Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,589 members, 7,843,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 (10214 Views)

Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 / Igboho: Oro Worshippers Impose 7-day Curfew; Women, Visitors To Remain Indoors / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by peekspot(m): 4:14pm On May 15

This year’s edition of the annual traditional ‘Oro’ festival, usually held in Ikorodu, Lagos State, has been scheduled for May 16, 2024, daytime and nighttime.

This was disclosed in a letter issued by the Ayangburen Palace and signed by the Ayangburen of Ikorodu, Oba Kabiru Shotobi; a copy of which was sighted by PUNCH Online on Sunday.

The letter, dated April 16, 2024, was addressed to the Medical Director of the Ikorodu General Hospital.

The letter, titled ‘Notification of Magbo (Oro) Festival 2024,’ read, “This is to notify you of the above festival, which is slated for Thursday, May 16, 2024.

“According to tradition, all females are advised to remain in their respective homes and avoid moving around the town during the Oro festival.

“Please note that your organisation is affected by falling within the Oro traditional jurisdictions. You are hereby advised to adhere to the traditions of the town.”

The Oro festival, among others, is a prominent festival in the Yoruba tradition.

It’s celebrated by male descendants and usually characterised by a daytime procession and high-pitched sounds in some areas or across the community as the case may be.

It’s believed that females mustn’t be present during the ritual rites of the festival.

The Lagos State Commissioner for Information, Gbenga Omotosho; and the spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, did not take their calls when our correspondent called to get their reaction on Sunday.

They have also not responded to the text messages sent to them.

Efforts made to get more clarification on the matter from the Ikorodu Palace also did not yield positive results as the calls made were unanswered.

https://punchng.com/traditional-festival-lagos-community-warns-females-to-stay-indoors-may-16/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by vanbonattel: 4:14pm On May 15
Religious intolerance

6 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by chopnaira: 4:17pm On May 15
vanbonattel:
Religious intolerance

Religious war right?

Anyway, this topic is the answer to those olodos saying Oro was brought out because of election.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Gajagojo: 4:18pm On May 15
Mama Sooks
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Exousiang01(m): 4:21pm On May 15
They have a right to practice that within their jurisdiction.

We have a similar thing in my place, I wont be happy if you come to my place and disrespect the ways of my ancestors in the name of civilisation.
I wont advice anyone to disrespect another mans way of life.

If you no like their tradition comot from their land.... Simple

We are Africans, we were Africans before the white man came.
No matter how you try to adapt the white mans ways of life, the white man will still identify you as an African, you will never be called a European, if you think I am lying ask the African-Americans, notice that the word "African" came first.....

Being an African with a white mans culture is like a lion who barks.
You lost your identity, you lost your whole point of being.
A man without identity is a man who does not exist

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by hisexcellency34: 4:24pm On May 15
In this age and time? Females should go about their lawful businesses. The police will protect them

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by chopnaira: 4:26pm On May 15
Exousiang01:

We have a similar thing in my place, I wont be happy if you come to my place and disrespect the ways of my ancestors in the namw oc civilisation.

No matter how you try to adapt the white mans ways of life, the white man will still identify you as an African, you will never be called a European, if you think I am lying ask the African-Americans, notice that the word "African" came first.....

You lost your identity, you lost your while point of being.
God bless you.

14 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by BossGerald: 4:28pm On May 15
chopnaira:

Religious war right?

Anyway, this topic is the answer to those olodos saying Oro was brought out because of election.

Change this location to Anambra and you'll see yourself yapping how barbaric such culture is in this 21st century.

What sort of useless tradition is this

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by pistol: 4:28pm On May 15
Lagos that claims to be an international city still stuck in the middle ages.. imagine New York City telling all the females to say indoors for 24 hours.. imagine loss of productivity and decline in GDP...No wonder everything is in Reversal in this Banana Republic.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by dododawa1: 4:32pm On May 15
obedient

people

is better

to

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Exousiang01(m): 4:33pm On May 15
Paraman:
Ikorodu is no man's land, Igbo women will walk around the whole of Ikorodu on that day
They have a right to move to igbo land and go about their business.
I am aware that they arr festivals or and masquerades in igbo land that forbid the presence of women also.
They can go and dececrate their land.
Not another mans land.

