Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,350 members, 7,850,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:29 PM

Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency (23150 Views)

Over 4 Invitations Were Sent To Him But He Ignored– Police On Portable's Arrest / Ex-DIG, Parry Osayande Says Police New Dress Code Is Illegal / Police Spokesperson, Muyiwa Adejobi: Police Not Aware Of Baba Ijesha’s Bail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Yelight(m): 1:00pm On May 15
The law is the law, no emotions!!!
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by mastermaestro(m): 1:00pm On May 15
dandollaz:
Somebody business.Mr lawyer shift abeg

This is how they will use police to pick up for a matter that is purely civil. Don't cry o. sad
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by OlujobaSamuel: 1:01pm On May 15
oluwaseyi0:
Nonsense lawyer

So if they start fighting each other physically and start constituting nuisance in the society that will be better than involving police, right?
The lawyer is right, you can only go to court to enforce your right to recovery
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by MT: 1:01pm On May 15
Police that would have added - Fraud, Threat to life etc to make the case looks criminal grin grin
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by sammirano2: 1:01pm On May 15
UnknownQueen:
Dear Lawyer,since indebtness isn't a criminal offence, kindly educate me on how to recover my funds from an heartless debtor who refuses to pay?

REMEMBER TO LEND SOMEONE MONEY IS HUMAN, BUT TO PAY BACK IS DIVINE

You have to seek ADR even worst case a debtor can claim bankruptcy, Nig is a crime scene, even Lagos PRO is bold to announce the arrest, this is why I don't rate the Nig legal system and so called lawyers

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by donbenie(m): 1:02pm On May 15
Mitsurugi:
My sentiments exactly. I don't understand why the Nigerian Police always have to condescend to such lows. It is a purely civil matter. You even went to get warrant. Ha! shocked

This is a country where Yahaya Bello went through you lots and escaped o
The plaintiff got the Warrant,the Police carried out an order..

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by donbenie(m): 1:04pm On May 15
OlujobaSamuel:

The lawyer is right, you can only go to court to enforce your right to recovery
Maybe,but an arrest warrant has been issued and the police were carrying out an order..
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by superCleanworks(m): 1:05pm On May 15
oluwaseyi0:
Nonsense lawyer

So if they start fighting each other physically and start constituting nuisance in the society that will be better than involving police, right?

Seems you know more than the lawyer. What are your qualifications?

So the police should make arrest based on events THAT HAVE NOT HAPPENED YET?
I am going to slap someone next Friday. So the police should arrest me right now to prevent future events?

I admire your smartness.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Madups(m): 1:05pm On May 15
tegini:
Nigeria is a zoo according to nnamdi kanu... But why portable go dey buy g wagon on credit , portable fk Big time
Person wey dey sell g wagon to portable on credit nor well sef.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Olurondo: 1:06pm On May 15
Living above his means.All these fools trying to drive and own a g-wagon When they can't afford it
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by theamazonguru(m): 1:06pm On May 15
Shebi na Portable dey always shout say Dem don rip am.
Now he has turned the table around, na im dey rip people now.
Abegi portable Goan pay the balance of the food wey you cook.
Na who price go pay
Who no price no suppose pay.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by OlujobaSamuel: 1:07pm On May 15
donbenie:
Maybe,but an arrest warrant has been issued and the police were carrying out an order..
I don't know about that and not disputing the enforcement of such.
Only addressing the view of using police as debt recovery agent
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by superCleanworks(m): 1:07pm On May 15
mastermaestro:
This is how they will use police to pick up for a matter that is purely civil. Don't cry o. sad

Don't mind them. But it is good to see such comments so you know the mental capacity of your fellow Nigerians.
Army and Police harrass them on the road for a civil matter and they start to beg and cry because they have zero idea of their rights and this collective stupidity is what gives the police the power to harass people.

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Mummyimbecile(m): 1:08pm On May 15
oluwaseyi0:
Nonsense lawyer

you guys are the reason your country is this way.

The police has no right to arrest portable over his debt. That is what the lawa say... Oh I forgot, the country is a lawless one by the way.

What the car dealer should have done is simply get a lawyer to write portable a demand notice, telling him emphatically to pay his debt or meet them in court. It's now in the place of the law court to recover the debt from him.

That's how it's done in a sane country

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by antiMuhamad: 1:09pm On May 15
Ategberoson I guess you know better than this lawyer?? It's not about searching the internet for bad news...these are facts and I don't have to search for news hitting the front page of the number one forum in Africa before I see such news. Will you shy away from these facts or admit it? How can you solve a problem if you are in denial of it's existence??
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by superCleanworks(m): 1:09pm On May 15
donbenie:

Any fool can issue an arrest warrant but you as a Nigerian should know that the legality of such a document can be challenged.

Make una dey know una rights.

Secondly, since when did issuance of arrest warrant justify the brutality of an UNARMED civilian? Yes he resisted arrest and he is within his rights to do so.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by drsibz66(m): 1:15pm On May 15
oluwaseyi0:
Nonsense lawyer

There are the school ma scam people.
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Agadinaagwuofe: 1:17pm On May 15
Majesty7:

The lawyer is right.

He is not right. If he is right why will the police get a court warrant. Owing debt is a civil case but when you fail to pay and abscond and after several trial to get you pay proves abortive the creditor can seek succour with court who will use police to enforce judgement.
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Kennitrust(m): 1:18pm On May 15
mastermaestro:
This nonsense happens across the country and people ignorantly think it is normal. What's police business with debts recovery? In the first instance, is owing money a criminal offence? E go tey before this country go get head o. sad
please educate me on how recover debt that I'm so confused on how to go about it.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by ejimatic: 1:19pm On May 15
Odewaleadesoye:
Abuja based legal practitioner, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has faulted the arrest and detention of Lagos based singer, Habeeb Okikiola aka Portable by operatives of the Nigeria Police over debt related matters.

