian actor.

1 Like

Re: My 6years Old Does Not Have Retentive Memory by hakeemhakeem(m): 4:58am On May 17
Since she knew her mother password I would advise you to those letters she can't identify as her mother password

(1) (2) (Reply)

S I N G L E P A R E N T I N G MADE EASY / Where Do You Think He Belong / Pls I Need A Good Advices Or Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.