You want to respect your culure but because they want to sell eguisi and ugwu they will disrespect another mans culture.....

Thats an animalistic behaviour.
Humans know how to cohabit animals don't

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Lanretoye(m): 5:08pm On May 15
hisexcellency34:
In this age and time? Females should go about their lawful businesses. The police will protect them
you wan charge Oro to court?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Melagros(m): 5:53pm On May 15
COMRADES, sometimes when I see businesses being closed because of some primitive activities I get lost
So, you mean women shouldn't go to the office that day because of a primitive belief that did not help Nigeria in any way

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by chopnaira: 6:06pm On May 15
Exousiang01:

They have a right to move to igbo land and go about their business.
I am aware that they arr festivals or and masquerades in igbo land that forbid the presence of women also.
They can go and dececrate their land.
Not another mans land.

You want to respect your culure but because they want to sell eguisi and ugwu they will disrespect another mans culture.....

Thats an animalistic behaviour.
Humans know how to cohabit animals don't
Not long ago, we saw a video of a nurse flogged mercilessly into the gutter by some Ibo masquerades in Enugu.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by CountinBlessins(m): 6:26pm On May 15
Fūck Oro festival, fūck ikorodu, fūck the thugs and touts who run amock during this savage practice angry
If you like the Oro barbarism then fūck you too
angry
Stupid retrogressive practice. On one hand you shout women liberation and empowerment yet you support this trashy gutter nonsensical barbaric practice the encourages the rape and murder of women for stepping outside on a day?

Fūck all supporters and practitioners of Oro
angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Nyahabingi: 6:29pm On May 15
grin
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Lanretoye(m): 6:29pm On May 15
CountinBlessins:
Fūck Oro festival, fūck ikorodu, fūck the thugs and touts who run amock during this savage practice angry
angry
if you love your mother and sisters truly,send them out during the procession.

12 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by goslowgoslow(m): 6:30pm On May 15
chopnaira:

Religious war right?

Do you blame them? When I was young oro was a yearly thing in Yourba land, all of a sudden we stopped.

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by potbelly(m): 6:30pm On May 15
As seen...

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by kannymoore(m): 6:31pm On May 15
peekspot:

https://punchng.com/traditional-festival-lagos-community-warns-females-to-stay-indoors-may-16/

So if I be woman and I get medical emergency. I can't come out on said date because of Wetin?

Una funny sha!

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by christejames(m): 6:31pm On May 15
Africa is time we start pruning some aspects of out culture that are still anachronistic to modernity like this... Culture should be progressive

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by goslowgoslow(m): 6:31pm On May 15
CountinBlessins:
angry
This one is probably OSU!
You go Bleep taya!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Eriggs: 6:31pm On May 15
hisexcellency34:
Make u carry ur sisters go now.
Make bodi tell dem one by one.

10 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by jmoore(m): 6:33pm On May 15
Barbaric! They should embrace civilization.

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by CountinBlessins(m): 6:33pm On May 15
goslowgoslow:

This one is probably OSU!
You go Bleep taya!

Fūck OSU and fūck you angry

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by 2RightHands1Coc(m): 6:33pm On May 15
Ritualist all of Una

ENKR
Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by CountinBlessins(m): 6:34pm On May 15
Lanretoye:
if you love your mother and sisters truly,send them out during the procession.

Fūck you. Fūck Oro barbaric backward uncivilized trash festival and all its practitioners angry

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by Coldspice: 6:34pm On May 15
Lagos is no man's land abi?

Ngozi, If them born una well, make una ladies come out tomorrow.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 by goslowgoslow(m): 6:35pm On May 15
Exousiang01:

We have a similar thing in my place, I wont be happy if you come to my place and disrespect the ways of my ancestors in the name of civilisation.

You lost your identity, you lost your whole point of being.
You too sabi!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alusi: A Study Of Igbo Gods / When the Arabian peninsula was Northeast Africa(for The Anthropologist Among Us) / Why Must Nigerians Abroad Marry Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.