The lawyer insisted that police missed the track and went out of its statutory functions as the law does not confer power to arrest over debt on the agency.

Portable was widely reported to have been arrested by the police in Lagos over his inability to pay for a G-Wagon vehicle he purchased from a motor stand.

Reacting to the development in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja, the lawyer said that although Portable may be troublesome, his arrest and the method of debt recovery employed by the Nigerian Police Force was in blatant disregard to the country’s laws.

the lawyer stated.

Olajengbesi therefore pleaded with the Nigerian Police Force not to reduce its esteem but to always act within the ambit of the law that established it..

DAILY POST
. The delear reported him to the police .The police are right to arrest him. The dealer is the complainant. Must you buy a car on credit?
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by drsibz66(m): 1:19pm On May 15
superCleanworks:

Don't mind them. But it is good to see such comments so you know the mental capacity of your fellow Nigerians.
Army and Police harrass them on the road for a civil matter and they start to beg and cry because they have zero idea of their rights and this collective stupidity is what gives the police the power to harass people.

You absolutely right.. you see that phrase "collective stupid " is that the Nigerian police has preyed on for decades to molest Nigerians. Cos any police assumes any Nigerian by default doesn't know his right .
The police also don't even know the roles or duties..
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Immunity1555: 1:20pm On May 15
Please 🙏 someone should tell Portable to drop his Acc NO,let see what I can do,I don't want problem,I want Peace,Mind you I am not saying I will clear the Debt ooo
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Available9: 1:22pm On May 15
oluwaseyi0:
Nonsense lawyer

Shut up...if someone is owing you, take him to court...not harassing him or her with police. Go school you no gree
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Agadinaagwuofe: 1:22pm On May 15
UnknownQueen:
Dear Lawyer,since indebtness isn't a criminal offence, kindly educate me on how to recover my funds from an heartless debtor who refuses to pay?

Don't pay attention to what he said. When a chronic debtor fails to pay file a court case to summon him indirectly you can file a police case against him "for abscondment" after several visits and not seeing the person. The police will get a court injunction to arrest him and he/she can now make an agreement on how to pay the money. If recovering debt in all entirety is out of police purview then Nigeria would have been a jungle where everyone recovers money as he or she seems fit

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by victorbass1234: 1:24pm On May 15
Odewaleadesoye:
Abuja based legal practitioner, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has faulted the arrest and detention of Lagos based singer, Habeeb Okikiola aka Portable by operatives of the Nigeria Police over debt related matters.

The lawyer insisted that police missed the track and went out of its statutory functions as the law does not confer power to arrest over debt on the agency.

Portable was widely reported to have been arrested by the police in Lagos over his inability to pay for a G-Wagon vehicle he purchased from a motor stand.

Reacting to the development in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja, the lawyer said that although Portable may be troublesome, his arrest and the method of debt recovery employed by the Nigerian Police Force was in blatant disregard to the country’s laws.

the lawyer stated.

Olajengbesi therefore pleaded with the Nigerian Police Force not to reduce its esteem but to always act within the ambit of the law that established it.

DAILY POST

Owning money is not criminal ok.
I hear you
But when you refuse to pay the money after all talks pleading and begging and negotiation. It becomes a breach of contract.
Ok so now can police be involved in that one or not ?
Ok.
So who do we call. What law enforcement should be called when a debtor owning several millions refuses to pay after asking him to settle his debt amicably and keeps turning the tables.

Nigerians and follow mentality.
The lawyer said trash.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by millionboi2: 1:25pm On May 15
Motivational speakers don kill portable 😂😀😂
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by DaddyGngeess(m): 1:25pm On May 15
hurryup123:
How you go carry clear eye give portable motor for credit

Hahahaha, but he will pay shall the only thing that will be hard here is getting the money in full, na small small them go pay that money finish
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by millionboi2: 1:26pm On May 15
Olurondo:
Living above his means.All these fools trying to drive and own a g-wagon When they can't afford it
na motivational speakers 😂😀😂
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by Vyzz: 1:26pm On May 15
HopeNeverDies:
Damnnn!!!!

Big Smoke Pelu Tobacco.... 💔

Make pesin epp me complete am...

True true, The Police has Lost its credibility. Police Department has never been a Debt Recovery Department!

Where bobrisky?? 😂😂... She/he for don talk 😹

If someone is owning me and I don't want to take the matter into my own hands, what do I do pls?
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by drsibz66(m): 1:26pm On May 15
obaidan:

So he was arrested to prevent fight from starting. Read what you just typed, Listen to yourself, how do you think you sound? Debt matter is a civil matter.
The only way out for police in this is to cook up charges of fraud. If na just debt as dem talk, it is a civil case and and no ne should be detained.

Ignore the idiot. Don't know some people type without their brains. School na scam people.
Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by qtx(m): 1:28pm On May 15
Odewaleadesoye:

the lawyer stated.

Olajengbesi therefore pleaded with the Nigerian Police Force not to reduce its esteem but to always act within the ambit of the law that established it.

DAILY POST
Police have jurisdiction over debt case because its a criminal offense when you owe and agree to pay but fail to pay. Everyone that manage to go to law school will just be showing himself even when the case is obvious. Anyway, what do i know?

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Faults Portable’s Arrest, Says Police Not Debt Recovery Agency by cunny88(m): 1:29pm On May 15
UnknownQueen:

There are civil courts that attends to such cases

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Alaka Abayomi: Controversy Over Whereabout Of Alhaji Arrested For Badoo Killings / Graduate, Four Others Nabbed With N57m Cocaine / Nigerian Customs Seize Pangolin Scales, Claws Worth Over ₦1.7 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.